• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I think things'll work out, so I actually hope this legal business drags P5 out of hiding.

I'm thinking acquisition sooner or later with an almost immediate reveal of Persona 5 afterwards. It's weird, but I think that this news might have expedited the P5 announcement process.

Meia

I'm thinking acquisition sooner or later with an almost immediate reveal of Persona 5 afterwards. It''s weird, but I think that this news might have expedited the P5 announcement process.

Can actually see it to show the Atlus name is still strong.

Doesn't make me any less nervous though.

Squire

Banned
I'm thinking acquisition sooner or later with an almost immediate reveal of Persona 5 afterwards. It's weird, but I think that this news might have expedited the P5 announcement process.

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at. I mean, we were joking about THQ in the other thread, but if you remember, once Koch got Volition, they announced Saint's Row IV really soon afterwards.

The thing to note though is Index and Atlus are one. Like I said in the other thread: At this point Atlus amounts to a name and a pretty logo. What an outside buyer would want is the IP library and the development teams. Index executives, Atlus USA (possibly excluding their translators), and the Atlus name are expendable, unfortunately.

Dantis

Yeah, that's exactly where I'm at. I mean, we were joking about THQ in the other thread, but if you remember, once Koch got Volition, they announced Saint's Row IV really soon afterwards.

The thing to note though is Index and Atlus are one. Like I said in the other thread: At this point Atlus amounts to a name and a pretty logo. What an outside buyer would want is the IP library and the development teams. Index executives, Atlus USA (possibly excluding their translators), and the Atlus name are expendable, unfortunately.

They've already said that they're looking to sell off the games division.

Refyref

To be exact, they said they recognize the value of the games division (its their most profitable arm), and will make sure that it will be able to continue its operations without damaging its current operations/momentum.

Atlus will be just fine, folks. And so will Persona.

I don't think they have any other divisions though. Really, I'm just repeating what Duckroll has said.

They do have, but none are as successful as the games arm.

Sophia

They said they were looking for a sponsor. This does not necessarily mean sell.

To be exact, they said they recognize the value of the games division (its their most profitable arm), and will make sure that it will be able to continue its operations without damaging its current operations/momentum.

Atlus will be just fine, folks. And so will Persona.

Exactly. They know the value of it. They know splitting up the game development division would be akin to smashing a one of a kind antique on the ground. I'm not worried. In fact, I'm optimistic.

Lunar15

As far as I know, they are looking for a partner/merger/buyout for the company as a whole, while purging debts and other toxic assets. No direct claims of selling any division has been made.

This is just from what I've read, and unfortunately I cannot read the Japanese statement myself. I could be off base.

Refyref

Exactly. They know the value of it. They know splitting up the game development division would be akin to smashing a one of a kind antique on the ground. I'm not worried. In fact, I'm optimistic.

That's how I feel. I joked about this issue a bit on Twitter, but I really don't see this event impacting Atlus in any big way. At least with how things are going right now.

Refyref

So, hypothetically speaking, who would you guys like to pick up Atlus and their properties?

Well, IF they don't manage to stabilize them as part of restructuring, then the best thing would be a new holding group by the current leads of "Atlus" buying them, like what happened with SNK.
If that's out of the question, then I would rather have a company that isn't in the videogames market acquire them.
If that's not going to happen, then a 3rd party Japanese publisher that would let them have freedom would be fine.
After that, if it goes into catastrophe situation, then maybe a platform holder. But that would be terrible, and it won't get there.
And no thank you at all to a shady publisher like Bethesda.

So, hypothetically speaking, who would you guys like to pick up Atlus and their properties?

None of the first party companies, for starters. I doubt they'd like to stop releasing games across multiple platforms, with SMTIV releasing soon for 3DS and Soul Hackers not too long ago, and how P4G released on Vita and Dragon's Crown coming to PS3 and Vita (I'm aware that's just publishing), and it's very likely they have multiple projects for different systems such as SMTxFE on Wii U (and maybe, le gasp, Persona 5 on whatever that's gonna release on). Atlus being picked up by a first party gets rid of the freedom they have now in being able to do this kind of thing.

So that said, I really don't care who Atlus winds up with so long as they can still have the ability to do this kind of thing. That and as long as it doesn't stink.

Kinda vague answer but I'm mainly just in the "let's see how it goes and hopefully it's not X" camp

Refyref

What's wrong with Beth? I think they'd be a great fit. They're letting Mikami do whatever he wants, from the looks of things.

Allegedly, Zenimax withheld milestone money from developers they contracted, forcing them to take a loan from them, and when they couldn't repay them, the studios were forced to sell themselves to Zenimax at a low price.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577405

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60536433&postcount=71

They did this too, it seems: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60567437&postcount=111

Also, their CEO was accused of initiating a hostile takeover of a bank. He is now banned from banking.

Marche90

^This would be my joke answer, but I wouldn't mind if it were to become true; see below

In order:

Preferably an investor that doesn't have any kind of involvement in video games (but please, a good one, not another Index). That way, Atlus stays as it is.

If it is a third party, a Japanese one. Western working culture and Eastern traditions won't work well together. Which one, though, I don't know. GungHo... I don't know that much about them to give an honest opinion. Namco Bandai, I would fear for Atlus in the long run. Ideas?

If it is first party, Nintendo. I prefer to buy their hardware first, and after that whatever comes.

FluxWaveZ

I'm up for whatever company grants them as much creative freedom as possible as well as sufficient financial backing. Preferably third party.

Aeana

People still thinking Nintendo censors anything demonstrate an amazing level of ignorance that shouldn't be possible for an enthusiast gamer.

Meia

Good for them? Wouldn't fly in America.

A lot of things don't, sadly.

I love the country, I don't like the religious zealots telling people what's "right" and not.

To the question, I do NOT want Nintendo not because I'd have to buy a Wii U finally, but because it'd be a total crapshoot if anything gets localized for us. Outside of that I don't think it matters too much, as long as they've given freedom to operate nearly independently. Can't imagine many third parties doing that though.

Meia

Yes, and they also removed the swimsuit outfits from Fatal Frame 2.

Both times it was really shitty fan service though. I don't think they'd ever remove anything of real value.

So they'd remove new bathhouse scenes.

THIS WILL NOT STAND.

FluxWaveZ

i won't get to look at a cartoon character's butt, that'll basically ruin persona forever :(

If they would be willing to censor something as minuscule as that I wonder what Catherine would have turned into.

Not that I think they're into the business of usually censoring that kind of stuff, but Fire Emblem's a recent game that they, for some reason, decided to censor.

Although if it would remove the amount of crappy fanservice...

Necrovex

People still thinking Nintendo censors anything demonstrate an amazing level of ignorance that shouldn't be possible for an enthusiast gamer.

Bayonetta 2 will become a game for babies. Blasted Nintendo censorship!!! :-(

i won't get to look at a cartoon character's butt, that'll basically ruin persona forever :(

Not just any cartoon character's butt but Tharja's butt. Nintendo is killing off a piece of noteworthy content!

Plus FE is a 12+ rating, there'd be no reason to censor stuff on games rated higher. If it was DLC that was censored, it probably didn't fit in with what they rated it as.

Wonder what that means for Mara's appearance in SMT X FE.

What would be more controversial, Mara or Satan?

So at worst we'd lose Mara and a butt shot? Go for it, Nintendo.

Not that I think they'll buy them. I don't even know how these things work :p. News about what the heck they're doing can't come soon enough.

Kwixotik

So four times in a row in Kanji's dungeon I get to the 8th or 9th floor without problem and then I'll run into these FUCKING magus enemies. I'll hit escape on the first turn of the fight but they still ALWAYS kill my MC within the first round of battle because they just spam agilao on him

X84nn.gif

I might be taking a break from this game.

So four times in a row in Kanji's dungeon I get to the 8th or 9th floor without problem and then I'll run into these FUCKING magus enemies. I'll hit escape on the first turn of the fight but they still ALWAYS kill my MC within the first round of battle because they just spam agilao on him

Yeah, this happened to me too. That was when I learned the power of Goho-Ms and saving more often :p.

cj_iwakura

I've been hearing a lot about that game. I'll have to try it after I dig through some of these PS+ titles.

I got it for $3 off GOG. It's truly wonderful.

And if memory serves, didn't Killer7 get a bit of censorship?

Anyway, I'm no fan of Nintendo, but that's due to their region locking, also the fact that I still remember how dirty they fought during the Sega era.

Also, hope you all saw Devil Survivor 2-13. Had some amazing summoner battles.

Sophia

Use Personas with resistances.
Use Personas with high agility.
Use Vanish Balls
???
Profit! :D

Jintor

X84nn.gif

I might be taking a break from this game.

HAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom