• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Man, IdleThumbs is so great.

The Cave was also a game I expected to be better because of Remo's involvement. I'm not sure why I set these expectations, haha.

Sophia

2013-09-07-1927453ys0l.jpg

Jack The Ripper should totally be in the next Persona game. He's so awesome.

1. Bayonetta
  2. Persona 4
  3. Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
  4. Dark Souls
  5. Hitman: Blood Money
  6. Psychonauts
  7. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  8. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 2
  9. Portal
  10. UFO: Enemy Unknown / XCOM: Ufo Defence

1. Shadow of the Colossus
  2. Pokémon White
  3. Persona 4 Golden
  4. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
  5. Metal Gear Solid 4
  6. Kingdom Hearts II
  7. Kid Icarus: Uprising
  8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  9. Elite Beat Agents
  10. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

TLoU was good, but I was honestly a bit disappointed by me. It didn't feel like a 10/10 game in many respects, and although the writing and presentation were good the story was tired and predictable with very few surprises. The Walking Dead was the second game ever to make me cry and I was looking forward to TLoU being the third, but in the end it failed to make me feel anything but anger at certain characters and kind of hollow at times.

The reason Metal Gear Rising is my GOTY so far is just because it's the best pure game I've played all year. I like to judge a game's gameplay by how long it makes me stick around after I've beaten the main story. MGR's plot is a mere 8 hours long at best, and yet to date I've clocked in at over 130 hours and I don't even have three quarters of the trophies. In my mind, that is the sign of a great game and not just a great movie with some gameplay here and there.

/rant

Sophia

Presented without comment.

I wish they had put Lucifroz in. He's the only major Frost missing from the game and it deeply wounded my soul. And the frost 5 would have been nice too.

I hope the Persona count in Persona 5 is comparable to P4G at least. Ideally I'd want it to be as big as SMT IV, but that aint happening. They're working with HD assists most likely.

Jintor

Rising only held my attention for 20-30 hours. Which is a fair amount, but eh.

It has severe camera problems that really become a huge problem at Very Hard or higher difficulty, exascerbating the grabbing and off-screen attack issues quite badly.

Caladrius

I hope the Persona count in Persona 5 is comparable to P4G at least. Ideally I'd want it to be as big as SMT IV, but that aint happening. They're working with HD assets most likely.

Optimistically I'm thinking 230. Golden had about 170 IIRC.(On that note, I was amazed that a lot of the added ones were franchise regulars missing from the base game. I did a double-take when I noticed Sun-Wukong and Pale Rider were added.)

Sophia

No news on the Atlus situation? Weren't we supposed to hear about it at the end of august or was it the beginning of this month?

They were trying (key word) to get it settled by the end of the month. We haven't heard anything tho.

Optimistically I'm thinking 230. Golden had about 170 IIRC.(On that note, I was amazed that a lot of the added ones were franchise regulars missing from the base game. I did a double-take when I noticed Sun-Wukong and Pale Rider were added.)

I'd say 230 is overly idealistic. Maybe 200. It all depends on how much of the assists they have to redo.

Omikaru

No news on the Atlus situation? Weren't we supposed to hear about it at the end of august or was it the beginning of this month?

It was supposed to be the end of August AFAIK. Someone made a thread about this the other day, but the mods locked it.

I'm pretty anxious to find out myself, since that announcement is all I feel stands between me and my delicious Persona 5 goodness.

Rising only held my attention for 20-30 hours. Which is a fair amount, but eh.

It has severe camera problems that really become a huge problem at Very Hard or higher difficulty, exascerbating the grabbing and off-screen attack issues quite badly.

I think the last patch fixed a lot of the camera issues, as when I booted it back up to show a friend the other day, it never once got caught on anything and was much slower to snap back into place.

Every game has its flaws though and although this was a particularly egregious one, I was willing to look past it for the most part due to the rest of the game being so tightly-made and fun. During my entire playthrough of TLoU, there were only one or two moments that gave me the sense of fun and satisfaction that five minutes of playing Revengeance gave me, so either there's something wrong with my brain, or Revengeance's issues were comparatively small potatoes in the big picture.

They were trying (key word) to get it settled by the end of the month. We haven't heard anything tho.

It was supposed to be the end of August AFAIK. Someone made a thread about this the other day, but the mods locked it.

I'm pretty anxious to find out myself, since that announcement is all I feel stands between me and my delicious Persona 5 goodness.

Ah okay, I'll wait until TGS before I start worrying.

I'd say 230 is overly idealistic. Maybe 200. It all depends on how much of the assists they have to redo.
I'll be surprised if we have more than 125 tbh(unless they do palette swaps), how many demons did nocturne start with? I also hope they don't use the demon designs in from SMTIV.

Caladrius

Unless they introduce a lot of new designs to the game or undergo a tremendous art-shift I think they just have to bump the poly counts and redo the textures. Which is admittedly still a hefty bit of work, but considering the game will have been in development for at least 3 years by the time it releases I think it's doable.

Unless they introduce a lot of new designs to the game or undergo a tremendous art-shift I think they just have to bump the poly counts and redo the textures. Which is admittedly still a hefty bit of work, but considering the game will have been in development for at least 3 years by the time it releases I think it's doable.

Are you talking about them reusing assets from the older games?

Caladrius

Ah okay, I'll wait until TGS before I start worrying.

I'll be surprised if we have more than 125 tbh(unless they do palette swaps), how many demons did nocturne start with? I also hope they don't use the demon designs in from SMTIV.

Nocturne had close to 120 or so, going by the list on the wiki

Are you talking about them reusing assets from the older games?

It's not exactly unprecedented.

Sophia

Even ignoring the hilarious mis-translation, I can't help but feel there's something off about the Arena manga. Not being Sogabe makes it iffy....

Squire

Banned
I think the last patch fixed a lot of the camera issues, as when I booted it back up to show a friend the other day, it never once got caught on anything and was much slower to snap back into place.

Every game has its flaws though and although this was a particularly egregious one, I was willing to look past it for the most part due to the rest of the game being so tightly-made and fun. During my entire playthrough of TLoU, there were only one or two moments that gave me the sense of fun and satisfaction that five minutes of playing Revengeance gave me, so either there's something wrong with my brain, or Revengeance's issues were comparatively small potatoes in the big picture.

I could say the same for Saints Row IV. TLOU isn't fun or satisfying in a traditional sense at all. It's tone is oppressive and every challenge is something to get through, whether you want to do so quickly, efficiently, whatever; you want it to be done with and you want to be alive at the end to continue on.

I can't name another game that's made me feel the way TLOU does. It's a little like the film Blue Valentine, if you've seen that. It revels in misery and the ugliness of humanity and it's an arduous experience throughout.

Presenting: The first half of the 100% official translation of the first issue of the Persona 4 Arena manga.

Here are some samples:

Dude you actually had me there for a minute :p. Jeez Mitsuru, don't get your panties in a twist.

Man, I hope it's not too long until we start getting more Arena 2 info.

FluxWaveZ

Presenting: The first half of the 100% official translation of the first issue of the Persona 4 Arena manga.

Here are some samples:

That's amazing.

It'd be great if there was an official translation for these where we could at least buy the manga digitally or something.

Nocturne had close to 120 or so, going by the list on the wiki

It's not exactly unprecedented.

Would they be able to do that? I guess it's possible to do if it's based off the old engine, I don't think it is though. I think they'll make new demons from scratch but I also think that the persona studio isn't the only ones working on the game either(or at least I don't think they are the only studio at Atlus working on the engine/demon assets, something like that should be a company wide effort).

Caladrius

Would they be able to do that? I guess it's possible to do if it's based off the old engine, I don't think it is though. I think they'll make new demons from scratch but I also think that the persona studio isn't the only ones working on the game either(or at least I don't think they are the only studio at Atlus working on the engine/demon assets, something like that should be a company wide effort).

At the very least they would have the basic mesh, skeleton and textures to assemble the models with. Converting and possibly re-animating them for usage with the new engine would be the hard part, and probably the main factor that would determine the roster size if they didn't go all-out and make new models.

At the very least they would have the basic mesh, skeleton and textures to assemble the models with. Converting and possibly re-animating them for usage with the new engine would be the hard part, and probably the main factor that would determine the roster size if they didn't go all-out and make new models.
Hmmmm, Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what they do with it.
I'm guessing the assets are brand new.

I bet P5 is really pretty though. Like, better looking than Catherine.

Yup, Soejima is going to be doing some GOD LIKE shit for that game in terms of art direction. I think people are going to be surprised by how good it looks.

Sophia

Well for one, they do all the events from Aigis's POV whenever possible. For another, as you can see above Yosuke appears to be fighting in both fights, implying he wins and moves on as per the Aigis story route.

Wasn't there a site that had a bunch of samples of the manga? There was a Yosuke and Aigis route.

Remember: Yosuke and Aigis share the same story route. It only differentiates near the end when they fight each other. Up until then it's the same set of events.

Caladrius

Hmmmm, Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

Yup, Soejima is going to be doing some GOD LIKE shit for that game in terms of art direction. I think people are going to be surprised by how good it looks.

Totally. I think people are underestimating how important that element is to them.

In a perfect world the Persona art team would do a pokemon-style blitz with a huge set of all-new designs, only with all the detail they sneak into the plot-relevant persona put into every single one of them. Bricks would be shat. Soejima-style reimaginings/modifications on the regulars
actual high-tech Metatron plz
would be a party in my pants.

As a completely irrelevant side-note, I thought most of SMT IV's designs were at least okay. The main complaint I have is that a lot of them needed streamlining. (I'm looking at you Asmodeus. I would have loved the design if I could tell what the hell was going on within 30 seconds.Same goes for Neo-Gabriel and Neo-Raphael, who I actually really liked anyway.) And if Koga Saburo doesn't show up again someone is going to die.

kewlmyc

Well for one, they do all the events from Aigis's POV whenever possible. For another, as you can see above Yosuke appears to be fighting in both fights, implying he wins and moves on as per the Aigis story route.

Remember: Yosuke and Aigis share the same story route. It only differentiates near the end when they fight each other. Up until then it's the same set of events.

Now that I think about it, didn't Yosuke and Aigis have pretty much the same ending?

Sophia

Now that I think about it, didn't Yosuke and Aigis have pretty much the same ending?

Not quite, but their routes are very similar. They're almost identical until you hit near the end.

Of the four starting members, Yosuke has the best route. Yu's is boring outside of his interactions with Aigis and Elizabeth. Chie's is boring outside of her interactions with Akihiko. And Yukiko's is just plain boring.

Oh, they do? I don't remember Yosuke's at all. Aigis better kick his butt then.

Yeah they follow the same set of events up until near the end. At which point you fight each other. Judging from the fact that Aigis's route has the more serious post-battle events, it was probably intended to be the canonical outcome.

kewlmyc

Not quite, but their routes are very similar. They're almost identical until you hit near the end.

Of the four starting members, Yosuke has the best route. Yu's is boring outside of his interactions with Aigis and Elizabeth. Chie's is boring outside of her interactions with Akihiko. And Yukiko's is just plain boring.

Yeah they follow the same set of events up until near the end. At which point you fight each other. Judging from the fact that Aigis's route has the more serious post-battle events, it was probably intended to be the canonical outcome.

You're telling me you didn't like Lunchbox Adventures with Yukiko?

I think I skimmed through most of the P4 ones, which is probably why I can't remember all these differences between the routes.
They didn't take it far enough.

Yukiko should have caused The Fall with the sheer might and agony of her boxed lunches.

That's what the sequel's for. Yukiko's alternate route was quite obviously the true canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom