• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Oh yeah. Since I was fiddling around for screenshots today, I thought I might as well share the good ones i grabbed.

fIIUZRA.jpg

PmqbZ8V.jpg

P9zcNqM.jpg

9VP9YYH.jpg

From an art design standpoint, P4 holds up fucking fantastically scaled up.

cj_iwakura

Does Nocturne really have better graphics then P4?

It's more cel-shaded than pixelated, so it's kind of a stylized preference, but dungeon design? Absolutely, the scale of Nocturne's dungeons trumps anything in P3 or P4. You can look into the sky and see spires and skylines reaching miles into the distance.

P4 has some neat ideas, and thank god they went back to unique dungeons, but let's be honest: they're basically reskins of tunnels over and over and over.

Trigger

I haven't played Nocturne yet, it's on my backlog. Why does everyone fear Matador again? He can't be worse than the boss that apparently gives himself more turns.

He's the first guy to remind you that weaknesses and buff/debuffs really matter. For most he's a lot harder than previous enemies, and he's a freaky skeleton in a matador costume.

^Don't forget he shows up with like no warning.

I haven't played Nocturne yet, it's on my backlog. Why does everyone fear Matador again? He can't be worse than the boss that apparently gives himself more turns.

Mot, that boss you are talking about, is actually pretty easy. Matador is a rude awakening for those who aren't familiar with how Megaten works. without buffs and debuffs, he will tear you apart. If you got your Megaten fundamentals down though, Matador is actually manageable and not too bad. There are quite a few bosses in the PS2 megaten games that give themselves more turns at random with Dragon Eye, and other Eye skills.

VhsWBiJ.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Megaten and other harder RPGs used to "PRESS X TO AWESOME HEAL AS NEEDED" he ate them alive. For those of us who were mentally, emotionally, and physically capable and ready, he was a great teacher.

Squire

Banned
VhsWBiJ.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Megaten and other harder RPGs used to "PRESS X TO AWESOME HEAL AS NEEDED" he ate them alive. For those of us who were mentally, emotionally, and physically capable and ready, he was a great teacher.

Also, The Social Network is a phenomenal film.

What were the other two? It was tops for me. Just re-watched it a few nights ago, actually.

Toy Story 3 and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

*Flameshield up*

For the record, my top 10 favourite films are (in no particular order other than the first):

Hot Fuzz
Toy Story
To Kill A Mockingbird
Scott Pilgrim
2001: A Space Odyssey
Koyaanisqatsi
Spirited Away
Terminator 2
Children of Men/Flowers for Algernon (it changes daily)

Meia

VhsWBiJ.jpg

Ah, that was my baptism by fire to the series.

And yeah, the pic came out great.

Dantis

I am indeed, though I couldn't say when. Colouring is the worst part of drawing a picture, haha. By the time I've done the lineart, I just want to start on something else.

cj_iwakura

Don't know if anyone else is crazy enough to play SMT If on the J-PSN(it's currently free), but if you want to: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/563025-shin-megami-tensei-if/faqs/28827

That's a really solid guide.

My Tamaki got agility! :D

(Keep in mind SMT If is literally Persona Zero, since it created the 'guardian spirit' mechanic.)

Well would you look at this.

PRODUCER
COZY OKADA
ART DIRECTOR
KAZUMA KANEKO
DIRECTOR
KAZUYA MUKAE
DESIGN SUPERVISOR
SHIGENORI SOEJIMA

cj_iwakura

I started playing the SFC version a while back, but I guess if I should play any SMT before IV, it should be one I've never finished.

The PS1 version is really sharp.

smtif-psx3.jpg

Lots of neat spell effects and sprite animations(they're static, but crackle with electricity and stuff like that).

Like this crazy fool:

ohtsuki-1.png

He gradually becomes more of a robot each time you fight him.

ohtsuki-2.png

cj_iwakura

What does PersonaGaf think of Shoji Meguro? Alot of old-school fans seem to dislike him.

They're crazy, his score for Nocturne was his best work, and everyone loves Nocturne. I like his shredding style from Raidou and Nocturne more than his J-pop Persona style, but he did great stuff like Heartbeat, Heartbreak and Your Affection from that too, so I think he's great across the board.

Question, the If FAQ has Japanese characters, but they're showing up as symbols for me. I think it'd be great help for my understanding the game's item lists and such, so how can I get stuff like " 「ゴンズピストル」(Gonzo Pistol)" to appear as Japanese?

cj_iwakura

He's boss, look back in this thread theres a entire post where we discuss/link his work.
Why old-school fans don't like him?

There's some sentimental attachments to old-school composers like Tsukasa Masuko and Kenichi Tsuchiya, but the latter still works at Atlus, and it's not like Meguro hasn't liven up to their standards.

The Soul Hackers OST really is one of a kind though.

cjkeats

What does PersonaGaf think of Shoji Meguro? Alot of old-school fans seem to dislike him.

I've said many times. The music is one of the many things that drew me to Persona. There's a reason his music is in my iTunes top played. He's fantastic. Such a great range too coming from Nocturne to Persona.

Meia

Meguro is amazing, and he's about the only thing I listen to atm.

Yeah, VLR, Laura Bailey is amazing.
Luna ending = ALL the feels. :(

PK Gaming

Lineart complete!

Really feel like this is my best picture by a good margin.

I think so too. You've drawn Makoto Yuki and FeMC in your own style, yet they also look similar to their source art. (the eyes in particular; they're really well done) Of course, i'm using the term "similar" rather loosely (i'm comparing your art to Soejima) but I definitely get that sense of "Persona art" that drawing, moreso than any of the others. (if that makes any sense)

Daimaou

I absolutely love Meguro, he's without a doubt my favorite VG Composer.

Question, the If FAQ has Japanese characters, but they're showing up as symbols for me. I think it'd be great help for my understanding the game's item lists and such, so how can I get stuff like " 「ゴンズピストル」(Gonzo Pistol)" to appear as Japanese?

It's a character encoding thing. I don't know what browser you use, but in Firefox it's under Web Developer > Character Encoding. UTF-8 is the one you're looking for.

cj_iwakura

I absolutely love Meguro, he's without a doubt my favorite VG Composer.

It's a character encoding thing. I don't know what browser you use, but in Firefox it's under Web Developer > Character Encoding. UTF-8 is the one you're looking for.

I have Firefox, but I don't see a character encoding option under web developer.

cj_iwakura

Second option from the bottom, above Work Offline. It's possible you're using a different version and it's elsewhere.

Found it. Under View in my version. Thanks!

Just had my first death. Got a Cait Sith and that horse deity with the robe.

Thanks Charon. (Not)

Favourite composer. I have praised him an absurd amount over my time on this site.

You can literally ask anybody who even slightly knows me.
Yep Mod needs to give you tag for your dedication and ability to change almost any thread to a praise thread to his music XD

Squire

Banned
So, TGS is in early October this year. P5 will be revealed before then (unless plans change behind the scenes, yet again).

That Persona concert is on August 13, right? And SMTIV is out real soon on July 16.

I think P5 will be announced in an issue of Famitsu that hits between these two dates.

cj_iwakura

So, TGS is in early October this year. P5 will be revealed before then (unless plans change behind the scenes, yet again).

That Persona concert is on August 13, right? And SMTIV is out real soon on July 16.

I think P5 will be announced in an issue of Famitsu that hits between these two dates.

Much too long to wait. But I guess we've made it this far.

Trigger

Solid reasoning.

We're anticipating a 2014 release aren't we? =/

A 2013 announcement and release is a bit fast by Atlus standards.

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't really think that if we're to roll with the assumption that the game would be revealed before TGS (which, I'm not totally on board with), but it's possible.

There's the SMTIV NA launch on July 16. The Persona Music thing on August 13. Gamescom on August 21. The rumored PS4 event before TGS. And finally TGS on September 19.

A 2013 announcement and release is a bit fast by Atlus standards.

How so? Both Persona 3 and Persona 4 were announced and released within the same year. Recent trends indicate otherwise, though, yeah.

cjkeats

I can agree with this thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom