• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Happy birthday CT!

What does that even mean!?

It means Pokemon spins more rhymes than a lazy susan, and it's innocent until it's guilt is proven. Representing Professor Oak straight the fuck up.

Again though, I've not played a pokemon game in years, it's all in jest. ;p

One of the main things I can respect Pokemon for is making a multiplayer, competitive turn-based RPG. I'm the last person to say games need multiplayer modes, but having a turn-based fight with your friends is amazingly fun.

Deadpool's grim reaper day has come! Congrats bro.

Everyone's favourite.

One of the main things I can respect Pokemon for is making a multiplayer, competitive turn-based RPG. I'm the last person to say games need multiplayer modes, but having a turn-based fight with your friends is amazingly fun.

I really want to start getting into battles in Pokemon. Not sure I can put the time into breeding though

even if I do treat the IRC like the fickle whore that I am!

Gotta stop being fickle, pickle.

kewlmyc

Well I guess it's my turn to take part in the time-honored tradition of posting the grim reaper with the abacus

iLdTk25.gif

I swear that I say this to myself every year, but it really doesn't feel any different being a year older than before. Maybe I'm just a poop though.

Happy Birthday CT.

Levito

Banned
Hey we did a "games of the generation" off topic episode of the podcast last night.

S.Link FM Episode 18: Casual Saturdays - Valkyria Chronicles is basically Waifu Wars

episode18.jpg

itunes, RSS, and the website here.

Armada's pick for best of Gen 7 is pretty wild, so enjoy that!

Marche90

Hey we did a "games of the generation" off topic episode of the podcast last night.

S.Link FM Episode 18: Casual Saturdays - Valkyria Chronicles is basically Waifu Wars

episode18.jpg

Ok, this one needs to be listened to, like, right now. Downloading, guys.

Also, relevant: playing VC for the first time now, 5-6 hours in, I'm pretty much in love with the game, as I was expecting to.

Necrovex

episode18.jpg

Oh. I should listen to this, and then start to complain at the lackness of 999.

Alicia is the best waifu too. She was the crux in my army.

Dantis

Random thought:

A lot of faith has been placed in the fact that there's only one logo on the page. Has anyone considered that that's maybe just because any other logo would completely give away what the announcement is?

Sophia

Random thought:

A lot of faith has been placed in the fact that there's only one logo on the page. Has anyone considered that that's maybe just because any other logo would completely give away what the announcement is?

Sure it's been considered, but there aren't a whole lot of potential logos that it could be. Most logos that would give away what the announcement are already accounted for elsewhere.

Caladrius

Random thought:

It could be, but I'm not sure why they would reserve a massive countdown like this for anything other than an internal project. Usually when there's multiple companies involved it's either a crossover or some side project that the development team for a main series game wouldn't have any experience in making, things that probably don't merit waiting this long to know about.

Dantis

Every time I start to get excited, I start to think that we should temper our expectations. I think some people are going to have mega tears if it's not P5 as it stands right now.

Trigger

Every time I start to get excited, I start to think that we should temper our expectations. I think some people are going to have mega tears if it's not P5 as it stands right now.

As long as there is a new game announced I'd be happy. It's been almost half a decade since P4 came out (I think), so it's not like I haven't become accustomed to waiting.

Caladrius

People are going to have mega tears no matter what happens, 'tis the nature of fandom.

I always go by the principle of "Be optimistic but never expect anything." If that makes any sense.

What I'm trying to say is that we should have some faith in what they're doing but never allow ourselves to have even the slightest concrete expectations for what we're going to see. Our visions are never going to be the same as the developer's vision.(As it should be.)

My experience in the Smash Bros. fandom during the Brawl era was a very big learning experience as far as hype goes.

Squire

Banned
Random thought:

This logo completely gives away what it is: a game.

Anyway, I'm four hours into Innocent Sin and I just beat the first dungeon. I figure it's time for some impressions.

The presentation is pretty strong. Kaneko's art is somewhat crude compared to Soejima, but I still like the character designs a lot. The music ranges from good to great. I love the song that plays when you meet Eikichi's dad. The environment art could use more color, but it's consistent within itself so far, so it's fine.

The characters themselves are fantastic so far. Immediately likable, fantastically written. Yeah, I can't imagine how I'll feel about these guys at the end of the game if it manages to keep this up.

The fighting is interesting. I like Fusion Spells and setting the turn order. I'd love to see that in P5. I've spoken about demon negotiation before. It's a wonky system and a holdover from SMT. I don't hate it, it just isn't necessary. The inherent repetition in negotiating is annoying, too. Why do I need to sit there repeating the same action 3-4x for the desired result? That stuff doesn't branch out, so why can't I just do it once, appease the enemy or piss them off, and keep it moving from there?

This and the back and forth you need to do (at least in the first dungeon) are really obvious issues of bloat.

But I like it a lot so far. I don't mean to sound too down on it because I'm really not. So far, I think it's a really cool game and I'm glad I've finally gotten around to it.

Dantis

Anyway, I'm four hours into Innocent Sin and I just beat the first dungeon. I figure it's time for some impressions.

The presentation is pretty strong. Kaneko's art is somewhat crude compared to Soejima, but I still like the character designs a lot. The music ranges from good to great. I love the song that plays when you meet Eikichi's dad. The environment art could use more color, but it's consistent within itself so far, so it's fine.

The characters themselves are fantastic so far. Immediately likable, fantastically written. Yeah, I can't imagine how I'll feel about these guys at the end of the game if it manages to keep this up.

The fighting is interesting. I like Fusion Spells and setting the turn order. I'd love to see that in P5. I've spoken about demon negotiation before. It's a wonky system and a holdover from SMT. I don't hate it, it just isn't necessary. The inherent repetition in negotiating is annoying, too. Why do I need to sit there repeating the same action 3-4x for the desired result? That stuff doesn't branch out, so why can't I just do it once, appease the enemy or piss them off, and keep it moving from there?

This and the back and forth you need to do (at least in the first dungeon) are really obvious issues of bloat.

But I like it a lot so far. I don't mean to sound too down on it because I'm really not. So far, I think it's a really cool game and I'm glad I've finally gotten around to it.

The actual in-game portraits are drawn by Soejima. Kaneko didn't do any of the art in the actual game.

It's a really, really cool game. Some people just hype it up to be a lot more than it is.

What I'm trying to say is that we should have some faith in what they're doing but never allow ourselves to have even the slightest concrete expectations for what we're going to see. Our visions are never going to be the same as the developer's vision.(As it should be.)

Wise words THAT SOME SHOULD FOLLOW *cough*Ron*cough*

Those characters are Kaneko designed, Soejima drawn. I think Doi or someone else redrew the portraits for the PSP versions though.

You can see how future characters are influenced by some of those guys. Love that cast!

Demon negotiation and Spell Cards actually worked better and were more painless in P1. In P1, all you had to do was get the card once, then get another card, and you fuse two of them together as you would fuse two Persona's in P3 and 4. In P2, instead you get a small number of an arcana of cards, and the numbers you need for Personas grow very high later on, making it far more grindy. I have no idea why they did this.

There is a reason why I talk up the first dungeon as being one of the weaker ones for that very issue. There are a few dungeons that are trouble spots like that, but for the most part they are fine. They do get very big and maze like later on, if you can deal with that and the encounter rate, it's fine, if you can't its painful.

Glad to see you tackling it. Ever think of trying out P1 and P2EP?

It's a really, really cool game. Some people just hype it up to be a lot more than it is.

WHO MIGHT THOSE PEOPLE BE?!

Squire

Banned
The actual in-game portraits are drawn by Soejima. Kaneko didn't do any of the art in the actual game.

Oh, that's interesting. Must be the whole "emulating someone else' style" I guess.

And yeah, that definitely sums up how I feel about it so far.

Edit: Yeah, buddha, totally. Lisa immediately struck me as the genesis for Chie and Rise. Eikichi's got some Yosuke and some Kanji in him. Yeah, the influence is clear. That's another thing I like a lot. They clearly took these tropes, split them, and iterated from there.

I bought EP off PSN the day it released.

Lunar15

Random thought:

I've definitely thought of this, but there's already a separate website for Ultra Suplex Hold.

Caladrius

I think Sophia said it was actually going to go live on the 25th at 6AM PST or something.

I don't know JP time difference.

GMT +9. So

West coast USA (GMT-8): 3 AM
East coast USA (GMT-5): 6 AM
United Kingdom (GMT): 11 AM
East coast Australia (GMT+10): 10 PM

We should have a section in the OP for this.

If wrong please write terrifying guro doujinshi about me.

I just realized the 24th is a Sunday. HOORAY NO SCHOOL!

Gazoinks

That's 5am PST. I'm going to wake up after the announcement and, either through excitement or disappointment, this thread'll probably have gone insane.

Squire

Banned
Oh, by the way. I was checking out Regnedai before I started going through Sevens, since there's a lot of optional dialogue in the game. I noticed when I went to the Ramen shop (where you meet Mr. Mishina) that one of the guys eating there is also a Persona-user. When I went to the police station I noticed both Tamaki and the chief are Devil Summoners. The fact it's the Kuzonoha Detective Agency also caught my attention. Tamaki looks familiar to me, too.

So, it seems like Sumaru is a lot more upfront about the paranormal aspects of the fiction. People seem to be aware of that stuff, to an extant (there are clearly oblivious characters still).

And what's the deal with devil summoning? I've said before I like to play those games. They're set in the 1920's, right? Is Raidou the first devil summoner? Are those games in the save universe/timeline as P2?

Sophia

The Kuzonoha Detective Agency is a reference to the Devil Summoner game series, and Tamaki was the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei If. She also appeared in the first Persona game, and makes a cameo appearance in Persona 3 on the TV show. Daisuke Todoroki, the chief of the Detective Agency, is actually possessed by Kyouji Kuzunoha, the main character of the first Devil Summoner game.

There are four Devil Summoner games. The first one never got an English release. The second one is Soul Hackers. The third and fourth ones are the Raidou games, and are set in the past. All four of them, alongside Shin Megami Tensei If basically take place in the same continuity as the Persona games.

Sophia

Who's the girl on the bottom right?

The two characters on the right side are the protagonists for Another Century's Episode 3, an anime cross-over action game for the PS2. Most of the characters were cross-overs from their respective animes, but the few original characters were done by Soejima.

Squire

Banned
The Kuzonoha Detective Agency is a reference to the Devil Summoner game series, and Tamaki was the protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei If. She also appeared in the first Persona game, and makes a cameo appearance in Persona 3 on the TV show. Daisuke Todoroki, the chief of the Detective Agency, is actually possessed by Kyouji Kuzunoha, the main character of the first Devil Summoner game.

There are four Devil Summoner games. The first one never got an English release. The second one is Soul Hackers. The third and fourth ones are the Raidou games, and are set in the past. All four of them, alongside Shin Megami Tensei If basically take place in the same continuity as the Persona games.

I see. Very interesting lore.

Caladrius

The two characters on the right side are the protagonists for Another Century's Episode 3, an anime cross-over action game for the PS2. Most of the characters were cross-overs from their respective animes, but the few original characters were done by Soejima.

Is the game any good?

Totally not checking it out for the sole purpose of the character designs.

EDIT: It's also important to note that the DS continuity is an alternate history. The Taisho period the Raidou games take place in lasts longer than it did in real life.

Oh, by the way. I was checking out Regnedai before I started going through Sevens, since there's a lot of optional dialogue in the game. I noticed when I went to the Ramen shop (where you meet Mr. Mishina) that one of the guys eating there is also a Persona-user. When I went to the police station I noticed both Tamaki and the chief are Devil Summoners. The fact it's the Kuzonoha Detective Agency also caught my attention. Tamaki looks familiar to me, too.

So, it seems like Sumaru is a lot more upfront about the paranormal aspects of the fiction. People seem to be aware of that stuff, to an extant (there are clearly oblivious characters still).

And what's the deal with devil summoning? I've said before I like to play those games. They're set in the 1920's, right? Is Raidou the first devil summoner? Are those games in the save universe/timeline as P2?

Yes, every single location you go to where there is no battling and your party members are there, has dialog with every character. Also, it tends to change dialog almost in any location you can talk to them, whenever anything happens or the plot progresses. There is a metric fuckton of optional dialog. Tamaki Uchida is the protagonist of this game:

7892896910_3b55ee42d5_z.jpg

In that game, you could choose the characters gender, the canon one is a female named Tamaki Uchida.

The Devil Summoner and the Persona games and SMT If... seem to take place in the same universe. Devil Summoner seems to take place in the 90's, but that one is only in Japan so it is hard to tell. Devil Summoner Soul Hackers on Saturn, PS1 or 3DS (the one that came out in English!) seems to take place either in modern day or in the future. No date is given, but the city is very futuristic. The two Devil Summoner Raidou games on PS2 do indeed take place in the 1920's.

Sophia

Is the game any good?

Totally not checking it out for the sole purpose of the character designs.

Yes, from all accounts its awesome, if you have a means of playing imports on your PS2 (or a legit copy on emulation.) Don't play it for the Soejima characters however. You play it for the huge list of crossover characters. :p

Squire

Banned
Didn't those charts someone posted in the last thread say that Soul Hackers was actually just a video game within another universe or something? (Inception noise goes here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom