• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

I'd agree...but to a point. The casts' interactions were great in Persona 4. But Arena, which is canon? Killed my liking of Rise cold. But to be fair, she doesn't really seem to get enough screen time to do anything besides the scathing remarks.

But the scathing remarks
aren't even her doing! lol

sasliquid

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't praising one game over the other. P3 has entirely different themes, and I think the cast fits those themes extremely well. They serve different purposes. I could go on and on about how much I love the interactions in P3 as well, but once again, it'd just be me putting my own overly positive and biased spin on it. Long story short, P3 is less about dealing with flaws and society, and more about dealing with one's purpose and mortality. The ultimate conclusion is less of "friendship" and more of "teamwork": we have to work together to find purpose. As a result, the party members feel more like loyal co-workers than casual friends, and that's not a bad thing.

No, my preference is just my opinion. I respect some of the stuff they were going for in 3 and I know some people who really love it but personally some of the interpersonal themes of 4 struck me right in the feels.

I'd agree...but to a point. The casts' interactions were great in Persona 4. But Arena, which is canon? Killed my liking of Rise cold. But to be fair, she doesn't really seem to get enough screen time to do anything besides the scathing remarks.

wasn't most of the remarks she does as announcer
not actually her?

EMT0

Banned
Arena definitely messes with stuff, HOWEVER, after individual fights the characters make up, and actually have some pretty heartfelt reactions that show how they really feel about each other.

Arena turns everything up to 11, which is probably intentional, but maybe not the best for the series. I'm still not sure how I feel about all of it, but nothing felt outright contrary to anything in the original RPG.

But the scathing remarks
aren't even her doing! lol

wasn't most of the remarks she does as announcer
not actually her?

Not so. The first thing
the real
Rise does when she sees Kanji is insult him. Then some dialogue happens and
Labrys
escapes. Then she rips on him again. No, Rise in Arena was quite merciless. Almost as though the diva stuff....actually went to her head.

Rhapsody

Banned
So I've been lurking the last few days and finally got my account verified so I thought I'd say hi.

I guess I'm kinda new to Persona since I only just played P4G a few months ago but went straight into P3P, back to P4G and P3P again. Currently slogging through Innocent Sin but it's safe to say I'm looking forward a P5 announcement then waiting for it to be released, though I live in the UK so I expect that may be a while.

I have a feeling this may have not been the best time to enter the fanbase though.

Welcome. Some of you guys get verified so fast. I wasn't so lucky.

Squire

Banned
Look, this is definitely me putting my own positive spin on the game, and I could be ignoring stuff to put my opinion in a better light, but I always felt like a lot of the group interaction revolved around the point that really, outside of the investigation group, none of these people would have had any reason to interact, particularly people like Kanji and Rise. But it's the fact that they're hanging out with people they're unused to that makes them stronger characters.

In regards to the teasing directed at Kanji, his reactions are based around the fact that he's never received that from someone who is still his friend. He's not used to playful teasing. His previous reaction to anyone saying anything about him was to act tough, so it's no surprise that his reactions are all dour. He's still learning how to deal with stuff and internalize it, and that ultimately makes his character stronger. Rise and Yosuke tease, but they're ultimately loyal to the group, and that's a key undercurrent. I never got the feeling that anyone was being outright rude or disrespectful. There's definitely at least one case of every member sticking up for another member at some point.

The characters in Persona certainly have their flaws, but I feel like the game rationalizes them and makes them core to the characterization. I know people on this board have a problem with the way Yosuke acts, but I think that in many ways, this is intentional. Even at the beginning of the game, Yosuke is shit on by everyone around him and people definitely think he's a creep. He puts out an annoying little brother vibe. And this is even reflected by his own shadow. It's part of who he is, it's how he acts in the world. But you do see his personal side and how loyal he is, and really he just wants to be accepted despite his immaturity. I think we all know people like that, and many of us are like that ourselves.

This goes for Rise too. She's an Idol; being playful and teasing are part of the job, it's how she's used to interacting with people. It'd be shocking if she just dropped that part of her character entirely. The other characters even call it out. They recognize when she's being like that. The game realizes that these characters have flaws, it's not like everyone ignores it. That's what made it feel real for me. Think about yourself and your own friend group: hardly ever do we just open up entirely and then solve all of our internal flaws and quirks. We open up in small amounts, often in private, and rarely to the entire group. We put on a face, but as we gain trust, we show deeper sides of ourselves. Persona is a game entirely about this concept, so it's unsurprising to me that this would happen in the group itself.

And yes, the writing isn't perfect. There's certainly some parts that don't mesh with others. But this is a game written and designed by multiple people, so it's not surprising. It's far more consistent than I've seen in other games, so that's why I love it so much, I guess.

One of the finest posts this thread has seen in recent times.

I agree.

Levito

Banned
On top of Persona being written by multiple people, it's also translated by multiple people. Cultural barriers and all that jazz. Good post Lunar, I've been saying similar things for a while now.

Dexter has been TERRIBLE lately. Hannah is the Ken of Dexter.

Terrible is an understatement, Dexter has reached lows that are almost unfathomable. Like using an adult stunt double for a child.

Seeing Breaking Bad and Dexter reach their finales at literally the exact same time has been interesting. As they're both long time beloved shows, where they couldn't be farther from eachother on the quality spectrum. Dexter is basically on par with soap operas now.

PK Gaming

In my interpretation of their relationship, I feel Kanji and Rise are probably closer friends to each other than the others, that's why they get away with treating each other more rudely than the others. That's just how I see it.

I agree completely. There is a surprising amount of interaction between the 2 characters; They're frequently shown hanging around together, and Rise is actually relevant to Kanji's social link(kanji mentions that she showed up at his place) and she brings him up in her own social link. You constantly see them hanging out together, either in other social links (Marie) or in side events.

The key point of note here is that their relationship is purely platonic. I seriously enjoy this relationship because it's a good example of a simple friendship with no strings attached. I think part of the reason why they're so close is due to the fact that they're in the same year. It's easier to relate to someone who is going through the same school year with you. Even though the investigation team is tight, they're definitely separated into 2 distinct groups: the 2nd years(Yu, Yosuke, Chie and Naoto) and the first years(Kanji, Rise, Naoto).

Not so. The first thing
the real
Rise does when she sees Kanji is insult him. Then some dialogue happens and
Labrys
escapes. Then she rips on him again. No, Rise in Arena was quite merciless. Almost as though the diva stuff....actually went to her head.

She rips into him for being an idiot-moron remember? Instead of being productive member of the investigation, Kanji went around beating the shit out of his friends because he thought he was in a dream. Remember, Arena turned Kanji into an absolute idiot. Easily the character with the worst portrayal, and hands down the most unforgivable one in the lot.

In actuality, everybody (with the exception of Yu and Naoto) are harsher to Rise since they're actually fooled into thinking that the fake Rise is the real one at first. That's... I don't even... what?!? Nobody is willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until the very last stretch of the storyline. It's depressing...

Squire

Banned
Terrible is an understatement, Dexter has reached lows that are almost unfathomable. Like using an adult stunt double for a child.

Seeing Breaking Bad and Dexter reach their finales at literally the exact same time has been interesting. As they're both long time beloved shows, where they couldn't be farther from eachother on the quality spectrum. Dexter is basically on par with soap operas now.

Yeah, it's really interesting to see the reactions to both shows. I don't watch Dexter, but... yikes.

Meanwhile, Breaking Bad is basically setting a new standard for television as a medium.

Sophia

P4A's story definitely has issues. Dantis redeemed.

There is no need to inflate Dantis's ego, and he certainly isn't "redeemed", because everyone knew that P4A's story mode had issues. :p

and damnit, I remember when Dexter was good. What the hell happened there? :|

also...

She rips into him for being an idiot-moron remember? Instead of being productive member of the investigation, Kanji went around beating the shit out of his friends because he thought he was in a dream. Remember, Arena turned Kanji into an absolute idiot. Easily the character with the worst portrayal, and hands down the most unforgivable one in the lot.

In actuality, everybody (with the exception of Yu and Naoto) are harsher to Rise since they're actually fooled into thinking that the fake Rise is the real one at first. That's... I don't even... what?!? Nobody is willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until the very last stretch of the storyline. It's depressing...

This isn't even remotely true, much less stated anywhere, and Rise's behavior is perfectly normal for someone who was just kidnapped. Of course she's going to be irritated with Kanji who's been a ditz his whole story mode. =P

Meia

I've been thinking about Dexter, and it's a show that's almost acting like it really wanted to last longer than it did, so as a consequence it's trying to shove a few season long plot strings into one season, instead of over an entire season. The first half of this last season was incredible, then it shifted gears into something, then once again doing it. Angel almost had the same problem too, looking back.

I haven't watched one episode of Breaking Bad, and I love good TV. I should fix this at one point.

Sophia

I haven't seen any Dexter. I'm told the first two or three seasons are very good.

They are. I love the first two seasons, and I normally don't even watch TV shows. Shame it all went downhill after that, but I guess that's inevitable for any TV show based off a novel.

Levito

Banned
Dexter was good till the 5th season, then everything fell apart. Several of the key creative people for the show left after season 4.

Season 4 was the best season of Dexter, so much promise... Man thinking about it is just sad.

You need to watch more HBO shows.

The only HBO show on par with Breaking Bad is The Wire.(forgive the cliché, but it's true)

Rhapsody

Banned
Only seen season 1 of it and liked it a ton. If I ever get around to watching more, definitely going to stop before everything just gets bad.

Lemstar

8t7xm8W.png

Meia

Had the same problem with Drama's last social link rank. It's interesting how each girl takes a rejection differently though. Yukiko practically flees the scene before she breaks down, Chie acts indifferent, I can't remember with Rise actually...

Levito

Banned
They are. I love the first two seasons, and I normally don't even watch TV shows. Shame it all went downhill after that, but I guess that's inevitable for any TV show based off a novel.

Actually Dexter the TV show corrected the biggest mistake the novel ever made(book spoilers):
Getting rid of Dexter's "dark passenger" being a literal demon. In the novels Dexter is literally possessed by a Mesopotamian demon. I'm not kidding. hahaha

Granted it really doesn't matter now, the show has gone beyond "shark jumping" to the point where even fans watching since the beginning don't even want to draw it out for 2 more episodes.

Game of Thrones is going to be a show that'll probably drop too sadly. For no other reason than the novel series get progressively worse.

Necrovex

YES.

You need to watch more HBO shows.

Breaking Bad is better than any HBO shows, and I adore HBO shows.

I've been thinking about Dexter, and it's a show that's almost acting like it really wanted to last longer than it did, so as a consequence it's trying to shove a few season long plot strings into one season, instead of over an entire season. The first half of this last season was incredible, then it shifted gears into something, then once again doing it. Angel almost had the same problem too, looking back.

I haven't watched one episode of Breaking Bad, and I love good TV. I should fix this at one point.

Dexter and Weeds have showed me that every Showtime show will become shit. Look at what happening to Homeland: it's about to join those other two shows on Shit Mountain. Hell, some people would argue it is already in the gutters.

Watch Breaking Bad ASAP. One of my favorite shows of all time.

I haven't seen any Dexter. I'm told the first two or three seasons are very good.

The first two seasons of Dexter are certainly worth watching. Watch the first four seasons, pretend the show ended there because Dexter had a heart attack and died
due to Light Yagami.

I know Buffy certainly did. :p

Shut up! Buffy's season six was still fairly good, even if it wasn't as good as its glorious fifth season, which that and the third season are the epitome of television.

...But I'll concede its final season was just bad. :-(

Game of Thrones is going to be a show that'll probably drop too sadly. For no other reason than the novel series get progressively worse.

I enjoyed the last two novels. Dorne is an amazing country underplayed in the last novel.

Meia

Shut up! Buffy's season six was still fairly good, even if it wasn't as good as its glorious fifth season, which that and the third season are the epitome of television.

...But I'll concede its final season was just bad. :-(

Season 6 was really only redeemed to me in how it ended. I get the idea that "Life is the Big Bad!" but meh. So many out of character moments permeated that season, and almost destroyed Xander in my eyes(redeemed with the end of course). Even Once More With Feeling(favorite episode of the show, which says a lot) did little to sway me on that season. :p

Though that season is also infamous to me for showing Joss Whedon's one weakness in my eyes as a writer:
NOBODY CAN HAVE A HAPPY ENDING ROMANTICALLY EVAR!

cjkeats

Actually Dexter the TV show corrected the biggest mistake the novel ever made(book spoilers):
Getting rid of Dexter's "dark passenger" being a literal demon. In the novels Dexter is literally possessed by a Mesopotamian demon. I'm not kidding. hahaha

That sounds a lot better to me, actually.

Necrovex

I've seen the first 39 episodes. ;)

S'aight. Boardwalk Empire is a lot better.

Nooooooooooooooooope!

I've only seen the first season of Boardwalk Empire.

Season 6 was really only redeemed to me in how it ended. I get the idea that "Life is the Big Bad!" but meh. So many out of character moments permeated that season, and almost destroyed Xander in my eyes(redeemed with the end of course). Even Once More With Feeling(favorite episode of the show, which says a lot) did little to sway me on that season. :p

Though that season is also infamous to me for showing Joss Whedon's one weakness in my eyes as a writer:
NOBODY CAN HAVE A HAPPY ENDING ROMANTICALLY EVAR!

Believe me, I would have adored the sixth season if the Big Bad at the end of the season was the Big Bad for the whole season.

Caladrius

I'm glad I don't watch television anymore (with...one exception.) I've always had severe commitment anxiety when it comes to episodic formats.

Levito

Banned
Joss Whedon's one weakness is his fucking insane and annoying fanbase. IE: People that say Firefly is the epitome of science fiction.

It's like the people that say Futurama was brilliant.

Huh.

What do those two shows have in common?

:)

I've seen the first 39 episodes. ;)

S'aight. Boardwalk Empire is a lot better.

Haha the last time this came up you said you hadn't even finished the first season. (unless encase you watched more)

Either way, stop always pleading Dantis to watch/play/read things guys. You can tell when he's made up his mind on certain things. :p

Meia

Believe me, I would have adored the sixth season if the Big Bad at the end of the season was the Big Bad for the whole season.

Good god yes.

It kind of was like that based on the whole story of the season, but it could have been more in the spotlight. This season of Dexter kind of reminds me of it, in trying to have too many plot points at once, diluting what you're overall trying to do.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Joss Whedon's one weakness is his fucking insane and annoying fanbase. IE: People that say Firefly is the epitome of science fiction.

It's like the people that say Futurama was brilliant.

Huh.

What do those two shows have in common?

:)

His other weakness being his shows are downright boring.

Although Agents of SHIELD looks promising.

*Scoots over on bench, leans in, whispers in your ear*

"...Shemue 3/Valkyria Chronicles 3/Phantasy Star Online 2/Yakuza 5"

*flies away on an aerie of bats*
FTFY

Oh wait seeing as Sega brought Atlus...what of the YouTube videos!?!! I don't remember what happened in the end but did Sega ever redacted their copyright claims on those LPs videos on their older games etc?

Levito, please correct me if I am wrong, but are you talkin' trash about Futurama?
IMHO when it was renewed it kinda went =/ with sprinkles of good episodes

Levito

Banned
Man wouldn't it be crazy if Persona 5 met a fate similar to Valkyria Chronicles 3/Phantasy Star Online 2/Yakuza 5? I would burn down SEGA. :p

Levito, please correct me if I am wrong, but are you talkin' trash about Futurama?

Haha I actually don't even think it's bad, just not my thing.

Firefly on the other hand...

Dantis

Haha the last time this came up you said you hadn't even finished the first season. (unless encase you watched more)

This would be both the logical and the correct conclusion.

I was watching it until two days ago, but I'm taking a break to watch Hemlock Grove because I'm getting a bit bored with it.

Like I say, s'aight.

So I guess the new thing is Yakuza fans forcing their own misery on Atlus fans.

OK.

Oh dear, haha.

Apparently we're getting Ishin though. On a personal level, that's a rather terrific outcome. I would have felt obligated to buy Y5 as a fan of the series but now that isn't an option. Which is a good thing.

Man wouldn't it be crazy if Persona 5 met a fate similar to Valkyria Chronicles 3/Phantasy Star Online 2/Yakuza 5? I would burn down SEGA. :p

I think I'd be more annoyed than I've ever been at anything related to a game.

Soriku

aeana said the acquisition news pushed back the P5 announcement a bit again. When are we expecting it now? Now that that crap's over with, hope it's not too long before they can show it off. Still think it'll be revealed before the end of the year.

aeana said the acquisition news pushed back the P5 announcement a bit again. When are we expecting it now? Now that that crap's over with, hope it's not too long before they can show it off. Still think it'll be revealed before the end of the year.
Next Tuesday.....(._.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom