• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been lurking the last few days and finally got my account verified so I thought I'd say hi.

I guess I'm kinda new to Persona since I only just played P4G a few months ago but went straight into P3P, back to P4G and P3P again. Currently slogging through Innocent Sin but it's safe to say I'm looking forward a P5 announcement then waiting for it to be released, though I live in the UK so I expect that may be a while.

I have a feeling this may have not been the best time to enter the fanbase though.

Welcome. I'm from the UK too. You should be used to year long delays :p
Or in the case of SMTIV, forever delayed!

Woo, my profile finally got confirmed and just in time to burn my dread...fancy that.

Hello all,

I've been watching you fools go about your daily happenings for quite some time now, and I gotta say: Its a nice gig you guys got going on here.

I look forward to arguing with you all, and generally agreeing with Dantis on about everything.

So I've been lurking the last few days and finally got my account verified so I thought I'd say hi.

I guess I'm kinda new to Persona since I only just played P4G a few months ago but went straight into P3P, back to P4G and P3P again. Currently slogging through Innocent Sin but it's safe to say I'm looking forward a P5 announcement then waiting for it to be released, though I live in the UK so I expect that may be a while.

I have a feeling this may have not been the best time to enter the fanbase though.

Hey we joined at the same time, from a fellow noob: Welcome!

Screw all the negativity in the Sega Atlus topics.

tumblr_mafeqkrt7m1qbn3hqo1_500.png

Meia

This until I know the fate of Altus USA. Keeping it means the odds of Atlus running as they have been all along are high. Axing it as a cost-cutting measure means the odds of it being run like Sega is at the moment are high.

How GREAT would it be to have Persona 5 announced, and have Sega be the one to translate it if they bring it over? Eh? EH?!

Fact: We were excited about the possibility of Persona, and with the Index situation in the air, the big question if it was announced was "What's it coming out for?!" Now it's "Boy I hope it comes out over here." What a difference a day makes huh?

But yes, welcome new folks! Always happy to see new peeps, even midst potential doom and gloom. :p

Fact: We were excited about the possibility of Persona, and with the Index situation in the air, the big question if it was announced was "What's it coming out for?!" Now it's "Boy I hope it comes out over here." What a difference a day makes huh?

But yes, welcome new folks! Always happy to see new peeps, even midst potential doom and gloom. :p

The statement that pretty much explains what Atlus being under Sega means T-T

Omikaru

Once we know Atlus USA's fate, we'll know whether we should meltdown or breathe a sigh of relief.

This could be negative, i.e. Atlus USA is rolled into Sega of America and then Atlus' IP will suddenly need to sell 400 gazillion copies before it's considered even remotely profitable in a large company with lots of bloat.

Or, Atlus USA could survive and carry on being niche game publisher, with the added bonus that they now have access to all of Sega's niche IP to bring over too.

Meia

I should really play that one of these days, can anyone say how necessary it is to play 999 beforehand?

Very.

Critical? Kind of, but you won't get as much enjoyment out of VLR if you don't play 999 first, it is a sequel after all. Playing them both back to back was still probably one of my best gaming experiences.

I can understand liking the voice actor, but that has nothing to do with the actual character.

Au contraire, ma petit choufleur. It has everything to do with the actual character.

Par example: Japanese Rise is screechy, annoying and overbearing. English Rise is sly and sweet.

Lunar15

I liked Rise because I expected to not like her but was pleasantly surprised at how good of a character she was. Yes, she could get annoying at times, but it seemed purposeful and core to the character, rather than the writers not knowing they were being annoying. That's just one more reason why I like persona, a lot of the character flaws feel natural and are not the result of simple, bad writing.

kewlmyc

Au contraire, ma petit choufleur. It has everything to do with the actual character.

Par example: Japanese Rise is screechy, annoying and overbearing. English Rise is sly and sweet.

That's my point. Japanese Rise and English Rise are the same character. Same personality, mostly same dialog, and same mannerisms. Yet you only like her if she speaks in English.

Rise isn't bad, but I'm just not a fan of idols and flirts. She's a mix of both of them. I'm also not fond of her treatment of Kanji.

Luna was the best thing in VLR.
This is true. Phi is pretty great too. Also K.

PK Gaming

I've always liked Rise, but I've never really appreciated until my recent playthrough. Her biggest appeal imo, is her interaction with the core group of characters. She's extremely comfortable with everyone with the group(probably more so than anyone outside of Yu), which results in a lot of playing around / teasing on her part. The important to thing to note is the execution; if they handled it poorly, she would have come across as a bitch, but the Persona team executed it perfectly. One great Rise scene that comes to mind is during the cooking competition when she overtly teases Chie and Yukiko. They get mad at her, but there's denying that they're all having fun. She does this constantly, and they're all great.

I love her deceptive layer of maturity and I like how she's pretty much Kanji's bro.

That's my point. Japanese Rise and English Rise are the same character. Same personality, mostly same dialog, and same mannerisms. Yet you only like her if she speaks in English.

Rise isn't bad, but I'm just not a fan of idols and flirts. She's a mix of both of them. I'm also not fond of her treatment of Kanji.

This is true. Phi is pretty great too. Also K.

Her relationship with Kanji is one of her best aspects though...

So it wasn't just me. All I can remember is her fawning commentary in battle.

OO-HOO-HOOH SEMPAI~!

Her interactions with the other characters are pretty good too.

"Yosuke senpai was.. cool? No way!"
"Enemy Down. Show it what you've got, Kanji-kun!"
"Yukiko sempai!? boy! if looks could kill!"

Jintor

She's like a bratty little sister to kanji mostly.

Yeah, I think her core interactions with the rest of the cast are great. Especially with the Kohai

kewlmyc

I've always liked Rise, but I've never really appreciated until my recent playthrough. Her biggest appeal imo, is her interaction with the core group of characters. She's extremely comfortable with everyone with the group(probably more so than anyone outside of Yu), which results in a lot of playing around / teasing on her part. The important to thing to note is the execution; if they handled it poorly, she would have come across as a bitch, but the Persona team executed it perfectly. One great Rise scene that comes to mind is during the cooking competition when she overtly teases Chie and Yukiko. They get mad at her, but there's denying that they're all having fun. She does this constantly, and they're all great.

I love her deceptive layer of maturity and I like how she's pretty much Kanji's bro.

Her relationship with Kanji is one of her best aspects though...

Her interactions with the other characters are pretty good too.

"Yosuke senpai was.. cool? No way!"
"Enemy Down. Show it what you've got, Kanji-kun!"
"Yukiko sempai!? boy! if looks could kill!"

Kanji never seems to enjoy it though.

sasliquid

Very.

Critical? Kind of, but you won't get as much enjoyment out of VLR if you don't play 999 first, it is a sequel after all. Playing them both back to back was still probably one of my best gaming experiences.

Ah, then I'll wait till I see 999 cheap, I've got enough of a back catalog to catch up with.

In regards to Rise she was one of those characters who I surprisingly warmed to, I think I ended up liking everyone in P4 core cast but I actually prefer the first party members for being a lot more 'down to earth' (there's probly a better term that that somewhere) but I think I'm in the minority there.

Definitely more consistently likable than 3s cast.
I too don't like Ken, am I fitting in yet?

In my interpretation of their relationship, I feel Kanji and Rise are probably closer friends to each other than the others, that's why they get away with treating each other more rudely than the others. That's just how I see it.

3 has Junpei though, which gives its cast a massive boost.

Have you listened to PersonaGAF's podcast yet, liquid? It's pretty friggin' great, especially the VA interview eps.

Meia

Ah, then I'll wait till I see 999 cheap, I've got enough of a back catalog to catch up with.

In regards to Rise she was one of those characters who I surprisingly warmed to, I think I ended up liking everyone in P4 core cast but I actually prefer the first party members for being a lot more 'down to earth' (there's probly a better term that that somewhere) but I think I'm in the minority there.

Definitely more consistently likable than 3s cast.
I too don't like Ken, am I fitting in yet?

It's $20 on Amazon, given it's status I think you're more likely to see it go up if it goes rare than go down. And yes, even at $20 it's worth it.

And yeah, Junpei saves 3's cast for me. Yukari was an interesting case study, especially when you compare her to Rise who share the same arcana.

Lunar15

Look, this is definitely me putting my own positive spin on the game, and I could be ignoring stuff to put my opinion in a better light, but I always felt like a lot of the group interaction revolved around the point that really, outside of the investigation group, none of these people would have had any reason to interact, particularly people like Kanji and Rise. But it's the fact that they're hanging out with people they're unused to that makes them stronger characters.

In regards to the teasing directed at Kanji, his reactions are based around the fact that he's never received that from someone who is still his friend. He's not used to playful teasing. His previous reaction to anyone saying anything about him was to act tough, so it's no surprise that his reactions are all dour. He's still learning how to deal with stuff and internalize it, and that ultimately makes his character stronger. Rise and Yosuke tease, but they're ultimately loyal to the group, and that's a key undercurrent. I never got the feeling that anyone was being outright rude or disrespectful. There's definitely at least one case of every member sticking up for another member at some point.

The characters in Persona certainly have their flaws, but I feel like the game rationalizes them and makes them core to the characterization. I know people on this board have a problem with the way Yosuke acts, but I think that in many ways, this is intentional. Even at the beginning of the game, Yosuke is shit on by everyone around him and people definitely think he's a creep. He puts out an annoying little brother vibe. And this is even reflected by his own shadow. It's part of who he is, it's how he acts in the world. But you do see his personal side and how loyal he is, and really he just wants to be accepted despite his immaturity. I think we all know people like that, and many of us are like that ourselves.

This goes for Rise too. She's an Idol; being playful and teasing are part of the job, it's how she's used to interacting with people. It'd be shocking if she just dropped that part of her character entirely. The other characters even call it out. They recognize when she's being like that. The game realizes that these characters have flaws, it's not like everyone ignores it. That's what made it feel real for me. Think about yourself and your own friend group: hardly ever do we just open up entirely and then solve all of our internal flaws and quirks. We open up in small amounts, often in private, and rarely to the entire group. We put on a face, but as we gain trust, we show deeper sides of ourselves. Persona is a game entirely about this concept, so it's unsurprising to me that this would happen in the group itself.

And yes, the writing isn't perfect. There's certainly some parts that don't mesh with others. But this is a game written and designed by multiple people, so it's not surprising. It's far more consistent than I've seen in other games, so that's why I love it so much, I guess.

Look, this is definitely me putting my own positive spin on the game, and I could be ignoring stuff to put my opinion in a better light, but I always felt like a lot of the group interaction revolved around the point that really, outside of the investigation group, none of these people would have had any reason to interact, particularly people like Kanji and Rise. But it's the fact that they're hanging out with people they're unused to that makes them stronger characters.

In regards to the teasing directed at Kanji, his reactions are based around the fact that he's never received that from someone who is still his friend. He's not used to playful teasing. His previous reaction to anyone saying anything about him was to act tough, so it's no surprise that his reactions are all dour. He's still learning how to deal with stuff and internalize it, and that ultimately makes his character stronger. Rise and Yosuke tease, but they're ultimately loyal to the group, and that's a key undercurrent. I never got the feeling that anyone was being outright rude or disrespectful. There's definitely at least one case of every member sticking up for another member at some point.

The characters in Persona certainly have their flaws, but I feel like the game rationalizes them and makes them core to the characterization. I know people on this board have a problem with the way Yosuke acts, but I think that in many ways, this is intentional. Even at the beginning of the game, Yosuke is shit on by everyone around him and people definitely think he's a creep. He puts out an annoying little brother vibe. And this is even reflected by his own shadow. It's part of who he is, it's how he acts in the world. But you do see his personal side and how loyal he is, and really he just wants to be accepted despite his immaturity. I think we all know people like that, and many of us are like that ourselves.

Bingo dude, hit the nail right on the head.

Meia

Not one wrong thing in this, bravo. Their personalities clash at times, but there's never any negative to it, it's always about them trying to overcome their own baggage in the end. It's why I still the overall cast of P4 is one of the best I've seen in a game.

EMT0

Banned
I'd agree...but to a point. The casts' interactions were great in Persona 4. But Arena, which is canon? Killed my liking of Rise cold. But to be fair, she doesn't really seem to get enough screen time to do anything besides the scathing remarks.

Lunar15

I'd agree...but to a point. The casts' interactions were great in Persona 4. But Arena, which is canon? Killed my liking of Rise cold. But to be fair, she doesn't really seem to get enough screen time to do anything besides the scathing remarks.

Arena definitely messes with stuff, HOWEVER, after individual fights the characters make up, and actually have some pretty heartfelt reactions that show how they really feel about each other. Rise never really gets this chance, so this is probably why you feel this way.

sasliquid

3 has Junpei though, which gives its cast a massive boost.

Have you listened to PersonaGAF's podcast yet, liquid? It's pretty friggin' great, especially the VA interview eps.

No not yet, once I move into my student flat and get internet set up I'll get right on it.

I think this is perhaps one of the key reason I love P4 so much more than P3. The group as a whole interacts so much better, the characters in 3 are mostly great individuals but there's not that sense that they would actually stay friends after the plot. In contrast the P4 group feels really... real. I have a couple of gay/bi friends and we tease each other but it's because we're comfortable around another and can talk to each other about stuff.

Some people hate on Yosuke because he's 'immature' but he's like 16/17 of course he's gonna act weird around some things and people he's never experienced. In fact he's perhaps my favorite character by the end (along with Kanji and Yukiko) because he's so much like myself and realistically flawed.

Lunar15

Arena definitely messes with stuff, HOWEVER, after individual fights the characters make up, and actually have some pretty heartfelt reactions that show how they really feel about each other.

Arena turns everything up to 11, which is probably intentional, but maybe not the best for the series. I'm still not sure how I feel about all of it, but nothing felt outright contrary to anything in the original RPG.

I think this is perhaps one of the key reason I love P4 so much more than P3. The group as a whole interacts so much better, the characters in 3 are mostly great individuals but there's not that sense that they would actually stay friends after the plot. In contrast the P4 group feels really... real. I have a couple of gay/bi friends and we tease each other but it's because we're comfortable around another and can talk to each other about stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't praising one game over the other. P3 has entirely different themes, and I think the cast fits those themes extremely well. They serve different purposes. I could go on and on about how much I love the interactions in P3 as well, but once again, it'd just be me putting my own overly positive and biased spin on it. Long story short, P3 is less about dealing with flaws and society, and more about dealing with one's purpose and mortality. The ultimate conclusion is less of "friendship" and more of "teamwork": we have to work together to find purpose. As a result, the party members feel more like loyal co-workers than casual friends, and that's not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom