• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

What? It isn't a competition to see who's right or closest in their "predictions". Anybody who sees it that way is part of the problem.

People want the game to be announced - why make it more complicated than that? Why is this getting so weirdly selfish and personal for some people?

If there's a "lack of perspective" as you say, then by all means, enlighten us. I'm open to having my eyes opened, myself.

I'll leave it you to decide whether it's become as personal as you perceive it to be, seeing as you've suddenly decided that a statement was aimed squarely at them

And I only brought up the subject of predictions, because it has invariably become the subject around here. It's understandable to a degree, people are, after all, clamoring for something new. It's just that it has now has become speculation just for the sheer sake of speculation, attaching meaning to anything that even has a vague link to Persona. It's tiresome to have to witness ad nauseam.

I just say this as someone who wishes to become a more active member of the community, but am deterred because of these reasons. This thread has just become so puerile.

Squire

Banned
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the P4G thread, but anyway, a podcast I listen to called Operation Kino had a segment on P4G. What I found surprising about that is that, as primarily a film podcast, most of the people on the show don't play or care about videogames beyond knowing that they exist - indeed, the P4G discussion is sandwiched between a review of The Butler and a larger discussion of how film documents history.

But because of that different perspective, it was interesting to see a game discussed, if not reviewed, in a film context. That is, he talks about the meaning behind the S-links and how he relates to their representation in a work of art as opposed to say, which Personas you should fuse to get Victory Cry so that you can complete the dungeons in one day.

I have no idea if anyone else would find this interesting in any way, but I thought it was a neat perspective.

Here's the link with timestamps included: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Oper...Film-Some-Breaking-Bad-Speculation-38971.html

I actually listen to OpKino! I can't believe I missed this. (I've been slipping lately.)

Personally, the few times before this that they've discussed games, I found the conversation to be uninformed and inane.

They thought Lara Croft gets raped in Tomb Raider (she does not).

They thought Ellen Paige actually played Ellie in The Last of Us (she does not).

I like the crew a bunch, but they're hosted on (since Katey Rich writes for) CinemaBlend which is a categorically clueless when posting gaming news.

I'm just generally not a fan of film bloggers discussing games because - with a few exceptions - they very rarely have their facts straight and no what they're talking about, and the condescending tone they often take, whether it's in an editorial or on a podcast, creates some cringe-worthy results.

All that said, I'm interested to hear them talk about P4G. (I'm assuming it was Dave who played it.)

I'll leave it you to decide whether it's become as personal as you perceive it to be, seeing as you've suddenly decided that a statement was aimed squarely at them

And I only brought up the subject of predictions, because it has invariably become the subject around here. It's understandable to a degree, people are, after all, clamoring for something new. It's just that it has now has become speculation just for the sheer sake of speculation, attaching meaning to anything that even has a vague link to Persona. It's tiresome to have to witness ad nauseam.

I just say this as someone who wishes to become a more active member of the community, but am deterred because of these reasons. This thread has just become so puerile.

That's fair enough.

Tough love though: These little drive-by, knowledge-bomb posts of yours aren't really helping.

If you want to change the discussion/help it get back on course, then do so. We're a pretty welcoming bunch, I think it's fair to say. No one here is determined to keep a conflict going once it has started. They come and pass. I don't think you should feel discouraged from posting, but obviously your threshold is yours to define.

Total-drama-island-logo.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They thought Ellen Paige actually played Ellie in The Last of Us (she does not).

All that said, I'm interested to hear them talk about P4G. (I'm assuming it was Dave who played it.)

I remember that mistake. I laughed when they edited in the correction right after the segment. lol
And yeah, it was David who played it. He's the only one who plays games on the show anyway. The others were mostly clueless, with Patches trying to talk just so it didn't become a monologue (poor Dave).

I'm willing to forgive mistakes for the most part because game journalists just don't talk about any of this stuff. Understandably so, because people only care about review scores and "gameplay" when they read a game review or listen to a game podcast, but most discussion essentially ignores any of the more human elements of a video game. The fact that David thinks Persona 4 achieves a better representation of life and human relationships than The Walking Dead game is an interesting discussion that no one is really willing to have in the games press (because their audience doesn't want it).

Sophia

The subject on life simulators in the podcast is interesting. Particularly with the one person mentioning how he looks for feelings in movies, but when that same concept is applied to a game it could be frightening.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The subject on life simulators in the podcast is interesting. Particularly with the one person mentioning how he looks for feelings in movies, but when that same concept is applied to a game it could be frightening.
I think he sees film as self-reflective and games as a possible escape. Which, I suppose, is somewhat true based on the idea of video game addiction (and Love Plus waifus?).

Sophia

I think he sees film as self-reflective and games as a possible escape. Which, I suppose, is somewhat true based on the idea of video game addiction (and Love Plus waifus?).

He's not entirely wrong in that regards. I do see some escapism elements in games such as Love Plus, and some of the lesser (in quality) dating sims.

It seems like games like Persona series, Xenogears, and some of the higher qualtiy visual novels may actually be up his alley however. They have little escapism elements, and are more in line with what he sees. Heck, Xenogears is effectively a Stanley Kubrick tribute. :p

Levito

Banned
This is actually kind of the point of the IRC. It's to prevent this thread from becoming mindless banter between clique members (which is bad, and can potentially get this thread locked), and more on the subject of Persona. Plus it makes it easier for people to join this thread, which is always a good thing.

Yes I understand that, I was addressing the point on speculation in IRC vs. the community thread.

Again, what do you want to see more of?

I actually believe my POV is fairly in line with yours, just in a different way. Often I find there's far too much pessimism in here. Even just the other day the entire page was "Peronsa 3 sucks cause of this, Persona 2 sucks cause of this, Persona 4 sucks cause of this etc" and it's completely overbearing at times.

My biggest suggestion for the thread: Drop the "secret source said this, this, and this about Persona 5". In every instance it's done nobody any favours.

Now then, I'll ask again: What was the set list for the concert last night?

Sophia

No official setlist exists, and I doubt people paid attention to the order to write it down. :p

My biggest suggestion for the thread: Drop the "secret source said this, this, and this about Persona 5". In every instance it's done nobody any favours.

Agreed. Nobody has any proper sources anyhow, and the vast majority of what was heard is completely outdated, irrelevant, or flat out wrong anyhow.

Squire

Banned

I could agree to drop that. Speculation is fun, but people are taking it way to personally and misinterpreting what they're reading, and just generally being snide and vindictive. The latter disgusts me to no end. It's video games - there's no need to hold grudges and ridicule people.

Anyway, the set-list. Oh man.

Off the top of my head? True Story, FES, Burn My Dread, Pursuing My True Self, Snowflakes; it was hits, man.

And the theme for Spring of Birth, "Mire Than One Heart"? Chorus had me like....

Dayum-Five-Guys-Reaction-1.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's not entirely wrong in that regards. I do see some escapism elements in games such as Love Plus, and some of the lesser (in quality) dating sims.

It seems like games like Persona series, Xenogears, and some of the higher qualtiy visual novels may actually be up his alley however. They have little escapism elements, and are more in line with what he sees. Heck, Xenogears is effectively a Stanley Kubrick tribute. :p

Well, I don't know if anyone else on the show will ever really play a video game though. lol

Sophia

Well, I don't know if anyone else on the show will ever really play a video game though. lol

That kinda sucks. I don't really know much about the people on the show, as I don't listen to Operation Kino. So all I have to go off of is what they said in the podcast.

Levito

Banned
On the anime episode you said you didn't like True Story. :p

Did they play The Battle For Everyone's Souls?

Japanese crowds are often so reserved at big concerts, how was the crowd last night? Was that a rad pit?

I remember Tom Araya from Slayer saying the first time they played there that everyone sat in their seats and lightly clapped like it was symphony music. haha

Squire

Banned
What? Did I? I like True Story! I'm like one of the only people that likes the band scenes in P4G with no caveats, haha. I must've been thinking of another song...

cjkeats

Spoilerd for those who want to be surprised:
1) True Motherfucking Story
2) Mass Destruction
3) Brand New Days
4) Battle Hymn of the Soul
5) FES
6) Burn my Dread -Last Battle-
7) Beauty of Destiny
8) Key Plus Words
10) Fog
11) Snowflakes
12) More Than One Heart (P3 movie song)
13) Now I Know
14) Heaven
15) Your Affection
16) Pursuing My True Self
17) Deep Breath
18) Memories of You
19) The Junes Hero
20) Shadows Of The Labyrinth
21) Heartfelt Cry (Arena Mix)
22) Spirited Girl
23) Best Friends
24) Burn my Dread
25) Time to Make History
Encore - 1
26) Shadow World
26) Never More
Encore - 2
26) Reach Out To The Truth (full band version)

Levito

Banned
So they played
Your Affection but not The Genesis or Battle for everyone's Souls.

Your Affection
is not moshing material.

Sophia

So they played
Your Affection but not The Genesis or Battle for everyone's Souls.

Your Affection
is not moshing material.

Look closer.
Battle for Everyone's Souls was #4
keats just used the official Atlus translation.

Levito

Banned
Thought that may be the case, but they use "for everyone's souls" several times so I figured it was a different song entirely.

Better have been a pit!

Yeah frightening, if you stick your head too far into the TV/game world you could get lost in the fog :p.

Really though I think all games do attempt to be immersive and/or addictive so as to provide a temporary escape in their own ways. Interesting that he mentions P4 has a sort of 'rhythm'. I think that's one way the game sort of hooks you. Heck when he said it, in my head I could see that screen that comes up as you move from one day to the next and it sort of bobs along :p.

14) Heaven

Aw man, I wanna hear these.

kewlmyc

1) True Motherfucking Story
2) Mass Destruction
3) Brand New Days
5) FES
6) Burn my Dread -Last Battle-
7) Beauty of Destiny
8) Key Plus Words
10) Fog
11) Snowflakes
12) More Than One Heart (P3 movie song)
13) Now I Know
14) Heaven
15) Your Affection
16) Pursuing My True Self
17) Deep Breath
18) Memories of You
19) The Junes Hero
22) Spirited Girl
23) Best Friends
24) Burn my Dread
25) Time to Make History
Encore - 1
26) Shadow World
26) Never More
Encore - 2
26) Reach Out To The Truth (full band version)

No P3P songs? FeMC truly is non-canon, :p

"The thing you want exists and someday you might see it. Please be excited."

THE ONLY THING STOPPING THIS HYPE TRAIN IS A BRICK WALL CALLED "REALITY".

Sophia

Nirolak's thread has already derailed to senseless port begging. Good god. This is why I did not make a thread on it myself.

Levito

Banned
Lordy everyone, Hashino said exactly nothing.

"Next year is set to bring many announcements"

Not even getting announced till next year- wait no no stay away from the ledge.

PK Gaming

Lordy everyone, Hashino said exactly nothing.

"Next year is set to bring many announcements"

Not even getting announced till next year- wait no no stay away from the ledge.

It's like Nyarlathotep himself invaded this thread.

He preyed on our insecurities and fears and got us to claw at the throats of our friends. He's gone now but he's an undeniable, indelible presence in our hearts, and may still return.

Levito

Banned
^Give it a day and it'll probably be on youtube, may already be as well!

It's like Nyarlathotep himself invaded this thread.

He preyed on our insecurities and fears and got us to claw at the throats of our friends. He's gone now but he's an undeniable, indelible presence in our hearts, and may still return.

Hey PK, knock knock.

kewlmyc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom