• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Is it common to get the bad ending first time round on p4?

That depends on which bad ending you get. It's fairly uncommon to get the worst possible ending (as that requires a massive violation of common sense that you, the player, should have), but it's not all that uncommon to get the neutral ending.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well after Gamescom I caved.

My Vita and Persona 4 Golden just arrived. Man I hope the extra stuff is worth it. Out of curiosity how much time have you all spent on Golden so far?

Got my vita this summer too but I haven't spent much time playing it. Think the vox populi wifi features alone excites me the most. Will be neat to see how the game compiles data for all the other player choices for handling daily schedules and whatever else it does. Haven't played far enough to witness it in action though.

I also noticed that the backdrops and locations seem entirely redrawn or rendered too. At least based on my memories of the ps2 game. Definitely seems they did not just up-res the ps2 assets straight but many of the town and school locations just have a more realistic look and upgraded alterations. Need personaGAF to confirm but it seems changed to me visually.

Nice work as always Dantis and Shmeeb. You two make me so sad I was never very good at sketching and drawing.
But I bought a sketchbook recently, gonna try and get into it.

That's awesome, dude. It's great to see someone try and get into it rather than do the opposite and get discouraged. Anyone can draw, you just gotta put the time into it. And if you enjoy it, you'll put time into it.

I made a small change to her mouth. Any better?
Aye, that works. I think Naoto has a smaller, daintier nose though, But y'know, nitpick~
HA! It really is.

Great picture. It looks like you've moved away from Soejima's style a bit. Was that deliberate?
Aye, just been trying to do as many as possible to work out the kinks, so there was no point in polishing it, need to get the fundamentals right first then I can get back to attempting something a little more ambitious.

Sophia

Do you have to make some very specific choices to get the Golden ending as well? Or do you just have to max Marie's social link?

Marie's social link (as well as the new dungeon that you get if you max it out) adds additional content to the Good and True endings to the game.

There are eight possible endings:
  • Bad ending
  • Neutral ending 1
  • Neutral ending 2
  • Accomplice ending
  • Good ending
  • Good ending + Marie's slink maxed
  • True ending
  • True ending + Marie's slink maxed
I got the bad ending twice before realising my mistake.

Wait, the bad ending (
As in you killed Namatame
) or the neutral ending (
Didn't kill Namatame but agreed with Yosuke
) ?

kewlmyc

Marie's social link (as well as the new dungeon that you get if you max it out) adds additional content to the Good and True endings to the game.

Bad ending
Neutral ending 1
Neutral ending 2
Accomplice ending
Good ending
Good ending + Marie's slink maxed
True ending
True ending + Marie's slink maxed

Wait, the bad ending (
) ?
I didn't realize there were so many endings. First time, my friend warned me about the true ending so I got that one. I would have gotten the good ending if he hadn't warned me.

(
) ?
Don't remember this one at all.

Bad ending
Neutral ending 1
Neutral ending 2
Accomplice ending
Good ending
Good ending + Marie's slink maxed
True ending
True ending + Marie's slink maxed
Apart from the final one you listed, are the others worth experiencing?

Sophia

I didn't realize there were so many endings. First time, my friend warned me about the true ending so I got that one. I would have gotten the good ending if he hadn't warned me.

Yeah. Getting one of the neutral endings is fairly common, as its easy to not pay attention and select the wrong choice.

Getting the bad ending basically requires you to be an idiot tho. You can't get this one unintentionally. It demands that you throw all logic out the window. :p

Don't remember this one at all.

The neutral endings happen should you agree with Yosuke that Namatame is the killer or fail to convince Yosuke (Neutral Ending 1), or fail to identify the killer (Neutral Ending 2) when prompted to. Nanako lives in these endings, but remains in a coma. The main difference between Neutral Ending 1 and Neutral Ending 2 is some dialogue, that's it.

Apart from the final one you listed, are the others worth experiencing?

There are the non-standard game overs should you fail to save someone or
fail to stop the shadows from pouring out of the midnight channel.

Getting the true ending requires also getting the good ending along the way, so there's no reason to specifically see the good ending variants. The accomplice ending is worth seeing at least once. There's also an easter egg in the bad/neutral endings that was pointed out by Nich here on GAF (
Look at the weather forecast. It's become the fog forecast
)

Marche90

I got the good ending it in my first try... but only because I had seen that scene before :p

I have the terrible habit of spoiling most things before trying. Something I need to get rid of, btw

PK Gaming

BAHAHA drawing is like wearing beer goggles. You can't trust your own eyes, man.

On that note, I'm gonna risk it and throw this out there. I think (hope) I nearly got it this time.

That's a terrific Aigis dude. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of hours it took for you to pull that off.

Dantis said:
It was just a weird train of thought I had this morning. I was thinking "What if Chie and Yukiko swapped hairstyles?" And then that led onto, "What if all the P4 characters swapped hairstyles?" and then that led onto "What if the P3 and P4 characters swapped hairstyles?" And then I was like "Wait, what if whoever swapped with Aigis became a robot?" and then obviously, the answer was Yukiko.

I think strange things sometimes.

tumblr_mrp22gmtUB1rskxyao1_500.png

Look's like you aren't the only one.

Dantis

Look's like you aren't the only one.

THEN I GUESS I'LL SWAP THE OUTFITS TOO.

Wait, the bad ending (
) ?

Got the ending where
Nanako dies
once, then got the ending where
Nanako survives, Namatame survives, plot is never solved
once. Then I looked online to see what I'd done wrong.

Sophia

Got the ending where
Nanako dies
once, then got the ending where
Nanako survives, Namatame survives, plot is never solved
once. Then I looked online to see what I'd done wrong.

Yeeeah.... you have to throw all sense of logic away to get the first one. :p

I think I got the neutral ending. Twice. I was like, 'wait this ending is kinda lame, guess I picked the wrong thing.' Then my finger slipped and I picked the same thing again >_>. Darn unskippable cutscenes.

That's a terrific Aigis dude. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of hours it took for you to pull that off.

Approx 8hr 40 mins. I can usually get stuff up to that level more quickly but I've been struggling with drawing faces. Gonna aim for 6hr with the next one.

Gamerloid

I didn't know it would end the game, obviously.

I was like
"YOU'RE RIGHT YOSUKE WE SHOULD KILL THIS BASTARD! Oh that was wrong? My bad."

When playing at that part, the vibe in that scene gave me the right answers. With the spotlight being on you,
it was clear to me that I had to oppose Yosuke at all cost.

Yeah, I think that much was clear, but I remember there being one set of dialog options that had like one obviously wrong choice and three rather ambiguous ones. That's what tripped me up anyways.

cjkeats

It's totally worthwhile. Once you're comfortable(ish?) with a style, fanart is great fun. You can just draw the stupidest, most random things you can imagine. Speaking of which...

It was just a weird train of thought I had this morning. I was thinking "What if Chie and Yukiko swapped hairstyles?" And then that led onto, "What if all the P4 characters swapped hairstyles?" and then that led onto "What if the P3 and P4 characters swapped hairstyles?" And then I was like "Wait, what if whoever swapped with Aigis became a robot?" and then obviously, the answer was Yukiko.

I think strange things sometimes.
Yeah, a lot of the reason I'd like to get into it again is because of stuff like this. I have even crazier cross franchise ideas and pixvi and other sites fail me almost every time. lol
That's awesome, dude. It's great to see someone try and get into it rather than do the opposite and get discouraged. Anyone can draw, you just gotta put the time into it. And if you enjoy it, you'll put time into it.
A lot of the problem I have is never knowing where to start and I give up before I begin. I haven't drawn since high school and unfortunately it's not like riding a bike. Gotta start all over basically.

A lot of the problem I have is never knowing where to start and I give up before I begin. I haven't drawn since high school and unfortunately it's not like riding a bike. Gotta start all over basically.

Ah, you gotta loosen up, that's why. You don't think where to begin, you just look at what you're drawing, put your pen to paper and go :p. I'd highly recommend looking into gesture drawing. By doing that you loosen up your mind and hands, you just try to capture the 'essence' of what you're drawing in a matter of seconds rather than worrying about whether it looks good or not. Then you try more complicated stuff afterwards.

For Aigis the Arena sprites came in useful. I'd draw a whole bunch of these (few seconds to a min each) before attempting anything decent. The one I posted started off like this. Buncha scribbles :p.

EMT0

Banned
So I started watching the Persona 4 anime a few days ago and I'm up to episode 15. Sogood.gif

For one, it really made Yukiko seem more alive to me. She seemed to just be there in Persona 4 Golden, just a member of the party that started to randomly laugh for no reason and seemed to be really passive, and her only good moment in my mind was at Escapade. But the anime is doing a great job of turning my opinion around.

I'm kind of disappointed that the battles consist entirely of Personas and that we don't get to see the cast go all-out with weapons in hand. But the boss battles themselves are usually really well done. Shadow Yukiko was actually great and helped give her more character.

While I found Kanji's boss battle hilarious yet awesome, I feel like the value was degraded a little at the expense of making gay jokes. But I didn't really mind that, the hilarity was sort of worth it. What seems odd is how Kanji kind of doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast after that; ie he comes off as a punk far more in the anime, as of Episode 15 at least. Maybe it's the lack of a dedicated Emperor S-Link that's giving me that impression?

And Teddie appeared to be getting the short(er than usual) end of the stick, at least in the beginning. Teddie got eaten by
Shadow Teddie
and they barely batted an eye outside of a half-hearted "Teddie!" from Yosuke.

Yu's stoic hilariousness has been amazing, and every episode seems to have a good mix of cool moments, hilarity, and feelgood aspects to it. Of course, they do go all out and give us episodes like Shadow Yukiko or Magic Investigator Nanako, which are usually some of the better episodes.

Episode 15, the field trip to Tatsumi Port Island was full of equal parts hilarity and feels. Because that Persona 3 music (P3 Major Spoilers)
Reminds me that Minato is dead...and he won't make an amazing cameo anytime soon :(

I've also enjoyed some of the creative freedom the directors have taken. The biggest example of this being Shadow Mitsuo's fight. It was really well-done IMO. So glad I ponied up the cash for it.

Dantis

Yeah, a lot of the reason I'd like to get into it again is because of stuff like this. I have even crazier cross franchise ideas and pixvi and other sites fail me almost every time. lol

Progress will feel slow at first because you'll just want to jump straight in and create something amazing, but if you keep at it you'll get there.

My personal recommendation would be to focus on realistic perspective and anatomy first. Having a knowledge of a more realistic art style enables you to adapt that knowledge to more stylised work. Also don't focus too heavily on directly copying existing works. I have friends who are excellent artists on a technical level, but all can they do is copy photographs and paintings and the like. I always feel like it kind of defeats the objective.

For Aigis the Arena sprites came in useful. I'd draw a whole bunch of these (few seconds to a min each) before attempting anything decent. The one I posted started off like this. Buncha scribbles :p.
Very cool. Arc do some great dynamic poses.

kewlmyc

So I started watching the Persona 4 anime a few days ago and I'm up to episode 15. Sogood.gif

For one, it really made Yukiko seem more alive to me. She seemed to just be there in Persona 4 Golden, just a member of the party that started to randomly laugh for no reason and seemed to be really passive, and her only good moment in my mind was at Escapade. But the anime is doing a great job of turning my opinion around.

I'm kind of disappointed that the battles consist entirely of Personas and that we don't get to see the cast go all-out with weapons in hand. But the boss battles themselves are usually really well done. Shadow Yukiko was actually great and helped give her more character.

While I found Kanji's boss battle hilarious yet awesome, I feel like the value was degraded a little at the expense of making gay jokes. But I didn't really mind that, the hilarity was sort of worth it. What seems odd is how Kanji kind of doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast after that; ie he comes off as a punk far more in the anime, as of Episode 15 at least. Maybe it's the lack of a dedicated Emperor S-Link that's giving me that impression?

And Teddie appeared to be getting the short(er than usual) end of the stick, at least in the beginning. Teddie got eaten by
Shadow Teddie
and they barely batted an eye outside of a half-hearted "Teddie!" from Yosuke.

Yu's stoic hilariousness has been amazing, and every episode seems to have a good mix of cool moments, hilarity, and feelgood aspects to it. Of course, they do go all out and give us episodes like Shadow Yukiko or Magic Investigator Nanako, which are usually some of the better episodes.

Episode 15, the field trip to Tatsumi Port Island was full of equal parts hilarity and feels. Because that Persona 3 music (P3 Major Spoilers)
Reminds me that Minato is dead...and he won't make an amazing cameo anytime soon :(

I've also enjoyed some of the creative freedom the directors have taken. The biggest example of this being Shadow Mitsuo's fight. It was really well-done IMO. So glad I ponied up the cash for it.

To be fair, it would be hard to animate the characters sneaking in two handed swords, desk tops, and kunai in their uniforms. It was stupid to begin with.

Caladrius

To be fair, it would be hard to animate the characters sneaking in two handed swords, desk tops, and kunai in their uniforms. It was stupid to begin with.

Not to mention golf clubs, armor, shields, rotting fish, submachine guns, 14 extra sets of clothes, healing items, deer antlers, and 16 pairs of glasses. You'd think they'd need a shopping cart or 12.

cjkeats

I watched the first episode of the P4 anime dub recently. The voice acting was just as great as the games of course, but it had some issues I like to nitpick at. The opening was better originally, they played Pursing my True Self over the intro. Instead they went with the opening. It wasn't as cool. Then at the gas station, Dojima says he "Just picked up his nephew at the airport". You dirty liar Dojima.
This is where the suspension of disbelief comes in. Absolutely necessary to enjoy things like this to the fullest.
Ah, you gotta loosen up, that's why. You don't think where to begin, you just look at what you're drawing, put your pen to paper and go :p. I'd highly recommend looking into gesture drawing. By doing that you loosen up your mind and hands, you just try to capture the 'essence' of what you're drawing in a matter of seconds rather than worrying about whether it looks good or not. Then you try more complicated stuff afterwards.

Progress will feel slow at first because you'll just want to jump straight in and create something amazing, but if you keep at it you'll get there.

My personal recommendation would be to focus on realistic perspective and anatomy first. Having a knowledge of a more realistic art style enables you to adapt that knowledge to more stylised work. Also don't focus too heavily on directly copying existing works. I have friends who are excellent artists on a technical level, but all can they do is copy photographs and paintings and the like. I always feel like it kind of defeats the objective.
Thanks for the tips guys. Very helpful.

Dantis

I watched the first episode of the P4 anime dub recently. The voice acting was just as great as the games of course, but it had some issues I like to nitpick at. The opening was better originally, they played Pursing my True Self over the intro. Instead they went with the opening. It wasn't as cool. Then at the gas station, Dojima says he "Just picked up his nephew at the airport". You dirty liar Dojima.

There's some real jank in the translation. At one point Narukami refers to Naoto as 'Fun-bags' (Referring to her chest, obviously). There's loads of little things like that. Yosuke's homophobia is cranked up to the max and stuff too.

Sophia

I always wonder why they didn't just leverage the comedy of sneaking it in oncee, then storing it in like a chest or something in the midnight channel itself. Not like the shadows are gonna bother it.

There's some real jank in the translation. At one point Narukami refers to Naoto as 'Fun-bags' (Referring to her chest, obviously). There's loads of little things like that. Yosuke's homophobia is cranked up to the max and stuff too.

Yosuke lost a lot of importance in the anime in general. Many key scenes involving him were given to Narukami instead. The scene that really stands out is late in the series (SPOILERS YO):
The scene with Namatame in the hospital. Most of Yosuke's anger and resentment was transferred over to Narukami. This ended up being a double edged sword, as on one hand the scene lost it's symbolism with Yosuke, but on the other hand it gave amazing character development to Narukami. The scene was genuinely disturbing too.

I still blame most of the negative elements of the anime on the director and production problems they had. It's why I have high hopes for the P3 movie. It doesn't appear to have any of the issues the P4 anime did.

Dantis

Yosuke lost a lot of importance in the anime in general. Many key scenes involving him were given to Narukami instead. The scene that really stands out is late in the series (SPOILERS YO):
The scene with Namatame in the hospital. Most of Yosuke's anger and resentment was transferred over to Narukami. This ended up being a double edged sword, as on one hand the scene lost it's symbolism with Yosuke, but on the other hand it gave amazing character development to Narukami. The scene was genuinely disturbing too.

I still blame most of the negative elements on the director and production problems they had.

Sure sure, but I was referring specifically to the English dub.

Sophia

Sure sure, but I was referring specifically to the English dub.

Ah... Yeah, the english dub is... iffy. I wish they would have waited and done it properly, but they seemed to be in a rush to get it out as soon as possible. Rarely does stuff get licensed that fast.

Would have been nice if they had solved the reverse importation issue too. Not being able to get proper Blu-Rays in the US sucks.

kewlmyc

I always wonder why they didn't just leverage the comedy of sneaking it in oncee, then storing it in like a chest or something in the midnight channel itself. Not like the shadows are gonna bother it.

Wasn't it stated that only Personas could harm/kill shadows? Attacking them with weapons kinda blows that out of the water. It's something that the games overlook too.

EMT0

Banned
I still blame most of the negative elements of the anime on the director and production problems they had. It's why I have high hopes for the P3 movie. It doesn't appear to have any of the issues the P4 anime did.

What exactly where the problems they had? It seems fairly well done to me, at least so far.

Sophia

Wasn't it stated that only Personas could harm/kill shadows? Attacking them with weapons kinda blows that out of the water. It's something that the games overlook too.

More accurately, this is something only Persona 3 (AFAIK) has stated. I don't think it was stated in Persona 2 or Persona 4. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What exactly where the problems they had? It seems fairly well done to me, at least so far.

There were a number of issues with animators not getting paid, the animation team being behind on episodes, and the director apparently bullying people. Some of them even asked the production team to remove them from the episode credits, due to disappointment with the final product. One of those being key animator Jun Arai, who is not credited with Episode 2 in the original release.

kewlmyc

There is a lot of QUALITY. That's the main problem, it seems to have a shoe-string budget. I heard the BD/DVD release fixed up some of the animation issues but holy crap did it suck when it first aired.

2444311-p4ep13err_l.jpg

Caladrius

There were a number of issues with animators not getting paid, the animation team being behind on episodes, and the director apparently bullying people. Some of them even asked the production team to remove them from the episode credits, due to disappointment with the final product. One of those being key animator Jun Arai, who is not credited with Episode 2 in the original release.

Ick, I hope DS2tAs production wasn't that messed up. I found it hard to watch due to the character exaggeration, and episodes 7 and 8 turned me off completely. I don't think an anime personally pissed me off like that before.

And clone chie is a prick, why didn't she share her watermelon?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
There is a lot of QUALITY. That's the main problem, it seems to have a shoe-string budget. I heard the BD/DVD release fixed up some of the animation issues but holy crap did it suck when it first aired.

2444311-p4ep13err_l.jpg

Two Chies are better than one!

Still blows my mind. How could they have possibly made that mistake in the first place? Never mind it going unnoticed until after the episode aired.

The Loveline episodes were pretty fun. "Stop or I'll pop a cap in ya!"

Dantis

Question: I'm going to draw some hairstyle and outfit swaps at some point soon because for some reason the idea amuses me. Should I adjust the colours of the outfits to match the new character?

For example, red isn't really a colour associated with Chie, so if she was wearing Yukiko's outfit, would it be better if I made it blue or green?

Caladrius

Question: I'm going to draw some hairstyle and outfit swaps at some point soon because for some reason the idea amuses me. Should I adjust the colours of the outfits to match the new character?

For example, red isn't really a colour associated with Chie, so if she was wearing Yukiko's outfit, would it be better if I made it blue or green?

Adopt it to the character's color associaton. Gives it a bit more of an interesting spin.

Squire

Banned

I think if you alter the color scheme it messes with the outfits recognizability. That potential clashing of colors/style is why swaps are interesting.

More accurately, this is something only Persona 3 (AFAIK) has stated. I don't think it was stated in Persona 2 or Persona 4. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Well Persona 3 contradicts a TON of stuff the series had established before so that's not surprising (and that godawful anime didn't help).

I guess you need a Persona to even face them during the Dark Hour so that'd make sense. Pretty sure you could harm them with weapons even if you didn't have a Persona.

PK Gaming

For no reason other than Sophia linking the series on IRC.

EDIT: Wow, quote doesn't shrink it, will fix in a minute.

EDIT again: Can't do it right now, too late. Sorry.

Context: The author is obsessed with associating Akihiko with that swimming outfit. You should see what they treat Oberon, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom