• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simzyy

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is Persona 4 worth playing if i can't play Persona 4 Golden? I still have my old ps2 laying around and could grab a copy to play, or is it worth waiting and eventually just grabbing a Vita to play P4G?

If you have a decent PC run Persona 4 on an emulator and turn up AA etc. Looks amazing

Astra

^Don't you need a beastly PC to run PS2 emulators?

Never tried it myself.

Nah, you just need a decent CPU really.
If you want to take advantage on enhancements such as AA and 4x resolutions, you need a good GPU. I have a 660ti and it handles 3x resolution just fine, but stutters on 4x.
Though that is with pcsx2. With Dolphin it handles 4x no problem.

Simzyy

Not sure on specifics (its pretty game dependent), but I'm pretty sure any gaming PC build in the last like 6 years or maybe more should be fine. If I remember correctly the CPU you are using is the most important aspect. Worth trying to see if your PC can handle it. I originally played it on PS2 but playing it again on PC is great due to enhanced visuals and having the ability to save wherever I want.

Meia

If you want to take advantage on enhancements such as AA and 4x resolutions, you need a good GPU. I have a 660ti and it handles 3x resolution just fine, but stutters on 4x.

I had thought emulators don't really use the GPU at all, mostly the CPU? May be hard to figure out from experience though, as people who have a great vid card probably already have a great CPU anyway. :p

At any rate when I go back to DDS or Nocturne, definitely using the PC as my PS2 died ages ago(had the original big model and the smaller model both die on me).

*starts 3rd playthrough of 999*

I'll say this about it, fast forwarding makes this fast, and it's not a long game anyway.

Meia

Guys what level should you ideally be at the bathhouse? My party is level 17ish and is getting owned badly.

By the time you finish the bathhouse you should be mid 20s. I think I was never below 17 when I first beat the castle. Then I always went through the old dungeon again once before I did the new one. The optional boss in the castle is the only one I could never beat before going through the new dungeon though(should be 22 or 23 for that monster).

Sigh, posted and not edit, fail. :\

Astra

I had thought emulators don't really use the GPU at all, mostly the CPU? May be hard to figure out from experience though, as people who have a great vid card probably already have a great CPU anyway. :p

At any rate when I go back to DDS or Nocturne, definitely using the PC as my PS2 died ages ago(had the original big model and the smaller model both die on me).

*starts 3rd playthrough of 999*

I'll say this about it, fast forwarding makes this fast, and it's not a long game anyway.

The GPU is only used for the enhancements.
You only need a CPU to run the emulator, you just can't take advantage of the increased resolution and hardware enhancements like AA.

Fast forwarding through text you have already read is the best thing ever for such a game.

Sophia

^Don't you need a beastly PC to run PS2 emulators?

Never tried it myself.

you need a decent CPU to run it, and a decent GPU for graphical settings. Nothing special tho, even a cheap $500 PC can do PCSX2 emulation nowadays with speedhacks.

Refyref

I have no issues running Persona 3&4 with whatever AA I want. (Although my PC isn't a good example for a cheap PC)
However, a word of warning. If you enable hardware hacks on the Persona games, which is how AA is added in PCSX2, the shadows in the games get all sorts of messed up. (And no, you don't need to reply how shadows in this game are messed up already. :p)

EDIT: However, using FXAA doesn't break the shadows. The downside is that FXAA isn't as good as MSAA.

Omikaru

Persona 3 & 4 are two of the better PS2 games to emulate with PCSX2. I could run both of them really well on my older PC (Core2Quad Q6600, 6gb RAM, ATi Radeon 4870X2), and pretty much perfectly on my current system (Core i5 2500K, 8gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti).

There are a lot of games that require beasts to run, but I find that PCSX2 works well enough with any quad core processor, especially with the Persona games. There are even widescreen patches to make the game work on 16:9 monitors with the correct FOV.

Refyref

Persona 3 & 4 are two of the better PS2 games to emulate with PCSX2. I could run both of them really well on my older PC (Core2Quad Q6600, 6gb RAM, ATi Radeon 4870X2), and pretty much perfectly on my current system (Core i5 2500K, 8gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti).

There are a lot of games that require beasts to run, but I find that PCSX2 works well enough with any quad core processor, especially with the Persona games. There are even widescreen patches to make the game work on 16:9 monitors with the correct FOV.

It scales with how taxing on the PS2 itself the games are, I think. Things like Persona run fine on many systems, while thing like Shadow of the Colossus can bring down any system to its knees if you have enhancements on.

Just a note to people applying the Persona 4 16:9 patch, there are quite a few scripting issues with characters getting stuck on the edges of the screen, which you wouldn't have saw if the game runs at 4:3. Nothing jarring, but might annoy some people. (Weirdly enough, doesn't happen much in 3.)

Marche90

Persona 4 runs quite well on PCSX2

How well?: I recorded this a few years ago, in a laptop with a Pentium Dual Core @ 2 ghz and an Intel GMA 4500:

Spoilers for the last boss

Slow in some parts? Sure, but remember, this was 2008-era low end technology.

Also, remembered something: It stills annoys me that I lost all types of access to this account. It's the reason why the description is kinda iffy (couldn't edit anything) and there's no sound

cj_iwakura

Would there be any interest in seeing SMT Devil Children Black/Red in action? I recorded some Rhapsody 2 since it was free on the J-PSN, and I can always record some old-school DemiKids while I'm at it.

jaxword

Play the PS2 one! It's still great even now. Most of what Golden added was minor conveniences and irrelevant side-content.

Pn7fewG.jpg

Squire

Banned
I want to smack whoever decided to give us her instead of (ending spoilers)
the gas station attendant Izanami.

The great thing about that is it's right under your nose. It seems like a perfectly normal element of town and you're given no reason to suspect it holds significance. If you call that kind of attention to it, the surprise remains, but it's softened.

cj_iwakura

The great thing about that is it's right under your nose. It seems like a perfectly normal element of town and you're given no reason to suspect it holds significance. If you call that kind of attention to it, the surprise remains, but it's softened.

Such a great character has far too little screentime. Or involvement period.

Squire

Banned
Such a great character has far too little screentime. Or involvement period.

I don't disagree. Still though, the biggest thing S.Links do is let you empathize with the characters.
The fact you don't get that with Izanami is part of what makes her sinister. She's a monster.

And let's be honest, it wasn't even that great of a twist anyway.

I think it's pretty big. I mean, did you have even the slightest inkling it was coming?

Meia

I think it's pretty big. I mean, did you have even the slightest inkling it was coming?

Did I? No, but it was kind of the problem.
It comes completely out of left field. I like the little touches along the way, that she was only visible in Inaba on days it rained, but ultimately she never felt sinister or monster-like to me. She was just a god-like being hanging around in Inaba and she was bored. Adding her as a link after adding Adachi would have been too on the nose, so it really shouldn't have happened, and I'm glad it didn't.

I even get that most of the new stuff added with Golden(with Marie in particular) was supposed to add something to Izanami as a villain, and it somewhat did. But Marie herself was handled very poorly to begin with. If I cared as much about her as I did for the other party members or Nanako, everything with her would have had more impact, especially with Izanami.

But it didn't work out that way because it would have required more work than they were willing to do I think. What could they have done? Not shackled her to the Velvet Room the whole time. Make her "live" in the room, but make her go to school, or be an active member of the investigation so we form some attachment to her. But that would require more effort that they weren't willing to put in I guess.

jaxword

For no reason, I'll bring up Edogawa's story about how Japan was formed.

35pbFbS.jpg

It's a neat lecture, no real relevance to the story.

Sophia

Izanami being the antagonist and the woman behind the man was hinted at pretty heavily throughout the game, most noticeably by Edogawa during the field trip. Now Izanami being the Gas Station attendant came right the fuck out of left field. No warning, no indication at all unless you were paying extremely close attention from the word go, continued to pay attention, and knew the myth well enough. I honestly don't know how they expected anyone to find that.

Squire

Banned
Izanami being the antagonist and the woman behind the man was hinted at pretty heavily throughout the game, most noticeably by Edogawa during the field trip. Now Izanami being the Gas Station attendant came right the fuck out of left field. No warning, no indication at all unless you were paying extremely close attention from the word go, continued to pay attention, and knew the myth well enough. I honestly don't know how they expected anyone to find that.

The latter is what I'm getting at.

It's a pretty big twist.

Meia

Yeah,
had no problems really with Izanami being a big bad, just that she's been this nondescript NPC you see once in awhile since minute one. It's not much different than if it was the random housewife outside the Dojima's that would give you bait every day.

I also fully beat 999.

What in the HELL?!

Meia

Excellent.

Is VLR an actual sequel? I know nothing of that game, but if it is, and since I have it for free with PS+, then I kind of have to do that next now.

BTW, about Edogawa(P3 and P4 spoilz)
I'm still wholly convinced he's a player in the overall story somehow. No way you have one character in two different games set in two different towns drop stories that are seemingly unrelated to the story but wind up having a big significance later.

cjkeats

Is VLR an actual sequel? I know nothing of that game, but if it is, and since I have it for free with PS+, then I kind of have to do that next now.

It is indeed a direct sequel. Kinda. I recommend diving right in. If your brain isn't mush already.

Jintor

tbh they always should have had him.
as one of the few people in the game you don't have a social link with at all, he's far too easy to suspect in vanilla p4

I really hope they play with that kind of thing in P5. no mechanics spoilers.

Dantis

Great design, terrible character.

They should have made her a party member that you rescue in like July, and then they could have had her interactions be much more significant as she would have been present in every story scene after that.

If they'd have done that, and to compensate, cut out all the other new scenes, I'd be completely happy. I don't feel like anything except for the new epilogue was at all worthwhile.

Dantis

Winter was also great. When I said 'other scenes', I meant the event scenes, like the beach, the fireworks, new year's whateveritwas etc.

Those can all go.

You know what can't go? Snowflakes.

Omikaru

Winter was also great. When I said 'other scenes', I meant the event scenes, like the beach, the fireworks, new year's whateveritwas etc.

Those can all go.

You know what can't go? Snowflakes.

Bleh. Most of them were inoffensive, some of them actually quite neat and/or funny. The only scenes I feel that detracted from the game, rather than being either just there to no gain or loss, or a net gain, were the band bits, and the pointless FMV after the bonus dungeon. Those two were pretty blegh, and one of them is a completely optional extra on top of a rather unremarkable dungeon, unlocked by completing the blandest social link in the game.

And people can't even complain about content bloat in P4G. P4 was pretty bloated with content as it is, and the extra stuff doesn't make it seem more bloated in any way.

Dantis

Bleh. Most of them were inoffensive, some of them actually quite neat and/or funny. The only scenes I feel that detracted from the game, rather than being either just there to no gain or loss, or a net gain, were the band bits, and the pointless FMV after the bonus dungeon. Those two were pretty blegh, and one of them is a completely optional extra on top of a rather unremarkable dungeon, unlocked by completing the blandest social link in the game.

And people can't even complain about content bloat in P4G. P4 was pretty bloated with content as it is, and the extra stuff doesn't make it seem more bloated in any way.

Most of them were inoffensive, I agree, but if the choice was to drop those in favour of making something actually relevant (Like a fully featured new party member), then I'd be all for it.

Meia

Most of them were inoffensive, I agree, but if the choice was to drop those in favour of making something actually relevant (Like a fully featured new party member), then I'd be all for it.

Honestly, I was most excited for Golden when I thought this was the actual case, that she'd be a party member. Was wondering many things, like what her persona would be, what her shadow would be like, what weapon would she wield, stuff like that.

I don't mind the few new scenes added before Winter. All they needed to do was put her in some actual story scenes and it would have been fine.
Hell, she's one of the only people that never meets Nanako. Having her meet her, fall in love with her like everyone else did, and have her freak the hell out in November too would have gone a long way in garnering her sympathy later. But that would require lightly rewriting some scenes that were in Vanilla, and they weren't willing to do it.

Jintor

One of the minor things they added was that when you'd randomly go to Junes with nanako and dojima you'd happen across a random conversation between your party members hanging out without you. It was always entertaining.

The one with kanji musing over how he kind of kept his punk look out of habit apart from anything else with yukiko was really amusing to me, since they never really hang out much.

One of the minor things they added was that when you'd randomly go to Junes with nanako and dojima you'd happen across a random conversation between your party members hanging out without you. It was always entertaining.

The one with kanji musing over how he kind of kept his punk look out of habit apart from anything else with yukiko was really amusing to me, since they never really hang out much.

I love those, also the one with Kanji and Yosuke hanging out and the one with the girls hanging out

Refyref

Weird that there's not a thread in Gaming about it. It's a pretty vague statement, but I guess something behind the scenes must have happened for Atlus to get out of the danger zone and be confident that their brand would live on.

They specifically mention Atlus, so I wonder if Index is still involved or not.

Probably because that's more or less what they said when Index went bankrupt. Ergo, there already is a thread on this is gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom