• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Sup with that?

I love Abyss. :(

Yay! Another Abyss lover in here! It's my favorite Tales of games. Vespira almost took that honor, but that final act. Gah.

Have any of you guys played Alice: The Madness Returns by chance. I liked the first one well enough but I hear mixed opinions about the sequel even though it looks gorgeous.

Take note that I also love Alice in wonderland in general and will probably accept more flaws if it delivers and interesting take on the story than most.

I love Alice Madness Returns. It was in my top ten list for game of the year 2011. It is a great callback to classic 3D platformers. The game is a little longer than it should be though. But Alice's art direction is superb; it is easily the best from 2011.

My dream Persona scenario is for Namco to buy Atlus, and then, Persona 5 with idolm@ster characters. Producer-san is just a grown-up Yu, anyways.

NO! The more items that contain idolm@ster characters, the higher the likelihood that Kentarō Miura will continue to ignore Berserk.

This is hilarious:

p3_4_x_vlr_by_hauntedstardust-d5j8rhl.png

HaHA! VA jokes!

cj_iwakura

So don't know if you're all aware, but the J PSN is offering a metric ton of free games right now.

Two of them are relevant to your interests!

Shin Megami Tensei If...
smtif-psx4.jpg

Moody music, smooth dungeon movement. It's basically a sharper SNES game. And it cuts right to it. "Oh hi [protagonist]", clouds turn black, then suddenly demons.
For the unfamiliar, the story is that demons invade a high school after some idiot student makes a pact with an entity for power, and you have to go kill them all.
The catch is that when you die, Charon brings you back with guardian spirits who give you more power. Sound familiar? It's the precursor to Persona.

Devil Children: Black/Red

dc-red3compare.png

dc-red4compare.png

Highlight of the bunch for me. This was the first DC/DemiKids title, a cutesy SMT spinoff designed to appeal to younger players and/or Pokemon fans.
Great music, fun combat, minimal(but not hand-holding) difficulty.

I originally bought a GBA just for DemiKids Dark, so I'm sure I'll love it.

Dantis

Tales of the Abyss was hot garbage. Never playing it again.

Happy birthday, Dantis!

Cheers pal!

I love Alice Madness Returns. It was in my top ten list for game of the year 2011. It is a great callback to classic 3D platformers. The game is a little longer than it should be though. But Alice's art direction is superb; it is easily the best from 2011.

How can you have great opinions like this..

Yay! Another Abyss lover in here! It's my favorite Tales of games. Vespira almost took that honor, but that final act. Gah.

...And then opinions like this? >_>
Also Catherine's art direction was better. COME AT ME.

Soriku

What makes Abyss so bad? I've enjoyed it so far, and heard nothing but good things outside of this thread.

Nothing really. The game has its vocal haters though. You should go find recent threads discussing the game here.

For the most part the biggest issue is that people don't like the cast.

Meia

I don't know much about the Tales games, so forgive me if I'm incorrect thinking like this if I'm off-base, but it seems to me the games have vastly different casts and storylines, so whether you'll like or hate a particular Tales game has more to do with personal tastes than anything else, right?

Vesperia is still on my backlog, sigh.

Soriku

I don't know much about the Tales games, so forgive me if I'm incorrect thinking like this if I'm off-base, but it seems to me the games have vastly different casts and storylines, so whether you'll like or hate a particular Tales game has more to do with personal tastes than anything else, right?

More or less.

Necrovex

Cheers pal!

How can you have great opinions like this..

...And then opinions like this? >_>
Also Catherine's art direction was better. COME AT ME.

Did Catherine come out in '11? I wasn't a huge fan of Catherine because of the puzzle mechanics. However, I loved every other thing about that game. The art direction is amazing in that game. Whether it is better than Alice all comes down to personal preferences.

And don't you be hating on the radness of Abyss!

What makes Abyss so bad? I've enjoyed it so far, and heard nothing but good things outside of this thread.

The biggest thing people seem to hate about Abyss is the cast, and the protagonist. I enjoyed the cast, and Luke's development as a character. I absolutely adored Tears, and Jade.

Vespira has a weird difficulty hump in the beginning, but after that hump, it isn't too hard of a game. I'm telling you this, since I expect you to play Vespira immediately. Get off Gaf, and play it!

Meia

Vespira has a weird difficulty hump in the beginning, but after that hump, it isn't too hard of a game. I'm telling you this, since I expect you to play Vespira immediately. Get off Gaf, and play it!

Right now I'm not halfway through Last of Us, so that's first.

My backlog is still pretty big though, so not sure what to tackle next. Vesperia may be the smartest thing. Burning myself out of Phoenix Wright after marathoning 1 and 2, so it might ruin 3 if it's any good. 999 I know nothing about the story yet so that's probably a ticking time bomb in terms of spoilers, but since I've avoided everything so far stlll could be safe.

I still haven't really played a Tales game before, not counting the maybe 5 hours I put into Vesperia over a year ago. From what I played, it reminded me a lot of my favorite PSX RPG, Star Ocean 2, so maybe that should be next.

Necrovex

Right now I'm not halfway through Last of Us, so that's first.

My backlog is still pretty big though, so not sure what to tackle next. Vesperia may be the smartest thing. Burning myself out of Phoenix Wright after marathoning 1 and 2, so it might ruin 3 if it's any good. 999 I know nothing about the story yet so that's probably a ticking time bomb in terms of spoilers, but since I've avoided everything so far stlll could be safe.

I still haven't really played a Tales game before, not counting the maybe 5 hours I put into Vesperia over a year ago. From what I played, it reminded me a lot of my favorite PSX RPG, Star Ocean 2, so maybe that should be next.

Play 999 first instead, and then Ace Attorney 3. Those are FAR more important than any Tales of games.

Young Magus

It's not baaaaad, but compared to the other Mothership titles it has its flaws. One thing that irritated me was the MASSIVE AMOUNT of backtracking done at a certain point in the game. Another thing was the amount of unsympathetic characters in the game, and how they handle a few key issues. Everyone in your party at one point or another does/say something that will make you go "...what".
In all it's not thaaat bad but the above has made it unlikely for me to playthough it again sometime soon. If someone on the street asked for my opinion, I'll say "eh it's alright". Jade's cool in my book, as is Luke
......to a certain extent
. But I hope you have fun with the game cj

Meia

Play 999 first instead, and then Ace Attorney 3. Those are FAR more important than any Tales of games.

Ok, so this leads to the next question then. I don't know much about 999's structure, just that you have to beat it quite a few times to see anything, which I'm guessing is what I should do before getting to VLR?

FluxWaveZ

Ok, so this leads to the next question then. I don't know much about 999's structure, just that you have to beat it quite a few times to see anything, which I'm guessing is what I should do before getting to VLR?

There's no point in playing 999 if one's not going to go for the true ending, which requires several playthroughs.

cj_iwakura

Sigh, and this is what I was afraid of, oh well. Guess I'll have to do that then.

You can reach the true end in two playthroughs, but it's well worth experiencing all the game has to offer. Some of the alternate ends are mindblowing.

Tamanon

Banned

I've found that a lot of the Abyss complaints came from the encounter rate and the unlikable hero.

I had no problem with either personally, and I'd put it at around my 3rd favorite Tales game(Vesperia #1, Symphonia #2, Eterity #4, Destiny #5)

cjkeats

Sigh, and this is what I was afraid of, oh well. Guess I'll have to do that then.

Like iwakura, it's only 2 playthroughs and the second one takes a quarter the time because you can fast forward parts you've seen.

It is well worth it.

Lunar15

Speaking of which, just picked up 999. VLR on the way, although I had to get the 3DS version since I don't have a Vita.

I played the crap out of Tales of Phantasia for GBA and enjoyed Abyss for 3DS (I also played Vesperia at a friend's house), but otherwise my exposure to the Tales series is limited. I heard Graces f has amazing gameplay but mediocre plot and characters, so I may give that a look.

FluxWaveZ

999 has the better overall story and is self-contained, unlike VLR, which is basically a setup for the final entry in the franchise. Though, VLR is still awesome.

That's one of the problems for me. The quality of VLR's narrative heavily depends on Zero Escape 3 while 999 was a well thought out, self-contained story that would work without a sequel.

Sophia

I prefer 999, as I feel it had the better cast of characters. :S

That, and VLR on the Vita at least had an awful user interface.

cj_iwakura

They're both great, but 999 is much better. More suspenseful too.

Even the writer said he was forced to make VLR less of a horror game.

Never forget the sliding doors.

Sliding doors > having to replay the game several times because you missed a single seemingly insignificant choice that screwed the rest of your playthrough over.

Both games have their fatal flaws, but VLR wins overall for me because its writing is sharper and less reliant on prose, and has more effective and less ridiculous inane twists (although in 999's defense, it was kind of
screwed over by the cultural barrier
). Both games are essentially down one character for most of the story, and I overall prefer VLR's cast (<3 K) to 999's (999 admittedly had the better villain though).

I could write a long, spoiler-laden paper on how I feel VLR is the better overall game, but I respect the opinions of those who prefer 999. VLR is not an inherently inferior game though.

Refyref

I need to get to VLR already. I really liked 999, even if it wasn't my favorite story on the DS.

That's one of the problems for me. The quality of VLR's narrative heavily depends on Zero Escape 3 while 999 was a well thought out, self-contained story that would work without a sequel.

Until the followup Q&A with the director/writer that was posted on the site afterwards, that is.

I only played the demo of VLR on my brother's 3DS, but it wasn't that bad.

They're both great, but 999 is much better. More suspenseful too.

Even the writer said he was forced to make VLR less of a horror game.

Well, that doesn't sound too great.

FluxWaveZ

Until the followup Q&A with the director/writer that was posted on the site afterwards.

I believe I read some of that and it doesn't answer anything important (and even if it does, things could change in ZE3 like they did from the 999 Q&A to VLR). VLR isn't self-contained when it ends with a straight up cliffhanger.

Edit: Oh, you mean 999's? Again, taking the Q&As in respect to the stories told within the games is useless.

A shame. I think the game could've used more tension.
Only a few of voting segments were actually tense.
(VLR spoilerz)

I loved the whole prisoner's dilemma theme.

Lemstar

999's puzzles stunk. I thought the other annoyances (painfully slow text scroll speed, having to do the first room five times, lack of voice acting) were incidental in comparison.

Refyref

999's puzzles stunk. I thought the other annoyances (painfully slow text scroll speed, having to do the first room five times, lack of voice acting) were incidental in comparison.

Some of them were alright. I just used a non-spoiler guide to get those that weren't.
I also used an ending guide to know how to get the ending I wanted, and thus I saved the 2 important ones for last.

lack of voice acting

Can't say I call that an issue, ever. :p

Zukuu

Banned
I'm thinking about getting the Persona remake for the PSP. Is it any good? I heard it's quite the farm fest (which I don't mind all that much actually), but how are the characters and the story etc?

Moonlight

Banned
I prefer 999, as I feel it had the better cast of characters. :S

Oh god, does it. I'm in the thick of it right now, and I cannot believe how many hoops I need to jump through just to select and use an item. Or even to trod through your inventory. I was convinced there had to be some sort of quick-select button hidden somewhere, but... nope.

Dunno what I prefer right now, I'm just eager to see what it's all leading to.

I like the whole AB game thing a lot, though. It's way more interesting, divergence-wise than the doors in 999.

Betraying Luna made me feel like such a total ass, though. D:
(VLR semi-spoilers)

Sophia

Betraying Luna made me feel like such a total ass, though. D:
(VLR semi-spoilers)

Wow, how could you betray someone as pure as her? ;_;

I'm thinking about getting the Persona remake for the PSP. Is it any good? I heard it's quite the farm fest (which I don't mind all that much actually), but how are the characters and the story etc?

It's dated. Not actually a bad game by any means, and it's design has some charms, but remember that it effectively came out in 1996, and it plays like one. That said, if you're fond of oldschool first person dungeon crawlers, then you'll feel right at home.

Tamanon

Banned

If you haven't played it yet, either of the Persona 2s would be a better choice, IMO. But yeah, it's pretty dated even with the new sheen added to it. Still good if you're not put off by graph paper!

Trigger

Pretty so-so. It's not on P2/3/4's level IMO. It's not awful, but not very memorable.

Zukuu

Banned
Mhhh, doesn't sound very good then. So I should rather give P2 a try? But isn't it weird to play it, since it starts where the first game ends? Also, you can only play half the game, since punishment was never released in english, or am I wrong?

Tamanon

Banned
Mhhh, doesn't sound very good then. So I should rather give P2 a try? But isn't it weird to play it, since it starts where the first game ends? Also, you can only play half the game, since punishment was never released in english, or am I wrong?

P2 and P1 have connections, but it's perfectly fine to play them without playing the first one.

And both are now in English, Innocent Sin on PSP and Eternal Punishment as a PSOne Classic.

Trigger

P2 is in the same universe, but it doesn't pick up immediately after P1. You wouldn't be very lost story wise. Innocent Sin (the first half of the P2 duology) is on PSN, but the re-release of Eternal Punishment isn't. You can play Innocent Sin on it's own just fine. Consider watching a few gameplay vids on youtube.

EDIT- Oh, and EP is available in English, but you'd have to buy the PSX version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom