• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

I'm looking forward to Project Diva F 2nd, Gravity Rush 2, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Exstetra and Freedom Wars. I'm ultimately very glad I got the system.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm looking forward to... DanganRonpa and Gravity Rush 2, I guess. Oh, and Ys. I'd say Trails in the Sky 2, but I'm looking at picking that up for PC.

Trigger

Freedom Wars and the FFX/X-2 games are just about the only Vita titles that I'm very excited for. I might import Vita TV if it's not region locked too. Golden and Uncharted would look amazing on my new tv.

kewlmyc

Dear god, it's like Kawaii overload. Fucking ninja kitty cats.

Kind of crazy to think Muramasa is probably my GOTY this year.

It's fantastic, but there's been way too many fantastic games this year (Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, MGR:R, Ace Attorney Dual Destinies) for me to give it to Muramasa. It's the best Vita game this year hands down though.

Freedom Wars and the FFX/X-2 games are just about the only Vita titles that I'm very excited for. I might import Vita TV if it's not region locked too. Golden and Uncharted would look amazing on my new tv.

I think all the touch controls will prevent Uncharted from being ported.

Dantis

It's fantastic, but there's been way too many fantastic games this year (Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, MGR:R, Ace Attorney Dual Destinies) for me to give it to Muramasa. It's the best Vita game this year hands down though.

This is how I feel. It's been an astounding year for games. Muramasa is great, but it's not in the running for GoTY for me.

Levito

Banned

Infinite is something I quite enjoyed when it came out, revisiting it and giving it a lot more thought made reposition my feelings on it though. Not really a fan any anymore. The others you listed I understand though.

This year has been kind of disappointing with regards to games for me. Things like Infinite and Amnesia: AMFP ended up being big let downs. Was initially a let down with The Last Of Us but it's come back in my books. The promises that it evolved storytelling in games set my expectations really high. It's a fantastic story but the way it's told is exactly like The Uncharted series(heavy cutscene use). Was really hard on the gameplay at first too, but I think that may have been because I was playing Dark Souls at the time. Though I still think the partner AI isn't very good, and that the checkpoint system makes the game too easy.

I still need to play things like Gone Home and The Stanley Parable, maybe this weekend.

Meia

Infinite was really a game's story hurt by it's gametype. I loved the story, but the idiotic waves of enemies really put a damper on the entire game for me. I wanted to explore the world, not have endless waves of enemies. I played Bioshock before I played Infinite, and it really is night and day. Just that the enemies usually exist in the world already really add a lot to the feel of the game. Just because enemies can come endlessly via airboats doesn't make it fun gameplay. The worst thing of course is the game itself felt kind of inferior to Bioshock 1's gameplay as well(weapons didn't feel as good, powers weren't as interesting(even with the ability to combo them), and just the powers were sort of there instead of an actual part of the story kind of sucked.

Last of Us was baller though. Good game with a good story that's stayed with me long after the game's done. I can see myself playing through it again, I can't say the same for Infinite.

Lunar15

Guild Wars 2 obliterated my ability to play other games this year, so it's been tough. Wasn't a fan of Infinite, and I still haven't gotten around to Last of Us. I probably never will. No knock on the game, it's just that the subject material seems heavier than what I really want right now. Plus I'm not a fan of zombie games or all of the themes that are now per-requisite for a zombie story.

I honestly couldn't tell you my GOTY, but I hate the concept anyway. It's early though. ALBW hits a certain nostalgia point for me, and Tokyo EAD knows how to make a good mario. Not sure if either of those could be novel enough to be GOTY though.

Metal Gear Rising might win for best soundtrack though. Dang. After that, probably Fire Emblem Awakening.

kewlmyc

Agree with Bioshock Infinite, even though I liked the gunplay.

One thing I will admit is that I couldn't get into GTAV. At all. Not sure why, but the game just bored me. I might get it again during a steam sale if it comes to PC though. My GOTY will probably be Last of Us. I really dug the story.

In terms of pure dumb fun, I'd give it to Revengance, Xillia, and Muramasa though. Nothing beats coming home from work and beating/slicing the shit out of monsters until I went to bed.

Levito

Banned
*Something something Persona*

Bioshock actually contextualized enemy encounters within the story and the narrative, Infinite most certainly didn't. What's really depressing is Ken Levine saying if they could they would've not made the game a shooter but MO MONEY.

I also haven't played Saints Row IV or GTA V. Thought I don't like Saints Row to begin with so I doubt I'd like that.

Oh oh, I forgot to mention Dragon's Crown, fucking loved that game.

Guild Wars 2 obliterated my ability to play other games this year, so it's been tough.

I'm getting back into it full swing and if I could name it GOTY 2013, I would. Man I love GW2.

Moonlight

Banned
Probably have to give my GOTY to Fire Emblem: Awakening or something. The most sucked in I've been in a game since... uh, Persona 4.

Gazoinks

AAA GOTY Contestants I Have Played:
-Bioshock Infinite
-That's it

The life of a poor college student. >.> Really want to check out Gone Home and Stanley Parable soon, those're both up my alley. Also more affordable.

Marche90

The life of a poor college student. >.> Really want to check out Gone Home and Stanley Parable soon, those're both up my alley. Also more affordable.

My man. Finally someone else who shares my pain.

Probably have to give my GOTY to Fire Emblem: Awakening or something. The most sucked in I've been in a game since... uh, Persona 4.

I concur. When I sold my 3DS that game alone had more than a 100 or so hours poured in. Soooo good.

I still need to play most of the great ps3 games that came out this year, but priority no. 1 is to buy Valkyria Chronicles (I might buy this tomorrow, btw). Have I mentioned that this was the game that sold me the ps3? Well, that and it has way more rpg's than the xbox.

Lunar15

FE: Awakening was probably one of the better games I played all year, but it was a disappointment compared to previous games in the series. Wasn't as well written (story, not dialogue), and the gameplay wasn't as complex or challenging, even on harder modes. Dialogue and characters were some of the best in the series, though.

cjkeats

I'm saving my game of the year for the podcast if I'm invited on that episode.

Should be pretty obvious if you follow me on twitter and seen me gush about it over and over.

Levito

Banned
I'm saving my game of the year for the podcast if I'm invited on that episode.

Should be pretty obvious if you follow me on twitter and seen me gush about it over and over.

EA Spoats NHL 2014K you're Canadian therefore that's your game of the year.

Jintor

Feels like I haven't had a clear standout this year. Lot of games I enjoyed playing but most of them were either niche specific to me or I thought other people liked way more than I did.

Levito

Banned
FK4nB1x.png

I've played very few new games this year, and take that already small number and turn it into a fraction for how many weren't fighting games lolol. Off the top of my head the only brand new non fighters I played this year were Dragon's Crown and Guacamelee. I dunno if I can say anything as a game of the year wish such a small pool to work with

lol

cj_iwakura

Puppeteer is wonderful but Last of Us is in the running for my favourite game of all time. I think it is, in my eyes, the best game ever made, but there are a few games that I probably like more than it, like Persona 4 and The Witcher 2.

*IS SHOCKED*

It allows one thing The Last of Us doesn't: player agency. I despised how forced a lot of that game's events were.

Dantis

*coughs*
This may or may not be fact.

Mhmm.

I still love your avatar by the way. Every time I see it I'm impressed.

It allows one thing The Last of Us doesn't: player agency. I despised how forced a lot of that game's events were.

Welcome to scripted narratives, darling. You couldn't tell a story like The Last of Us and have any kind of control of the events. It would be unfeasible. Choices mean the creation of more content, which means that logically choices have to be far apart (In terms of morals and whatnot) to justify the extra content. In the situations where a choice might have been applicable in The Last of Us (And I can really only think of the ending), there's only one thing that Joel would do, and that's what he did. You can say "Oh, well that's not what I would have done." and that's fine. But it's also not the point. You're not Joel.

There's a lot more to it than that, obviously. But it boils down to infeasibility, and to an extent, it is literally impossible.

As an aside, I'm kind of surprised that you played through The Last of Us. Doesn't seem like your type of game.

cj_iwakura

Mhmm.

Welcome to scripted narratives, darling. You couldn't tell a story like The Last of Us and have any kind of control of the events. It would be unfeasible. Choices mean the creation of more content, which means that logically choices have to be far apart (In terms of morals and whatnot) to justify the extra content. In the situations where a choice might have been applicable in The Last of Us (And I can really only think of the ending), there's only one thing that Joel would do, and that's what he did. You can say "Oh, well that's not what I would have done." and that's fine. But it's also not the point. You're not Joel.

There's a lot more to it than that, obviously. But it boils down to infeasibility, and to an extent, it is literally impossible.

I respect that's the kind of game they wanted to make, but I can still consider it a flawed direction. I always like games that allow players to influence things, however slightly. I consider Growlanser 2 among the best at this. You can even join the enemy faction if you want to.

Levito

Banned
*coughs*
This may or may not be fact.

Fuckin' weeb and your underaged girl poking simulator.

It is pretty fun, I got a bunch of my bro friends playing it one night, was hilarious.

Welcome to scripted narratives, darling.

*Dantis said and he clapped with glee, the peasants humbled by his presence*

You couldn't tell a story like The Last of Us and have any kind of control of the events. It would be unfeasible. Choices mean the creation of more content, which means that logically choices have to be far apart (In terms of morals and whatnot) to justify the extra content. In the situations where a choice might have been applicable in The Last of Us (And I can really only think of the ending), there's only one thing that Joel would do, and that's what he did. You can say "Oh, well that's not what I would have done." and that's fine. But it's also not the point. You're not Joel.

Yeah that's kind of the problem with calling it the Citizen Kane of gaming when Last Of Us is the antithesis of the notion that it broke ground like Citzen Kane did. A completely linear narrative like the Last Of Us's isn't the best fit for gaming, at least in the sense that it really doesn't play to the strengths of the medium.

Dantis

I agree. You still shocked Dantis?

Stunned beyond words, Mike!

I respect that's the kind of game they wanted to make, but I can still consider it a flawed direction. I always like games that allow players to influence things, however slightly. I consider Growlanser 2 among the best at this. You can even join the enemy faction if you want to.

I think, in general, I prefer linear stories. I feel like it's hard to create an impact in a story where you can say "Oh, I'll just reload, do it another way, and fix this".

Last of Us' ending was so divisive because it said "This is how it ends" and some people didn't like that. I see that as a successful ending, if nothing else.

cj_iwakura

Stunned beyond words, Mike!

I think, in general, I prefer linear stories. I feel like it's hard to create an impact in a story where you can say "Oh, I'll just reload, do it another way, and fix this".

Last of Us' ending was so divisive because it said "This is how it ends" and some people didn't like that. I see that as a successful ending, if nothing else.

By the way, I remember the exact moment where TLoU's tunnel vision annoyed me.
When Joel's brother offers him the photo.

If I don't get a choice, don't create that impression.

Meia

By the way, I remember the exact moment where TLoU's tunnel vision annoyed me.
When Joel's brother offers him the photo.

If I don't get a choice, don't create that impression.

I really agree with this. In a game that wants to tell a story in that fashion, I get the reason why you give no player choice, but it removes the player from the character. This is problematic when the gameplay itself is all about being the character and the emotions it stirs up. :p

I can say it was successful because of that, and it was. If I wasn't bothered by some of the things Joel did, then the game failed on some level. Even bothered as I was, I understood why he does what he does when control is taken away. For me the glaring moment was ENDING SPOILERS
taking Ellie from the table away from the doctors, you HAVE to kill one but I kind of just left the other two alone since I was given the option to, then the next scene plays out as it does.

Ultimately, you can't dance around player choice. Either I have it all the way, or I don't, don't give me a choice in gameplay and then the very next scene have Joel do something that contradicts what I just did. :p

Necrovex

Puppeteer is wonderful but Last of Us is in the running for my favourite game of all time. I think it is, in my eyes, the best game ever made, but there are a few games that I probably like more than it, like Persona 4 and The Witcher 2.

Someone needs to play 999 before stating such insane things.

I loved The Last of Us, but I have so many other games that I would list as Game of the Forever before that one.

Finally done. It was amazing. When does the next round of "Convince Dantis to watch this" starts?

I kid, I kid

We first have to convince him to watch 'Welcome to the NHK.' He'll realize how similar he is to Sato and Yamazaki. Then everything will fall into place as he will finally watch LWA.

cjkeats

Mhmm.

Mhmmmm yes.

He's holding up his glasses because his ears are too high to hold them. Hilarious.
Fuckin' weeb and your underaged girl poking simulator.
It is pretty fun, I got a bunch of my bro friends playing it one night, was hilarious.
All I have left is to spend some time petting the dudes for the platinum trophy.

Squire

Banned

Agree with this 100%. If a developer they'd like to tell, I'd like to hear it the way they want to tell it as that's very likely the best way to do so. The interaction comes in the mechanics and that's why I like games. I like to be a player, but I also enjoy being an audience member.

You could argue I like to have my cake and eat it too. That's fair and true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom