• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemstar

tumblr_mgqva1SGmH1rwvjm6o1_500.gif

Sophia

Since when is full body cosplay lewd now? Heck Yukari is basically a power ranger now with the new P4A update anyhow.... >_>;

KidDork

Working on my first P3 playthrough. Are there certain levels in Tartarus I need to reach by a certain time? I'm still early on, only about eight hours in.

I've already decided I don't want to spend any more time with the kendo team manager. My God, she's exhausting.

Sophia

Working on my first P3 playthrough. Are there certain levels in Tartarus I need to reach by a certain time? I'm still early on, only about eight hours in.

I've already decided I don't want to spend any more time with the kendo team manager. My God, she's exhausting.

Strictly speaking you don't have to reach any specific floor until the end of the game. However you absolutely should try to fill Elizabeth's requests to find documents in Tartarus, which require going up to the highest floor possible at that moment in the story. Not only does this mean you'll be ready for anything the story throws at you, but the rewards are great too.

Well Persona 3 contradicts a TON of stuff the series had established before so that's not surprising (and that godawful anime didn't help).

I guess you need a Persona to even face them during the Dark Hour so that'd make sense. Pretty sure you could harm them with weapons even if you didn't have a Persona.

That specific element is not a contradiction tho. You need a Persona to protect yourself from getting swarmed by Shadows in the Dark Hour.
After all, the only people who end up in the Dark Hour are those who have embraced aspects of death in some way, and those who have the potential to summon a Persona.

Mercifully, Trinity Soul is not canon, even if some of its cooler aspects have been made canonical.

PK Gaming

Watching my bro play through operation "up close and personal."

Yosuke continues to prove that he's the best character from Persona 4:G, oh my god.

You gotta have a motorcycle.

EDIT: Like what does Yosuke think is going to happen, get a motorcycle and suddenly girls will fall in love with him? GOD.

KidDork

Strictly speaking you don't have to reach any specific floor until the end of the game. However you absolutely should try to fill Elizabeth's requests to find documents in Tartarus, which require going up to the highest floor possible at that moment in the story. Not only does this mean you'll be ready for anything the story throws at you, but the rewards are great too.

Thanks, Sophia. :) I'll do my best to grab those Old Documents for the woman in the weird stewardess uniform.

Sophia

Now you're scaring me.

The Shadow Operatives were actually alluded to in Trinity Soul, as several of the adult members mention belonging to a secret society of Persona users. Also
Akihiko wanting to become a police officer at the end of Persona 4 Arena.

Trinity Soul wasn't devoid of good elements, y'know? Although it's a shame they've blown the concept of warring Persona users twice now. Maybe the P3 movie will rectify this.

The Shadow Operatives were actually alluded to in Trinity Soul, as several of the adult members mention belonging to a secret society of Persona users. Also
Akihiko wanting to become a police officer at the end of Persona 4 Arena.

The whole part about teenagers being the only ones that can summon a Persona is my biggest issue with the anime.

Sophia

The whole part about teenagers being the only ones that can summon a Persona is my biggest issue with the anime.

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason why Trinity Soul is non-canonical. It contradicts Persona 2 and Persona 4. It just served as a lousy reason to force the adults (read: Akihiko) into a support role.

FluxWaveZ

Doesn't Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena also state that only teenagers and up can gain Personas since they have the necessary life experience? Thought that was the reason given as to why
Nanako didn't gain a Persona.
Or maybe that was purely fan justification.

Sophia

Yeah, but that's not what I was talking about.

Not to mention that the pre-P3 methods of gaining a Persona were radically different.

The method of getting a Persona hasn't really changed, honestly. It just seems that way because the Wild Card was introduced as a concept at the same time as the Evoker.

I've always likened the concept of getting a Persona to that of the Thestrals from Harry Potter myself. You have to have a developed ego and understand not only the concept of death, but also the fear of it, to summon one.

(For those unaware, Thestrals can only be see if someone has witnessed death first hand and accepts the concept.)

FluxWaveZ

The method of getting a Persona hasn't really changed, honestly. It just seems that way because the Wild Card was introduced as a concept at the same time as the Evoker.

I've always likened the concept of getting a Persona to that of the Thestrals from Harry Potter myself. You have to have a developed ego and understand not only the concept of death, but also the fear of it, to summon one.

Really? I got the impression that anyone who played the Persona game in P1 or P2 effectively gained a Persona eventually. In P3 it was "having the potential" and then unleashing it with an Evoker and in P4 and P4A, it was through accepting your Shadow.

Sophia

Really? I got the impression that anyone who played the Persona game in P1 or P2 effectively gained a Persona eventually. In P3 it was "having the potential" and then unleashing it with an Evoker and in P4 and P4A, it was through accepting your Shadow.

Lots of people in P1/P2 didn't play the Persona game yet gained a Persona. The Evoker's just a tool, it's not mandatory. The Midnight Channel is more of a mystery, but accepting one's shadow seems to give potential to those who wouldn't normally have it.

The biggest difference between P1/P2 and P3/P4 is that the scenario writer for the first two, Satomi Tadashi, was far more liberal about handing out Personae to supporting cast members. On the other hand, Yuichiro Tanaka, scenario writer for the later two, is somewhat more conservative about it.

FluxWaveZ

Lots of people in P1/P2 didn't play the Persona game yet gained a Persona. The Evoker's just a tool, it's not mandatory. The Midnight Channel is more of a mystery, but accepting one's shadow seems to give potential to those who wouldn't normally have it.

The biggest difference between P1/P2 and P3/P4 is that the scenario writer for the first two, Satomi Tadashi, was far more liberal about handing out Personae to supporting cast members. On the other hand, Yuichiro Tanaka, scenario writer for the later two, is somewhat more conservative about it.

Yeah, I guess I was speaking more about the protagonists and not the rest like Strega or the ones in Persona 4, though I don't recall anyone in P1 or P2 getting a Persona that wasn't either the result of the Persona game or Nyarlathotep's influence.

Yeah, I guess I was speaking more about the protagonists and not the rest like Strega or the ones in Persona 4, though I don't recall anyone in P1 or P2 getting a Persona that wasn't either the result of the Persona game or Nyarlathotep's influence.

id say Kenta "Toro"

PK Gaming

I've gotta say, I prefer Tadashi's way of handling Persona than Tanaka's. One of the reasons why P2 felt so refreshing to me, was because the MCs were normal people. No wild card, chosen by destiny stuff. Just regular guys and gals who manage to overcome their adversaries through sheer force of will. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to undermine P3/4's style though, I thought their way of handling Personas and Shadows was pretty good too, I just really like what they did with P1/2.

Anyone else like how Persona's and shadows weren't hidden to the public? There was this one NPC who talked about how he used his Persona to climb to corporate ladder, and we know Eikichi used his for.

That's partly why I like Arena too...

Sophia

I've gotta say, I prefer Tadashi's way of handling Persona than Tanaka's. One of the reasons why P2 felt so refreshing to me, was because the MCs were normal people. No wild card, chosen by destiny stuff. Just regular guys and gals who manage to overcome their adversaries through sheer force of will. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to undermine P3/4's style though, I thought their way of handling Personas and Shadows was pretty good too, I just really like what they did with P1/2.

Anyone else like how Persona's and shadows weren't hidden to the public? There was this one NPC who talked about how he used his Persona to climb to corporate ladder, and we know Eikichi used his for.

That's partly why I like Arena too...

Yeah, Arena started heading back in the direction of P1/P2 in a lot of aspects. Personae were no longer a big secret, Resonance was back in, no one central character at the core of the story by virtue of having multiple wildcard holders, etc...

Also I am starting to join the "Persona 1 is better than Persona 2" camp, simply because of it's gameplay.

kewlmyc

Yeah, Arena started heading back in the direction of P1/P2 in a lot of aspects. Personae were no longer a big secret, Resonance was back in, no one central character at the core of the story by virtue of having multiple wildcard holders, etc...

Also I am starting to join the "Persona 1 is better than Persona 2" camp, simply because of it's gameplay.

Wait, P1's gameplay is better than P2's? Oh god, I'm in for a wild ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom