• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On PS3? Yeesh, no thank you.

Well, unless it's your only way to play it...

It ran a-okay on my phat launch PS3. No crashes, silky framerate, and no obviously clipping, flickering or texture issues. The only hiccups I encountered were occasional lapses of the physics engine to an impossible degree, but that actually enhanced my experience rather than dampened it.

I really wish there was cross-platform multiplayer though so I could play with my co-workers and Inorigo :(

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The behind-the-scenes back and forth mod battle in the poll thread is amazing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=79831693#post79831693

BlvzYkc.png

lqrDGNn.png

a3TMSGr.png

c7iOQQy.png

SPf7cqq.png

It ran a-okay on my phat launch PS3. No crashes, silky framerate, and no obviously clipping, flickering or texture issues. The only hiccups I encountered were occasional lapses of the physics engine to an impossible degree, but that actually enhanced my experience rather than dampened it.

I really wish there was cross-platform multiplayer though so I could play with my co-workers and Inorigo :(

For me it's more of a case of having a powerful enough PC to max it out and have no technical issues (at least ones that aren't scripting breaking or anything) and for cheaper.

kewlmyc

Rewatching the P4 Anime (bluray version). QUALITY was the main problem with the P4 anime and with that gone, it's pretty enjoyable. They handled the Social Links as best as they could since they don't impact the story (the P3 movies probably won't touch them) and some of the fights are pretty good. The color scheme (Cheeto beards) and they way they handled Kanji's dungeon were the only things I didn't like about the series.

How does everyone else like the P4 anime?

Soma

Thought it ranged from mediocre to pretty bad honestly.

Had some interesting ideas such as
the groundhog day thing
for the last episode and they actually managed to make the villain pretty intimidating for a moment. The whole BROSWAGONIST thing from the Port Island episode was fun for a few weeks but that got played out fast.

Overall I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a fan of the game.

kewlmyc

Thought it ranged from mediocre to pretty bad honestly.

Had some interesting ideas such as
the groundhog day thing
for the last episode and they actually managed to make the villain pretty intimidating for a moment. The whole BROSWAGONIST thing from the Port Island episode was fun for a few weeks but that got played out fast.

Overall I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't already a fan of the game.

What was so bad about it?

Sophia

I'll say it again: I am so glad the Persona 3 movie anthology is in the hands of someone who has a positive track record for directing dramas.

kewlmyc

I'll say it again: I am so glad the Persona 3 movie anthology is in the hands of someone who has a positive track record for directing dramas.

iirc, he has done all the seasons of Bakuman, which was a really fateful adaption. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

I dunno why but it's so derp I'm lol'ing a little

Eh, it's okay. Though my main complaint stems from how it feels like something you'd enjoy if you played the game already. Watching the show doesn't have the same sense of satisfaction as playing the game does imo. Since a focus of the game is how you handle things like S Links, seeing the show just handle them the way they do is a little disappointing in that they feel condensed. That brings me to another point, said condensing. The show's goal is to fit a long RPG into 20+ episodes, and it mostly works, but at the cost of those S Links being condensed a little bit. And there's times when the animation quality could be a little better... Also a few things that don't really happen in game that they do for the sake of speeding things up, one in particular that's pretty darn spoilery, though if anything I feel that goes back to the condensing a bit. I guess a lot of it has to do with trying to work the show into an episode limit, when I stop to read this lol.

So yeah, good if you played the game, if not try to play it first. That's how I see it.

Show does have some funny moments though, I'll give it that.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think that's my problem with videogames getting anime adaptations. Too many of them are "It's enjoyable if you've played it".
P4 the Animation's director pretty much did the same thing with Dangan Ronpa.

It doesn't help that most of them have low budgets just to make it a quick advertisement.

kewlmyc

Most people don't like it since it doesn't treat the social links correctly. Considering the P3 trilogy has even less time to cover social links, are you guys looking forward to it?

I think that's my problem with videogames getting anime adaptations. Too many of them are "It's enjoyable if you've played it".
P4 the Animation's director pretty much did the same thing with Dangan Ronpa.

It doesn't help that most of them have low budgets just to make it a quick advertisement.

Jesus Christ, don't even get me started on DanganRonpa the Animation. Now THAT is a shitty adaption. Also possibly my most hated anime because of how lazy it is.

Soma

What was so bad about it?

To date there's only been one show I've enjoyed from the director Seiji Kishi (Humanity Has Declined and even that was widely considered very inconsistent). Whether it was the fault of attempting to adapt a 60+ hour game into 26 episodes or a the fault of a bad director, the show suffered from really poor art direction and pacing. Even the characters themselves somehow felt like they lacked the charm that made them so likeable in the game and ended up becoming paper thin representations of themselves in the adaption.

I honestly wasn't impressed with many of the action scenes though the SMT demon fan service was nice. The new Meguro songs didn't do much for me either but I don't think that's a popular opinion. lol

The P3 Movie however looks to be looking worlds better from an animation standpoint but I'm not getting my hopes up thinking that the pacing will be any good.

Most people don't like it since it doesn't treat the social links correctly. Considering the P3 trilogy has even less time to cover social links, are you guys looking forward to it?

Yeah that's one reason. Though I wouldn't mind some changes in P3's case. We were talking about this in the IRC the other day but replacing Nozomi's link since it was so unbelievably eh could be good if done right.

Sophia

Persona 3 has the advantage of a lot of it's social links are more easily removed from the narrative. Doing Maya, Nozomi, Tanaka, Mamoru, or Bunkichi and Mitsuko would be rather pointless. Their stories don't add much to the narrative. Akinari and Maiko could be integrated into the same scenes. Kaz, Chihiro, Yuko, Bebe, and Hidetoshi can all be integrated into the school scenes. Plus there's an absolutely staggering amount of material from P3P, the drama CDs, and the light novels that could be used in place.

In contrast, Persona 4's social links are more integrated to the story. They're all party members, or people involved with the investigation, or related characters like Nanako and Margaret.

Meia

So guys, my protagonist started talking

fDqwEwy.jpg

WITHOUT MY CONSENT

I think it's his shadow self

Yep, a little bit before this the story starts, grats!

...just in time for it to end.
:p

Best thing about the p4 anime was the music.
Yukiko's
rescue episode, Dojima episode, Loveline episode, and the last episodes are the only ones worth watching imo.

Jintor

Note to self: don't enter these threads:
  • Platinum news thread
  • Nintendo sales threads
  • Threads asking people about their opinions on feminism or sexuality

I want to punch people through the internet.

Squire

Banned
  • Platinum news thread
  • Nintendo sales threads

I think you covered all the bases.

Me too.

kewlmyc

• Platinum news thread
  • Nintendo sales threads

I easily get the last one, but why the first two? Never really entered those threads, so I don't understand.

Sophia

I easily get the last one, but why the first two? Never really entered those threads, so I don't understand.

Certain subjects seem to bring out the worst in people. I fear going into Persona threads on the main forum myself now because a lot of really silly people come out. Worst part is, I'm worried that what they do sometimes gets associated or blamed on us. :\

Squire

Banned
Certain subjects seem to bring out the worst in people. I fear going into Persona threads on the main forum myself now because a lot of really silly people come out. Worst part is, I'm worried that what they do sometimes gets associated or blamed on us. :

I've seen a few "lol PersonaGAF" posts in response to silliness that have had me all like "???"

Rhapsody

Banned

1st one is basically Platinum fans arguing that the games are good and don't get the sales it deserves. The other side basically use it as an argument to say Kamiya and Platinum in general just makes bad games. Nintendo sales threads are mostly bad for the Wii U ones. Then you have a couple threads sprouting about on whether Nintendo is doomed, what can save Nintendo, or Nintendo should go 3rd party.

Sophia

I've seen a few "lol PersonaGAF" posts in response to silliness that have had me all like "???"

I wasn't too fond of the person in a previous thread who insinuated that pedophilia and body shamming were common in Persona threads.

Luckily, Dresden locked it quickly after (THANK YOU!) but that thread really made me wonder about the type of people who get blamed on us. Plus it quickly became a spoiler minefield when people started arguing about FES over Portable. I can only hope the original poster was not spoiled unintentionally.

It's quite bizarre. I think some people think this entire thread is hyper pervy and weird.

If anything, we're one of the least perverse community thread on the forums. I can't deny the slight weirdness however. =P

XiaNaphryz

Finally got back around to Project X Zone after getting through just a few chapters when it came out. So much fanservice goodness - the Sakura Taisen level especially.

Fire Emblem X SMT isn't enough - they need to throw all of Atlus in there. The Trauma games included! Might as well throw in other Nintendo tactical games like Advance Wars.

Dantis

Fire Emblem X SMT isn't enough - they need to throw all of Atlus in there. The Trauma games included! Might as well throw in other Nintendo tactical games like Advance Wars.

I actually wonder if this is closer to what it will be. I feel like it would be very surprising if there were no Persona references in there.

Sophia

I actually wonder if this is closer to what it will be. I feel like it would be very surprising if there were no Persona references in there.

I've always basically wanted Super Robot Wars, but with all video game characters instead of mecha.

Project X Zone is close, but it's silly battle mechanics and poor presentation detract from the game. :(

XiaNaphryz

I've always basically wanted Super Robot Wars, but with all video game characters instead of mecha.

Project X Zone is close, but it's silly battle mechanics and poor presentation detract from the game. :(

What's so silly about it? It may be a tad simple, but it's fun trying to string combos together to keep juggles going and maximize damage by timing your attacks and tag-ins. Then again, I generally enjoy systems that encourage juggling from fighting games to RPGs like Grandia 3.

And the presentation is charming enough - I like the sprite animations.

Gonna see if I can get through more of it, but I always end up getting sucked back into Crusader Kings 2 and losing at least half a day. Gonna be even worse when I finally jump into Europa Universalis 4 for more than a basic look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom