• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

I don't get why people are freaking out. Atlus itself is a publisher, just as Sega is a publisher. This buyout doesn't necessarily mean that atlus games are going to be published by Sega (aka, not brought over here due to lack of interest).

As long as Atlus keeps up their ability to publish and localize games, I don't see this being an issue. Should hopefully be as if nothing ever changed, if not even better.

Why would Sega want to pay upkeep for two separate publishing entities? That seems redundant from a business point of view.

Remember. This is NOT Sega Corporation, but Sega Sammy the holdings company. :p

It will certainly not affect day to day operations in regards to localization, at least not right away.

However there is mentioning of a restructuring, so who knows... I have all the reason to believe the restructuring is to deal with the sections of Index that are bleeding money. (I.E. Not Atlus.)

Trigger

I don't get why people are freaking out. Atlus itself is a publisher, just as Sega is a publisher. This buyout doesn't necessarily mean that atlus games are going to be published by Sega (aka, not brought over here due to lack of interest).

As long as Atlus keeps up their ability to publish and localize games, I don't see this being an issue. Should hopefully be as if nothing ever changed, if not even better.

I hope so.

kewlmyc

BEST TUESDAY EVER.

Fuck this shit, good night.

FFCSEhN.gif

EDIT:
It's fun to overreact. I'm sure most of Atlus' games will be fine. Maybe.

Marche90

Well, who knew? Something interesting happened on tuesday.

Man, tbqh, I'm somewhat scared. I'm just praying for the best

Also, Persona X Miku HAS to happen now.

I can't exactly say I'm thrilled about the purchase... What if in the future the holdings company (Sega Sammy) decides merging Atlus with Sega is a good idea? I'm a little concerned that (if that happens) some games might not make it over out of Japan as a result.

I dunno, maybe I'm just seeing this from a worst possible outcome kind of thing...

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this stuff.

ST2K

Because both make money and there's no bonus to eliminating one.

Both make money, but they could make more money with just one publishing arm. It seems like they'd view it as inefficient to have both.

Maybe Atlus's publishing and localization divisions will replace Sega's, who knows. If anything, Sega fans should be rejoicing.

It's possible Atlus could replace them. I think it's also possible they could merge in some way (who knows what that looks like) or that Sega's could replace them entirely.

Remember. This is NOT Sega Corporation, but Sega Sammy the holdings company. :p

It will certainly not affect day to day operations in regards to localization, at least not right away.

However there is mentioning of a restructuring, so who knows... I have all the reason to believe the restructuring is to deal with the sections of Index that are bleeding money. (I.E. Not Atlus.)

I don't know. It sure seems like things are likely to change in the long-term. But, yeah, we don't know anything at all yet, really. We should wait before freaking out or relaxing.

dkoy

Let's be optimistic guys. Sega Sammy might put Sega under Atlus' control and we get all those Sega franchises coming out in the west! 8D

I literally know nothing about business management or how Sega Sammy operates

Samyy

Im scared.
Really really scared.
Ugh I would have even wanted Nintendo to buy them over Sega.
I know this probably not going to ruin Persona 5.... but what happens to the next game. Does the "Golden" version now come out on iOS instead of Vita, does EO now go to phones after the next game? So many questions...

kewlmyc

I wonder how Dantis will react....

Anyway, I wonder if that "restructure" mentioned in the main thread is actually true. I hope not.

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder how Dantis will react....

Anyway, I wonder if that "restructure" mentioned in the main thread is actually true. I hope not.

Of course it's true.

*INDEX* badly needs a restructuring. That's kinda one of the reasons they were in such trouble. A restructuring isn't bad for Atlus at all, being one of the profitable arms.

kewlmyc

Of course it's true.

*INDEX* badly needs a restructuring. That's kinda one of the reasons they were in such trouble. A restructuring isn't bad for Atlus at all, being one of the profitable arms.

I keep forgetting that they bought Index Corporation, and not just Atlus.

dkoy

You should feel indifferent. It means little to you as a consumer.

Who says they haven't already? ;)

So the reason why your posts aren't so panicked and knee-jerkish is because you're secretly working for Sega Sammy trying to calm the masses? :p

Sophia

So the reason why your posts aren't so panicked and knee-jerkish is because you're secretly working for Sega Sammy trying to calm the masses? :p

Well it's either that or my nature as a robot gives me a vast and incredible ability to remain calm, level headed, and rational in the face of any situation in which I am not fangirling over. I'm going with whats funnier, personally.

FluxWaveZ

I don't get to come home to P4A2 news, but I get to wake up to this?

Man...

Edit: Increased focus on smartphone game development and "revitalizing" Index's handheld and home console games division? How did it come to this?

WHY?

Lunar15

Everyone's jumping to all sorts of conclusions, myself included. I see it like this: Honestly, Sega Sammy has struggled at having a solid localization team to bring out games to the USA on a consistent and profitable basis. Atlus USA is a company that, as far as I know, localizes games in the US on a consistent and profitable basis. They're essentially buying exactly what they need.

It could end up that the two streams never cross, Atlus never localizes a Sega game, Sega never publishes an Atlus game, but It would be wild to me if Sega Sammy Holding Corp stripped away what is probably the most profitable arm of Index.

FluxWaveZ

Everyone's jumping to all sorts of conclusions, myself included. I see it like this: Honestly, Sega Sammy has struggled at having a solid localization team to bring out games to the USA on a consistent and profitable basis. Atlus USA is a company that, as far as I know, localizes games in the US on a consistent and profitable basis. They're essentially buying exactly what they need.

Or perhaps the localization team was an unnecessary part of the acquisition to Sega Sammy and that Atlus USA will be dissolved since Sega has their own localization department already?

Again, we can't jump to conclusions, but this doesn't mean that we should think everything's going to be alright.

Lunar15

Or perhaps the localization team was an unnecessary part of the acquisition to Sega Sammy and that Atlus USA will be dissolved since Sega has their own localization department already?

Again, we can't jump to conclusions, but this doesn't mean that we should think everything's going to be alright.

Entirely possible. But since there's far more "everything's going to shit" posts, I think it's better to bring up other possibilities than to join the freak out.

Squire

Banned

I've been saying this for months at this point. Sega is not Sega-Sammy. It's that simple.

It's going to be fine. I'm glad things are settled and I'm glad someone with a vested interest in the industry got them.

dkoy

I'm glad I'm one of the types to actually read peoples' post on topics I have an interest in. Otherwise I'd be flipping out about how 'Sega acquired Index'. Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. I just hope this optimism pays off :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom