• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodist

32077.jpg

Pretty standard experience system in P2, honestly. Everyone gets a roughly equal share. Nothing like the XP system in Persona 1.

That's cool then. Dunno why they did it, but it was pretty frustrating when most fights your MC gets about 3-4K and everyone else gets 800-1K, making them severely underlevelled. Prefer it to be more equal really.

Sophia

That's cool then. Dunno why they did it, but it was pretty frustrating when most fights your MC gets about 3-4K and everyone else gets 800-1K, making them severely underlevelled. Prefer it to be more equal really.

Well, experience in Persona 1 is based upon usage and effectiveness. If your MC was getting 2-3 times the XP on average, then that means he was doing 2-3 times the work in every battle. Which means you were probably making poor use of your other party members. ;p

(It's very similar to the SP system in P4, in that it rewards expert players and punishes beginners actually...)

PK Gaming

I like Erebus' design, music and principle more than the boss itself. The entire dichotomy of Erebus as the manifestation of human will and Nyx as the manifestation of human ideals was really neat, and his design is unsettling without seeming ridiculous, which a few other SMT bosses suffer from. You can't tell me that his music isn't awesome either. I like it for the same reason that I love The Almighty: it's not overly "epic" but is still awesome and pulse-pounding.

Confession time:

I didn't get any of that, haha. Though you're right, the music was awesome
and upon reflection, liked the concept of helping Makoto Yuki protect humanity

Confession time:

I didn't get any of that, haha. Though you're right, the music was awesome
and upon reflection, liked the concept of helping Makoto Yuki protect humanity

I have a habit of over-analysing things, so it's quite possible that I could be completely wrong ;P

Oh hey, when're you recording your two episodes of the podcast? The P2 one is this Friday, right? Is there a date set for the Yuri Lowenthal ep?

Exodist

Well, experience in Persona 1 is based upon usage and effectiveness. If your MC was getting 2-3 times the XP on average, then that means he was doing 2-3 times the work in every battle. Which means you were probably making poor use of your other party members. ;p

(It's very similar to the SP system in P4, in that it rewards expert players and punishes beginners actually...)

Oh yeah, I know how it worked. It was just stupid. Which meant getting levels was annoying and tedious as hell, since you'd have to individually use each character to win fights. I don't mind if I have to grind a few levels in a JRPG as long as it's not annoying as that. It just happened that in general fights my MC was the strongest I had.

I have a habit of over-analysing things, so it's quite possible that I could be completely wrong ;P
SPOILERS for end of P3/The Answer/P4
I thought it pretty much says that outright about Erebus though? I figured Nyx and Erebus weren't that different from Ameno-sagiri and Izanami, in that they try to fulfill the desires of the collective negativity of the world. Representing people who give up on life vs. the player characters who've found their place in life and say it's worth living for the positives. Or maybe even the collective vs. individuality, where the will of the characters as individuals overcome the will of the world.

FluxWaveZ

SPOILERS for end of P3/The Answer/P4
I thought it pretty much says that outright about Erebus though? I figured Nyx and Erebus weren't that different from Ameno-sagiri and Izanami, in that they try to fulfill the desires of the collective negativity of the world. Representing people who give up on life vs. the player characters who've found their place in life and say it's worth living for the positives. Or maybe even the collective vs. individuality, where the will of the characters as individuals overcome the will of the world.

It's explicit, yes.

Hope that theme changes with Persona 5. It's pretty much been the same since Persona 2 (albeit with minor differences). Then again, it's pretty much an SMT staple and it's even the same in Catherine.

MightyCrow

Neo Member
Hi Guys,

I recently decided to buy Persona 1 Portable for PS Vita and I was wondering what difficulty to start with as I am a complete newbie to the Persona franchise. I heard that this game is really hard so was thinking about Beginner difficulty or is that too easy?

Thanks

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hi Guys,

I recently decided to buy Persona 1 Portable for PS Vita and I was wondering what difficulty to start with as I am a complete newbie to the Persona franchise. I heard that this game is really hard so was thinking about Beginner difficulty or is that too easy?

Thanks

It's not really that hard. It's pretty easy once you start getting personae with nuclear spells. In fact, the difficulty becomes a joke at that point.

But if you just want to experience the story, go ahead and just play on beginner.

MightyCrow

Neo Member
It's not really that hard. It's pretty easy once you start getting personae with nuclear spells. In fact, the difficulty becomes a joke at that point.

But if you just want to experience the story, go ahead and just play on beginner.

I may do that. I don't mind a challenge but if it's just a grind fest then I'm not really interested.

Necrovex

It's lodged firmly in backlog status atm. Doing LoU now, probably 999 next, EP will be after that(I'd have it beaten by now if I could figure out how to not have turn orders reset all willy nilly instead of being in the area
just after the hospital
).

I heavily suggest playing AA3 after you finish 999. That finale to that trilogy is god-tier.

Meia

I heavily suggest playing AA3 after you finish 999. That finale to that trilogy is god-tier.

Gah, I can't hold all these games! :O

LoU(location spoilers) -
Just hit Spring in game, so chapter 10, so I know I'm almost done with that. Game is freaking amazing, and I can see how people were saying about Winter in game.

Necrovex

Gah, I can't hold all these games! :O

LoU(location spoilers) -
Just hit Spring in game, so chapter 10, so I know I'm almost done with that. Game is freaking amazing, and I can see how people were saying about Winter in game.

LOU has chapters?! WHAT?!

I would actually say to play AA3 before 999. You're about to cross the finish line for that trilogy anyway, so might as well finish it off!

Meia

After playing through 1 and 2 in a span of like 10 days, I'm seriously burning out on AA gameplay, and if I try getting through it right now I'm just going to do it via FAQ, which I don't want to. :(

Astra

After playing through 1 and 2 in a span of like 10 days, I'm seriously burning out on AA gameplay, and if I try getting through it right now I'm just going to do it via FAQ, which I don't want to. :(

Yeah, I can't marathon a series without burning out. For the best to take a break from AA then.

I am waiting on some friends to play MP with in TLoU. Other than that, I'm not sure what to play. Still have Dark Arisen to get through, but I am feeling burnt out on those kinds of games.
Maybe I'll try Alan Wake out.

Yumi, a girl on a french cartoon called Code Lyoko that was on Cartoon Network when I was younger who hs a big forehead.

Aw crap, I remember that show! Wasn't there some guy who became like, a CGI furry when they entered the computer world?

Also, just got
the flamethrower
in The Last of Us.
FIRE FETISH AW YISS!

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I can't marathon a series without burning out. For the best to take a break from AA then.

I am waiting on some friends to play MP with in TLoU. Other than that, I'm not sure what to play. Still have Dark Arisen to get through, but I am feeling burnt out on those kinds of games.

I'm hoping to get something in the XBL sale next week.

I might just get State of Decay.

cj_iwakura

I have no idea how people can actually enjoy Persona 1 anymore, it's so archaic and pales in comparison to the rest of the series. Playing the P2 saga is already a little on the tough side simply because the mechanics are so different from 3 and 4 which is admittedly where a lot of people started with the series.

I'm not sure any RPG series gets more backlash put against the older games than Persona. Final Fantasy VI is still widely regarded as a classic, yet Persona 1 & 2 are considered nigh unplayable. Go figure.

Trigger

Yumi is my third favorite social link in the whole game (she's beat out by Moon and Death). Even though most of her social link was a bit gloomy, I liked her story arc. P4 as a whole is pretty upbeat so having one or two storylines that counterbalance that are great.

Do iiiiiit.

Dantis

I've been playing quite a lot of LoU multiplayer recently. Really enjoying it. Finally finished the metagame today on the Firefly side. Now to start allllll over again as a Hunter!

You could land a plane on her forehead.

Cool cameo too:

Yumi, the Persona 4 character with a big forehead.

Yumi has an excellent design. You're silly.

I'm not sure any RPG series gets more backlash put against the older games than Persona. Final Fantasy VI is still widely regarded as a classic, yet Persona 1 & 2 are considered nigh unplayable. Go figure.

This really isn't that confusing. Final Fantasy (Particularly the older ones) is probably the most well-known, well-loved JRPG franchise out there (Though I guess there's Pokemon too).

Persona is not.

FF6's battles are also more pleasant. Persona's are efficient, but man, the terrible menus and some of the bizarre mechanics (Like the tarot system) really bring it down.

Yumi is my third favorite social link in the whole game (she's beat out by Moon and Death). Even though most of her social link was a bit gloomy, I liked her story arc. P4 as a whole is pretty upbeat so having one or two storylines that counterbalance that are great.

Do iiiiiit.

YES.

High five, Trig!

Yumi's S Link was more Persona 3-esqu I thought, because it's about an unavoidable event, whereas most of Persona 4's links are about personal flaws (Though Yumi's is that too).

PK Gaming

Her forehead's fine :|

I liked her Social Link overall, but I really wish it had more drama scenes. I joined the drama club to become a Thespian goddamnit, where are my plays :X

Squire

Banned

FFVI is better than Perspna 1 & 2. Mystery solved.

Do iiiiiit.

High-five, man. Yumi was great. Moon would be towards the very top for me as well.

I'm gonna watch the Quick Look for SOD.

Sophia

"....and then going to drama got really awkward"

Final Fantasy VI holds up extremely well, and Revelations Persona holds up like crap. :p

Marche90

FF VI is still easily playable to this day (as in, its battle system is still fun), the encounter rate is more sane and you don't have to deal with creating new things to fight for you every now and then. Doesn't matter if the story of P1 & 2 is better, I know it is at the very least with the P2 duology, it's the gameplay that kills it, and you know it. Badly-designed dungeons, terrible encounter rate (a reason why I still haven't finished Skies of Arcadia to this day, though I've heard that the encounter rate is more sane in the GCN version is better. I'll track down a copy of it together with a GC controller and an MC later... and sorry, I know this is a thing for another thread xD), somewhat clunky interface, no minimap to even help dealing with the dungeons, etc etc etc.

You are willing to overlook way too much its faults, tbh, but you played it before you played the more modern games, I betcha, so that's why you take that stance. It's just too hard, for me at least, and I'm not hoping that someone else backs me up on this, to just brave the first few hours until it gets better, or at least until you're actually willing to play just for the story

As I've said before, though, I WILL still try to play it after I finish with my current multimedia backlog. I just hope to not give up like before. If I do, I'll just watch an LP and call it a day.

Also, just don't take all the things that I've said personal, since I know how it feels to get one of the games you love to death to get shot down for whatever reason someone gives you. I'm just trying to answer your question, even if you don't really feel this way too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I keep hoping Soul Hackers did well enough on 3DS that they would port over that EP remake to 3DS and actually put it out over here.

Or at least a SMT 2 remake. But now with the whole fiasco with Index, who the fuck knows. We'll be lucky if the PS2 SMT/spinoffs ever show up on PSN Classics at this point.

FluxWaveZ

I keep hoping Soul Hackers did well enough on 3DS that they would port over that EP remake to 3DS and actually put it out over here.

How does that make any sense?

And, again, it's been stated that the reason they didn't bring EP over wasn't because of a fear of low sales.

Cheska

The Final Fantasy mechanics are still somewhat the same. I mean, the XIII series strayed away a bit, but if anything it's a lot of people's favorite aspect of it.

A lot of people don't want to dedicate so much time grinding and negotiating with demons. It's hard to deny the time sinkers that the older Persona games are :(

Astra

Friend of mine has SoD and is loving it.
That's coming to PC as well, right? They're adding co-op as well?

I've been playing quite a lot of LoU multiplayer recently. Really enjoying it. Finally finished the metagame today on the Firefly side. Now to start allllll over again as a Hunter!

Yeah, it looks really interesting. I am looking forward to it.
I suck at faster paced MP, but do pretty well at the more methodical type, such as Assassin's Creed MP.

cjkeats

Not gonna happen, EU tried to get it working, jumped the gun and announced they were doing it, then went back on it and said technical issues are preventing them from doing it

Probably the same technical issues that's stopping the Raidou games Atlus spoke about a while back.

cjkeats

We need an enhanced Vita port then, of all of them.

A man can dream.

All Sony gotta do is fix the emulator or whatever the issue was and we'll have them. I'd image a bunch more too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nocturne up there as well someday.

Still wish PS2 classic worked on vita. Or at the very least worked via remote play.

Astra

Yep!

And the obvious solution is DDS 1+2 HD Collection.

Atlus should do that if they manage to get out of legal trouble.

Hey, if Sony buys them, they should HDify all of their older games.

All Sony gotta do is fix the emulator or whatever the issue was and we'll have them. I'd image a bunch more too, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nocturne up there as well someday.

Still wish PS2 classic worked on vita. Or at the very least worked via remote play.

Yeah, I'd love to have ps2 classics on the Vita. Ah well, maybe with the PS4 we can play them on Vita via remote play and gaikai.

FluxWaveZ

How does it not?

Well they should probably stop bringing every game over then.

I don't understand what Soul Hackers selling well would have to do with them porting over the remake of a PSP game whose prequel wouldn't make it over to the 3DS when they didn't bother bringing the remake to PSN in North America.

And... what? What does them not being able to bring a localized version of the P2:EP PSP remake because of undisclosed reasons that are not related to sales potential have to do with localizing other releases?

I preferred Apple head's link to Yumi's, gotta love cheering for the underdog.
It's explicit, yes.

Hope that theme changes with Persona 5. It's pretty much been the same since Persona 2 (albeit with minor differences). Then again, it's pretty much an SMT staple and it's even the same in Catherine.

Thought so, I'm still new to the series so I didn't know it was a running theme for those games too. I'm guessing from what I've heard Nyarlathotep is a similar entity to the final bosses of P3/4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom