• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Fair enough. But keep in mind that Kanji didn't go in through Junes's TV and they should have figured that Kanji would tell them if he were leaving beforehand. I still think they would have jumped in to scout for him pretty quickly. It's not like they would be so stupid that the team would completely fall apart without Yu.

For what its worth, the person who's being the biggest dick to Kanji (that is, Yosuke) ends up getting his comeuppance later on in the game. It's hilarious and one of the few times where Narukami's anime personality shines through.

EMT0

Banned
but i was kidding, and what

Yukiko's story was a joke in the literal, haha we're trying to be cute kind of way, Kanji's story was a joke too, Yosuke, Chie, and Yu's story modes are interchangeable except you can throw in Velvet Room visits for Yu. Teddie's was good, Naoto's was great, the P3 cast's were good/great, Elizabeth's was solid, and I really liked Labrys. So, the plot relevant characters had good story modes. The ones that were kind of cookie cutter? Not so much.

But the characterization seemed really off to me in for some characters that they upped a part of their personality and made it the ONLY thing that they showed. Yosuke got turned into a fumbling homophobe, Yukiko can hardly be taken seriously, Akihiko ingests more protein than water, and Rise's only there to make mean remarks about Kanji.

And seriously. Kanji being the butt of all jokes got stepped up to notch eleven in Arena and IMO got a bit out of hand. Every time Rise and Kanji interacted, all she did was hurl backhanded insults. Everybody's nonchalant about Kanji being missing past the opening. In Teddie's story, Kanji hadn't shown up at the very end, and nobody gives a damn and outright say, 'Eh, he'll show up. Let's let him find us.' That and half the cast seems to call him gay at one point or another in Arena....which pisses him off. By my count, only Yu, Naoto, and Yukiko behaved like a friend to Kanji, and Yukiko makes the cut by virtue of having done nothing to Kanji at all in Arena.

I get that it's really condensed so that characterization is kept short, and I REALLY liked what they're setting up with the plot, but the characters came across very differently after I was fresh off beating Golden.

"Yosuke got turned into a fumbling homophobe"

I STILL DONT GET THIS.

He was less homophobic in P4A than he was in P4, and he's not even a homophobe in P4, just an idiot.

Yukiko I agree with, and Chie to an extent.

Caladrius

For what its worth, the person who's being the biggest dick to Kanji (that is, Yosuke) ends up getting his comeuppance later on in the game. It's hilarious and one of the few times where Narukami's anime personality shines through.

I wish I remembered more of the game. (the parts I mostly recall are the intro and the later stories that didn't have that much to do with the IT.)

I need to see this.

Sophia

I wish I remembered more of the game. (the parts I mostly recall are the intro and the later stories that didn't have that much to do with the IT.)

I need to see this.

I would link you to the exact scene, but the copyright troll got all the really high quality videos off YouTube that I was using. Drat. It's in Teddie's story mode I believe after you beat Shadow Labrys.

Caladrius

I would link you to the exact scene, but the copyright troll got all the really high quality videos off YouTube that I was using. Drat. It's in Teddie's story mode I believe after you beat Shadow Labrys.

Ah, thanks.

Muhahahahahahahaha

Also I just had an idea where a persona game has about 40 social link characters and some questions you answer/choices you make throughout the story influence which ones you get.

Never gonna happen but I just thought that would be cool.

EMT0

Banned
"Yosuke got turned into a fumbling homophobe"

I STILL DONT GET THIS.

He was less homophobic in P4A than he was in P4, and he's not even a homophobe in P4, just an idiot.

Yukiko I agree with, and Chie to an extent.

Yosuke never really came off as a homophobe in the negative sense to me(in Persona 4). Awkward and uncomfortable with the idea sure, but not hostile or hurtful. It came as more of a running joke with Kanji than any statement on Yosuke being an ass. But compared to 4, it feels like Yosuke got a solid number of pot shots at Kanji in a much more condensed space of time. Part of that feeling is probably due to the fact that some scenes overlap between story modes, but Yosuke seemed to bring it up out of nowhere, whereas in Persona 4 you could at least see his train of thought. So it comes across as more brash and needlessly antagonistic than comical.

Fair enough. But keep in mind that Kanji didn't go in through Junes's TV and they should have figured that Kanji would tell them if he were leaving beforehand. I still think they would have jumped in to scout for him pretty quickly. It's not like they would be so stupid that the team would completely fall apart without their lord and savior Yu.

Au contraire...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Heh...

AREyvHx.jpg

PK Gaming

Akihiko ingests more protein than water, and Rise's only there to make mean remarks about Kanji.

Concerns about P4A not accurately representing Akihiko get brought up all the time, but are they really true?

Akihiko has always been characterized as a person who is completely obsessed with gaining power. Everything, (and I mean everything) he does is for the express purpose of getting stronger or winning (he's extremely competitive). The reason he boxes isn't because he enjoys the sport, but because he wants to see how strong he can get. Arena retained this character trait, and actually drives the point home with the speech he makes at the beginning of his story. So if you're angry about Akihiko losing any sort of depth in Arena, you shouldn't be. He has always been a relatively straightforward character. (and that's honestly not a bad thing)

If you're angry about Arena making him dorky... well Arena isn't the first time where Akihiko has been painted as a socially awkward dude. The entire beach event pretty much paints him as a guy who hasn't got a clue how to interact with strangers (girls especially). I mean for god's sake, look at his swimming outfit and his justification for wearing it to a beach event. The subsequent command room recording basically reaffirms that. (Seriously give it a watch, it's hilarious). Then there's his entire social link with FeMC, where he does more of the same thing. (You spend a good half of the time eating meat with him and he goes on about training, etc) The P3 staff even comments on Akihiko being a comical character (he was envisioned as a "cool guy" but they couldn't help but put him into silly situations).

I think he actually grows as a person in Arena. He finally recognizes the importance of fear in a fight (whereas in P3, he was fighting without really thinking about. Whether he lived or die was actually irrelevant to him)

PS: I will concede that his whole fighting sabbatical was stupid. Nobody does that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's her.

I have to say though, the fetishization of that character is super creepy.

Yeah, what is she wearing? A wedding dress?

Thats really out of character for her. She doesn't wear dresses. Except for the maid cosplay and even then just doesn't want to pose for victories or anything.

We should have more badass Naoto. I went looking for pictures of her, you know, detecting things, Sherlock style, thats hard to find man. Instead, here are two cool pictures I found.

tumblr_mq0tjvoA621rbh0h1o1_500.jpg

tohx.jpg

It is cool to see her dressed as the person who she is inspired by, Raidou Kuzunoha, of SMT Devil Summoner fame, but I am still utterly baffled as to why she didn't get this as a bonus outfit in P4G.

and, a bonus, since I rarely post pictures of Persona 3, mostly 1 and 2 with some 4 on the side:

tumblr_msfiv20FcE1rtgl6lo1_500.jpg

And for good measure, one of my old favorites I posted a while ago. Needs more updated MC's SJ Man, Flynn, where art thou.

Squire

Banned
tohx.jpg

It is cool to see her dressed as the person who she is inspired by, Raidou Kuzunoha, of SMT Devil Summoner fame, but I am still utterly baffled as to why she didn't get this as a bonus outfit in P4G.

Completely agreed on both counts. Such a missed opportunity.

I still really want to play the Raidou games. I love his design, and I love detective stuff, and I love action-RPGs.

Completely agreed on both counts. Such a missed opportunity.

I still really want to play the Raidou games. I love his design, and I love detective stuff, and I love action-RPGs.

1's gameplay doesn't touch 2, but the story is better. 2 has the better gameplay by far, but something had to give, and that something is the story.

Awesome music too, but the battle theme for 1 >>>> the one for 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTuz15Sq8zc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3AgvfrDhEI

Jintor

Yeah, what is she wearing? A wedding dress?

Thats really out of character for her. She doesn't wear dresses. Except for the maid cosplay and even then just doesn't want to pose for victories or anything.

It's some kind of hangup about repressed femininity or whatever.

I don't know. I don't really see that in Naoto. Naoto is as Naoto is.

Sophia

Femininity does not have to mean shoving every character into the girliest outfit you can think of. :\

P4G's epilogue did a good job of showing Naoto being feminine without cramping up her style. In contrast to the Naoto novels and virtually 99% of all fanart.

Dantis

Yeah, it is. That's the same guy Jintor posted the other day. Naoto and Narukami are literally all he draws.

Dude is obsessed. (I say dude, it might be a girl for all I know)

kewlmyc

Femininity does not have to mean shoving every character into the girliest outfit you can think of. :\

P4G's epilogue did a good job of showing Naoto being feminine without cramping up her style. In contrast to the Naoto novels and virtually 99% of all fanart.

Haven't been keeping up with the Naoto novels. What's wrong with them other than the apparent fanservice.

Dantis

Haven't been keeping up with the Naoto novels. What's wrong with them other than the apparent fanservice.

'Apparent' fan service? :p

They're just garbage writing, other than that. It starts with Naoto being called up by Rise saying that it's a life and death emergency, and cuts to the next scene where she's been tricked into wearing a swimsuit for an idol photo-shoot. Which, by the way, makes no sense at all.

As far as fanart of Naoto looking feminine, I actually think it's kind of neat (In principle, at least. The execution is often poor). The cool thing about fanart is that it allows artists to completely break character and whatnot. Soejima isn't afforded that luxury because then the art becomes 'official'.

Sophia

They're glorified and commercialized fanfiction, pretty much. If you want actual character derailment, look no further.

As far as fanart of Naoto looking feminine, I actually think it's kind of neat (In principle, at least. The execution is often poor). The cool thing about fanart is that it allows artists to completely break character and whatnot. Soejima isn't afforded that luxury because then the art becomes 'official'.

The vast majority of fan artists have no sense of style, which is the big issue why feminine Naoto is often poor in execution. It's like total opposite of what you do. Even when you draw a character in crossover outfit, it still makes sense and has some degree of style to it.

Jintor

Personally that artist Dantis and I were talking about can goddamn draw though

jesus. I'd kill for that level of linework.

Specifically, I'd kill Dantis.

I'm kidding.

I might be rolling too deep with this joke ==;;

dkoy

I... I can only recognise 7 characters in that last pic D:

My sentiments exactly about fanart. If it's well drawn and the content isn't too weird or anything and stays somewhat faithful to the original work I can appreciate it.

So how do you guys find all the good fanart? I try and all I get is shipping and other weird
lewd
things :(

Dantis

Personally that artist Dantis and I were talking about can goddamn draw though

jesus. I'd kill for that level of linework.

Specifically, I'd kill Dantis.

I'm kidding.

I might be rolling too deep with this joke ==;;

He's really excellent, and a lot of his stuff is legitimately really cool. Weirdly, his colour stuff looks a little off though.

The vast majority of fan artists have no sense of style, which is the big issue why feminine Naoto is often poor in execution. It's like total opposite of what you do. Even when you draw a character in crossover outfit, it still makes sense and has some degree of style to it.

There's definitely a weirdness to a lot of it that I dislike.

Sophia

I... I can only recognise 7 characters in that last pic D:

I recognize almost all of them. There were two I had to look up, and one I still don't know. From Left to Right:

First Row:
Male Protagonist in Shin Megami Tensei If..., Devil Survivor 2 protagonist, Female Protagonist in Shin Megami Tensei If... (Tamaki Uchida)
Second Row:
Shin Megami Tensei 1 Protagonist, Shin Megami Tensei 2 Protagonist (Hawk/Aleph)
Third Row:
Devil Summoner Protagonist, Soul Hackers Protagonist.
Fourth Row:
P4 Protagonist (Yu Narukami), P1 Protagonist, P3 Protagonist (Makoto Yuuki), P2 Protagonist (Tatsuya Suou)
Fifth Row:
Digital Devil Saga Protagonist (Serph), Megami Tensei 1 Hero (Akemi Nakajima), Megami Tensei 1 Heroine (Yumiko Shirasagi), Megami Tensei 2 Protagonist.
Sixth Row:
Heroine of Maken X (Kei Sagami), Hero/Heroine of Shin Megami Tensei NINE (Kei Azuma), Not sure on the last one.
Seventh Row:
Protagonist of Devil Survivor, Raidou Kuzunoha
Last Row:
The Demi-Fiend.

Meia

Just noticed in the ensuing youtube chaos that russian "woman" caused the english Nevermore song that was linked a few days ago was one of the casualties. :\

Some details about Aigis I found while searching for info from the Official Design Works.

Her personality can be described as passive-aggressive, overly cautious, and dependent, which results in an inferiority complex and no sense of self worth. Aigis is easily overcome with anxiety and she will often overreact to this anxiety. She shows tendencies of self-destructive behavior, but at the same time will seek out safety. Believing that the value of her existence can only measured by how much people seem to care about her, she will often intentionally place herself in sadistic situations.

Interesting how they a) put an insane amount of detail into the character's behaviors, and b) basically had Aigis's entire plotline from Persona 4 Arena planned out all the way back at P3 FES. :p
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. But P4A? Which part came to mind? It's all there in P3 too.

Another important detail is: 'As an android, she is programmed to follow commands , but she recognizes that she lacks self-affirmation, and this leads to inner turmoil.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom