• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
TLOU is pretty goddamn good, yeah.

What do you guys think are the PS1 RPGs that have aged the best? I'm looking to get something off PSN...

I just beat TLoU. I'm not sure whether it's my GOTY or not, but it was a gorram fine game, and Joel is my favourite character in a long while.

My favourite part of the game was
the boss battle against David at the end of Winter. I loved how not only did it act as a final exam for your stealth and movement skills, but that David dynamically got more and more serious/desperate as the battle went on, going from gloating and strolling around with his head up to being a crazy silent ninja who crouch-runs around like a cannibalistic Solid Snake.

I wasn't too fond of the last part of the game though; I felt as though the game didn't provide enough tools/warning, meaning that I went into it with low health and ammo and no medkits/bombs. It was frustrating because I tried innumerable times to play it like it was meant to be played and stealth through the hallway using bricks and bottles to distract the soldiers, but I ended up getting mad and just running towards the objective flamethrowering/shotgunning anyone in my path. The plot's ending was great though, and I really love how complex and morally grey Joel's character is compared to most heroes in gaming nowadays.

Overall, I'd give it a final score of 9/10. It was extremely polished and well-made, but a few noticeable imperfections and annoyances hold it back from getting a perfect grade.

jaxword

There's a Square-Enix store in Tokyo. I'll be heading there when I visit next month. Lots of great S-E things there.

Anyone know if there's a Persona-themed store? If there is, I'll be heading there and will take pics for y'all.

rJLsKAL.jpg

cjkeats

Lotus Juice just posted this on his Facebook fan page.
LJ said:
and of course now we are focusing on 13th of August. Thanks to all the Persona fans all tickets have been sold out (so fast). I heard they are thinking about making more seats for those who slipped out, not great seats tho, I guess it's better than not being able to see it live.

And I am writing lyrics for this particular song from this project as I write this. I can't say what it is for, but all I gotta say is that ppl in this fan club will most likely look forward to hearing it.

It's probably not Persona 5.
But what if it is?
lol
The next Persona Music live is August 13th, maybe we'll get a tease there?
iiam.gif

Either way, a reminder: Lotus Juice has some awesome solo music that's well worth checking out!

Dantis

Lotus Juice just posted this on his Facebook fan page.

It's probably not Persona 5.
But what if it is?
lol
The next Persona Music live is August 13th, maybe we'll get a tease there?
iiam.gif

Either way, a reminder: Lotus Juice has some awesome solo music that's well worth checking out!

It's most likely the P3 movie, I think, but I'm still hyped.

What a cool guy.

PK Gaming

I imagine Breath of Fire 4 has probably aged pretty well. At the very least, the sprite work is still gorgeous.

I never said that, so it's not hard for me to disagree. ;)

Oh perfect timing, I want to branch out after finishing Persona and try out new RPG titles. Are the BoF series played in chronological order, or is it a Final Fantasy type thing where they're loosely related.

Meia

It's most likely the P3 movie, I think, but I'm still hyped.

What a cool guy.

Also my guess.

And Star Ocean 2 holds up really well in terms of PSX era RPGs. It's also the last good Star Ocean game. :(

And Private Actions = Social Links before Social Links were Social Links. :)

Young Magus

Oh perfect timing, I want to branch out after finishing Persona and try out new RPG titles. Are the BoF series played in chronological order, or is it a Final Fantasy type thing where they're loosely related.

IIRC only 1&2 are connected, and even then its somewhat loose. 3 and 4 are stand outs I believe.

EDIT: First 2 Star Ocean games are pretty good
I wish they were on PSN playable on Vita ;__;
. As is Grandia, Lunar and the Chrono series.

Necrovex

TLOU is pretty goddamn good, yeah.

What do you guys think are the PS1 RPGs that have aged the best? I'm looking to get something off PSN...

I say get Xenogear. I still need to play it, but it is considered the best game in the Xeno franchise (and that franchise is purely magical).

Dantis

Not even remotely related. You're good starting on 4.

PK Gaming

Whew... I finally cleared the Sumuru TV station. Massive dungeons + with random encounters + constant backtracking = massive pain in the ass. Fortunately I got estoma via a mutation (lucky me) and now I don't have to worry about random encounters.

The plot of P2:EP is really starting to pick up. It was nice to see
Lisa Silverman again and the Protagonist from P1. Poor elly, that sorceress has no right to mess with her like that...
One thing that Persona 2 does really well is set up great villains. There's a bunch of them, and since most of them are human you can actually understand their motivations and desire. They're very hate-able, haha.

Can't wait to finish this game, I gotta know how it ends.

Not even remotely related. You're good starting on 4.

Excellent, i'll dive right in!

Meia

Well, I got one ending in 999.

Said aw hell nah, and started again immediately. Yeesh.

Clover + axe = ouch

Meia

You'll never look at her the same way again.

The worst was seeing it coming a mile away after solving the last puzzle. Was a traffic accident you saw coming but was powerless to stop.

Still nice suckerpunch of her killing you even when she didn't really have to. Oof.

Still leads questions then. She wasn't purely good, she was 4, "brother" was 2. So given that, her "accomplice" would have to be June in the first place. Probable, but Clover could have just snapped with her "brother's" death anyway. Hence me jumping immediately back in. :p

cj_iwakura

Oh DemiKids, even a cutesy SMT is grimdark.

Demon shows up, your friend gets in its way, your friend is immediately killed. Cue devil summoning!

Trigger

The worst was seeing it coming a mile away after solving the last puzzle. Was a traffic accident you saw coming but was powerless to stop.

Still nice suckerpunch of her killing you even when she didn't really have to. Oof.

Still leads questions then. She wasn't purely good, she was 4, "brother" was 2. So given that, her "accomplice" would have to be June in the first place. Probable, but Clover could have just snapped with her "brother's" death anyway. Hence me jumping immediately back in. :p

Reach out for the truth!!

Meia

It's also what ruined Lost for me!

If the path is similar, almost done with another ending, last puzzle room maybe.

Ok, why the SHIT am I magnet for bad endings?

Backstabbed, and can't even find out WHO did it? Soaskidnfaoisnfaosgnfaosgnasdfj

Ok, theory. I could say it was Clover again, but that would be boring. More interesting was who was in the coffin(if that's what part of that was supposed to mean), and in this case, I'm going to guess Snake.

*starts again*

PK Gaming

Ugh tell me about it. I'm probably the only person on the planet who despises that ending.

Hahahaha real funny, Clover is basically a horrible human being! So funny.

Grab you one of those non-spoiler ending flowcharts. It's like P4 that way but harsher.

Ugh tell me about it. I'm probably the only person on the planet who despises that ending.

Hahahaha real funny, Clover is basically a horrible human being! So funny.

As if we didn't realize that on first sight!

PK Gaming

Grab you one of those non-spoiler ending flowcharts. It's like P4 that way but harsher.

As if we didn't realize that on first sight!
Clover was weird, but it didn't immediately occur to me that she murderous, backstabbing piece of human garbage. The only solace to that ending is the fact that she dies a slow agonizing death in that ending too (since she can't open the q door). She keeps these murderous tendencies in the sequel -.-

I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be comedic.

She's literally insane.

I'm not so subtly poking fun at the people who thought the ending was funny, like my brother!

jaxword

Most people here would probably go crazy if they were trapped on a sinking ship with several strangers, one of whom is a murderer.

Squire

Banned
I imagine Breath of Fire 4 has probably aged pretty well. At the very least, the sprite work is still gorgeous.

I've been assured that Grandia is still wonderful, and supports dual-stick controls, too.

I say get Xenogear. I still need to play it, but it is considered the best game in the Xeno franchise (and that franchise is purely magical).

Thanks guys. I'm weighing my options, but Xenografs was actually what sparked my interest, given the apparent thematic similarities with Prsona.

Young Magus

Thanks guys. I'm weighing my options, but Xenografs was actually what sparked my interest, given the apparent thematic similarities with Prsona.

Can't go wrong with Xenogears really :).
Grandia's pretty bitchin as well.

EDIT: Thanks to Buddha for helping me find the following:
tumblr_inline_mfxk622bve1r07cl6.png

tumblr_inline_mfxk6mdD1s1r07cl6.jpg

tumblr_inline_mfxk6ylxAu1r07cl6.png

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is Persona 4 worth playing if i can't play Persona 4 Golden? I still have my old ps2 laying around and could grab a copy to play, or is it worth waiting and eventually just grabbing a Vita to play P4G?

Dantis

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is Persona 4 worth playing if i can't play Persona 4 Golden? I still have my old ps2 laying around and could grab a copy to play, or is it worth waiting and eventually just grabbing a Vita to play P4G?

Play the PS2 one! It's still great even now. Most of what Golden added was minor conveniences and irrelevant side-content.

Levito

Banned

P4G is much higher res and looks sleaker.

P4G's the better game for sure but if you aren't keen on getting a Vita then just go for the PS2 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom