• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Magus

Yep. I'm excited.

Cool mang, congrats on getting her on the show!!!!1

Also, I like the idea/theory that new character may or may not be P4A Spoilers:
the hacker guy that works with the malevolent entity, shit his persona might be ol Narly himself......unless there is pics of his persona out

Anyway, Im out night errbody!!!

MY theory is that the
Malevolent Entity/Nyarlathotep is using General Teddie and Shadow Labrys as its avatar for now,
which explains how that character can appear still.

Meia

She's also the rabbit from VLR, right?

Seems pretty versatile. Just wish she was in actual P4G instead of Marie so we got more of her. :(

Guys, Persona: Trinity Soul isn't THAT bad, its actually kind of refreshing to have a darker atmosphere compared to how happy light the p4 era has gotten. Don't get me wrong, the show has MAJOR issues, particularly catastrophic pacing, but you get my point, right?

Squire

Banned
Some fans weird me out with their aversion to misery in Persona. Christ, is there not enough of that in real life? You need your video games like that, too?

Dantis

Some fans weird me out with their aversion to misery in Persona. Christ, is there not enough of that in real life? You need your video games like that, too?

P3, P3P and P4 all balanced it well. P4G was skewed way too far in the direction of herpy derp fun.

PK Gaming

Yeah

It's like they want every persona character to come from broken homes and/or dead parent(s).

Christ, man. They added three scenes into parts of the game that had nothing before. Let it goooooooooo.

Yeah, and they're pretty much par for the course. Holy shit, the beach scene is practically interchangeable from the Cross dressing pageant, or the school campout.

I actually agree with Dantis on this one.

I'm using the wrong term. Ignore me.

Well, ignore the term. It's stupid how desperate people are for these games to be about suffering. That's what I mean.

Remember, this series has attracted many different groups of people from different places. I rather like Dark Persona TM myself.

PERSONA SUMO JUDO CHOP KARATE TOMBSTONE ARENA IN AIGIS BACKDROP: XTREME LEGENDS looks good!

Caladrius

I'm using the wrong term. Ignore me.

Well, ignore the term. It's stupid how desperate people are for these games to be about suffering. That's what I mean.

Yes. This is a berserk button for me. A story only needs as much hardship as it needs to preserve dramatic tension. If i wanted to see human suffering for the hell of it I would read the damned news.

cjkeats

Just catching up on the news.
Current status:
G07622t.gif
What a wonderful time to be alive.

The Arena sequel name is so dumb. I love it.
I don;t know what to make of the teaser page just yet. The P-studio logo means it's gonna be good stuff though.

I just don't like the thing where, 1, both 2's, 3, and...well...trinity soul, are all pretty dark, then out comes this one game thats bright as hell, and everyone wants the series to remain that way. I am not arguing for a bloodbath, I am arguing for a balance.

Dantis

Christ, man. They added three scenes into parts of the game that had nothing before. Let it goooooooooo.

It's probably unfair of you to act like I just came out with this from nowhere. It was relevant to the discussion. Ron said he didn't understand why people wanted more sad parts of the game, and I justified it.

It wasn't an attack on Ron or the game or... anything. Just talking.

Squire

Banned
you seem a tad stubborn on this one dude

No, you guys do. We've been over this before and I'm just not going to repeat myself. Read Caladrious post above me. Darkness for the sake of being so doesn't do a story any good. I think it just paints the people constantly begging for it in a bad light.

I just don't like the thing where, 1, both 2's, 3, and...well...trinity soul, are all pretty dark, then out comes this one game thats bright as hell, and everyone wants the series to remain that way. I am not arguing for a bloodbath, I am arguing for a balance.

Do you think the games are balanced in and of themselves? Because that's all that should matter. There shouldn't be a set rule set each game must follow. They all needs to have their own identity and personality.

No, you guys do. We've been over this before and I'm just not going to repeat myself. Read Caladrious post above me. Darkness for the sake of being so doesn't do a story any good. I think it just paints the people constantly begging for it in a bad light.

Who said it has to be dark for the sake of dark. the only game in the series where they do make it feel forced is Persona 3. Sorry that my opinion is wrong and your opinion is right yo.

kewlmyc

I guess I'm the only one who isn't hyped right now. Not enough news I care about, plus I always get annoyed over an announcement over an announcement. Wish things would just be surprises like they used to be, none of this countdown stuff that usually leads to disappointment.

Sho's design looks alright. He's a dual wielder, so I can get down with that. He looks edgy as fuck though.

It's probably unfair of you to act like I just came out with this from nowhere. It was relevant to the discussion. Ron said he didn't understand why people wanted more sad parts of the game, and I justified it.

It wasn't an attack on Ron or the game or... anything. Just talking.

I know, but you always overexaggerate how silly P4G was compared to P4, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't irk me a bit. Aside from the hotspring scenes and the concert, everything in the game would be right at home in the vanilla version. Also calling it "herpy derpy fun" is a bit strange as I've done things like go to the beach or on skiing trips with friends myself, so they're not really a stretch at all.

Squire

Banned
Who said it has to be dark for the sake of dark. the only game in the series where they do make it feel forced is Persona 3. Sorry that my opinion is wrong and your opinion is right yo.

I never said that. You have to remember I'm speaking broadly here about a common sentiment I see.

"I hope it's not light like P4/is dark like P3"

Here's my question: Why does it matter? If it's tonally consistent in and of itself, who cares? Even if it's just a matter of taste (which is absolutely fair, if so) do people honestly think P4 is so insufferably light-hearted? Really?

I also hate that people here act like P1/2 dont have their own identity.

I think the people who like P1/2 do that to those games more than anyone else. They're the ones always saying, "They're actually more like mainline SMT games".

cjkeats

Sho isn't the first character with scars across his face right? I feel like I've seen characters with the big X across their face in Persona before.

Or maybe I'm thinking of some other anime person.

Either way, you'd think a guy with bright red hair and a giant X shaped set of scars across his face would be hard to miss running around your school. If he's not another robot anyways.

PK Gaming

To be fair, Persona 4 has it's fair share of heaviness. Did people forget that the game primarily deals with a serial killer? Sure it's got a lot of sillyness, but some of the scenes are pretty heavy. Saki's death and the confrontation with
each of the "killers"
come to mind.

And honestly, the other Persona games (with the exception of Persona 3 and Persona 2: EP) are fairly light hearted.

-Persona 1 wasn't that dark. Yes, I know I played the remake and it killed the oppressive atmosphere, but when it came to story scenes, the characters and the dialogue were generally quirky and bombastic (with the exception of Maki scenes). It mostly amounted to "Hey guys, let's go kick guido's ASS." The characters deal with demons, but they're mostly unaffected by them.
-Persona 2:IS is light hearted for like 60% of the game.

Hell, Persona 3's "dismal" tone works against it during some scenes (hi Strega) when they're downright comedic at times.

I never said that. You have to remember I'm speaking broadly here about a common sentiment I see.

"I hope it's not light like P4/is dark like P3"

Here's my question: Why does it matter? If it's tonally consistent in and of itself, who cares? Even if it's just a matter of taste (which is absolutely fair, if so) do people honestly think P4 is so insufferably light-hearted? Really?

I do think P4G is a bit inconsistent tonally, but thats another issue. Insufferably light hearted? I never thought that, THOSE guys are dumb, but so are people who whine that it should never go into darker territory again. Balance is key. I also never said I wanted bodies piling in the streets. You can go darker without going SUFFERING, jeez man. I KNOW I KEEP GOING BACK TO P2, but that game had the best balance of that stuff. It was light hearted at times, maybe even more than P4 at a few times,yet the dark moments do not feel forced and make a suitable impact.

Dantis

To be fair, Persona 4 has it's fair share of heaviness. Did people forget that the game primarily deals with a serial killer? Sure it's got a lot of sillyness, but some of the scenes are pretty heavy. Saki's death and the confrontation with
each of the "killers"
come to mind.

And honestly, the other Persona games (with the exception of Persona 3 and Persona 2: EP) are fairly lighthearted.

-Persona 1 wasn't that dark. Yes, I know I played the remake and it killed the oppressive atmosphere, but when it came to story scenes, the characters and the dialogue were quirky and bombastic (with the exception of Maki scenes). "Hey guys, let's go kick guido's ASS" The characters deal with demons, but they're mostly unaffected by them (with the exception of
-Persona 2:IS is light hearted for like 60% of the game.

Hell, Persona 3's "dismal" tone works against it during some scenes (hi Strega) when they're downright comedic.

I agree completely.

P4 was fine. Great balance. Like I say, P4G was what took it too far for me, because it almost exclusively added wacky stuff.

Nobody said that.

Just came back from school, and during the hour and fifteen minutes of notetaking I did, the creeping thought of Ultimax just kept popping up in my head

So much awesomeness, and man that new ice projectile is looking too good, seems to travel fast

Sho isn't the first character with scars across his face right? I feel like I've seen characters with the big X across their face in Persona before.

Or maybe I'm thinking of some other anime person.

There's definitely some other 'anime person' who has the same style scar, name escapes me though. Nothing from Persona that I remember.

Meia

I find it weird that Sho's scars are more fresh while Daidara's are faded, but they're the exact same(not just X, but jaggy as hell and same area).

I'm always going to be biased to four's tone(someday will get into why), but have no problem with 3's. I think they compliment each other super well, going from 3 to 4. I don't have much of an opinion on what 5 is, just as long as it's good. I had tears in my eyes at the ends of both games regardless, though complete opposite sides of the spectrum for why.

Squire

Banned
I do think P4G is a bit inconsistent tonally, but thats another issue. Insufferably light hearted? I never thought that, THOSE guys are dumb, but so are people who whine that it should never go into darker territory again. Balance is key. I also never said I wanted bodies piling in the streets. You can go darker without going SUFFERING, jeez man. I KNOW I KEEP GOING BACK TO P2, but that game had the best balance of that stuff. It was light hearted at times, maybe even more than P4 at a few times,yet the dark moments do not feel forced and make a suitable impact.

I generally agree (I think P4Gs tone is consistent). It's the silly desperation I don't get.

And I do appreciate dark stories. I'm one of the few people who takes games seriously if they wish to be taken as such, so of they want to got that way fantastic. I think both directions are great.

Nobody said that.

Not in this thread. I see that sentiment floating around GAF though. You're kind of guilty of it too, man. Not trying to call you out, but you act like the new stuff in Golden is nauseating.

There's definitely some other 'anime person' who has the same style scar, name escapes me though. Nothing from Persona that I remember.

^He is the son of Daidara or Future Past Daidara

EDIT: My post vanished like a spooky ghost, brb being spooked

Ah yes. This, and you mentioned it in irc too, silly me.

Also if you believe in tropes, an 'X' scar normally represents a good guy!

PK Gaming

I know, but you always overexaggerate how silly P4G was compared to P4, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't irk me a bit. Aside from the hotspring scenes and the concert, everything in the game would be right at home in the vanilla version. Also calling it "herpy derpy fun" is a bit strange as I've done things like go to the beach or on skiing trips with friends myself, so they're not really a stretch at all.

I'm with Scrafty on this one.

Speaking of the beach event was really fun (Totally going to post pictures when I get home)

cjkeats

^He is the son of Daidara or Future Past Daidara

P4_masterdaidara_large.jpg

EDIT: My post vanished like a spooky ghost, brb being spooked

Ah HA! I knew I wasn't losing it. He has read hair too! I saw you mention this in the IRC but didn't recognize the name right away.
Totally his son. You can inherit scars genetically right? ....right?

Lunar15

That website page is totally not for P5, so I would heavily recommend keeping your expectations low. Then again, we did hear that we might hear something in November, and this page counts down to November so..............

No. Expectations must remain low!

It is, however, good to start hearing things from the Persona team again. It gives me good hope for hearing about P5 in the near future.

Also, I don't care if P5 is "dark" or "goofy" or whatever. Just as long as it has strong themes that define the game and are present in nearly every aspect. I don't think anyone can deny that all persona games have been excellent at expressing their own respective themes, regardless of tone.

Meia

About that page, I find it suspicious in a good way that we find out about P4A2 like an hour before that other site went live. It's almost like they knew if that site happened without the A2 announcement, all anyone would think it was about was the fighting game...

Dantis

Not in this thread. I see that sentiment floating around GAF though. You're kind of guilty of it too, man. Not trying to call you out, but you act like the new stuff in Golden is nauseating.

Well, you're right about me acting like that with the True Story scene at least. Nauseating isn't a word I have used, but it's one I would use.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's strange, while enjoying the dark stuff in SMT and Persona, 3's was just rather weird for me and didn't really work until towards the end of the game.

I definitely don't hate the light side of things since all the games had them, and P4's was a good balance too. I didn't hate Golden's additions either since they were fun stuff added for people who've already played it. The feeling it gave off to me was "seeing your old friends again".

If I had to pick a game that was too "happy", it'd be Arena, but that gets a pass.

Levito

Banned
HEY HEY PK, Cindy Robinson is coming on the podcast. Now is your time, you in?

I also hate that people here act like P1/2 dont have their own identity.

And I hate that the Persona 2 fans consistently act like it's high fucking art while 3 and 4 are stoopid pleeb shit. Heart boobs and reincarnated Hitler is super dark yo.

It's fine if you don't like P4 or w/e, I just don't know why we need to retread the same ground over and over. Cause honestly the Persona 2 worship/shitting on 3/4 comes off more as superiority-seniority than anything. (IE: I liked this band before it was cool)

Can we just be excited about P5 and simmer a bit? LAWDY FOLKS.

HEY HEY PK, Cindy Robinson is coming on the podcast. Now is your time, you in?

And I hate that the Persona 2 fans consistently act like it's high fucking art while 3 and 4 are stoopid pleeb shit. Heart boobs and reincarnated Hitler is super dark yo.

It's fine if you don't like P4 or w/e, I just don't know why we need to retread the same ground over and over. Cause honestly the Persona 2 worship/shitting on 3/4 comes off more as superiority-seniority than anything. (IE: I liked this band before it was cool)

Can we just be excited about P5 and simmer a bit? LAWDY FOLKS.

pfft, i love how, you bring the dumb heart boobs and the hitler stuff, as if that is all that is in the game. A bit sad really.

BTW, I see it all over as a two way street, just blaming P2 fans, and saying they are the only ones who do it, is a fallacy. I like every game in the series, if you are saying I dont, then you would be wrong.

Squire

Banned
About that page, I find it suspicious in a good way that we find out about P4A2 like an hour before that other site went live. It's almost like they knew if that site happened without the A2 announcement, all anyone would think it was about was the fighting game...

Yes, everything that's happening now seems super deliberate.

Well, you're right about me acting like that with the True Story scene at least. Nauseating isn't a word I have used, but it's one I would use.

I know you all too well. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom