• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

Yes, from all accounts its awesome, if you have a means of playing imports on your PS2 (or a legit copy on emulation.) Don't play it for the Soejima characters however. You play it for the huge list of crossover characters. :p

I can play imports in fact.

Unfortunately I don't know any anime from between 1999-2010. :/

kewlmyc

GMT +9. So

West coast USA (GMT-8): 3 AM
East coast USA (GMT-5): 6 AM
United Kingdom (GMT): 11 AM
East coast Australia (GMT+10): 10 PM

We should have a section in the OP for this.

If wrong please write terrifying guro doujinshi about me.

I just realized the 24th is a Sunday. HOORAY NO SCHOOL!

I was wrong previously. It's 6 AM on the 24th at EST. :p

I'm confused. According to this, it would be at 8am. Which is it?

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/to/jst/to-est/

PK Gaming

This logo completely gives away what it is: a game.

Anyway, I'm four hours into Innocent Sin and I just beat the first dungeon. I figure it's time for some impressions.

The presentation is pretty strong. Kaneko's art is somewhat crude compared to Soejima, but I still like the character designs a lot. The music ranges from good to great. I love the song that plays when you meet Eikichi's dad. The environment art could use more color, but it's consistent within itself so far, so it's fine.

The characters themselves are fantastic so far. Immediately likable, fantastically written. Yeah, I can't imagine how I'll feel about these guys at the end of the game if it manages to keep this up.

The fighting is interesting. I like Fusion Spells and setting the turn order. I'd love to see that in P5. I've spoken about demon negotiation before. It's a wonky system and a holdover from SMT. I don't hate it, it just isn't necessary. The inherent repetition in negotiating is annoying, too. Why do I need to sit there repeating the same action 3-4x for the desired result? That stuff doesn't branch out, so why can't I just do it once, appease the enemy or piss them off, and keep it moving from there?

This and the back and forth you need to do (at least in the first dungeon) are really obvious issues of bloat.

But I like it a lot so far. I don't mean to sound too down on it because I'm really not. So far, I think it's a really cool game and I'm glad I've finally gotten around to it.

Nice!

Yeah the characters are Persona 2's strongest aspect, and they only get better from here. (Though some of them truly shine in the EP, like Tatsuya)

I'm glad you're enjoying it, in spite of the random encounters/demon negotiation and all.

PS: You know, if you make it through Persona 2, you'll be on the other side. Our side, hahaha.

kewlmyc

I'm confused. According to this, it would be at 8am. Which is it?

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/to/jst/to-est/

*shrugs*

Who knows. It aint a big difference.

This is what I got off of timeanddate.com

Tokyo (Japan) Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 8:00:00 PM JST UTC+9
New York (U.S.A. - New York) Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 6:00:00 AM EST UTC-5
Corresponding UTC (GMT) Sunday, November 24, 2013 at 11:00:00

Screw it, I'll just wake up at 5am that day. I blame Daylight Savings Time for this.

Squire

Banned
Nice!

Yeah the characters are Persona 2's strongest aspect, and they only get better from here. (Though some of them truly shine in the EP, like Tatsuya)

I'm glad you're enjoying it, in spite of the random encounters/demon negotiation and all.

PS: You know, if you make it through Persona 2, you'll be on the other side. Our side, hahaha.

I know. Soon I'll have to *gasp* eat crow.

But seriously, it's turning out the way I envisioned it would. I'm only just now getting to it because with gameplay I have issues with aren't typically top priority for me.

I figured I'd like the story though after your impressions and Sctafty's as well. You guys have good taste.

Flandy

Anyone know if the Blu Ray version of the Persona 4 Anime is worth buying? I'm a bit hesitant to buy it since I've already seen it and it's like $60 total for both of them on Amazon. Special features/extras any good?

PK Gaming

I know. Soon I'll have to *gasp* eat crow.

But seriously, it's turning out the way I envisioned it would. I'm only just now getting to it because with gameplay I have issues with aren't typically top priority for me.

I figured I'd like the story though after your impressions and Sctafty's as well. You guys have good taste.

tumblr_msd06wLvow1spdy36o1_250.gif

Something something Persona 5, something something teaser site

so I ended up getting Metal Gear Rising from the birthday skeleton after all, and I was enjoying the game, was pretty damn fun. And then I get to the fight against Monsoon

Holy crap. That fight was just mind-numbingly awesome, everything about it was just too damn good. Can't wait to pick it back up tomorrow. Also thanks to anyone I missed earlier saying Happy Birthday, and to try and kinda veer this post back on persona, it looks like I got a podcast episode to listen to tomorrow too, should be good

Squire

Banned
Also thanks to anyone I missed earlier saying Happy Birthday, and to try and kinda veer this post back on persona, it looks like I got a podcast episode to listen to tomorrow too, should be good

It is. We talk all kinds of shit about Nintendo. /s

Glad you enjoyed your birthday, man.

Lunar15

After listening to it more, I'm still not a huge fan of the new Burn My Dread. I think they literally took the original and just laid a new drum line with some synth orchestration. Still seems a tad overdone.

Not the end of the world or anything, it's still a solid song, just not really a good remix.

On the other hand, that new song at the start of the most recent trailer is awesome, can't wait to hear the full version of that.

Moonlight

Banned
My friend made a much better one:
#dead

Holy crap. That fight was just mind-numbingly awesome, everything about it was just too damn good. Can't wait to pick it back up tomorrow. Also thanks to anyone I missed earlier saying Happy Birthday, and to try and kinda veer this post back on persona, it looks like I got a podcast episode to listen to tomorrow too, should be good
Not even the best fight in the game!

And since I forgot to say it before, happy birthday, dude!

Squire

Banned
Hey guys, the only persona I've fused in IS so far is Pixie and that was because the guide said so. Am I okay? Will that guide always say when to fuse more Personas?

Daimaou

Hey guys, the only persona I've fused in IS so far is Pixie and that was because the guide said so. Am I okay? Will that guide always say when to fuse more Personas?

IS Portable is really easy. You can go the entire game with the personas the game gives you during the story if you know what you're doing.

Didn't those charts someone posted in the last thread say that Soul Hackers was actually just a video game within another universe or something? (Inception noise goes here)

No SH totes takes place in the same universe as P3, Aigis even has a link on her MySpace page to Amami City's (the town from Soul Hackers) official website.

It doesn't matter, I just think it's cool. I get a kick out of stuff like that.

Dawg you're gonna love Eternal Punishment.

A word of advice: The Climax Theater stuff is terrible and you should probably just avoid it unless you just really, really, really want to see some new Soejima character designs.

Squire

Banned
Dawg you're gonna love Eternal Punishment.

A word of advice: The Climax Theater stuff is terrible and you should probably just avoid it unless you just really, really, really want to see some new Soejima character designs.

Do you mean that theater you can visit from the world map? I haven't been in there yet. I figure it's just bonus material, right?

I'm taking my time with the game, too. I think it was PK who said it was only 25 hours long or so, so I'm hoping to finish it by the time the teaser site goes live.

Not sure when I'll start EP, but that could change.

The Climax Theater was severely gimped in the US release. In the original Japanese version of the game, a handful of free dlc quests were released from various collaborators, but most importantly, ones written by the original writer of the series, Satomi Tadashi, were released for it. Also, you used to be able to create your own dungeons and quests and share them with friends. All cut from the US release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6OwqIyzgM

Also these songs are wasted, since they are only used in the theatre quests, and the game only came with 2 and we got no dlc or create a dungeons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvfcJjIUIqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-BA27yWX1o

The Climax Theater was severely gimped in the US release. In the original Japanese version of the game, a handful of free dlc quests were released from various collaborators, but most importantly, ones written by the original writer of the series, Satomi Tadashi, were released for it. Also, you used to be able to create your own dungeons and quests and share them with friends. All cut from the US release.

While I would relish the chance to see the P1 cast hijinks that Satomi Tadashi cooked up, it'd probably be the same incoherent, tedious mess like the ones already included in with the NA version because of the limitations of the creation engine.

Squire

Banned
Yu-Key. So it's closer to your first one. Japanese sounds are usually read as is and not stressed. I.E. Sa-Ku-Ra, not Sa-Kuur-A

Yeah, I know they relax their pronunciations. That second K just through me off for some reason. Don't know why I didn't think of Riku from KH and Rikku from FFX. Same situation there; The second K in Rikku's name doesn't matter.

Sophia

Yeah, I know they relax their pronunciations. That second K just through me off for some reason. Don't know why I didn't think of Riku from KH and Rikku from FFX. Same situation there; The second K in Rikku's name doesn't matter.

Aye, it's an issue of romanization, and in that case the letter is silent so yeah...

Meia

One of the biggest things that worried me playing IS at first after being used to the modern Persona ways of doing things, where keeping a persona for a long time is BAAAAAAAD. Fusion skills are really really good, one of the more broken ones are effected by the weapon the character that uses it has(this is even mentioned in the guide in terms of what to buy).

The only thing that almost got me with the guide is don't spread rumors unless the guide says to. There's a part where the walkthrough stops for a sec to say exactly which ones to spread. I mean this about the shop rumors, spread others as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom