• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I preferred Apple head's link to Yumi's, gotta love cheering for the underdog.

Thought so, I'm still new to the series so I didn't know it was a running theme for those games too. I'm guessing from what I've heard Nyarlathotep is a similar entity to the final bosses of P3/4?

Too similar to be a coincidence if you ask me.

Necrovex

(Yumi SL spoiler):
Yumi could have done something with her life! She was on her way on becoming an Oscar-winning actress, but she threw it all away. I enjoyed her SL besides that fact.

And she does have a gigantic forehead.

Side note: Who here has seen Tokyo Godfathers, which is the best X-mas film in existence?

Ain't nothing wrong with a fivehead a little bangs can't fix.

They totally were, and it's a sign of the changing jrpg audience. Final Fantasy and to a lesser degree Dragon Quest all show this. It's all about the feeling of achievement and reward.

Pretty obvious to see that the early audiences were people who LIKED grinding and repetitive battles for the reward of stat levels up. The story and general gameplay/story segregation was pretty secondary to that gameplay aspect. Which was fine, it was 20 years ago.

Now, the audiences legitimately want to have more than that; the reward is the story, the characters, the spectacles of the flashy graphics, the love interests, etc. The SNES FFs and DQs were the first to experiment with this, and now almost 2 decades later, people want to be able to mix and match characters they like rather than just for pure stats.

The new Persona team has clearly realized this and developed a clever way to make the "reward" come from different angles. Instead of grinding away for 2 hours, you can flirt with girls or talk to friends. This doesn't mean the battles are removed totally, but it means there's diversity and less dependance on it since you can get that reward another way.

To be blunt: Modern Jrpgs are aimed to have an audience wider than people who had the spare time to grind away for hours.

Tangentially, I am playing Persona 1 for the first time after playing 3, 4 and 2. It's not fun. It's a chore. Random battles are a relic, and the encounter rate is absurdly high. The characters are pretty boring and, frankly, the writing is too. It shows its age from when it was made, when this was the norm for jrpgs and players accepted it.

I don't think they were "aware of this" (Atlus was and largely still is a Gen 6 company design-wise, they look to fix problems not to find a problem for a solution), but the end result is the same. Tales of Graces f does something similar, there's more reward yes, but FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more importantly it's useful and meaningful without being wildy overpowering from the get-go (or the few OP ways easily gotten or even pointed out). This is something Golden got wrong, it just kept shoveling Reward on till it was hard to even keep it from breaking itself.

Random battles are not a relic, they are a misused tool. Restrictions are the source of strength, natch.

FF VI is still easily playable to this day (as in, its battle system is still fun), the encounter rate is more sane and you don't have to deal with creating new things to fight for you every now and then. Doesn't matter if the story of P1 & 2 is better, I know it is at the very least with the P2 duology, it's the gameplay that kills it, and you know it. Badly-designed dungeons, terrible encounter rate (a reason why I still haven't finished Skies of Arcadia to this day, though I've heard that the encounter rate is more sane in the GCN version is better. I'll track down a copy of it together with a GC controller and an MC later... and sorry, I know this is a thing for another thread xD), somewhat clunky interface, no minimap to even help dealing with the dungeons, etc etc etc.

You are willing to overlook way too much its faults, tbh, but you played it before you played the more modern games, I betcha, so that's why you take that stance. It's just too hard, for me at least, and I'm not hoping that someone else backs me up on this, to just brave the first few hours until it gets better, or at least until you're actually willing to play just for the story

As I've said before, though, I WILL still try to play it after I finish with my current multimedia backlog. I just hope to not give up like before. If I do, I'll just watch an LP and call it a day.

Also, just don't take all the things that I've said personal, since I know how it feels to get one of the games you love to death to get shot down for whatever reason someone gives you. I'm just trying to answer your question, even if you don't really feel this way too.

Here, read this. It's why you and Jax can't grok with mazey high-battle gen 4/5 JRPGs and I have real trouble with isometric WRPGs of the 90s.

Sophia

Anyone else able to get into IRC chat? My connection to irc.globalgamers.net is timing out.

Globalgamers is down entirely. Even their website's front page don't work. It's the first actual outage we've had. :\

Here, read this. It's why you and Jax can't grok with mazey high-battle gen 4/5 JRPGs and I have real trouble with isometric WRPGs of the 90s.

Has nothing to do with Persona 1 and Persona 2, which really are flawed games, specifically the user interface in the original incarnation.

cj_iwakura

I keep hoping Soul Hackers did well enough on 3DS that they would port over that EP remake to 3DS and actually put it out over here.

Or at least a SMT 2 remake. But now with the whole fiasco with Index, who the fuck knows. We'll be lucky if the PS2 SMT/spinoffs ever show up on PSN Classics at this point.

An SMT1 & 2 Origins dualogy for the 3DS would be genius as a hype builder for SMT IV. Which is why it won't happen.

Marche90

^ I still haven't played it. I'm waiting to get my PS3 during christmas. PS4 whenever I can afford one T_T (prob next year, I should be working by then). It will be hard to stay unspoiled. I haven't spoiled many things this time around, thankfully, only that the ending isn't exactly a happy one because of the reason you know why. I always have this bad habit of picking up spoilers for my games. I need to work on that.

I doubt that many people go for the Chaos or Law endings for their first playthrough, actually. I know I don't; I always pick Neutral during my first playthrough in all the SMT games.

Death at the Yumi drag. I was interested in her story though.

Anyway, finished the game, 7/10. Kinda ok, definitely not MC 90+.

P4 ENDING SPOILERS

I knew that annoying kid would be the last victim since the first kidnapping, I felt bad for whoever wrote the scenario.

The killer was a surprise, but not in a good way... seriously, Adachi? Boring, and his motives and cringe worthy. Through the game I thought the killer was my Shadow or maybe the gas station attendant. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I'm serious.

Oh and Yukiko anime looks a damn mess.

Meia

P4 ENDING SPOILERS

I knew that annoying kid would be the last victim since the first kidnapping, I felt bad for whoever wrote the scenario.

The killer was a surprise, but not in a good way... seriously, Adachi? Boring, and his motives and cringe worthy. Through the game I thought the killer was my Shadow or maybe the gas station attendant. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol I'm serious.

So I take it you didn't see a dungeon in March then? :)

Marche90

Uh... you're missing quite a chunk of content, actually. Go back to that save and try some stuff before considering the game done

You thought Nanako was annoying?

mobwives-rg-drinking.gif

She was one of my favourites parts of the game :(

Trigger

P4 ENDING SPOILERS

Go get dat True Ending too.

She was one of my favourites parts of the game :(

Late game spoilers:
The house becomes so empty without her "Welcome Back!" greetings. :,(

Meia

What the fuck the game is not over? >.>

What do I have to do to get this March dungeon?
Careful with spoilers please.

Talk to all of your Social Links, you're given the option to go home, keep saying "I'm not ready yet." or something along those lines. May have to do this in Junes actually...

jaxword

What the fuck the game is not over? >.>

What do I have to do to get this March dungeon?
Careful with spoilers please.

No spoilers, but one person's social link needs to be maxed. This person's history and story are very important to the mystery. Try and work out who that is.

Marche90

Huh...? If you're talking about who I think it is, iirc he's playing the vanilla version of P4, so they don't appear there.

To get to that dungeon:

Talk to all your MAXED social links, and when you're done it will give you a choice. Don't go back home
-Go back to Junes and examine the elevator. Don't go home yet
-Use the eleavtor. After that, pick the choice that says "I still have unfinished matters"
-Go to Samegawa plain and the riverbank. Talk to Nanako and Dojima
-Talk to the gas station attendant

Trigger

No spoilers, but one person's social link needs to be maxed. This person's history and story are very important to the mystery. Try and work out who that is.

Wrong month.

That dungeon is in Feb. The March dungeon would be the true ending route.

Marche90

I posted how to get the ending, check back my other post.

Yeah, getting that ending is something that most people misses on their first playthrough.

Lunar15

That hidden ending is honestly one of the few major problems I have with the game. I heard they made it a little more obvious in The Golden, though.

Trigger

Bless Sammy. I can't wait to hear your impressions of the true finale. ;)

That hidden ending is honestly one of the few major problems I have with the game. I heard they made it a little more obvious in The Golden, though.

It is:
In Golden you just have to visit Junes one last time vs the confusing "Are you sure you're ready to go *wink wink*

Meia

Hearing this makes me wanna check out the PS2 footage to see how different it is compared to Golden.

IIRC,
you talk to Dojima after talking to everyone Slink wise, and he asks are you ready to go home, that's when you have to first say "I'm not ready yet" or something along those lines. Then you go to Junes and are given the lines from Golden. I think it's just that extra step.

Young Magus

IIRC,
you talk to Dojima after talking to everyone Slink wise, and he asks are you ready to go home, that's when you have to first say "I'm not ready yet" or something along those lines. Then you go to Junes and are given the lines from Golden. I think it's just that extra step.

It seems like the choice options also change, because not once
did "I'm not done yet" appear in any choice in Golden.

Globalgamers is down entirely. Even their website's front page don't work. It's the first actual outage we've had. :\

Has nothing to do with Persona 1 and Persona 2, which really are flawed games, specifically the user interface in the original incarnation.

I don't think there's anything particularly virtuous about delegating the explanation of a game's systems to an external document.

It wasn't about quality, it's about experience and familiarity with a form and goals. When JRPGs hit computers in the late nineties, the same thing happened. I find this sort of thing fascinating as I'm one of those "novelty junkies" in gaming.

And there's nothing particularly virtuous about ignoring provided help and struggling because of it either! :p

Not really....BTW your avatar really goes with the post I must say.

It's a great avatar for a lot of posts.

Taruranto

I couldn't even image the game without her!

I'm not sure any RPG series gets more backlash put against the older games than Persona. Final Fantasy VI is still widely regarded as a classic, yet Persona 1 & 2 are considered nigh unplayable. Go figure.

It's easy, compared to FFVII, FFVI has similar mechanics. When the audience that enjoyed and started with P3-4 goes back and plays P1-2 they find games with different mechanics and scope.

P2EP > P2 IS > P4 > P1 > P3

I'll never understand how an hardcore fan of Megaten like you budda can enjoy P3 over 4. I mean, they are similar, but atmosphere and plot-wise P3 feels like a SMT, P4 looks like it came straight out from a Tales of.

What makes Abyss so bad? I've enjoyed it so far, and heard nothing but good things outside of this thread.

I don't it's bad, but it's easy to dislike it because of the incredible amount of backtracking in the second half. Also the writing is really forced or stupid a lot of times, more than usual for a Tales of.
I'm talking about Akzeriuth, shit made no sense.
Overall it's a pretty decent 3d Tales, though Symphonia is better in every department.

I'll never understand how an hardcore fan of Megaten like you budda can enjoy P3 over 4. I mean, they are similar, but atmosphere and plot-wise P3 feels like a SMT, P4 looks like it came straight out from a Tales of.
Yea, odd huh. I felt though that P3 was....I guess "try hard" in a way, and P4 was just doing its own thing. P4 has its own issues, some quite bad, plot wise. As a whole though, I think its just a better game than P3. I just wish they didn't remove some of the more "hardcore" aspects of P3, such as the status effects, the 3 phys types, the more punishing One More system, the rogue-like elements in dungeons, such as the random events that happened in floors at Tartarus in p3 once and a while, among other things.

I kind of hope P5 can be a mix of the good things of every game in the series, 1/2/3/4, but we all know that most likely wont happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom