• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Walking around on the PSP version almost feels like controlling Sonic The Hedgehog doped up on speed.

Yeah, they sped it up massively.

I actually enjoyed the dungeons on P1 more than P2 because of that. The footstep sound is also weirdly satisfying when you're holding run.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, they sped it up massively.

I actually enjoyed the dungeons on P1 more than P2 because of that. The footstep sound is also weirdly satisfying when you're holding run.

P1's can be less frustrating, but only because there really isn't much to explore in P1's dungeons. Once you know the right route, there's no reason to explore the dead ends. P2 has stuff everywhere.

Dantis

P1's can be less frustrating, but only because there really isn't much to explore in P1's dungeons. Once you know the right route, there's no reason to explore the dead ends. P2 has stuff everywhere.

I just went the fastest route on both. I really liked how you could just blast through P1's.

Nothing says "This game is bad" louder than people rushing through it as quickly as possible.

I see people rushing through every game ever and I :I face

2kw6.jpg

Dantis

Nothing says "This game is bad" louder than people rushing through it as quickly as possible.

I didn't much care for the gameplay in the first two Persona games. It was everything else that I enjoyed.

Shit is old school, and I like modern game design. It's kind of funny, when you think about it, how Persona 1 and 2 were clinging to a retro style whilst Persona 3 and 4 were incredibly modern.

cj_iwakura

I didn't much care for the gameplay in the first two Persona games. It was everything else that I enjoyed.

Shit is old school, and I like modern game design. It's kind of funny, when you think about it, how Persona 1 and 2 were clinging to a retro style whilst Persona 3 and 4 were incredibly modern.

Can a game made in 1996 really be classified as having a retro style?

Dantis

Can a game made in 1996 really be classified as having a retro style?

Well, FF7 was 97 right? So yeah, I think so.

well I find that LOT of people like to compare games from 1996 and 1999/2000 to a game made in 2008

I should point out that this isn't what I'm doing. All I'm saying is that Persona 1 and 2 were old school RPGs, even for their time, whereas Persona 4 still feels modern, even five years on (In most respects, at least).

cj_iwakura

Well, FF7 was 97 right? So yeah, I think so.

I should point out that this isn't what I'm doing. All I'm saying is that Persona 1 and 2 were old school RPGs, even for their time, whereas Persona 4 still feels modern, even five years on.

Well, at the time, it was kind of common for RPGs to play that way. So it wasn't really designed to be 'retro'.

Dantis

FF7 was a revolution, its like comparing a pre doom/wolfenstien fps to those two.

I mean, sure, but compare FFXIII and Persona 4. Persona 4 feels a lot slicker and easier to play, despite FFXIII's ridiculously high budget and production values.

I think it was just a different development style for the previous Persona team.

Also Breath of Fire 3 is 97 too, so that's probably a more fair comparison.

PK Gaming

Persona, in Pickin up Demon Chicks:

ox0D8Rw.png

ejysp6R.png

N0VBUFy.png

4ogFZsQ.png

lmao

Looks like they need help from the pickup master himself.

I agree.
P1/2 makes up for its antiquated gameplay with its story (or in P1s case, game feel).

Walking around on the PSP version almost feels like controlling Sonic The Hedgehog doped up on speed.

Clack clack clack clack clack clack clack.

Dantis

you mean atmosphere ruining soundtrack?

Still good though, but just saying...

I think it changes the atmosphere, rather than ruining it.

The original Persona soundtrack is very classic SMT, to me. By the time Meguro wrote the new one, his classic SMT influence had pretty much completely died off. It's just a different direction, I think.

cj_iwakura

I think it changes the atmosphere, rather than ruining it.

The original Persona soundtrack is very classic SMT, to me. By the time Meguro wrote the new one, his classic SMT influence had pretty much completely died off. It's just a different direction, I think.

It really changes the tone of the game a lot. The hospital BGM, for instance, is filled with horrifying screams and demons laughing in the original.

The classic SMT feel is what I love about P1's OST.

Still, that is exactly one of five songs from P1 PSP's OST I like. (Not counting the remixed stuff)
(Pandora, School Days, overworld map, ending, opening)

Rhapsody

Banned
It's too bad P1 PSP couldn't let me switch between the new and old OST. Would've made it feel a little more refreshing when doing more playthroughs.

It's too bad P1 PSP couldn't let me switch between the new and old OST. Would've made it feel a little more refreshing when doing more playthroughs.

I still think they should have let you unlock Revelations mode options, classic music, sound effects, let you switch on the revelations: persona character designs and more...

...NO YOUR STUPID.

cj_iwakura

I still think they should have let you unlock Revelations mode options, classic music, sound effects, let you switch on the revelations: persona character designs and more...

...NO YOUR STUPID.

Unlock the original Atlus Corp., Ltd. script! (That's what they're called in the book.)

Just clear SQQ with all default Personas.

Sophia

That would have required more effort than worth, most likely. The remixed soundtrack doesn't line up with the original at times. Mostly due to altered story scenes. Even some of the tracks they kept aren't the same, due to missing or different intros.

Night Queen original vs Night Queen remixed.

Notice the missing intro, different instruments, and slightly different timing?

That would have been cool, but I bet it'd be a programming nightmare to do this too. Considering what we've heard about the game engine and all...

Squire

Banned
It really changes the tone of the game a lot. The hospital BGM, for instance, is filled with horrifying screams and demons laughing in the original.

This is just a thought, but do you ever think maybe that's why they changed it?

The way I've seen P1/2 discussed, it sounds like they suffer from an identity crisis to an extent (even if a minor one).

I know they're spin-offs, but if they're not going to be their own games, they may well be SMT titles.

^Thats how all the spinoffs felt in the Saturn/PS1 era. Devil Summoner was actually a Shin Megami Tensei in its original version, Soul Hackers was also very similar to an SMT. The Raidou revival majorly changed everything up in that series.

The original Revelations: Persona has almost three times the amount of music tracks as Persona PSP, and on average, all the tracks in the game are longer than the rather short Persona PSP songs.

cj_iwakura

The way I've seen P1/2 discussed, it sounds like they suffer from an identity crisis to an extent (even if a minor one).

I know they're spin-offs, but if they're not going to be their own games, they may well be SMT titles.

Well, P1 was made before it became its own thing. It's entirely possible it was meant to be a side story like Devil Summoner. Then when it was successful, like Devil Summoner, it got its own series and identity.

Dantis

Still, that is exactly one of five songs from P1 PSP's OST I like. (Not counting the remixed stuff)
(Pandora, School Days, overworld map, ending, opening)

I find it really interesting how you can see Meguro move further and further away from classic SMT as his soundtracks go on.

I feel like Nocturne was where he started to go into his own thing, and DDS2 was where he hit his stride. By Persona 3 there was virtually no influence from it at all.

Squire

Banned
^Thats how all the spinoffs felt in the Saturn/PS1 era. Devil Summoner was actually a Shin Megami Tensei in its original version, Soul Hackers was also very similar to an SMT. The Raidou revival majorly changed everything up in that series.

Then it is (or was) a general issue with the franchise.

Well, P1 was made before it became its own thing. It's entirely possible it was meant to be a side story like Devil Summoner. Then when it was successful, like Devil Summoner, it got its own series and identity.

That's sensible.

Sophia

Persona 2 doesn't really suffer form such issues, outside of the awkward tarot card/negotiation system. The story and writing are very similar to the style of P3, and the in game character are Soejima's designs.

Persona 1 on the other hand is firmly a game stuck between what came after it and what came before it. First person dungeons, heavy reliance on equipment, spell card fusion system that's half way between P2 and P3's systems, Kaneko drawn designs, music that goes back and fourth between sounding out of place with later installments and not, and buffs that behave like the mainline SMT system. Not to mention being able to use melee weapons and guns separately.

While I wish they could have kept more tracks in the PSP remake (in particular, Awakening Legend, which the motif of was used for P4's Awakening), I'm happy with the decision to make sound and look closer to what comes after it.

I find it really interesting how you can see Meguro move further and further away from classic SMT as his soundtracks go on.

I feel like Nocturne was where he started to go into his own thing, and DDS2 was where he hit his stride. By Persona 3 there was virtually no influence from it at all.

Revelations: Persona was actually his first work, and he composed it with several other composers. So he wasn't really that influenced by classic SMT. He started going into his own thing by Nocturne because he was working more and more alone.

Rhapsody

Banned
That would have required more effort than worth, most likely. The remixed soundtrack doesn't line up with the original at times. Mostly due to altered story scenes. Even some of the tracks they kept aren't the same, due to missing or different intros.
I was thinking more along the lines of choosing it on the config menu on the title screen or something. Kind of like choosing between languages for a dual audio game. Would've been a nice touch, but I'm fine with the new OST as well.

cj_iwakura

Revelations: Persona was actually his first work, and he composed it with several other composers. So he wasn't really that influenced by classic SMT. He started going into his own thing by Nocturne because he was working more and more alone.

Even with Nocturne, he had the veteran Kenichi Tsuchiya contributing, and he still largely does sound design work.

Speaking of which, Revelations has very LOUD sound effects.

Sophia

I was thinking more along the lines of choosing it on the config menu on the title screen or something. Kind of like choosing between languages for a dual audio game. Would've been a nice touch, but I'm fine with the new OST as well.

That's what I mean. You couldn't "flip an option." They changed the timings and placement for songs and stuff in Persona 1 PSP. A good example being "Awakening Legend", which doesn't have a replacement song at all in the PSP version.

On the other hand, Persona 2 PSP left all that alone by simply remixing the soundtrack.

From what I played of P1, it doesn't seem to fit the game. Which we could switch like in P2 or that the soundtrack was just a remixed version of the old games like P2.

It's all remixed in Persona 2. There are almost no new songs.

Rhapsody

Banned
That's what I mean. You couldn't "flip an option." They changed the timings and placement for songs and stuff in Persona 1 PSP. A good example being "Awakening Legend", which doesn't have a replacement song at all in the PSP version.

On the other hand, Persona 2 PSP left all that alone by simply remixing the soundtrack.

It's all remixed in Persona 2. There are almost no new songs.

Ah, I see. I've never played the original PS1 version, so I never knew. Never thought about playing the original localized version just because of the PSP version (not sure if it's even worth doing).

Samyy

I'm personally hoping it's a PS4 thing, is Sony having a conference for TGS? I also think it could be unveiled in famitsu around the time of TGS(or at least I hope).

They're doing both 9/9 and TGS. They said they would have news for both. I'm thinking 9/9 for more 1st party/2nd party stuff and TGS for 3rd party stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom