• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

That's what people told me when Vivendi Universal bought Blizzard....a-and now...

sudden+realization+_dc5a14c7f4a13b8035a317f32beeaf61.gif

Squire

Banned
I can't believe the Nintendo stupidity is still going on, though I shouldn't be surprised. There was always going to be a grip of people still desperately ongoing to the argument even the sale was made.

I wonder how long it will be before the thread is locked.

Levito

Banned
Unless SEGA Sammy starts merging Atlus and SEGA together it'll probably be fine. SEGa publishes a lot of western games like the Total War series and they haven't ruined Creative Assembly.

Granted, SEGA doesn't actually own Creative Assembly. But still, who cares. No use freaking out over this right now.

Hey maybe they can finally FUCKING ANNOUNCE PERSONA 5.

Haha, Persona 5 is now Shenmue 3.

Lunar15

I can't believe the Nintendo stupidity is still going on, though I shouldn't be surprised. There was always going to be a grip of people still desperately ongoing to the argument even the sale was made.

I wonder how long it will be before the thread is locked.

Why are people even arguing on the other side? That's what bothers me. Whole thing's irrelevant.

Squire

Banned
Unless SEGA Sammy starts merging Atlus and SEGA together it'll probably be fine. SEGa publishes a lot of western games like the Total War series and they haven't ruined Creative Assembly.

Granted, SEGA doesn't actually own Creative Assembly. But still, who cares. No use freaking out over this right now.

Hey maybe they can finally FUCKING ANNOUNCE PERSONA 5.

Haha, Persona 5 is now Shenmue 3.

This. If they're not merged into Sega there's no reason to assume they'll adopt Sega's business practices.

Why are people even arguing on the other side? That's what bothers me. Whole thing's irrelevant.

Yeah, it's over. Everyone should just let it go.

dkoy

You all seem very reasonable and level-headed. Why do you have a bad reputation on GAF? (or so I heard Dantis say a few pages back)

Levito

Banned
I would actually quite enjoy seeing the "PERSONA 5 ON 3DS CONFIRMED CAUSE SEGA LOVES THE 3DS" port begging pleebs be thrown into a fucking Rancor pit.

Caladrius

This. If they're not merged into Sega there's no reason to assume they'll adopt Sega's business practices.

Yeah, it's over. Everyone should just let it go.

I'm admittedly not knowledgeable about what kind of relationship holdings companies have with their purchases, but do we actually know how much influence SS has on SEGA?

And this is the internet, stupid arguments will last until the end of the world.

Jintor

You all seem very reasonable and level-headed. Why do you have a bad reputation on GAF? (or so I heard Dantis say a few pages back)

Because we tend to get confused with the Ice Cream contingent and also occasionally we post fanart and express our love for waifus (or husbandos)

Sophia

Because the amount of people who are a part of our community is fairly small. People are frequently mistaken for being regulars just for having a Persona themed avatar, even if they never post in this thread at all. :\

Lunar15

The people in this thread are by and large legit. Very very laid back people. I think the bad reputation comes from when you get a thread on the main board and a ton of really passionate persona fans come out of the woodwork and act really hyper and sometimes post a lot of anime gifs.

Also, most of the bad reputation is greatly exaggerated for comedic effect. The joke is that really, you could say the same for any "community" on GAF. They're all a bunch of nutters!

There is a dark side though:
Yosuke vs. Junpei debates.

I saw a deal for Persona 4 Golden for $14.99 cents today. But I don't have a Vita.

I'm interested in the new PS Vita model, that will launch with cheaper memory cards supposedly. But I would want the OG Vita's OLED scree.

I really like SMT IV and bought Persona 3 FES on PSN. But if I bought more games, it would just add onto my giant backlog, along with ToV:pS3, Fire Emblem: Awakening, TotA, as well as those I've already mentioned.

The deal is gone now, but I have been wondering if I should spring on one eventually. I'm currently trying to save money for PS4/Vita/Wii U, any opinions on what I should be aiming for? Is P4G really worth buying a Vita for? I don't have a PS2, and buying the Walking Dead Bundle nets me a 4GB card, essentially nullifying the new PS Vita's one major plus, it's 1GB internal memory. Should I secure an OG Vita now? Does anyone here think the Vita will pick up the pace like the 3DS did, or is it doomed to niche titles?

Edit:

Because we tend to get confused with the Ice Cream contingent and also occasionally we post fanart and express our love for waifus (or husbandos)

I shorten "husbandos" to "habus", it seems like much more natural engrish.

Jintor

I'm using it to play through PSP/PS1/other games I've missed over the years.

And P4G alone ate up like 180 hours so that was pretty good

Squire

Banned
I'm admittedly not knowledgeable about what kind of relationship holdings companies have with their purchases, but do we actually know how much influence SS has on SEGA?

And this is the internet, stupid arguments will last until the end of the world.

I think they have as much influence on them as any corporation does a subsidiary. I think Sega operates mostly autonomously, but we know from financial reports there was a time when SS cracked down on them, and rightfully so. They were bringing good things to market like PG's first few games and Yakuza, but they didn't market them and they bombed.

So, we've seen SS exert control over Sega. They bought Index, so I assume they know what they're getting themselves into and have set expectations accordingly.

I said before I wanted Sega to buy them, so I'm convinced they'll be fine.

I would actually quite enjoy seeing the "PERSONA 5 ON 3DS CONFIRMED CAUSE SEGA LOVES THE 3DS" port begging pleebs be thrown into a fucking Rancor pit.

Sega doesn't fuck with 3DS at all actually, they show the vita waaaayyy more love. Vita gets non chibi miku and phantasy star while 3ds gets game gear classics.

Caladrius

I think they have as much influence on them as any corporation does a subsidiary. I think Sega operates mostly autonomously, but we know from financial reports there was a time when SS cracked down on them, and rightfully so. They were bringing good things to market like PG's first few games and Yakuza, but they didn't market them and they bombed.

So, we've seen SS exert control over Sega. They bought Index, so I assume they know what they're getting themselves into and have set expectations accordingly.

I said before I wanted Sega to buy them, so I'm convinced they'll be fine.

That is somewhat reassuring. I'm still very guarded about all of this though. Hearing of enough post-purchase disasters has not provided me with good expectations.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I saw a deal for Persona 4 Golden for $14.99 cents today. But I don't have a Vita.

I'm interested in the new PS Vita model, that will launch with cheaper memory cards supposedly. But I would want the OG Vita's OLED scree.

I really like SMT IV and bought Persona 3 FES on PSN. But if I bought more games, it would just add onto my giant backlog, along with ToV:pS3, Fire Emblem: Awakening, TotA, as well as those I've already mentioned.

The deal is gone now, but I have been wondering if I should spring on one eventually. I'm currently trying to save money for PS4/Vita/Wii U, any opinions on what I should be aiming for? Is P4G really worth buying a Vita for? I don't have a PS2, and buying the Walking Dead Bundle nets me a 4GB card, essentially nullifying the new PS Vita's one major plus, it's 1GB internal memory. Should I secure an OG Vita now? Does anyone here think the Vita will pick up the pace like the 3DS did, or is it doomed to niche titles?
Don't sweat picking up an OG Vita. The OLED is not good.

Here are the reasons people are so vocal about the OLED screen:

1) It's new tech.
2) It's really eye catching, but in a bad way if you know enough about display tech. The Vita uses a low-end OLED which produces in an over-saturated, cold (color temperature) manner. This is similar to the way TVs are displayed in electronics stores except you can't turn it off.
3.) The black levels are genuinely good and a departure from what people are used to seeing on LCDs.

Unfortunately, the LCD will be equally as low-end but with the flaws of LCD, so I can't recommend that either. The only positive that will come is that it'll have more longevity than the OLED which has random screen defects and reverse burn-in issues out the ass. It's immature tech.

Thankfully, Sony has a great solution for those who wish to escape from the handheld screen ghetto: the Vita TV. I'd get that unless you really really want a portable Vita -- it's cheaper and it'll go nicely with your PS4. It'd also go nicely with a good Plasma TV.

dkoy

I have absolutely no clue what the Ice Cream contingent is but it sounds tasty.

Because the amount of people who are a part of our community is fairly small. People are frequently mistaken for being regulars just for having a Persona themed avatar, even if they never post in this thread at all. :\

The people in this thread are by and large legit. Very very laid back people. I think the bad reputation comes from when you get a thread on the main board and a ton of really passionate persona fans come out of the woodwork and act really hyper and sometimes post a lot of anime gifs.

Also, most of the bad reputation is greatly exaggerated for comedic effect. The joke is that really, you could say the same for any "community" on GAF. They're all a bunch of nutters!

There is a dark side though:
Yosuke vs. Junpei debates.

Unfortunately these explanation makes too much sense, and doesn't just apply to this thread :(
Junpei is cooler but I'm biased towards P3 cast

Edit:

I shorten "husbandos" to "habus", it seems like much more natural engrish.

I think the Vita will pick up eventually. Sony seems to finally be showing signs of supporting the Vita again, and once the PS4 has released and stablised, they'll turn their focus back to it (at least I hope).
From the looks of things you already have quite the backlog and adding a 50-80 hour long jrpg isn't going to help and since you'd need to buy new hardware just to play this, I'd actually hold off if I were you. But if there are a bunch of games on Vita that interest you there's no sense in waiting (unless money's a problem which I'm going to assume is not) since the OG will be gone soon so best to go in now if you want that OLED and you said yourself there's a bundle with the 4GB card and TWD.

Also, I second changing "husbandos" to "habus" (even though I'm a guy).

Meia

So, I go to sleep at like 5pm, wake up 1am on my days off like I normally do, get some "Tuesday" news, and it's THIS?!

XLQSXhU.gif

ANYHOOOOO, feels like a major branching point, with both potential positives and negatives depending on how well Sega Sammy runs a company.

Positive outcomes:

Altus is left totally alone.
Atlus games start showing up on PC.
Atlus USA is allowed to localize some major Sega games that Sega themselves haven't.

Negative outcomes:

Atlus USA is dissolved by the end of the year because having two localization companies is seen as redundant.
Sega gets their mitts on some of the SMT properties with "ideas".
Going with #1, we see a drastic decline on BOTH niche and major Atlus platforms(at best, not translated; at worst, nothing at all).

Am I missing any on either side here?

At any rate, how am I going to treat this? With bated breath and to wait and see what they do about Atlus USA. That will probably say all that needs to be said in terms of which of the above outcomes we're getting...

Astra

I have absolutely no idea how this is going to work out for Atlus and ultimately all us Persona fans.

Hearing how they seem to rarely localize games is a bit worrying. The only game I wanted that never came was Valkyria Chronicles 3. Though I am sure a game like Persona wouldn't have that problem.

The prospect of Atlus games on PC is very exciting, though.

In any case, I'll retain some cautious optimism. It could have been worse, after all.

Atlus USA is allowed to localize some major Sega games that Sega themselves haven't.

Yes. Bring us VC3!

Jintor

1mlqgy.png

Still don't know what to make of any of this. Trying to stay positive Maya, really am... :p

Excuse me Stewardess I speak Legalese

- Index got good mobile and good Atlus IPs
- Sega video games am good money dollars
- Pachinko and Sammy and Index all good together

If Sega eat Atlus, Sega will get:
- Dolla dolla from known IPs
- Growth in smart device markets via known IPs
- Gonna make Pachinko dolla dolla from known IPs

- That's why we bought this company yo
- Court agreed to it so we tight

Squire

Banned
Excuse me Stewardess I speak Legalese

- Index got good mobile and good Atlus IPs
- Sega video games am good money dollars
- Pachinko and Sammy and Index all good together

If Sega eat Atlus, Sega will get:
- Dolla dolla from known IPs
- Growth in smart device markets via known IPs
- Gonna make Pachinko dolla dolla from known IPs

- That's why we bought this company yo
- Court agreed to it so we tight

Ha, gangsta shit!

Dolla dolla bill, y'all!

Rhapsody

Banned
We've been waiting for you Dantis lol

I was hoping to feel reassured after the bid was over. I think I'm even more in a "worried let's wait and see" moment than I was before.

dkoy

So.... Sega Sammy owns Sega (game company subsidiary) owns Sega Dream Corporation (subsidiary of Sega game company) owns Index now? or is Index being renamed Sega Dream Corporation and under Sega's (game company) management? So... what does this mean for Atlus again? >.>

Sophia y u lie 2 us 'bout Seega Samy buyin' Index D: i trusted u

Caladrius

So.... Sega Sammy owns Sega (game company subsidiary) owns Sega Dream Corporation (subsidiary of Sega game company) owns Index now? or is Index being renamed Sega Dream Corporation and under Sega's (game company) management? So... what does this mean for Atlus again? >.>

Sophia y u lie 2 us 'bout Seega Samy buyin' Index D: i trusted u

Index will become Sega Dream Corp. SDC is assuming administrative duties that Index used to perform. Basically Sega has top-level control over Atlus

Meia

We've been waiting for you Dantis lol

I was hoping to feel reassured after the bid was over. I think I'm even more in a "worried let's wait and see" moment than I was before.

With this out of the way, the "this Tuesday guyz!" thing should grow even more, as now an announcement can probably come at any time.

Persona 5, now for your PC! (JPN only).

Jintor

Nothing exists before I play it so I'm cool

only reason I'm not freaking out more about GTAV. Well, that and I hate playing open world games on consoles PC FOR LYFE

Necrovex

So I was hearing I was supposed to merge this with the Sonic thread or something?

Combine the Sonic, Miku, and Persona threads into a giant Sega thread. We are all comrades now.

It's happening!!!!!

Shite. Was hoping Gung Ho would acquire them.

Prepare for shitty idol crossovers and lower quality standards.

Why are you so negative about having some Miku in your Persona? :p

sasliquid

So I've been lurking the last few days and finally got my account verified so I thought I'd say hi.

I guess I'm kinda new to Persona since I only just played P4G a few months ago but went straight into P3P, back to P4G and P3P again. Currently slogging through Innocent Sin but it's safe to say I'm looking forward a P5 announcement then waiting for it to be released, though I live in the UK so I expect that may be a while.

I have a feeling this may have not been the best time to enter the fanbase though.

Trigger

So I've been lurking the last few days and finally got my account verified so I thought I'd say hi.

I guess I'm kinda new to Persona since I only just played P4G a few months ago but went straight into P3P, back to P4G and P3P again. Currently slogging through Innocent Sin but it's safe to say I'm looking forward a P5 announcement then waiting for it to be released, though I live in the UK so I expect that may be a while.

I have a feeling this may have not been the best time to enter the fanbase though.

lol, this is probably the best time to enter the fanbase since we're discussing something actually related to persona instead of just making Tuesday jokes and posting random fanart.
XBMjaTZ.gif

Caladrius

Welcome holmes.

It'll settle down after about a week, or until Persona 5 is announced
The scars will last foreverrrrr.
We're a very capricious bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom