• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
I wasn't blaming anyone aside from myself for getting swept up into the hype.

You can tell everyone's pretty disappointed. haha

Tread lightly.

FluxWaveZ

It goes without saying nothing is certain. I'm not going to flag every statement I make with "IMO" or some such. You don't know me as a trusted source for Atlus news, so don't give me that wait.

Ironically, you're normally the biggest pessimist (not an insult), so I figured you didn't!

You keep saying that, so I guess you're agreeing that anything you state as fact shouldn't be taken seriously in the future because "you don't work at Atlus." Noted.

And you know why I'm one of the biggest pessimists when it comes to potential Persona 5 news? Because I'm one of the people anticipating it the most and it's people like you who use constant "insider information" or "it will be different this time" comments as a crutch to lend credence to what they're saying when they're actually just theorizing like the rest of us that made me so cynical regarding this. It's why claiming you have insider info that is actually false is a bannable offense on NeoGAF.

This pisses me off.

Sophia

Flux and Inorigo: Take it to PMs. We do not need you two endlessly bickering in this thread.

Man I sure do like Persona games how about you guys

I was playing Persona 4 Golden at the hospital today. Had a good 30 minutes while I waited for my mother to have a scope test done. I think I've taken my min/maxing to excessive levels.... I'm gonna be like level 20 before I even fight Shadow Yukiko at this rate.

To anyone expecting any game announcements at that concert

oh_wow.gif

ST2K

I keep debating whether or not to go back and get Hardcore Risette Fan.

On the one hand, I want that platinum. On the other, fuck that trophy.

Squire

Banned
Flux I couldn't care what pisses you off if I tried.

It's not my fault anyone is disappointed a game wasn't announced. It was childish to try and pin it on me. It was dumb to expect me not to having anything to say about that.

I never lied. That's my last word.

Lunar15

This went to really weird places. I always assume people are joking around about this stuff.... you know, like friends.

I take everything I hear on this site with an enormous grain of salt. Stuff from mods, insider information, even real reporting from "legitimate sites". Hell, I barely even take statements from the directors themselves as truth.

Any idle speculation we have on this thread is just hopeful and something to pass the time. Hyping yourself up off of someone else's information is your own fault. We'll all have plenty of time to be emotional when the game is actually announced.

I dunno, this conversation is weird and unwarranted. There's a conversational disconnect. Either someone's taking stuff too seriously, or we're all misunderstanding tone. Walk away and come back later.

You keep saying that, so I guess you're agreeing that anything you state as fact shouldn't be taken seriously in the future because "you don't work at Atlus." Noted.

And you know why I'm one of the biggest pessimists when it comes to potential Persona 5 news? Because I'm one of the people anticipating it the most and it's people like you who use constant "insider information" or "it will be different this time" comments as a crutch to lend credence to what they're saying when they're actually just theorizing like the rest of us that made me so cynical regarding this. It's why claiming you have insider info that is actually false is a bannable offense on NeoGAF.

This pisses me off.

+100000000

IRC is the last haven.

Lunar15

You guys are basically just reinacting the final part of Yosuke's social link.

Now knock yourselves out and lay on the floor for a while.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So....hot off the heels of finishing Innocent Sin, I'm about to finally purchase Soul Hackers and SMTIV(to take advantage of the $30 promo before it gets locked out).

But even after having owned Nocturne since it released, I never really spent time with it beyond the first couple hours. Really want to jump into one of these three games. (Nocturne, SMTIV, SH)

Recommended choice?
Just play P4G you fool!

ST2K

So....hot off the heels of finishing Innocent Sin, I'm about to finally purchase Soul Hackers and SMTIV(to take advantage of the $30 promo before it gets locked out).

But even after having owned Nocturne since it released, I never really spent time with it beyond the first couple hours. Really want to jump into one of these three games. (Nocturne, SMTIV, SH)

Recommended choice?
Just play P4G you fool!

They're gonna say Nocturne. That seems to be thought of extremely highly by SMT fans.

Sophia

If you already own Nocturne and you haven't played it, then that's the obvious choice. Soul Hackers is the easiest of the choices difficulty wise, but I'd play it before IV simply because IV will likely make Soul Hackers feel ever so slightly dated. Of course, your mileage may vary there.

Tamanon

Banned

Recommended choice?
Just play P4G you fool!

Nocturne and SMT4 are both outstanding games. I'd probably recommend Nocturne first to get a feel for the difference between SMT and Persona, but you can still jump right into SMT4.

Levito

Banned
IRC is the last haven.

Hahaha IRC is the worst for speculation/false P5 hype. (least the times I've been there)

At the end of the day it's not a big deal guys. A videogame wasn't announced, many people(you know who you are) have propagated and spread rumours of P5's release for the better part of a year now. It's more a running joke than anything at this point.

Don't worry, in time it'll be out and everyone can start complaining how much it's not like Persona 2! :D

Astra

Despite some fighting every now and again, PGaf is the best. I like all of you guys and girls.
I like Ron's in your face attitude.
I like the way Dantis is always speaking his mind.
I like Flux's... I like Flux.

And we don't need no Persona 5,as long as we have each other.

Tamanon

Banned
Despite some fighting every now and again, PGaf is the best. I like all of you guys and girls.

I would sacrifice you all for Persona 5.

Squire

Banned
Hahaha IRC is the worst for speculation/false P5 hype. (least the times I've been there)

At the end of the day it's not a big deal guys. A videogame wasn't announced, many people(you know who you are) have propagated and spread rumours of P5's release for the better part of a year now. It's more a running joke than anything at this point.

Don't worry, in time it'll be out and everyone can start complaining how much it's not like Persona 2! :D

This is what I thought.

Am I kawaii?

Levito

Banned
IRC is the best when it's me and buddha speculating story and gameplay stuff. Between the two of us I think we know virtually everything there is to know about the Persona series.

Inside sources has claimed otherwise, information proving otherwise will be released before TGS.

If you smell what I'm cookin'

Kazzy

What if I were to say that it is superior to the actual thread?

Not that's a difficult feat, seeing as actual discussion has taken a backseat in here, what with all this amazingly fun 'speculation' that has been happening. Which I was actually willing to take at face-value initially, but it's dragged on for so long, not to mention dominated the thread, that it's beyond a joke at this point.

Sure, you can pass this off as purely idle-chat, but that's all it is, and shouldn't be something that is encouraged. It's breeding the worst habits of community threads, which is stifling discussion, in favor of self-indulgent nonsense. I (and I'm wagering a number of others feel the same way too ), probably couldn't care less about who is scoring imaginary points around their announcement predictions.

It seems like their is real lack of perspective in here lately, but I'll wander back out and leave you to it...

Squire

Banned

Not that's a difficult feat, seeing as actual discussion has taken a backseat in here, what with all this amazingly fun 'speculation' that has been happening. Which I was actually willing to take at face-value initially, but it's dragged on for so long, not to mention dominated the thread, that it's beyond a joke at this point.

Sure, you can pass this off as purely idle-chat, but that's all it is, and shouldn't be something that is encouraged. It's breeding the worst habits of community threads, which is stifling discussion, in favor of self-indulgent nonsense. I (and I'm wagering a number of others feel the same way too ), probably couldn't care less about who is scoring imaginary points around their announcement predictions.

It seems like their is real lack of perspective in here lately, but I'll wander back out and leave you to it...

What? It isn't a competition to see who's right or closest in their "predictions". Anybody who sees it that way is part of the problem.

People want the game to be announced - why make it more complicated than that? Why is this getting so weirdly selfish and personal for some people?

If there's a "lack of perspective" as you say, then by all means, enlighten us. I'm open to having my eyes opened, myself.

Levito

Banned

I guess that would depend entirely on whichever you personally prefer. The times I've been in the IRC it's far from wildly different discussion than what's expressed on here. More often than not the "he said she said" and "secret source told me this" was amplified tenfold. Or the discussion was completely unrelated to SMT or Persona. ( the latter of which is absolutely fine)

There's plenty of stifled discussion on here, I agree. At the end of the day though most topics have been discussed at nauseum. There's no news and everyone's on the edge of their seat waiting for P5, there's only so much to discuss given most of it's been either covered or there's nothing new to discuss.

What kind of discussion would you actively like to see more of?

cjkeats

You've been awfully grouchy lately. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the P4G thread, but anyway, a podcast I listen to called Operation Kino had a segment on P4G. What I found surprising about that is that, as primarily a film podcast, most of the people on the show don't play or care about videogames beyond knowing that they exist - indeed, the P4G discussion is sandwiched between a review of The Butler and a larger discussion of how film documents history.

But because of that different perspective, it was interesting to see a game discussed, if not reviewed, in a film context. That is, he talks about the meaning behind the S-links and how he relates to their representation in a work of art as opposed to say, which Personas you should fuse to get Victory Cry so that you can complete the dungeons in one day.

I have no idea if anyone else would find this interesting in any way, but I thought it was a neat perspective.

Here's the link with timestamps included: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Oper...Film-Some-Breaking-Bad-Speculation-38971.html

Sophia

I guess that would depend entirely on whichever you personally prefer. The times I've been in the IRC it's far from wildly different discussion than what's expressed on here. More often than not the "he said she said" and "secret source told me this" was amplified tenfold. Or the discussion was completely unrelated to SMT or Persona. ( the latter of which is absolutely fine)

This is actually kind of the point of the IRC. It's to prevent this thread from becoming mindless banter between clique members (which is bad, and can potentially get this thread locked), and more on the subject of Persona. Plus it makes it easier for people to join this thread, which is always a good thing.

On that note, I must be lucky. I've found the Gentlemen's Tux three times in Yukiko's Castle so far. Yay free HP.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the P4G thread, but anyway, a podcast I listen to called Operation Kino had a segment on P4G. What I found surprising about that is that, as primarily a film podcast, most of the people on the show don't play or care about videogames beyond knowing that they exist - indeed, the P4G discussion is sandwiched between a review of The Butler and a larger discussion of how film documents history.

But because of that different perspective, it was interesting to see a game discussed, if not reviewed, in a film context. That is, he talks about the meaning behind the S-links and how he relates to their representation in a work of art as opposed to say, which Personas you should fuse to get Victory Cry so that you can complete the dungeons in one day.

I have no idea if anyone else would find this interesting in any way, but I thought it was a neat perspective.

Here's the link with timestamps included: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Oper...Film-Some-Breaking-Bad-Speculation-38971.html

Ooh, thanks for posting this here! It's always interesting to see discussions of the social links and stuff from a non-gamer perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom