• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

I treated the Persona 4 Anime as a supplement to the scenes in Persona 4 that aren't anime cutscenes, that adds a whole bunch of needless comic fluff. And that was EXACTLY what I wanted.

Hey now, my list of awesome people for P4 goes Yu -> Yosuke -> Teddie == Kanji -> Nanako ->Dojima == Chie -> Naoto -> Adachi -> Rise -> Yukiko

He's ranked third on a cast full of awesome people that I like every last one of, that isn't a bad place to be at all.

Alright, good enough. He was definitely my favorite in P4.

Your views on the P4 anime are pretty much the same as mine, it's probably the best way to enjoy it.

Necrovex

Opinion over the films? I see they get a lot of flack over the 3d animation and skipping certain fan-favorite parts, but I gotta say that considering they had to retell that whole arc in 3 movies, all of them around 90 minutes on average, they did a fantastic job. Though I've been warning my friends that Berserk actually gets a bit more light hearted as it goes on. Though the comedy and little witch father/daughter relationship grew on me.

I saw all three films. I have a love-hate relationship with it. When the animation is 2D, it is a piece of beauty. The CGI is hot garbage in all three movies. It may look better over time, but it is like me stating my shit is getting prettier over time.

The actual content is decent. The pacing is fine, particularly for 90 minute films. The third one is the best in the trilogy. But I would suggest to anyone to watch the anime up to the last few episodes, and then to read the manga. Late-spoiler for the Golden Age Arc:
I would say read the manga after Guts leave Griffith.

cjkeats

does idolm@ster even get localised?
Games? No, just the ports of the shitty rhythm games on iOS
I think the anime was brought over, but not dubbed, I could be wrong.
One of the PSP games has a full translation patch though. It's pretty cool.

Seems the version of More Than One Heart that's on the bonus disc is cut down. :(

The OST had best have the full version.

Also, some of those lyrics were completely unguessable, haha. The actual lyrics are really, really good. Kawamura just sings them incomprehensibly.

EDIT: The box art is hideous. Where's my new version of Burn My Dread? :(

Haha, the lyrics transcribed from the concert are so off.

Just had another listen, those lyrics are fantastic. There's such unorthodox phrasing though. I suppose that's the nature of trans-cultural music. (I know that's a made up word, but I hope that I got my point across?)

I saw all three films. I have a love-hate relationship with it. When the animation is 2D, it is a piece of beauty. The CGI is hot garbage in all three movies. It may look better over time, but it is like me stating my shit is getting prettier over time.

The actual content is decent. The pacing is fine, particularly for 90 minute films. The third one is the best in the trilogy. But I would suggest to anyone to watch the anime up to the last few episodes, and then to read the manga. Late-spoiler for the Golden Age Arc:
I would say read the manga after Guts leave Griffith.

I couldn't fault anyone, though I'd definitely recommend seeing the battle scenes in the film. The 100 men fight is awesome in it, not to mention the battles in the third one when.. shit happens.

Plus Skull Knight had the perfect voice cast and it was nice to see him in HD. I have the biggest man crush on that skull.

dkoy

Games? No, just the ports of the shitty rhythm games on iOS
I think the anime was brought over, but not dubbed, I could be wrong.
One of the PSP games has a full translation patch though. It's pretty cool.

I will purposefully make myself be open-minded and ask: what is idolm@ster about? Because it looks like super Otaku material. Does it have a story?
ok that still came off pretty snobbish, sorry :/

On another note Soul Hackers finally came to Pal regions, not that I'm getting it because I don't have a 3DS.

And I just listened to the One True Heart again. The lyrics fit so well with where I'm living (because it's spring here).

cjkeats

I will purposefully make myself be open-minded and ask: what is idolm@ster about? Because it looks like super Otaku material. Does it have a story?
ok that still came off pretty snobbish, sorry :/

On another note Soul Hackers finally came to Pal regions, not that I'm getting it because I don't have a 3DS.

More or less, it's a management game. You play a producer at a idol production company and you have to organize their schedules, set up performances, etc with the ultimate goal of making them the top idol. It's pretty unique for a video game.
They do have a plot that usually revolves around drama in the girls lives, troubles with other companies, stuff like that. The plot of the second game on 360/PS3 is what the anime was adapted from.

Soul Hackers is pretty cool, but the 3DS has a lot of other cool stuff on it worth checking out. My advice is to import a US one though.

Meia

Anime list, scary. Hrm....

1) Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
2) One Piece
3) Cowboy Bebop
4) Naruto
5) Death Note
6) Fairy Tail

Only going to list 5. I've seen other series, but have mixed feelings on them and don't want to put them on a list. Even this list probably isn't necessarily in order, mostly because long shows kind of go in different spots on a list depending on what part of the show they're on.

I'm always more of a fan of ensemble casts usually, both in TV and anime it looks like. It's probably why I rate the Persona games as high as I do if I think about it.

Looking at other lists though makes me realize how little anime I've seen apparently.

PK Gaming

I treated the Persona 4 Anime as a supplement to the scenes in Persona 4 that aren't anime cutscenes, that adds a whole bunch of needless comic fluff. And that was EXACTLY what I wanted.

Hey now, my list of awesome people for P4 goes Yu -> Yosuke -> Teddie == Kanji -> Nanako ->Dojima == Chie -> Naoto -> Adachi -> Rise -> Yukiko

He's ranked third on a cast full of awesome people that I like every last one of, that isn't a bad place to be at all.

Hey, I watched the anime, and I STILL enjoy One Piece :(

Granted, I skip filler.

Why is Yu #1, he's not even a real character. He isn't anything really, he's just you...

Hahaha just kidding, your list is similar to mine.

Anime list:
1. Code Geass
2. Stein;s Gate
3. Cowbow Bebop
4 Gurren Lagann
5. Death Note
6. FMA:B
7. Digimon Tamers
8. Soul Eater (First half)
9. Durarara!!
10. Madoka Magica

PK Gaming

Oops came into the wrong thread. Can someone point me to where I can debate about Yosuke and Junpei?
Scrafty I love you like another brother but...

Hana-chan wins this duel

This just turned into a husbando war, and I'm not even into husbandos, like at all. You're all heathens. Yosuke is likeable from the start, unlike Junpei, and ends as your brother in arms best friend. Dare I say it, Yosuke is my favorite character in Persona 4 after Anime Yu Narukami.

Husbando Tier list (Work in progress)

Yu Narukami tier:
-Yu

God tier:
-Shinjiro
-Katsuya
-Jun

High tier:
-Kanji
-Akihiko
-Yosuke
-Junpei
-Nanjo
-Eikichi

Mid tier:
-Tatsuya
-Makoto Yuki
-Mark
-Reiji

Low tier:
-Teddie
-Brown

Refund tier:
-Ken

Scrafty I love you like another brother but...

Hana-chan wins this duel

Review-of-Catherine-Pic-6.jpg

I guess our preferences differ in that you relate more to Yosuke and I relate more to Junpei on personal levels, which is actually pretty cool.

Caladrius

Husbando Tier list (Work in progress)

IT'S ONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Husbando Tier List:Sassy edition.

A: Kanji

B: Jun, Akihiko, Teddie, Dojima, Theodore, Katsuya

C: Shinjiro, Junpei, Baofu, Eikichi, Naoki Konishi

D: Adachi, Kurosawa,Kou,Daisuke

E: Ikutsuki, Morooka

Incest tier: All male Protags

Limbo: Sho, testing in B

F.
ailure
: Yosuke

Kazzy

Lists are stupid. Yosuke is the only response that I'm willing to provide in such a situation, make of that what you will!

Meia

Yosuke was more of a bro for the entire game, but Junpei was a better character because he actually changed over the course of the game. Never really got that impression from Yosuke, and I probably know why.

P3 spoilers as well as beginning p4 ones:

Junpei's major source of growth in the game is the death of Chidori. Whether or not she gets revived after is irrelevant, his coming to grips with the loss of someone he deeply cares about, someone that loved him enough to sacrifice themselves for him(in other words someone completely opposite his abusive father) really changes who he is.

Yosuke on the other hand has this death happen at the beginning of P4 in Saki. Of course, he's never really close to her and the feeling isn't mutual by any stretch, but even so a death like that does change who you are. The problem is we don't really find out what Yosuke was before this death. Junpei we have an entire game to see how he is beforehand, Yosuke we meet and like an hour later it happens. The other only real problem with Yosuke is a lot of the game he's just kind of a soundboard for a silent protagonist, something that really comes across in the anime since Yu actually can talk.

Ultimately it probably comes down to how badly Junpei rubbed you before he grew as a character, and how much you can ignore Yosuke picking on others around him in a game that's all about accepting yourself.

I actually think that Junpei's inferiority complex is one of the most interesting things about his character and affects his growth more than
Chidori's death
does, but I also think that becoming Turbros with Junpei near the end of P3 is so much more satisfying because of how long it took for him to warm up to you. Yosuke's great, but he's kind of just like "we is bros now and everything's k" at the beginning of the game so it's not quite the same.

Plus Junpei's S. Link with FeMC is more raw and intimate than most of the romantic ones in the series, which says volumes about how much effort the writers put into it.

PK Gaming

I disagree

There's a stark difference between the Yosuke you see at the beginning of the game, and the Yosuke you see towards the end of the journey. He's a more responsible, goal oriented and considerate person by the end game. Yes, he's still prone to making inappropriate comments and indulging in stupid ideas, but it's understandable sunce people don't get change that easily. The fact that Yosuke still falls for the same mistakes makes him a more compelling character in my opinion. The
Namatame confrontation scene
drives the point home that he still hasn't gotten rid of his inner demons. Also, I don't think his character is that intricately linked to Saki.
Her death had some serious effects on his mental state, but it was just one thing in a long list of problems associated with Yosuke.
We do actually know what he was like before
her death.
I think we can infer that he was lot more bitter and angry at everyone/everything, and it's completely understandable. Being forced to move the boonies and turned into a punching bag for everyone around you is bound to do that to a person. It couldn't have happened at a better time either, since he's right in the middle of his awkward transition from teenager to young adult.

As an aside, I don't feel like Junpei's entire character growth is attributed solely due to
Chidori's death either...
. There are other factors involved (he probably took a good look at himself and made the conscious decision to change. I don't like to make
Chidori's death more of a plot device than it already is.

Lunar15

Weird thing is that, despite them both being deuteragonists, I find them to be incredibly different and hard to compare. They're also tailored to two different themes. P4 is about self-doubt and external expectations, whereas P3 is more about fear and mortality.

Sophia

Neither Yosuke nor Junpei is a deuteragonist however. The actual deuteragonist in Persona 4 is Naoto, and Persona 4 has a tritagonist in (massive spoils)
Adachi.

PK Gaming

Neither Yosuke nor Junpei is a deuteragonist however. The actual deuteragonist in Persona 4 is Naoto.
How can that be? Naoto joins the party in the last half of the game, and it's been said before, but she's pretty much only used to serve as an exposition tool.

Yosuke pretty much spearheads the investigation team, and is with Yu nearly every step of the journey. Like Meia says, Yosuke is often used to voice the protagonists thoughts or solidify a plan/idea. (going into the TV world, warning the potential victims, etc.) His link with Teddie can't be ignored either...

I don't think Junpei is P3's deuteragonist though (it doesn't have one, imo)

dkoy

I'd say that there is no single deuteragonist in P3 or P4. All members of SEES and IT were important, though I'd say the IT's cast had less importance to the story since they're horrible at actually investigating things and P4 could have been played with just Yu as a playable character :/

Rhapsody

Banned
So late, but for anyone that wants to add me on MAL.
Neither Yosuke nor Junpei is a deuteragonist however. The actual deuteragonist in Persona 4 is Naoto, and Persona 4 has a tritagonist in (massive spoils)
Adachi.
Never really felt that P4 had one, but that's just me. I just felt like no one truly stood out. I suppose Naoto was the closest, but I dunno.

Why is Yu #1, he's not even a real character. He isn't anything really, he's just you...

Hahaha just kidding, your list is similar to mine.

Anime list:
1. Code Geass
2. Stein;s Gate
3. Cowbow Bebop
4 Gurren Lagann
5. Death Note
6. FMA:B
7. Digimon Tamers
8. Soul Eater (First half)
9. Durarara!!
10. Madoka Magica

:)

Lunar15

Perhaps deuteragonist is the wrong word to use. But I think you'll understand what I mean in that they kind of both play the same role, despite being fairly different characters. They both are kind of the "second banana" to the main character. Yosuke is more than Junpei, but the parallel is still there.

Other than that, they both have different themes, and both fit them pretty well.

Sophia

Perhaps deuteragonist is the wrong word to use. But I think you'll understand what I mean in that they kind of both play the same role, despite being fairly different characters. They both are kind of the "second banana" to the main character. Yosuke is more than Junpei, but the parallel is still there.

Other than that, they both have different themes, and both fit them pretty well.

TVTropes uses "The Lancer" for this kind of character. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to call it.

Lunar15

TVTropes uses "The Lancer" for this kind of character. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to call it.

Well, the term deuteragonist just comes from when greek playwrights decided to add the amazingly revolutionary idea of a second character to their plays. It's basically "the second character". I would feel that Yosuke definitely fills this role in P4. With Junpei, it's a lot harder to tell. I'd almost say the deuteragonist in that game is Yukari and Junpei combined.

Meia

Second most important character in P4 = Nanako

Not sure you can classify an antagonist as such, because it's kind of a "No shit!" thing. Without one, you kind of don't have a story to begin with.

PK Gaming

We should have more of these discussions. They're fun.

EDIT:
Well, the term deuteragonist just comes from when greek playwrights decided to add the amazingly revolutionary idea of a second character to their plays. It's basically "the second character". I would feel that Yosuke definitely fills this role in P4. With Junpei, it's a lot harder to tell. I'd almost say the deuteragonist in that game is Yukari and Junpei combined.

I agree with the first part. I think Arena (and the original P4 to a certain extent) make it clear that Yu(the protagonist) has a strongest relationship with Yosuke, out of anyone in the investigation. They pretty much kickstart the investigation team together, and lead it side-by-side, hence why I throw my support behind him being the deuteragonist.

Sophia

Like I said above, the deuteragonist in Persona 3 is Aigis.
Her actions literally start the story, and are a big source of development in the story for most of the second half.
That's before The Answer too..

Ikutsuki
is the tritagonist. Which should be obvious.
He didn't start the story, but he is a significant driver of much of it, even after his death.

Persona 2 and Persona 3 are much more clearly defined in this regard.

We should have more of these discussions. They're fun.

They certainly do beat people doing silly list wars of something off-topic. About a medium so vast that doing a list is fundamentally pointless unless your reference pools are extensively small. :p

Said lists are great for finding new ideas tho!

I absolutely agree with Aigis being the deuteragonist in Persona 3, she fits the definition perfectly.
As is
the ideal Maki
in Persona,
I'm really curious to see if we're going to see more of her in Persona 2, hope she is saved at the end of the game.

I'm about to beat the final boss, that is... if I could actually manage to reach it! >:[
Damn Hell Eyes spamming enemies again.

kewlmyc

Am I too late for the top 10 anime list? I'll exclude Miyazaki movies since that seems like cheating :p

1. Baccano!
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Gurren Lagann
4. Madoka
5. Welcome to the NHK
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
7. Samurai Champloo
8. Mushishi
9. Darker than Black
10. Fate/Zero

Personal Fave: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni

The issue with the deaths in P3 is that the characters that are dying aren't developed enough to evoke any emotions.
I couldn't care less for
Shinji
Chidori
or
Mitsuru's dad
. Sure, I felt bad for the people affected, but since
Junpei
was being a complete and utter dick at the time, I didn't give a rats arse about him.

As it stands, the most effective death in a Persona game has to be
Nanako
as she was actually well developed and tied close to the character even without the social links... Someone you'd want to protect.
I'm happy that she
came back to life
, but that part of it was badly written.

sasliquid

Oh cool an actual junpei vs Yosuke war. Sign me up to team Brosuke.

I'll be boring and defend my choice as personal preference but I just find him to be one of the most relatable characters in a game I've played. Flawed yet likeable. By the end that friendship was so strong that I felt kinda bad not having a compable one in real life.

Advantages Junpei has
1. That one brilliant scene
2. That Hat

Also I'm not a big anime guy so here's my top 5...

1. Trigun
2. Baccano
3. Azumanga diaoh
4. Cowboy Bebop
5. Death note

Specialno6semi-seriousjkanswer. Yugioh Gx

FluxWaveZ

As it stands, the most effective death in a Persona game has to be
Nanako
as she was actually well developed and tied close to the character even without the social links... Someone you'd want to protect.
I'm happy that she
came back to life
, but that part of it was badly written.

That death might have been the most emotional for me when it first occurred, but I disagree that it was the most effective because of the way it was handled when all was said and done.

For most effective death in the series, I would rank (Persona series spoilers - P2 and P4)
Maya's above Nanako's
because, despite how it practically came out of nowhere, what it leads into was fantastic as well as the scene itself.

dkoy

Having never played the P2 duology (P4 Spoilers ahead),
Nanako's "death"affected me the most but I already knew she'd survived because of P4A so there wasn't as much impact.

If we're gonna have a junpei vs. yosuke war i'm in with da man, because he seems more human and relatable to me than brosuke in that he has his own problems throughout P3 (just like the rest of the P3 cast). Actually I just like the P3 cast more than P4 and I think I've said this already.

EDIT: woops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom