• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

So i feel like experimenting a bit with radio writing and was thinking of doing, like a 5-10 minute piece in the style of radiolab or This American Life for s.link fm about Inaba and its sense of place as distinct in JRPG and games as a whole, thoughts

Jintor

Well, it'll be a while, since I have to do some things I'll actually get paid for first...

On a vaguely related note, does anybody know where I could get some CRAZY high res screenshots of P4, like on a PS2 emulator or something?

Funny you should say that. I think that's one of the things they do best.

Before you inevitably call them on asset repeats in Dragon Age II, remember P4 does the same thing with Inaba.

That's exactly it; it's not what was used but how it was used. Inaba and the game in general felt bigger than it was, Kirkwall smaller and was always reminding the player of that smallness.

Just finished my first playthough of P4G, using only Izanagi the whole way through. I had played the ps2 version already so i wanted to challenge myself somehow. Turns out using only Izanagi makes the whole game waaay easier, not harder. Still had a blast seeing all of the added content though.

Squire

Banned
That's exactly it; it's not what was used but how it was used. Inaba and the game in general felt bigger than it was, Kirkwall smaller and was always reminding the player of that smallness.

It was small, but it had a lot going on. Size doesn't make a place any more or less believable and cluing you in on the scale of your location shouldn't be a detriment so much as just additional info.

It's big, It's small; it's a moot point.

cj_iwakura

Just finished my first playthough of P4G, using only Izanagi the whole way through. I had played the ps2 version already so i wanted to challenge myself somehow. Turns out using only Izanagi makes the whole game waaay easier, not harder. Still had a blast seeing all of the added content though.

No Social Link would be the best way, I think. Could make fusing incredibly tedious though.

No Social Link would be the best way, I think. Could make fusing incredibly tedious though.

Yeah when I did my full s.link run in P3P I made the mistake of doing it on hard, which jacks up all of the summoning costs from the compendium. It made the game way harder, but in a frustrating way, not a challenging way. I want to avoid just plain frustrating stuff from now on haha

PK Gaming

Food for thought:

Ultimate Personas need to stop being infeasible in the main game. In P3/P4, we get access to the protagonists ultimate Persona... at level 90, and to add insult to injury, they aren't even the best Personas in the game. (
Izanagi-no-Okami
and Messiah* are absolutely outdone by nearly every Persona in its level range). It's very silly, considering that you want to use your protagonists ultimate personas during the final battle (alongside the other ultimate personas) and lvl 90 fusion requirement basically kills that (since at lvl 90 you've basically killed the games challenge, so I don't see a point.)

And before anyone says postgame (or
Margeret in P4s case
), there are better Personas for postgame that are available at a lower level.

So yeah,
Izanagi-no-Okami
and Messiah should have been lvl 75-80~ Personas. At lvl 90, they're essentially trophy Personas.

*P3P kind of addresses this issue by granting Messiah spell master, but that still doesn't excuse the lvl 90 block.

Food for thought:

And before anyone says postgame (or Margeret in P4s case), there are better Personas for postgame that are available at a lower level.

But isn't Orpheus Telos more or less required for the superboss in P3? I would most definitely consider that an ultimate persona, even though that's about all it's good for.

Squire

Banned
So yeah, Izanagi-no-Okami and Messiah should have been lvl 75-80~ Personas. At lvl 90, they're essentially trophy Personas.

This is exactly what they are. The ultimate Personas are symbolic of the personal growth of the characters, first and foremost.

Also, this whole line of discussion should probably be spoiler-tagged.

PK Gaming

But isn't Orpheus Telos more or less required for the superboss in P3? I would most definitely consider that an ultimate persona, even though that's about all it's good for.

Heck no!

This is exactly what they are. The ultimate Personas are symbolic of the personal growth of the characters, first and foremost.

Also, this whole line of discussion should probably be spoiler-tagged.

I fail to see how that justifies placing them at a ridiculously high when level. And if that's the case than they should unquestionably be the best Personas in the game. The main protagonists from P2 all receive their personas around the same time that their teammates do, and I think that's the better model.

And good call, going back and spoiler tagging my previous post now.

EDIT: Not being able to register either Persona is flat out cruel. What were they thinking ._.

Young Magus

Heck no!

I fail to see how that justifies placing them at a ridiculously high when level. And if that's the case than they should unquestionably be the best Personas in the game. The main protagonists from P1-2 all receive their personas around the same time that their teammates do, and I think that's the better model.

And good call, going back and spoiler tagging my previous post now.

EDIT: Not being able to register either Persona is flat out cruel. What were they thinking ._.
It is the better model, changing to that however would require for the formula to be heavy edited to give the MC a more clear/define arcana rather then the fool. So eh

It is the better model, changing to that however would require for the formula to be heavy edited to give the MC a more clear/define arcana rather then the fool. So eh

Yeah story-wise it would actually probably be cooler and whatever if you got your new persona through the plot. But you would probably stop using it in the same way you stop using your original persona.

PK Gaming

I don't think it's necessary to outright change it. Dropping the levels of the ultimate Personas to a reasonable level (a few notches higher than the "average endgame party lvl) would suffice.

I don't think it's necessary to outright change it. Dropping the levels of the ultimate Personas to a reasonable level (a few notches higher than the "average endgame party lvl) would suffice.

Actually now that I think about it, I think they want you to focus more on fusing other personas, instead of having a BEST endgame persona. The trophy persona argument is probably the one that makes the most sense.

PK Gaming

Actually now that I think about it, I think they want you to focus more on fusing other personas, instead of having a BEST endgame persona. The trophy persona argument is probably the one that makes the most sense.

Well even if you drop their levels to a reasonable range, they still aren't the BEST endgame Personas. I can definitely see where you're coming from, but things like Yoshitsune or Odin and Siegfried (Personas that just invalidate the game) throw a wrench into that argument.

I don't see a problem with making them usable earlier. They're not that strong, and wicked cool so what's the harm?

Well even if you drop their levels to a reasonable range, they still aren't the BEST endgame Personas. I can definitely see where you're coming from, but things like Yoshitsune or Odin and Siegfried (Personas that just invalidate the game) throw a wrench into that argument.

I don't see a problem with making them usable earlier. They're not that strong, and wicked cool so what's the harm?

Fair enough, and yeah having to grind to 92 or whatever, for the "ultimate" persona in 4, then not being allowed to register it is almost cruel. You'll have it for three dungeons at best, if you grind hardcore. I just think getting the personas earlier kind of throws away how cool they are. It takes a serious amount of work to get them.

^once found a web site that had absolutely every character in Persona and several from the other series like yours, even black Mark was in it.

yky7.jpg

ultimate personas were largely unfeasible in persona 1 so it's a tradition
although i guess in innocent sin they're just kind of handed to you and they're total broken, then in eternal punishment they were toned the h*ck down (remember how everyone but apollo had a signature skill that hit all enemies + inflict status ailments? that was p. cray)

Samyy

They filed for government assisted restructuring, not dead yet!
I don't know how this might affect the team working on the game though but I don't imagine it will all too much.

Sophia

Atlus is dead. Persona 5 is a lie.

Index: "Do not try and play Persona 5. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth."

GAF: "What truth?"

Index: "There is no Persona 5"

GAF: "There is no Persona 5?"

Index: "Then you'll see, that it is not Persona you were playing, it was only yourself.... "

pirata

I mean...P5 has to survive this, right? They've been developing it at least since 2010. SOMEONE will save it and let the team finish it, right?

Trigger

I mean...P5 has to survive this, right? They've been developing it at least since 2010. SOMEONE will save it and let the team finish it, right?

You can't just leave money like that sitting on the table. The series is more popular now than it has ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom