• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Ya know, before the kickstarter updated for little witch academia 2's today, I had no idea that the director for it is the one doing Kill la Kill. @_@

He's not, KLK is directed by Imaishi. Don't know what Yoshinari does on KLK, tho. Too bad no one ever translates credits. >.>

kewlmyc

Today has been a good day. Other than being sick at home that is.

T6oWB5b.jpg

todd360

Let's take bets on which system(s) persona 5 will be on. I'm betting ps4. Mostly out of blind hope. Oh yea xbone as well because dat cash.

ssshadow

Neo Member
Let's take bets on which system(s) persona 5 will be on. I'm betting ps4. Mostly out of blind hope. Oh yea xbone as well because dat cash.

I genuinely believe that it is going to be on ps4/xbone. It was stated that they made their own game engine. They would be crazy to develop new technology at the very end of the current consoles lifespan. Making an entire game engine which we can assume is capable of Catherine levels of graphical quality is probably expensive. There is no reason to develop it only to use it for Persona 5, and maybe something else, before the current generation is over. Especially since they could just use some existing technology and probably save a whole lot of money. There is also that Sony slide that had Atlus listed as a PS4 partner of some sort.

Well, at least I hope it is this way, of course I could be wrong in my assumptions about cost and effort. In any case, during the PS2 era they pushed out a lot off really good games which I assume were all based on the Nocturne engine (They all have problems with shadows when you run them i pcsx2, at least a while ago, so probably the same code). I would like to see a return to that. Can you imagine half a dozen nice looking SMT games on ps4/xbone over the next 10 years?

Moonlight

Banned
Crazy like releasing a PS2 game in 2008 was? ;)

And it's likely (in my mind, at least) that whatever engine/tool-set they're using for Persona will extend to every subsequent console release they make from that point on. Atlus isn't very financially ambitious. They'll probably shoot for the lowest common denominator in terms of "HD" and port up from there, not the other way around.

I expect a PS3/360 release and hope for Vita, essentially.

Meia

I think whichever it is, it's being released next year. Keep that in mind when you think what system it's out on. A PS4 means Sony helped a bit to get them up and running. I'd love to think that Sony cares that much about the brand, but yeah...

PS3 is the most likely outcome, maybe with Vita a possibility at launch/later with cross save in. I'd be shocked to see it on 360 or Xbox One just based on how poorly Arena sold.

Moonlight

Banned
something something PS3

KLK would probably be better if Imaishi were in the directors seat, haha.
But... Imaishi is. It has Imaishi all over it. :p

I think people are confused. Yoh Yoshinori is director of LWA and the yet-to-be-released LWA2, but roles in animation studios aren't static or fixed. A director or producer or key animator in one production might be anything else in another. As was previously stated, Yoshinori is responsible for set design in KLK, but he's also director of LWA2 (and production hasn't really started on that due to KLK). Imaishi is directing KLK, and I believe he was credited as producer on LWA.

ssshadow

Neo Member
Crazy like releasing a PS2 game in 2008 was? ;)
But this is different, all of the Atlus games during the PS2 era were made in the same engine (presumably). So needless to say they got a lot of use out of their investment.

And it's likely (in my mind, at least) that whatever engine/tool-set they're using for Persona will extend to every subsequent console release they make from that point on. Atlus isn't very financially ambitious. They'll probably shoot for the lowest common denominator in terms of "HD" and port up from there, not the other way around.

I expect a PS3/360 release and hope for Vita, essentially.

Every subsequent console release they make from that point on won't be all that many games if persona 5 is the first game, and it is released in 2014 on ps3. If it was released on ps4 however... Well, in any case, less than a month until we know for sure, I hope.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't follow. If Persona 5 is released on lower-spec hardware at lower costs (as HD development is expensive) on the PS3, I don't understand how a later up-port of the game and the engine to PS4 is less practical to a financially conscious development pipeline. Essentially, what I'm saying is that Atlus will develop their 'HD' toolkit for the lowest common denominator (being the PS3/360) and they can continue to use that toolkit throughout the next generation as well, assuming they go there at all within a reasonably quick period of time.

Necrovex

I didn't realize how quickly one could mash the enter key. It's a good thing I decided to close the blinds to the outside world. The moment I got to that *one* scene in Saya, I knew it was time to destroy my enter key. This is a game I'll probably play when everyone else is asleep.

Soriku

I genuinely believe that it is going to be on ps4/xbone. It was stated that they made their own game engine. They would be crazy to develop new technology at the very end of the current consoles lifespan. Making an entire game engine which we can assume is capable of Catherine levels of graphical quality is probably expensive. There is no reason to develop it only to use it for Persona 5, and maybe something else, before the current generation is over. Especially since they could just use some existing technology and probably save a whole lot of money. There is also that Sony slide that had Atlus listed as a PS4 partner of some sort.

Konami's Fox Engine is a current gen engine. From made a new engine for Dark Souls 2. They don't really care. Not to mention development on P5 started in 2010. You think Atlus was deciding on next gen development back then when they were still supporting the PS2 up till 2008?

Since this is Atlus they may support current gen consoles even after P5.

Squire

Banned
Sorry guys. I meant Yoshinari. (Not that I have anything against KLK. I love it for what it is.)

Also, Moonlight is right.

cj_iwakura

I think it'll be PS3/360. This is Atlus. They stick with last gen forever and a day, and I wouldn't have it any other way. They like to reach as many people as possible, and they only managed one game out of that era.

Levito

Banned
Looking forward to watching KLK, need to find out if it really is this transcendent female empowerment deconstruction of the male gaze masterpiece I've been hearing about....Or if people just don't like to admit they like something trashy. :p

Daimaou

Looking forward to watching KLK, need to find out if it really is this transcendent female empowerment deconstruction of the male gaze masterpiece I've been hearing about....Or if people just don't like to admit they like something trashy. :p

I wouldn't go that far, but it's pretty well written. The show uses sexuality in a lot of its designs and humor, but because the show is completely over the top nothing seems out of place. Think along the line of Bayonetta, if you need a reference.

Squire

Banned

It's pretty clever with its dialogue at times, but it is beholden to a lot of things that LWA seemingly rejected. I still really do like a lot as I said and I'm happy Trigger's getting work, but it's a little ironic that this is their first major project. Says a lot about the current state of anime, I think.

Daimaou

Note: Trashy does not badly written. :p

I'd argue otherwise. Just because something has overt sexual overtones doesn't make it "trashy," "tasteless," "sexist," or whatever other negative term you choose to throw at it. Subject matter, whatever it may be, should almost never be criticized. Execution is everything.

This is something that sticks in my craw, but I won't clog the thread with it. So I digress.

Levito

Banned
I'd argue otherwise. Just because something has overt sexual overtones doesn't make it "trashy," "tasteless," "sexist," or whatever other negative term you choose to throw at it. Subject matter, whatever it may be, should almost never be criticized. Execution is everything.

This is something that sticks in my craw, but I won't clog the thread with it. So I digress.

Actually there are -Lot's- of works of media that are really well written that are incredibly racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.(especially the farther back in history you go) Even right down the the technical proficiency of the writing is take into consideration.

Also, I didn't say anything about KLK--I just have a feeling people are overselling it.(maybe)

cj_iwakura

You have to know what you're getting into with shows like those. If I watch a show made by that guy, I expect there'll be over-the-top action and ridiculous fan service(though so far KLK is definitely equal opportunity).

If I watch a Yoshitoshi ABe show, I expect something more down to earth, if thought provoking.

Losing Ryutaro Nakamura was a grave blow.

Caladrius

I just have a feeling people are overselling it.(maybe)

It tends to happen with the more popular shows of the anime season. I think people just feel the need to evangelize for the medium. (And sometimes for good reason.)

Also Yoshitoshi is the best japanese name ever.

Daimaou

Actually there are -Lot's- of works of media that are really well written that are incredibly racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.(especially the farther back in history you go) Even right down the the technical proficiency of the writing is take into consideration.

Also, I didn't say anything about KLK--I just have a feeling people are overselling it.(maybe)

I think we're talking about separate things. Something that actually aims to be discriminatory as its subject matter is, of course, discriminatory regardless of how it's actually written. However, these things are pretty rare nowadays, and things that people get in an uproar over nowadays are more a case of lazy/bad writing than actively seeking to oppress a given subset of people.

Sorry if I came across as angry at you, also. Like I said, this is just something that bugs me.

kewlmyc

I can understand what you mean. The animation is wacky and great, but it seems to be blown out of proportion. It's a fun anime for sure but it's understandable if the tacky fanservice makes you want to not watch it. It's the same reason I don't force Bayonetta or Madoka on people. If people feel uncomfortable watching it, I can understand why.

Squire

Banned
It tends to happen with the more popular shows of the anime season. I think people just feel the need to evangelize for the medium. (And sometimes for good reason.)

Also Yoshitoshi is the best japanese name ever.

You know, I've been very disconnected from anime in the post-Toonami death/rebirth era. The animes that I like that and didn't discover through that are far and few between.

But I do think LWA is completely deserving of the praise it's received. That's 26 minutes worth of the kind of quality anime we deserve.

Moonlight

Banned
You know, I've been very disconnected from anime in the post-Toonami death/rebirth era. The animes that I like that and didn't discover through that are far and few between.

But I do think LWA is completely deserving of the praise it's received. That's 26 minutes worth of the kind of quality anime we deserve.
Speaking of, I took one look at the cases that the blu-rays came packed in and regretted so hard getting in on that LWA2 KS when I had the chance.

Levito

Banned
I think we're talking about separate things. Something that actually aims to be discriminatory as its subject matter is, of course, discriminatory regardless of how it's actually written. However, these things are pretty rare nowadays, and things that people get in an uproar over nowadays are more a case of lazy/bad writing than actively seeking to oppress a given subset of people.

Sorry if I came across as angry at you, also. Like I said, this is just something that bugs me.

Of course intent should be taken into consideration, but even if a writer isn't intending to be bigoted--doesn't mean they can't be passively. That's the really ugly thing with bigotry in general.

You didn't come across as angry, communicating what I'm getting at is kind of tricky right now.

To clarify once again: I am not saying any of this applies to Kill La Kill. I have not seen it.

I can understand what you mean. The animation is wacky and great, but it seems to be blown out of proportion. It's a fun anime for sure but it's understandable if the tacky fanservice makes you want to not watch it. It's the same reason I don't force Bayonetta or Madoka on people. If people feel uncomfortable watching it, I can understand why.

I'm not accusing KLK of anything, more just wondering if some of the claims I'm seeing about it being really subversive have any merit to them.

Daimaou

Of course intent should be taken into consideration, but even if a writer isn't intending to be bigoted--doesn't mean they can't be passively. That's the really ugly thing with bigotry in general.

You didn't come across as angry, communicating what I'm getting at is kind of tricky right now.

To clarify once again: I am not saying any of this applies to Kill La Kill. I have not seen it.

I'm not even talking necessarily about intent. Intent when it comes to media is largely kind of irrelevant. What you aim to say in a piece and what the observer takes away from it do not always overlap. Though this isn't to say there aren't steps one can take when making media to make your intent much more apparent.

I guess what I'm getting at is that what happens in most popular media is different from actual bigotry. Now, bigotry of all sorts is still a very real problem in society -- but I'm not sure I'm willing to buy that just because a female character in an anime or game is showing skin that it's sexist or contributing to the oppression of women, especially in one that frames it properly with its writing and tone. It's just so... toothless, I guess. I just don't think it's quite the same thing. I'm not even going to say that it's a better or worse phenomenon, just different. And that's even disregarding the fact of the weird hangups people have about sex and nudity, especially in the US.

Representation of women and minorities is a really tricky thing to talk about in general. It's already a complex social issue to begin with, but it only gets even more complicated once you add people's emotional reactions to the mix.

Fake Edit: This is also why I digressed earlier. This post was much longer than I initially intended.

Real Edit: Not happy with this post upon rereading it, added a bit more nuance. Still not happy with it. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom