• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

So four times in a row in Kanji's dungeon I get to the 8th or 9th floor without problem and then I'll run into these FUCKING magus enemies. I'll hit escape on the first turn of the fight but they still ALWAYS kill my MC within the first round of battle because they just spam agilao on him

X84nn.gif

I might be taking a break from this game.

Are you upgrading your protagonists Persona? If you're still using low level Personas, could explain why you keep dying (lower level Personas take more damage). You should try messing with the fusion system to see if you can get anything decent.

Just a hint: fuse a Kaiwan (of the Star Arcana) on May 20th or any day in which the Fusion Forecast is "Skill Change," and keep resetting until his Tetrakarn is affected. It will turn into Victory Cry (fully recovers HP & SP after every battle), which will make grinding and dungeon crawling much easier if you so choose.

Just started TLoU, by the way. It sure has some big names in it; I've already recognised the voices of Sam Riegel, Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey and I think Phil LaMarr. The opening strangely made a bunch of dust fly out of my PS3 and into my eye though :'(

Squire

Banned
Just started TLoU, by the way. It sure has some big names in it; I've already recognised the voices of Sam Riegel, Yuri Lowenthal, Laura Bailey and I think Phil LaMarr. The opening strangely made a bunch of dust fly out of my PS3 and into my eye though :'(

Riiiight.

Meia

Yeah, my PS3 fans really crank up while playing TLoU.

I do get what you're saying though. Was fully expected, though.

It was, but it doesn't hurt any less.

So far, my niece was the same age as Nanako going through P4 the first time, and now she's the same age as the daughter from the beginning. That just makes each of those hurt extra. :p

Promising myself I won't replay P3P, but seeing it run on that new PSP emulator, so I'm getting a full screen hi-res Fem MC, HNG.

It's amazing the things you pick up on in the second playthrough you can miss the first time.

I had no idea Nyx was a pinata.

Promising myself I won't replay P3P, but seeing it run on that new PSP emulator, so I'm getting a full screen hi-res Fem MC, HNG.

I'll have to look into that and get some screenshots.

Levito

Banned
May still have a spot open for tonight's podcast, subject is Persona 2 and P3/4 fans going back and trying that game/why they should etc.

Anyone want to get in on that?

Soriku

For some reason I find myself wanting to find really good mashups of meguro songs with more mainstream music....

Amazing + shit = ???

Though if you're just talking about well-known music (like Slam Jam) and not just the crap pop they play on the radio then it might be interesting.

Necrovex

May still have a spot open for tonight's podcast, subject is Persona 2 and P3/4 fans going back and trying that game/why they should etc.

I feel like if I was on this episode that I would be a negative Nancy. I did not like Persona 2, excluding its writing and characters, at all.

Astra

I feel like if I was on this episode that I would be a negative Nancy. I did not like Persona 2, excluding its writing and characters, at all.

A dissenting opinion would make for better listening.

Ohhh, what's the emulator called? Is it stable? I wouldn't mind switching my P3P playthrough to PC.

Levito

Banned

That would be fine, multiple perspectives. If you've got a decent mic and can make the 8PM PST recording time it's probably doable.

If I had played enough of P2 I'd jump in on this one as that does sound like a good topic. I really need to dive back into that game one of these days I swear :S

Necrovex

If I had played enough of P2 I'd jump in on this one as that does sound like a good topic. I really need to dive back into that game one of these days I swear :S

You should just watch a Let's Play, so you can skip the bad parts of Persona 2 (i.e. the actual playing of the game).

You should just watch a Let's Play, so you can skip the bad parts of Persona 2 (i.e. the actual playing of the game).

Well I actually like playing the game so far, I just haven't sat down to play it in a while, mainly because I went with a NG+ of P3P at the same time.

Lunar15

Amazing + shit = ???

Though if you're just talking about well-known music (like Slam Jam) and not just the crap pop they play on the radio then it might be interesting.

I really just meant "non-video game music", not specifically songs that are on the radio today.

Levito

Banned
I'd be game for it. Though, I'm not too sure if I am the best person to be on a podcast due to my speech impediment!

Speech impediment? Well it's up to you if you think it's not good for podcasting.

Still waiting to hear back from iwakura about someone he suggested to bring on. All I really ask of people coming on is please have a mic that doesn't suck. :p

Necrovex

Speech impediment? Well it's up to you if you think it's not good for podcasting.

Still waiting to hear back from iwakura about someone he suggested to bring on. All I really ask of people coming on is please have a mic that doesn't suck. :p

A lisp.

If Iwakura person doesn't come through, I'll come on. Worst case scenario, I discover that I'm not great at podcasting and not do it again! I have a dedicated mic, so I'm good on that front. Just let me know by PM if you need a fourth.

Meia

Ohhh, what's the emulator called? Is it stable? I wouldn't mind switching my P3P playthrough to PC.

It's found in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543429&highlight=psp

Using the most updated version of it, playing in 4x resolution and not having any issues with it. Only thing are some graphical bugs, usually involving the targeting cursor. Tempted to use the emulator for a playthrough, that let's play persona 3 thread got me thinking that I haven't played 3 Portable in awhile.

pirata

Hey, I posted this in response to people saying that there's no way in hell P5 will be next-gen and I put some time and effort into it, so I though I'd repost it here. What do y'all think?
---------------------------------------

Except they've got an engine that works on both Cell and 360 hardware

Now, it's entirely possible that Catherine's basically held together with spit and blu-tak and would fall apart if the engine was pushed into being used for a different title, but I was under the impression that part of the point of developing Catherine was to give them precisely that option.

They're not using the Catherine engine anymore.

And, yeah, the Catherine project started out as a technical test for P5, which makes their sudden change of engine suspect. I think there's a good chance that the game either became next-gen or cross-gen with the engine switch. Not a sure thing, of course, but a good chance. A few reasons why before people ridicule me:

1. It's in Atlus' interest to create a bunch of SMT demon models that they can use for a whole generation.
2. Persona (and to a lesser extent, SMT in general) is a far bigger thing than it was when P4 released, especially outside of Japan. Unfortunately, the series has been relegated to systems that no one has or is paying any attention to outside of Japan (PSP, Vita, PS2 years after most people had upgraded and right before backwards-compatibility was phased out). If it came out on a popular system, people would pay more attention to it and be able to actually play it.
3. No backwards compatibly means that people would have to drag out their old consoles to play it, and the Persona audience probably overlaps a good deal with people who will upgrade in the first year or two of the PS4's life.
4. Being a next-gen RPG will probably get it a good deal of attention.
5. Judging from comments from the creators, this will probably be their most ambitious game ever.
6. I think Persona team is starting to think of themselves as world-class developers (and not undeservingly, in my opinion), as shown by their fancy new studio logo and stuff. Or maybe not. Just speculation.
7. P5 wouldn't be the only game to make the jump in 2011: both Versus and the Last Guardian (the latter heavily rumored) were switched to PS4 in that year.
8. The mods on GAF have been hinting at it for a while.

I could go on, but you get the idea. In short, P5 on PS4 is not a crazy proposition.

FluxWaveZ

Honestly, I think it means nothing. The only concrete supporting argument to your thesis is that they developed a new internally developed engine for P5 and that doesn't really mean anything.

The console could be anything. There are too many uncertainties for there to be any real conclusion from a discussion about this.

Meia

The only thing to realize is that wherever persona 5 appears, a persona 6 will probably come along shortly(relatively) after thanks to re-used assets.

I mean, I'd like to say that it can't be on PS3 because of that, but this situation mirrors the P3 situation almost exactly anyway, and lack of backwards compatibility didn't hassle them any already.

Persona 3 - July 13th, 2006
Playstation 3 - November 10th, 2006
Persona 4 - July 10th, 2008

Astra

It's found in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543429&highlight=psp

Using the most updated version of it, playing in 4x resolution and not having any issues with it. Only thing are some graphical bugs, usually involving the targeting cursor. Tempted to use the emulator for a playthrough, that let's play persona 3 thread got me thinking that I haven't played 3 Portable in awhile.

Nice, thanks!

Yeah, I am definitely moving my playthrough to the emulator. I assume I can just copy my save and use it just fine with the emulator.

Squire

Banned
Hey, I posted this in response to people saying that there's no way in hell P5 will be next-gen and I put some time and effort into it, so I though I'd repost it here. What do y'all think?

That certain individuals in the other thread should, like, chill out and not take this stuff so personally.

Astra

Persona 5 should be a next gen game because it's time to move along.

I don't mind either way. PS3 is perfectly fine with me. Not sure how much P5 would benefit from being on the PS4, since I doubt they'll take advantage of the graphical power of the PS4.

I tried P3P on the emulator, and it seems to run perfectly fine. There are a few minor graphical issues, but they're hardly worth noting. I could probably get rid of them by fiddling around with the settings a bit.

Snakeyes

1. It's in Atlus' interest to create a bunch of SMT demon models that they can use for a whole generation.
True, and those highly detailed models would probably look good enough to be re-used in future generations.

2. Persona (and to a lesser extent, SMT in general) is a far bigger thing than it was when P4 released, especially outside of Japan. Unfortunately, the series has been relegated to systems that no one has or is paying any attention to outside of Japan (PSP, Vita, PS2 years after most people had upgraded and right before backwards-compatibility was phased out). If it came out on a popular system, people would pay more attention to it and be able to actually play it.
I'd argue that P3/4 did so well precisely because they were released on a system with a massive install base and at the end of its lifecycle.

3. No backwards compatibly means that people would have to drag out their old consoles to play it, and the Persona audience probably overlaps a good deal with people who will upgrade in the first year or two of the PS4's life.
The success of P3/4 proves this is not the case.

4. Being a next-gen RPG will probably get it a good deal of attention.
Possible.

5. Judging from comments from the creators, this will probably be their most ambitious game ever.

6. I think Persona team is starting to think of themselves as world-class developers (and not undeservingly, in my opinion), as shown by their fancy new studio logo and stuff. Or maybe not. Just speculation.
Eh. Could be, but it's still conjecture.

7. P5 wouldn't be the only game to make the jump in 2011: both Versus and the Last Guardian (the latter heavily rumored) were switched to PS4 in that year.
Possible. But those games also have a lot more to gain from being moved to a newer, more powerful platform, with Square trying to bring mainline FF back into the spotlight and Team ICO thriving on visual spectacle. Persona (in its current form) will always sell north of 500k to a small but dedicated fanbase of otaku and Japanophiles, regardless of graphics or the platform it's on.

8. The mods on GAF have been hinting at it for a while.
I wasn't aware of this but those hints are the only thing that adds credence to a proper next-gen move. Everything else makes current/cross-gen seem like a much more... sensible pick.

Unless... one of the big three approached Atlus with a deal that would give them enough money to take Persona to the next level in both technology and mainstream appeal, in exchange for platform exclusivity. I could see Sony doing something like this because of their current lack of exclusive JRPGs.

I'm prepared for the possibility of it being released on PS4. Unfortunately it may mean I won't get to play it for a few years...

I tried P3P on the emulator, and it seems to run perfectly fine. There are a few minor graphical issues, but they're hardly worth noting. I could probably get rid of them by fiddling around with the settings a bit.

If you do find a way to fix them would you mind telling us the settings? Just got it running myself, it's pretty neat. Got me using headphones for it at least, love the normal battle track.

Meia

Don't use buffering or whatever, the AA. Had no graphical issues anymore, running at 4x the resolution.

And yeah, HATED that with Rise's link. Console her, or just watch her like an unsympathetic creeper. Definition of a trap card if I ever saw one.

Don't use buffering or whatever, the AA. Had no graphical issues anymore, running at 4x the resolution.

Sweet! Thanks, the only thing that remotely bothered me was that it wasn't showing buffs, but that's fixed now :).

Regarding the Rise thing, at least it gives you a warning :p. But yeah, would have been better with a third answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom