• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am obviously gay for Persona 2 EP, I thought it was due time that I play through the game again :D
for the seventh fucking time yo

New game plus mode is GO

SPMeoad.jpg

In order to get a full demon analyze/compendium, you need to start a new game plus from a 100%'d EX mode dungeon. You lose the data you gathered in the main game by doing this but you do get exclusive demons and personas you cant see in the main game.

cyIhAfd.jpg

LET'S DO THIS THING

QGuRYsh.jpg

So what do you keep in your new game+? You retain all previously earned demon data, like previously mentioned. If you were able to obtain the Carma Ring in your previous playthrough (probably not since it requires you to return a missable FOOL persona) and, well...

TnsYB0W.jpg

..this.

Time to date high schoolers I mean explore a city and kill demons.

Gamerloid

Keep in mind most elements that people are used to from Persona 3 onwards are not really present in the older games, so keep an open mind whilst playing them.
Good that the series evolved though. Dungeons are first person in the early Persona games if I remember correctly. Since I'm going backwards, I won't have any problems. I'll probably enjoy seeing the difference.

I can not get enough of this app.
Wasn't expecting the full moon events to be here. Nice.

Good that the series evolved though. Dungeons are first person in the early Persona games if I remember correctly. Since I'm going backwards, I won't have any problems. I'll probably enjoy seeing the difference.

Wasn't expecting the full moon events to be here. Nice.

in some ways it evolved, in others, it devolved. Still a top notch series whole way through IMO, but for different reasons.

Or maybe it's the other way around :eek:

This guy gets it.

Squire

Banned
You know, I never did understand famitsu scores. I should look that up one of these days.
Not like they really matter anyways.

Famitsu scores the way EGM did ostensibly, if you're familiar. Four writers play through the game, write a brief review, and assign a score from 1-10. The two publications differ in that the EGM scale included .5 intervals and they didn't add the panels scores together, like Famitsu does. Also, after a while EGM switched from 4-person panels to 3.

cjkeats

Famitsu scores the way EGM did ostensibly, if you're familiar. Four writers play through the game, write a brief review, and assign a score from 1-10. The two publications differ in that the EGM scale included .5 intervals and they didn't add the panels scores together, like Famitsu does. Also, after a while EGM switched from 4-person panels to 3.

Well that isn't as interesting as I hoped. Pretty straightforward actually.

Sophia

No Famitsu leaks yet, or just no Persona? I expected some Arena stuff.

No Persona 5. There's probably information on Arena, but it won't be fully on the web til Famitsu officially releases Thursday.

EDIT: Apparently, there's no information on Arena either. Interesting...

Just scores so far, and they came during the evening, which is odd.

Not really all that odd. The listing + scores are usually first out.

Squire

Banned
Well that isn't as interesting as I hoped. Pretty straightforward actually.

Oh yeah, it's a great system. Especially in EGM. That generation of the staff had all types of personalities and tastes, so you were getting 3/4 opinions at once that often clashed quite a bit. That's why when Halo 2 or San Andreas or whatever got straight 10's, it was a big fucking deal. That just never happened.

Famitsu doesn't have that. You look at their scores and you can tell they're all generally fairly easy to please and usually match each other. If the whole panel is gonna say 7, or 9, or 10, every time then why not just let one person review it? It's a great system; Famitsu doesn't really use it.

Not really all that odd. The listing + scores are usually first out.

I meant odd in the sense that the scores usually hit our before they did today.

Dantis

No Persona 5. There's probably information on Arena, but it won't be fully on the web til Famitsu officially releases Thursday.

EDIT: Apparently, there's no information on Arena either. Interesting...

Based on this I wonder if they're actually going to talk about P5 before Arena 2.

You bet on it being shown next week, right?

Squire

Banned
If that's the case though, then they either messed up by showing off the arcade version way too early, or the P5 announcement is actually somewhat close.

They didn't mess up. That was extremely deliberate. It was a two-day location test though, so it's probably not too crazy to assume they want they nail down some things before detailing it officially.

If that's the case though, then they either messed up by showing off the arcade version way too early, or the P5 announcement is actually somewhat close.

P5, I think, will be announced at TGS. If not then, sometime next year.

I actually find it worrisome that P4C was not in there....

Maybe they didn't have enough content//information for an article?!?

They didn't mess up. That was extremely deliberate. It was a two-day location test though, so it's probably not too crazy to assume they want they nail down some things before detailing it officially.

This.

It's too small. TGS is PS4 territory. They'd be steamrolled.

Or at least that's what they think, since they never announce things at TGS.

Yeah, just wishful thinking.
Unless it will be used as to showcase the PS4. Can't happen though, it's 3DS only.

Would be great if they announce it by sending a stealth email to the 'Atlus faithful'.

cjkeats

It's too small. TGS is PS4 territory. They'd be steamrolled.

Or at least that's what they think, since they never announce things at TGS.

I think you're underestimating its popularity these days...
Also, the PS3(assuming it's on there) will still exist and it'll get many more games for years to come.

I don't think famitsu matters like it used to either. They can announce it wherever they want, it'll get buzz. Just look at the new Arena, they technically didn't even announce it.

Squire

Banned
I think you're underestimating its popularity these days...
Also, the PS3(assuming it's on there) will still exist and it'll get many more games for years to come.

I probably am, but TGS is still no place to announce PS3 games anymore. Look at GamesCom; Sony got that stuff out of the way as quickly as possible and they did so for a reason. Time's up.

I don't think famitsu matters like it used to either. They can announce it wherever they want, it'll get buzz. Just look at the new Arena, they technically didn't even announce it.

Biggest gaming publication in Japan, crooked reviews and all. You're definitely incorrect.

Squire

Banned
I'm not sure I agree with this. Sure in the west it probably is, but in Japan I could see the PS3 going on for quite a while.

Sony doesn't abandon their platforms (almost to the point of being stubborn), so it'll go on, absolutely. Top priority is PS4 though. The games division is basically riding on it in terms of how Sony's performing as a company right now. MS has handed them the lead on a silver platter. It's their fight to lose and they've made clear they have 0 intentions to do so.

TGS will be like E3/GC before it: "Here's 10 minutes of PS3, 20 for Vita, now lets get to PS4."

Sendou

TGS will be like E3/GC before it: "Here's 10 minutes of PS3, 20 for Vita, now lets get to PS4."

Will it? I mean PS4 isn't even launching in Japan this year. I could easily see them spending a lot more time on PS3 and Vita than what they did in western conferences.

Meia

Here's the complete list of XBONE and PS4 launch countries. No Japan for either.

Guess it turned out that Japan is Tier 2 country for Sony after all, huh? Anyways I don't think TGS will be focused at PS4 at all. Surely there's not much time to announce big(ish?) titles for PS3 much further ahead :)

Think it's probably more likely that they'll announce the date at TGS for this year instead of it being a complete no show in their native country. :p

On a side note, damn SMT 4 is fun. Just have to figure out if raising defense or dodge is better early game.

Sendou

Think it's probably more likely that they'll announce the date at TGS for this year instead of it being a complete no show in their native country. :p

On a side note, damn SMT 4 is fun. Just have to figure out if raising defense or dodge is better early game.

Yeah surely they'll be there but I'd still say the focus is not there.

SMT IV is fun indeed. Little weird coming from Persona 4 with the whole smirk mechanic and extra attack. I don't remember defense or dodge stats from the game though... It had those?

Meia

SMT IV is fun indeed. Little weird coming from Persona 4 with the whole smirk mechanic and extra attack. I don't remember defense or dodge stats from the game though... It had those?

The classic -kaja/-unda spells. Was basically debating replacing sukukaja with War Cry on the MC, then I realized the demon that was learning war cry has counter, which kind of sucks in this game since it doesn't prevent damage like it does in other games.

Sendou

The classic -kaja/-unda spells. Was basically debating replacing sukukaja with War Cry on the MC, then I realized the demon that was learning war cry has counter, which kind of sucks in this game since it doesn't prevent damage like it does in other games.

Oh yeah completely slipped my mind for a second there. I definitely prefer raising dodge in this game since enemy can (will?) lose an attack turn when it misses a physical attack. Counter is completely useless.

Gamerloid

Darn it. I missed a good conversation because of sleep ;_;

SMT IV is fun indeed. Little weird coming from Persona 4 with the whole smirk mechanic and extra attack.

I love the Turn Press Battle System. It makes things so much more interesting since there's repercussions and benefits to your actions. P4 did have an extra attack mechanic though. When you hit an enemy with their weakness, they'd fall down and you'd attack again with all out attack being an option if all enemies are down.

I would say the biggest thing from a someone coming from P4 is the difficulty. This is a league of its own. Demon Fusing is a pain since you don't win Macca from battles. I now just decided to focus on getting certain demons and forgetting about others. Negotiating with demons is both fun and annoying. Some demons just don't ever join me no matter how many times I try...

If there's one thing I have to say is that I love the 3D in this game. I don't usually care to have 3D on, but I'll try it for each new game I get and this one is just the best. It makes the world come to life.

Sendou

I love the Turn Press Battle System. It makes things so much more interesting since there's repercussions and benefits to your actions. P4 did have an extra attack mechanic though. When you hit an enemy with their weakness, they'd fall down and you'd attack again with all out attack being an option if all enemies are down.

I would say the biggest thing from a someone coming from P4 is the difficulty. This is a league of its own. Demon Fusing is a pain since you don't win Macca from battles. I now just decided to focus on getting certain demons and forgetting about others. Negotiating with demons is both fun and annoying. Some demons just don't ever join me no matter how many times I try...

If there's one thing I have to say is that I love the 3D in this game. I don't usually care to have 3D on, but I'll try it for each new game I get and this one is just the best. It makes the world come to life.

Yeah it did. Not sure why I stated otherwise. I just meant to state that it's different in SMT4 (the deal about missing attacks resulting in losing attack turns being the most notable). I do like it how they handled it in SMT4.

I'm not sure if I'm in minority but I found Persona 4 harder than SMT IV so far (if the difficulty doesn't pick up towards end which would be the exact opposite experience I had with Persona 4). It can be hard but as long as you abuse the weaknesses and remember to not get abused it's very manageable. Bosses using physical attacks tend to get pretty easy when you reflect them.

Generally the setting is very interesting. Not sure what I would adopt from there to Persona necessarily though (assuming that these differences haven't been there from the beginning of the each series)

Sony doesn't abandon their platforms (almost to the point of being stubborn), so it'll go on, absolutely. Top priority is PS4 though. The games division is basically riding on it in terms of how Sony's performing as a company right now. MS has handed them the lead on a silver platter. It's their fight to lose and they've made clear they have 0 intentions to do so.

Pretty much. I don't doubt the PS3 will slow down for Japan till 4Q 2015, especially with how the console market is over there.
Besides, P5 comes out for it! /believe

Darn it. I missed a good conversation because of sleep ;_;

It's funny how they replaced SMT3 nasty with SMT4 nasty for balance reasons.

Sol1dus

Finally got to the actual final dungeon in P4. I was having so many feels last night while
saying bye to everyone.
It actually felt like I was doing it. :p

Caladrius

No endurance stat, just HP. Agility actually determines the base evasion rate, while sukukaja raises it. You probably noticed already but all buffs/debuffs are across the whole party. No ma-x-kaja bunk to upgrade

Magic and agility focus basically breaks the game up until the ultimate bosses.The endgame almost felt easier than P4's.

hao chi

No endurance stat, just HP. Agility actually determines the base evasion rate, while sukukaja raises it. You probably noticed already but all buffs/debuffs are across the whole party. No ma-x-kaja bunk to upgrade

Magic and agility focus basically breaks the game up until the ultimate bosses
.The endgame almost felt easier than P4's.

I'll have to keep that in mind. :D

Rhapsody

Banned
Went for Dexterity and Agility on my playthrough. Wanted to have some fun with bullets and making my character using SP for healing and buffing.
Game's already easy right now with the right apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom