• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
Ace Attorney is great.
Atelier Totori is (...)
I need Saints Row IV inside me now.

And maybe play Innocent Sin before the year is out. Maybe.

Sophia

Why would we discuss blatant lies as facts?

runwyzxu.png

Run boy, run. They're trying to catch you.

Meia

Apollo Justice wasn't as bad as some said it was, I had a good time with it. I still think the new "system" in the game was handled kind of poorly though. And I can get why people were upset with it(series spoilers follow).
We just established that Phoenix is like BEST DEFENSE ATTORNEY EVAR and is really close with the Fayes, so let's have him all of a sudden not be a lawyer, AND have absolutely no mention of any Faye whatsoever!

I didn't mind the new cast, especially with how the last case went, but they kind of threw away the old one, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Young Magus

Ace Attorney is great.
Atelier Totori is (...)
I need Saints Row IV inside me now.

And maybe play Innocent Sin before the year is out. Maybe.
Pls play IS....
its ok if ya don't
Hope I get though EP before the month is over >_>

In other news,Tales of Xillia is awesome by the way :D. What games been keeping ya busy P-GAF?

Squire

Banned
On the topic of those "multiple announcements for next year" though - I do seriously want an ultimate remaster of P3 on Vita nestled between the releases of the films.

I'm also pretty thrilled at the idea Meguro will doing news songs for the other films as well. Like Lunar said, More Than One Heart just fits. It slides into P3's score like a puzzle piece.

And I like the lyrics. :)

ST2K

In other news,Tales of Xillia is awesome by the way :D. What games been keeping ya busy P-GAF?

I was thinking about picking up Tales of Xilia, but then I remembered my previous three tries with that series didn't go well at all.

As a result, I've mostly been playing Civilization V as I wait for Killer is Dead to come out.

Dantis

I'm sure you're very familiar with Arena's script, since you bought the game like the rest of us, right? ;)

Hilariously, I've probably seen more of it than most, because I watched them all back in September, and then also played through about five of them when I rented it.

Pls play IS....
its ok if ya don't
Hope I get though EP before the month is over >_>

I'm thinking of buying Xillia. Not sure though.

Tales game go out of print real quick, so I'd be better to buy it now even if I don't play it yet.

Young Magus

I was thinking about picking up Tales of Xilia, but then I remembered my previous three tries with that series didn't go well at all.

As a result, I've mostly been playing Civilization V as I wait for Killer is Dead to come out.
Being curious, what were the three attempts?

On-Topic: I gotta hear the concert, any youtube links?

Squire

Banned

Tales game go out of print real quick, so I'd be better to buy it now even if I don't play it yet.

What do you think of the art? I can't hang, myself. Xillia 2 is finally getting into my ballpark though.

Dantis

What do you think of the art? I can't hang, myself. Xillia 2 is finally getting into my ballpark though.

Really dislike it. Do not like dinner-plate eyes, haha. Kinda weird that Xillia looks worse than Vesperia graphically too.

Tales games are games that I completely switch off to when I play. I don't particularly enjoy them, but they pass the time. I've been playing Graces a little over the last month, and the story and writing are complete trash, but it keeps me amused when I just want to zone out to a podcast.

Squire

Banned
Really dislike it. Do not like dinner-plate eyes, haha. Kinda weird that Xillia looks worse than Vesperia graphically too.

Tales games are games that I completely switch off to when I play. I don't particularly enjoy them, but they pass the time. I've been playing Graces a little over the last month, and the story and writing are complete trash, but it keeps me amused when I just want to zone out to a podcast.

Ah, I do that with some games, too. Atelier Totori seems like the mid-point of that. It's like it's pretty solidly designed, but the story is a D-grade manga. But also inoffensive. And occasionally self-aware.

I dunno. I'm a couple hours in. Seems weird/good.

cjkeats

Ah, I do that with some games, too. Atelier Totori seems like the mid-point of that. It's like it's pretty solidly designed, but the story is a D-grade manga. But also inoffensive. And occasionally self-aware.

I dunno. I'm a couple hours in. Seems weird/good.
"D-grade manga" is how I would sum up my feelings in Tales of Graces. (Maybe b-grade). Id hardly call the story and stuff bad, but it feels like a show you watch while you eat dinner because nothing else remotely interesting is on.

I like to describe Torori as "pleasant" because it hardly feels like there's conflict. And the word just feels nice to be in. Everyone is just there, happily greeting you and whatnot.
Wasn't a big fan of the gameplay mechanics though. The time management stressed me out more than it does in Persona. Haven't gotten very far into it.

Edit: and before I forget: Barrel!

Squire

Banned
"D-grade manga" is how I would sum up my feelings in Tales of Graces. (Maybe b-grade). Id hardly call the story and stuff bad, but it feels like a show you watch while you eat dinner because nothing else remotely interesting is on.

I like to describe Torori as "pleasant" because it hardly feels like there's conflict. And the word just feels nice to be in. Everyone is just there, happily greeting you and whatnot.
Wasn't a big fan of the gameplay mechanics though. The time management stressed me out more than it does in Persona. Haven't gotten very far into it.

Edit: and before I forget: Barrel!

Hmm. I might end up feeling the same way.

I agree though, it's a pleasant place to be even if it's a shallow one. It doesn't get on my nerves.

kewlmyc

Hilariously, I've probably seen more of it than most, because I watched them all back in September, and then also played through about five of them when I rented it.

Recently, they haven't. Vesperia and Graces f are both readily available online. Never knew you were into Tales. Didn't you say the series was shit or something like that last week?

Also, I disliked Graces f because the story was hilariously awful and I couldn't stand the main character. However, I beat Xillia about 5 hours ago and it's easily the better game. It's not as good combat wise, but the story was actually pretty interesting and I actually liked all of the characters. Can't compare it to Vesperia since I never played it. I'm probably going to start it later tonight.

Taruranto

There's elements of this in P3/P4, but since you seldom really go anywhere in those games, it's very rare.

Which it's weird especially in P4, since they were trying to sell the whole "little rural village" thing so much. In the end you only visit the places where the S.Link are and Inaba is like 3 screens.

They could easily have made places like the police station or the hospital available for visit, which would make sense considering the kind of story it has.

I got a little more attached to Tatsumi Port Island because the dormitory and the school felt more iconic, especially the first one.

Sophia

So I just looked at how many people the Nippon Budokan arena holds. Apparently it's about 20,000 people. They used about 2/3rds of the seating, and they sold out. So that means over 10,000 people most likely attended the Persona Music FES 2013.

There's elements of this in P3/P4, but since you seldom really go anywhere in those games, it's very rare.

It's not that rare in Persona 3 at least. Many of the dormmates have unique lines for certain days of the year, and they can sometimes be seen elsewhere too.... (Junpei in particular tends to hang out at the mall and has some hilarious dialogue.)

Persona 4 dropped the ball on it tho, as Keiichi mentioned above.

Jintor

It's a little better in P4G. I dunno, sometimes they're in the village, sometimes they're in class, maybe they're by the riverbank...

Meia

So I just looked at how many people the Nippon Budokan arena holds. Apparently it's about 20,000 people. They used about 2/3rds of the seating, and they sold out. So that means over 10,000 people most likely attended the Persona Music FES 2013.

It's not that rare in Persona 3 at least. Many of the dormmates have unique lines for certain days of the year, and they can sometimes be seen elsewhere too.... (Junpei in particular tends to hang out at the mall and has some hilarious dialogue.)

Yep, agreed.

The part of 3 I laughed the hardest at was one of those moments involved Junpei imagining how cool it would be for the typhoon blowing a ramen stand into a bunch of shadows, to which was met with looks of shame. I think 4 had some moments like it, and even added them in Golden, but they locked them behind time-taking actions, which was a bad idea.

kewlmyc

It actually gave characterization to Shinji before P3P even existed. He's the only one that really cares that you were sick during the typhoon.

Sophia

The part of 3 I laughed the hardest at was one of those moments involved Junpei imagining how cool it would be for the typhoon blowing a ramen stand into a bunch of shadows, to which was met with looks of shame. I think 4 had some moments like it, and even added them in Golden, but they locked them behind time-taking actions, which was a bad idea.

Golden added an insane amount of dialogue to dungeons. Every character has dialogue for every outfit, plus every outfit the protagonist wears, plus Rise's dialogue, plus unique conversations that only show up in certain situations or when wearing certain outfits, plus at least 100 new lines for Rise and probably just as many for Teddie as support.

There's gotta be over 500 new lines just for dungeons alone, and they're all hidden little easter eggs.

Dantis

Golden added an insane amount of dialogue to dungeons. Every character has dialogue for every outfit, plus every outfit the protagonist wears, plus Rise's dialogue, plus unique conversations that only show up in certain situations or when wearing certain outfits, plus at least 100 new lines for Rise and probably just as many for Teddie as support.

There's gotta be over 500 new lines just for dungeons alone, and they're all hidden little easter eggs.

Hmm? When does Rise have new lines?

Taruranto

This reminds me, P3 did a decent job at feeling like the game world was alive and not at your mercy. The fact that some characters were unavailable during certain periods of time because they had to deal with personal issues added a (little) touch of realism, making you feel like the MC was you and the NPCs were the NPCs.

P4 characters are always available and open to you to the point it felt patronizing.

Venfayth

I'd rather feel patronized than fucked over because I didn't know humpty dumpty was going to fall off a wall, and as a result be screwed because I didn't choose to do their s.link at a different time.

Story-wise, sure, it makes sense. In terms of how you have to manage your schedule it's stupid to lock characters out unless absolutely required to keep a contiguous story structure.

Refyref

I'd rather feel patronized than fucked over because I didn't know humpty dumpty was going to fall off a wall, and as a result be screwed because I didn't choose to do their s.link at a different time.

Story-wise, sure, it makes sense. In terms of how you have to manage your schedule it's stupid to lock characters out unless absolutely required to keep a contiguous story structure.

Indeed.

Also, the random chatter between characters in P3 would have been much better if they didn't repeat the same dialogue all the time.

Lunar15

It's weird because I played P4 first, so I wasn't able to compare it to anything. It just seemed like normal interaction to me.

I did like that characters had their own lives in P3, but I wouldn't say i like it "better", just that I like that concept too. Being able to have social links with all of your teammates in P4 was great though, and I want to keep that concept moving forward (if social links stay in). It actually felt less "harem" like, in that I was social linking with everyone in my party rather than just the girls/guys depending on who I wanted to date. It made the actual "dating" portion of P4 seem less significant than P3.

PK Gaming

The late night dialogue added to Golden was pretty great too. Not only does it give your friends more backstory, it offers their point of view of the events you just experienced. My first 2 runs had me checking out most of Yosuke's, Chie's and Yukiko's after-hour dialogue, but I really want to know what the others have to say about certain things.

I actually thought it was part of the main game, haha.

Rhapsody

Banned
On the topic of those "multiple announcements for next year" though - I do seriously want an ultimate remaster of P3 on Vita nestled between the releases of the films.

I'm also pretty thrilled at the idea Meguro will doing news songs for the other films as well. Like Lunar said, More Than One Heart just fits. It slides into P3's score like a puzzle piece.

And I like the lyrics. :)
I would really like a P3 Vita version if they managed to put it the same amount of effort in content Golden did. But having another P3 release almost makes me doubt they'll do one, but who knows.

And is there a full version of More Than One Heart out now?
Symphonia, Vesperia, and Abyss. They were the ones that were recommended to me the most, so I gave them a shot. The series just didn't click with me.

Yeah, those usually are the safe ones that are suggested. Xillia's somewhat along those lines but more modernized for a Tales.
Tales isn't particularly strong in story which is why people suggest those. The other Tales have even worse story but better battle systems.

Levito

Banned
Always feel the environments in P3 and P4 and an enormous amount of personality to them. Somehow the developers made them always a joy to traverse, even after like 80+ hours spent in them.

I actually ended up buying Xillia, but I have no idea why. I'm still only 8 hours into Dragon's Crown. Sucks being an adult with little time for games.

Trigger

This reminds me, P3 did a decent job at feeling like the game world was alive and not at your mercy. The fact that some characters were unavailable during certain periods of time because they had to deal with personal issues added a (little) touch of realism, making you feel like the MC was you and the NPCs were the NPCs.

P4 characters are always available and open to you to the point it felt patronizing.

I agree. lol, though I always hated Yukari's timing.

Dantis

Completely random question: Is anyone on here getting DOA5U or DOA5U Core (The free version)? We should game on if you are.

Levito

Banned
Yukari could indeed be a bit harsh at times.

Completely random question: Is anyone on here getting DOA5U or DOA5U Core (The free version)? We should game on if you are.

Still kind of blows my mind that you're into DoA. haha

Nope not getting it.

Well considering it's free all it would hurt would be some of my bandwidth and/or harddrive space. I guess I could DL it and try it for a week or so. Hopefully the game handles free to play better than Tekken did.

cjkeats

Is that the FTP version of the gross pandering trash for filth game or is this just another version? If it's the FTP one I'll try it, but I can't see myself sticking with it.

Dantis

Is that the FTP version of the gross pandering trash for filth game or is this just another version? If it's the FTP one I'll try it, but I can't see myself sticking with it.

Ultimate is the update of DOA5. Core is the free version of Ultimate. Four characters, all stages, and compatibility with the full version of the game.

Ultimate is the update of DOA5. Core is the free version of Ultimate. Four characters, all stages, and compatibility with the full version of the game.

Namco should take notes because that's how a free to play fighter should be. In this game you can choose to buy the other characters and modes. In Tekken you only have a very small amount of characters at all (even though you unlock them by playing large amounts of the game, not every character can be obtained at once, more get put in with updates), you can only use 3 modes total (can't get any more), and you can choose to buy more time to play two of those 3 modes (no "tickets" or "tokens" needed for training mode).

Astra

I actually ended up buying Xillia, but I have no idea why. I'm still only 8 hours into Dragon's Crown. Sucks being an adult with little time for games.

Woo! I look forward to your thoughts on such a weeaboo game.

I am having a really hard time getting into Dragon's Crown. I think I'm just not in the mood for that type of game right now.

cjkeats

Haven't played DoA since Ultimate on the original Xbox, but it's free so there's nothing to lose. Hopefully it's better than that Tekken thing they released.

I really do think P3 and 4 could have benefited from more world exploration, Mikage, and especially Sumaru, gain tons of color and personality by being fully explorable. I don't really care about Tatsumi Port Island in the end, and while I love Inaba, I wish I could explore more of it.

It reminds me of SMTIV. Slight Spoilers ahead about locations.

The Eastern Kingdom of Mikado is a really interesting and cool place to be. You are in full on Megaten mode, and there is medieval music and buildings and styles everywhere. It is so unique and cool, except the entirety of it, except Naraku, is menu driven!, just like P3 and 4! In fact, the whole initial Mikado portion of the game resembles P3/4 in a way. You can only go around this awesome and interesting town to like only a few locations via menu, you don't have much freedom, and are told exactly what to do all the time. Most of the game takes place in one realm, like Tartarus or the TV World. Once you get out of Mikado though, to Tokyo, the game changes completely. You have a massive, sprawling over world to explore, you can explore all the Tokyo towns in full 3d third person. You are not given much guidance at all, and are left to freely explore and find things on your own, such as fighting a level 70 boss at level 20. The atmosphere in Mikado and Tokyo is both strong, but due to the level of freedom and exploration given in Tokyo, Tokyo will always be more memorable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom