• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I guess what I'm getting at is that what happens in most popular media is different from actual bigotry. Now, bigotry of all sorts is still a very real problem in society -- but I'm not sure I'm willing to buy that just because a female character in an anime or game is showing skin that it's sexist or contributing to the oppression of women. It's just so... toothless, I guess. I just don't think it's quite the same thing. And that's even disregarding the fact of the weird hangups people have about sex and nudity, especially in the US.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaleGaze

Levito

Banned
I'm not even talking necessarily about intent. Intent when it comes to media is largely kind of irrelevant. What you aim to say in a piece and what the observer takes away from it do not always overlap. Though this isn't to say there aren't steps one can take when making media to make your intent much more apparent.

I guess what I'm getting at is that what happens in most popular media is different from actual bigotry. Now, bigotry of all sorts is still a very real problem in society -- but I'm not sure I'm willing to buy that just because a female character in an anime or game is showing skin that it's sexist or contributing to the oppression of women, especially in one that frames it properly with its writing and tone. It's just so... toothless, I guess. I just don't think it's quite the same thing. I'm not even going to say that it's a better or worse phenomenon, just different. And that's even disregarding the fact of the weird hangups people have about sex and nudity, especially in the US.

Representation of women and minorities is a really tricky thing to talk about in general. It's already a complex social issue to begin with, but it only gets even more complicated once you add people's emotional reactions to the mix.

Fake Edit: This is also why I digressed earlier. This post was much longer than I initially intended.

Real Edit: Not happy with this post upon rereading it, added a bit more nuance. Still not happy with it. Oh well.

It's cool, I get what you're saying. I don't really agree with you, but you've articulated your points well enough.

We'll just leave it at that. I haven't seen KLK so I'm not making any sort of claims about it.

Daimaou

That's... not an argument? It's poor directing, especially in a piece with a serious tone, but it doesn't really rebut what I was saying.

It's cool, I get what you're saying. I don't really agree with you, but you've articulated your points well enough.

We'll just leave it at that. I haven't seen KLK so I'm not making any sort of claims about it.

Yeah, I'm aware my opinion on the matter is kind of strange.

Edit: I'm going to bed, anyone who really wants to pursue the conversation can shoot me a PM and I'll get to it tomorrow. I've derailed the thread enough as is.

Lemstar

The Soejima artbook was available for purchase from Amazon for a while earlier today. Anyone hear anything about a reprint?

I'm not accusing KLK of anything, more just wondering if some of the claims I'm seeing about it being really subversive have any merit to them.

It's not, really. It awkwardly tries to justify the content, but it doesn't do a very good job. It is impressive what Trigger is able to do with basically no money, and it's generally pretty fun when it isn't being totally grody.

The Soejima artbook was available for purchase from Amazon for a while earlier today. Anyone hear anything about a reprint?
Surely not if they're gone now, unfortunately.

Seems the Arena artbook release date has been moved up to December 3rd though.

Somewhat interesting article from Siliconera about Atlus: Who’s In Charge Of Atlus Now That Sega Owns It?

Interesting implications that they're not using the Sega Dream Corporation name.
So they changed the name... only to change it right back? Huh.

Nachos

It's not, really. It awkwardly tries to justify the content, but it doesn't do a very good job. It is impressive what Trigger is able to do with basically no money, and it's generally pretty fun when it isn't being totally grody.

Yeah, this is the sense I get, too. It seems like they realized that they made a pretty standard action show (or what would appear to be one from the first few episodes), but then had the following conversation:
"We should have more girl butts front and center."
"I don't disagree, but how do we escape accusations of objectification?"
"Who says we should? Equal opportunity objectification for all sexes!"

It's a shame, too, because aside from those few moments, nothing would really stop the show from being a more all-ages show like LWA, since the two do have a lot of charm. Also, yeah, everyone should watch LWA if they haven't already. So good.

Oh, and does anyone know what Sega's doing with the rest of Index? I thought Atlus made the most money, but it seems weird to leave the other branches to fester.

Lunar15

I'll never get people who buy systems for one game

I have a personal rule that I won't even consider a console until it has at least 3 games that I deem "must have". Can't include ports of games I've already played.

For me, Wii U is just that point, so I feel comfortable looking for Black Friday sales or bundles.

Kinda shocked they haven't gotten rid of the Managing Director yet. Thought he'd be the first one out the door, but maybe Japanese corporations work differently.

Massive generalization here, but yes, Japanese companies do work fairly differently. They're pretty loathe to fire anyone. If someone's becoming obsolete, they lower their pay and strip them of responsibilities. Not a good system, if you ask me. But like I said, this is a massive generalization, and I'm sure not all japanese companies operate like that. Nor am I saying that's what's happening in this case.

Nachos

I bought my Vita for P4G only. Then I just so happened to love it, if that counts. I'm also guilty of this.
I collect old consoles and hardware, but not the games

Do you know why? I'm not making fun of you, but I'm just genuinely curious. I can see how it would be easier to collect the consoles than it would be to collect the games, but I guess for me a system is useless if it can't do the thing it was primarily built to do. As in, it's the games that make the console, not the other way around. Unless I just misunderstood you, and you do get some games, but aren't pursuing them with a Pokémon mentality.

Either way, what's in your collection?

kewlmyc

For people who only bought Vita for P4G, have you played any other game on it yet? Or did you beat P4G and haven't touched the Vita since.

Do you know why? I'm not making fun of you, but I'm just genuinely curious. I can see how it would be easier to collect the consoles than it would be to collect the games, but I guess for me a system is useless if it can't do the thing it was primarily built to do. As in, it's the games that make the console, not the other way around. Unless I just misunderstood you, and you do get some games, but aren't pursuing them with a Pokémon mentality.

Either way, what's in your collection?

I just love the hardware and all the diferent ways they work. All the differnet controllers, especially during the Gen 1 and 2 consoles. The only games I have for them either came with the purchase, or friends and family have bought them for me from carboots etc. Mega Drive is the only console I've actively gone out and bought CIB games for.

I have some pong machines and handhelds too, but these are the main ones.

Odyssey
Atari 2600 and 5200
Coleco Vision
Intellivision and Voice module unit
Vectrex
NES
Famicon
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Wii
Master System
Mega Drive I and II, 32x and CD
Jaguar
Saturn
Dreamcast
TurboGrafx
Neo Geo
CDI
3DO
Playstation 1, 2 and 3
Xbox and 360
Commodore64, if you count it.
and the most recent purchase, my Fairchild Channel F

For people who only bought Vita for P4G, have you played any other game on it yet? Or did you beat P4G and haven't touched the Vita since.

I have Soul Sacrifice, DJ Max and Muramasa Rebirth now. Played the latter two. Haven't really touched SS.

I bought FF tactics on the PS store and got NLKS from PS+ too.

Trigger

It's more or less taken on the niche of my old psp, so I use it pretty frequently. PS+ has just made the purchase even better honestly.

Tamanon

Banned

I'm going to start using mine more. Only have P4G, P3P and Wild Arms on it thus far. Need to get a bigger memory card, but I think my school situation is going to change enough to justify using the Vita a lot more. Right now, I have almost no downtime where I can play mobile games, since while at school I have class, then my co-op work all day. Switching schools in the Spring, I think I won't have co-op for a while.

Meia

Well, I bought it for it specifically, but the Assassin's Creed Vita was coming out just before it for it, so I paid gamestop over time every month or so to have it paid in full when it came out, so I guess that counts(white Vita FTW). I have bought a few games, though haven't played them. The only other game I really played on it(after finding out Liberation was a buggy unfun mess) was VLR.

Of course, I probably got my PS+ Sub in the first place because of the Vita purchase, so yeah, Sony wins. This was after having a PSP for forever, and I didn't want a Vita because I hate when companies remove features of a new console(no reason whatsoever for the Vita to not have a component out option like the PSP had).

New Vita games? Not interested in any, and I kind of hate Borderlands to begin with, so definite no on that.

PK Gaming

Just spoke to Yosuke via email today, that is a thing that happened.

tumblr_m7hoerOqQx1qmyxwxo1_500.png

Levito

Banned
By the way, Lotus Juice hasn't logged on FB basically since the day he said he'd do the cast--so still waiting on that one.

Cool, hope things work out. It'd be cool to get Yuri and maybe his wife too on the podcast.

You and your sneaky edits! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom