• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I wouldn't say so, no.

Like I've said lots of times before, Persona's character designs have been getting more and more fashionable. Most of P1 and P2's designs weren't at all (Because that's not what Kaneko goes for, obviously).

That's fair, fashion has definitely improved throughout the series, and I understand what you mean in a "trendy" sort of way. But I feel that the main characters have always been relatively "attractive". I think I see your line of thought, though.

However, that concept makes Igor's strangeness all the more important. He really should stick out in a "trendy" world, given that he represents an amazingly weird concept. He should be unsettling, and I feel that anyone who would have control over the velvet room should maintain that strangeness.

Kazzy

That's fair, fashion has definitely improved throughout the series, and I understand what you mean in a "trendy" sort of way. But I feel that the main characters have always been relatively "attractive". I think I see your line of thought, though.

However, that concept makes Igor's strangeness all the more important. He really should stick out in a "trendy" world, given that he represents an amazingly weird concept. He should be unsettling, and I feel that anyone who would have control over the velvet room should maintain that strangeness.

The man already lost his bone phone, someone has clearly been in his ear.

Another Igor is possible. Old associates are unlikely I think.

Modern Persona is all about attractive people. Igor is literally the only 'unattractive' (To whatever extent that applies to a cartoon drawing) key character there is.

You make it sound shallow

Soriku, Happy birthday dude!

Dantis

I guess. I have also wondered if he'll just redesign Philemon to look a little more stylish.

You make it sound shallow

Soriku, Happy birthday dude!

Designing characters to be appealing is shallow?

Persona 3 and 4 are meant to look cool. The menus, the interface, the environments and obviously, the characters. No room for heart boobs, yellow suits and To The 1 any more.

Lunar15

I guess. I have also wondered if he'll just redesign Philemon to look a little more stylish.

Persona 3 and 4 are meant to look cool. The menus, the interface, the environments and obviously, the characters. No room for heart boobs, yellow suits and To The 1 any more.

Y'know, it's kind of interesting that this topic even came up. In the thread about "favorite large women", people were talking about how Persona 4 has a really backwards view of ugly and fat people, by making them unimportant comic relief characters. I'm not saying this is invalid, but I can only think of that one girl being used as comic relief because she was fat. Other than that, I'm not sure I see the issue other than, yes, many people in Persona are incredibly attractive.

There is a general trend to scrutinize past works for unintended disrespectful undertones, but I believe this is largely misplaced. While many works can absolutely offend due to the fact that they were made by people who might not have even considred offending someone, the issue is more that we need to correct these moving forward, not lambast people who were trying to send an entirely different message. I try to scrutinize the intended message and judge a game on that. But it's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Then again, I'm prone to defend the series from its own faults. Like say Yosuke's casual homophobia and all issues people have with the way Kanji was portrayed. I'm more likely to downplay these issues because I do genuinely like the writing and I've personally felt that the game's theme goes in a different direction than people think. I think if the game used these as character defining traits that were constantly brought up I'd have more of an issue, but the series is based on the fact that you find depth in all of your party members. This, I think, is its saving grace. I'm open to understanding that this is my own bias interfering, however.

Dantis

Y'know, it's kind of interesting that this topic even came up. In the thread about "favorite large women", people were talking about how Persona 4 has a really backwards view of ugly and fat people, by making them unimportant comic relief characters. I'm not saying this is invalid, but I can only think of that one girl being used as comic relief because she was fat. Other than that, I'm not sure I see the issue other than, yes, many people in Persona are incredibly attractive.

There is a general trend to scrutinize past works for unintended disrespectful undertones, but I believe this is largely misplaced. While many works can absolutely offend due to the fact that they were made by people who might not have even considred offending someone, the issue is more that we need to correct these moving forward, not lambast people who were trying to send an entirely different message. I try to scrutinize the intended message and judge a game on that. But it's all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Then again, I'm prone to defend the series from its own faults. Like say Yosuke's casual homophobia and all issues people have with the way Kanji was portrayed. I'm more likely to downplay these issues because I do genuinely like the writing and I've personally felt that the game's theme goes in a different direction than people think. I think if the game used these as character defining traits that were constantly brought up I'd have more of an issue, but the series is based on the fact that you find depth in all of your party members. This, I think, is its saving grace. I'm open to understanding that this is my own bias interfering, however.

I never found anything in Persona offensive.

If people want to get riled about it, they're free to, but I do dislike it when they say "Why aren't you offended by this? You're clearly being x-phobic by not being upset!".

Personally, I found the stuff with Yosuke amusing, but I think some people interpreted it differently than how I did.

So apparently GameSpot and Polygon think Ellen Page: The Video Game is better than the Last of Us.

I guess TLoU didn't have enough emotions for them.

I really dislike review scores. They should just scrap them completely.

So apparently GameSpot and Polygon think Ellen Page: The Video Game is better than the Last of Us.

If that whole game was filled with everyone being played by Willem Dafoe I'd totally buy it and download the day 1 Green Goblin DLC

Buddha on IRC said:
<brooooo> Beyond: Two Dafoes

So if someone could fund a game full of Willem Dafoes, yeah... I'd get it

^As I am the one who suggested that title, I would have it be the movie Face/Off but with just Dafoes

Persona_4_The_Ultimate_Mitsuru.jpeg

INB4 Not Soejima, I don't care.

and yes, making a world full of good looking people and making the only bad or ugly looking people either complete jackasses or antagonists is rather shallow

Dantis

and yes, making a world full of good looking people and making the only bad or ugly looking people either complete jackasses or antagonists is rather shallow

Disagree, and neither of those images proves anything.

Arena's art is goofy, and the Chie picture is an alternate costume.

You know, those maid outfits aren't stylish either. The high-cut armor too! Lack of style everywhere! :O

EDIT: And those images are Soejima, as it happens.

Disagree, and neither of those images proves anything.

Arena's art is goofy, and the Chie picture is an alternate costume.

You know, those maid outfits aren't stylish either. The high-cut armor too! Lack of style everywhere! :O

EDIT: And those images are Soejima, as it happens.

Like it or not thats how your stylish p3 characters turn out. I don't even get why P4 is "supposed" to be stylish, the are supposed to be in sort of backwater small town, as I recall, those tiny ass towns are not the height of fashion, it doesn't fit.

And yes, name a single ugly person who isn't deplorable, a slob, a jerk, or an antagonist in P3 or P4.

PK Gaming

Yeah i'm not going to lie, Hanako's character basically boils down too "haha look at this fat ugly bitch, haha haha!" Not that I personally have a problem with her portrayal (i'm a dick, haha) but I can see why people who would dislike her portrayal. If you ask me, she should have gotten a social link.

Kind of a shame that people feel that Persona team likes to take jabs at fat people, when both Ai and Nozomi's social links literally deal with the pressures of being "that fat kid" in a sympathetic light. I dislike Nozomi, but his social link was good.

As for the main characters looking incredible attractive... This is a JRPG, it's par for the course hahaha!

Tamanon

Banned
Like it or not thats how your stylish p3 characters turn out. I don't even get why P4 is "supposed" to be stylish, the are supposed to be in sort of backwater small town, as I recall, those tiny ass towns are not the height of fashion, it doesn't fit.

And yes, name a single ugly person who isn't deplorable, a slob, a jerk, or an antagonist in P3 or P4.

Nozomi from Persona 3 wasn't really one of those.

Lunar15

However, both major antagonists in P4 are relatively attractive.

EDIT: I was going to bring up Shu from P4, but looking at his portrait he's drawn fairly attractive.

PK Gaming

I think as a whole, Persona has moved away from creating blatantly ugly characters.

The vast majority of the P3/P4 characters range from looking fairly normal (most NPC/Social Link characters like Naoki and Kaz) to attractive. (main protagonists) Ugly sonovabitches like Mooroka is an exception, because his concept precedes the design. Basically, if I were in charge of creating pure joke characters, i'd be more inclined to make them look silly.

So yeah, Persona is moving away from creating "ugly" ugly characters, because people aren't like that in real life. (Yes, I know this is subjective but the majority of the people I see in public are capable of making themselves presentable). For what it's worth, previous Persona characters were guilty of this as well. (Principle Hanaya, The doctor from Persona 1,
Tatsuya Suduo
.)

BTW, do you want a good example of an awful person that's not blatantly ugly?

300px-P3P-MrEkoda.png

Fuck this guy.

Lunar15

Let's get real guys, the Investigation Team were really the "Plastics" of Yasogami High. Sitting together at the cool hangout spot? only doing things with each other? It's obvious they were the mean crowd.

So I'm in my first playthrough of P4G, and I'm trying to farm the Reaper for the first time. I'm doing the Yukiko's castle method, and have no trouble getting the chains to start sounding, but I just can't seem to find the damn Reaper! I understand how it all works, but I''ve reset and ran through to the 22nd chest probably 20 times, and the thing just won't spawn. 

Is my difficulty setting screwing me over? Should I wait for NG+ or Magatsu Inaba to do this? Am I just being screwed by the RNG? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Levito

Banned
The investigation team was a click of sorts--then again I think the vast majority of people in high school only hang out with a select group of friends.

Different reviewers.

fertygo

I'm always irked by reaction with stuff like "Oh Yosuke is homophobic, what a douche" in regard to some joke at camping event.. Its just feel like its a matter of cultural bridge between western and eastern society, with country like USA being extra sensitive with thing like that atm

In asian country political incorrectness is a big part in their comedy, they playing thing like ugliness and such as joke banter, including stuff like sexuality and such.. Most of comedy stuff in their TV are comedian with various gimmick insulting and act rude to each other.

Their usual joke between friend also can be rather rude in commoner ear, because its sound like personal jab sometime like "No wonder you fired at your job" etc
Its funny for them because its incorrect to do at their usual activity, against their norm to not act rude or insulting people especially with commoner.. With friend and family they can be more rude but tolerating with each other already deep into their core eitherway.

tl; dr, many thing are just playful for us asian and not really mean to offense

^Thats how the US was until recently too, with its shift towards political correctness. Friends tend to still joke and poke fun at each other in that way still though.

So I'm in my first playthrough of P4G, and I'm trying to farm the Reaper for the first time. I'm doing the Yukiko's castle method, and have no trouble getting the chains to start sounding, but I just can't seem to find the damn Reaper! I understand how it all works, but I''ve reset and ran through to the 22nd chest probably 20 times, and the thing just won't spawn. 

Is my difficulty setting screwing me over? Should I wait for NG+ or Magatsu Inaba to do this? Am I just being screwed by the RNG? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Try searching up Yukiko's Castle Reaper P4G, it will save your sanity.

Also, I'm not saying that having a ton of stylish looking good looking people is bad, rather, a tad boring.

fertygo

How you make "unattractive" character anyway, I think its rather hard to do in any media..
Even for passer by in movie that only walking by one sec at movie/TV they're already looked attractive by virtue thanks to camera framing and such that affecting your immersion.

Character like Kaz/Nozomi/private tutor kid also already looked "special" when you look them at their portrait frame, even with their design that not supposed to attractive.

Levito

Banned
Having a homophobic character like Yosuke shouldn't be offensive in and of itself. It's like saying Django unchained is offensive cause there's racist characters within it. It's all part of having characters with layers and depth, Yosuke is a very insecure teenager--many of us knew someone that would've reacted or thought just as he did at that age. Yosuke really is a bit of an asshole--the campout scene is only 1 of many examples, it's all part of his insecurity.

What is actually troubling however is when prejudice against minorities is coming from the actual creators. There are times in P4 specifically has some--let's just say 'problems' representing certain groups IMO. Not that we really need to get into this debate again though.

Hey Beyond: Two Souls is full of 'unattractive' characters, maybe give that a shot? :p

Having a homophobic character like Yosuke shouldn't be offensive in and of itself. It's like saying Django unchained is offensive cause there's racist characters within it. It's all part of having characters with layers and depth, Yosuke is a very insecure teenager--many of us knew someone that would've reacted or thought just as he did at that age. Yosuke really is a bit of an asshole--the campout scene is only 1 of many examples, it's all part of his insecurity.

What is actually troubling however is when prejudice against minorities is coming from the actual creators. There are times in P4 specifically has some--let's just say 'problems' representing certain groups IMO. Not that we really need to get into this debate again though.

Hey Beyond: Two Souls is full of 'unattractive' characters, maybe give that a shot? :p

But is it dark for the sake of being dark?

Levito

Banned
But is it dark for the sake of being dark?

Ehhm well uh--you see, Beyond is about the emotional experience of David Cage as he pretends to be..You know ehhh an auteur in the film indus--eh mean gehmes industereh. It ish very.. It ish very intereshting eeh that it would be like that.

Haha, Levito you totally called that game sucking a few months ago

That's not all---nevermind.

*snrk*

Ehhm well uh--you see, Beyond is about the emotional experience of David Cage as he pretends to be..You know ehhh an auteur in the film indus--eh mean gehmes industereh. It ish very.. It ish very intereshting eeh that it would be like that.

That's not all---nevermind.

*snrk*

Does it feature an undead Neo fight a Mayan matrix hobo and the internet in Kung fu wire fights

Squire

Banned

Nah. Different games are reviewed by different people is all.

Some of you are so mature with certain topics and incredibly childish with others.

Levito

Banned
Ish intereshting you all mock mock ze Cage... But you fail to eeeeh, SEE--Quantuc Dream ish making all the emtional experience now. For eshample, I'm quite proud to announce that eehh Kojima-san is bringing me on for a new project.

So eh, pretty get used to thez eareh of gaming, the earah of Cage.

Scrafty was joking, which I should've got . That post was unlike him.

I hope to get a career in that industry, so I sure hope I know that there are more than one reviewer per site ;P

It's okay, though. I don't have enough polygons to be angry about that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom