• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Most people will be ecstatic, a couple individuals will proclaim how bad it is cause it's not like P2.

It's a shame, keep wanting to go back and play P2, the elitism is a big turn off though, ah well.

Only way P5 announcement would be upsetting is if it was exclusive to the Wii U.
Or a handheld.

Half of me thinks there's no way P5 will disappoint me.

The other half recalls Arena and Golden.

Trigger

I do wonder what the reaction to a 5 would be if we found out there would be no social link system at all, either. They did say that there was going to be significant changes to the formula for 5, right?

No way they dump social links. Revamp them? Sure. I can't see them removing the one thing that really made P3/P4 stand out from most modern RPGs.

According to the stats on my player sign up sheet,
coughcoughSHAMELESS GODDAMN PLUG
so far 20 percent of people who filled out the category for the poll are gonna use Elf, possibly more than that since not everyone filled out the category and others have Elf and one other class. But yeah I expect a lot of elfs.

I'm getting the PS3 one and representing #TeamDorf. The only question is will I have the time during the early weeks. SMT4, ToX, and Steam Sales have left me tight on time. :O

Wishful thinking. While the extra features I mentioned earlier would be nice, no more ports would be great.

In all honestly, the AI isn't that big a problem once you learn when and when not to use Rush and get a good grasp of what each tactic does. It still pisses me off though when an AI would target each shadow one at a time with a weakness instead of using the all hitting version of the spell.

The AI is a problem as you can never rely on it. You are always being fought by it. Yukari and Mitsuru can never be good main healers as their infamous Ice/Wind Break and Marin Karin are also on Heal/Support tactic, wasting turns and mana. Don't even get me started on topping off the MC who's at 2/3 health while 2 are near dead against an enemy fond of party-wide attacks...

Sophia

Half of me thinks there's no way P5 will disappoint me.

The other half recalls Arena and Golden.

You're going to be disappointed if you don't expect them to continue the
Nyarlathotep
plotline from Arena. It'll be a new cast, no doubt, but there's no way they're not gonna bring that up again.

cjkeats

I will be pleased regardless. I can't think of anything that would possibly upset me about it when it gets revealed.
Only time will tell if it'll be a disappointment after playing it.

Just remember what Maya taught us.

Omikaru

Only way P5 announcement would be upsetting is if it was exclusive to the Wii U.
Or a handheld.

No matter what platform P5 is on, people will be upset:

- The rabid lunatics who shit up every Persona thread will be pissed off if it's not on a Nintendo system, because apparently at this point it's destined to be because of reasons. But no big loss; they weren't going to play the game anyway.

- If it's on a Nintendo system then a lot of Europe will be annoyed due to the region lock.
-- If it's 3DS, an even larger group of people will be upset because they want to see a graphical improvement on P4, which you won't get on 3DS.
-- If it's on Wii U, the butthurt will die down in America once they see the game and it looks awesome; just gotta suck it up and buy the console.

- If it's on a handheld, people will be upset because it's not on a console.

- If it's on PS3, people will be disappointed it isn't on PS4.

- If it's on PS4, people will be disappointed it isn't on PS3.

- PC gamers will be port begging if it's not on PC.

- If it's exclusively on mobile, Xbox 360, or Xbox One, everyone will be mad.

I think I've covered pretty much all bases there. The only way people aren't going to get mad is if the game is on every platform.

Dantis

Just don't go into it wanting to hate it and you should be good. ;)

Unless it's on Wii U, in that case fuck that noise.

You didn't see me when Arena and Golden were announced. I was hyped as all fuck.

And just look at me now.

Nyarlathotep
plotline from Arena. It'll be a new cast, no doubt, but there's no way they're not gonna bring that up again.

I think they'll continue that aspect, but only that aspect. No Shadow Workers, Investigation Team etc.

And I'm fine with that. More than that in fact, because it might lead to an actually decent narrative.

I will be pleased regardless. I can't think of anything that would possibly upset me about it when it gets revealed.
Only time will tell if it'll be a disappointment after playing it.

Just remember what Maya taught us.

Considering that you even love True Story, I'm inclined to agree, haha.

Sophia

I think they'll continue that aspect, but only that aspect. No Shadow Workers, Investigation Team etc.

And I'm fine with that. More than that in fact, because it might lead to an actually decent narrative.

Shadow Operatives are totally in, I think. But that doesn't mean the P3 cast has to be. Investigation Team is out for sure. There's just nowhere to go with them after Persona 4, and Persona 4 Arena proved that.

They should work on not having them hamper the pace, disrupting the narrative and existing in a bubble though

I disagree that they hamper the pace or disrupt the narrative for the most part, but yeah it would be nice if they stopped existing in a bubble. Incorporate them into the story a bit more, like how Persona 4 Golden handled Adachi's social link in the later ranks. And absolutely NO more social links like Marie's....

kewlmyc

They should work on not having them hamper the pace, disrupting the narrative and existing in a bubble though

Social links developments that are actually brought up in the main storyline would be awesome. It's probably out of Atlus' reach though.

Shadow Operatives are totally in, I think. But that doesn't mean the P3 cast has to be. Investigation Team is out for sure. There's just nowhere to go with them after Persona 4, and Persona 4 Arena proved that.
How so, I thought the game ended
with them "officially" getting back together
. Even though I doubt their effectiveness if TVs aren't involved.

Nyarlathotep

I wouldn't mind the plot line made by Arena be continued in like a P5 arena while P5 does its own thing, but it will probably just be the main thing in P5, then again that would require the cast of Arena to return seeing as this is now their new mission

Squire

Banned
I mean, I know it's been awhile since 4 came out, but I think it's things like that have led to this much of a rush to get ANY actual P5 info.

They made Catherine, then they built an engine, then they probably spent another year in pre-production, and then Aeana said Index' financial drama has pushed the reveal back on multiple occasions.

So all that is why it's taken so long. The actual design of the game very likely has nothing to do with it.

Dantis

If Shadow Operatives are in I'm going to be mega sadface.

Sophia

How so, I thought the game ended
with them "officially" getting back together
. Even though I doubt their effectiveness if TVs aren't involved.

Yeah that happened, but it was pretty lousy. Outside of Yu and Naoto, there just wasn't much of a purpose for being there even in Persona 4 Arena itself. It's a side-effect of Persona 4's story mode being very self-contained in contrast to the previous games.

If Shadow Operatives are in I'm going to be mega sadface.

Count on it. It'd be extremely poor writing to introduce the Shadow Operatives and then have them drop off the face of the planet.

cjkeats

What if the Shadow Operatives or Investigation team had a role like the Kuzunoha Detective Agency in P2? Nothing for newbies, but big cameo for veterans?

Meia

What if the Shadow Operatives or Investigation team had a role like the Kuzunoha Detective Agency in P2? Nothing for newbies, but big cameo for veterans?

Still waiting for that one big moment where the Shadow Operatives and the IT sit down at a place and discuss things with the cast from the earlier games, if they do indeed follow through with the Arena setup.

I like to consider this a best case scenario. I'd settle for some cameos from either cast if 5 deals with the Arena story with a whole new cast.

3 featured a group that knew exactly what personas were, and eventually found out what shadows were. 4 reversed this really, where they knew what shadows were earlier, but didn't really understand the idea of personas. I wonder which direction 5 with a new cast would move in? Not to mention if they're going to change Igor all things considered.

What else is there to do?

As the makers of ME3 decided, SPECULATION IS FUN! :D

Dantis

Count on it. It'd be extremely poor writing to introduce the Shadow Operatives and then have them drop off the face of the planet.

Nah.

They're hidden. In the shadows, like.

If P5 is all Shadow Operatives then the narrative already has me somewhat uninterested. Not that that would ruin the game of course, because P3's narrative is pretty awful and I still love the game. But I'd rather it had a P2 level narrative.

cjkeats

Can that work the same way? A detective agency is completely inconspicuous; A "Shadow Operative" is something one would need to inquire about.

I'm sure they could play it off in a similar way "Oh you guys have Personas. So do we, here let us help you".

If anything Naoto shows up as a mysterious detective
on her robot bike
and drops hints, sells weapons, etc.

Sophia

Can that work the same way? A detective agency is completely inconspicuous; A "Shadow Operative" is something one would need to inquire about.

They had the Nanjo Group in P2 on top of extensive P1 characters, so it's not unreasonable to have the Shadow Operatives in P5.

You can do cameos and such without destroying or taking over the narrative. :p

Levito

Banned
Dantis, Dantis... Wait till the bloody thing is shown at least!

Also, there's no way you will be uninterested in Persona 5 (regaurdless of the content) when you post in a Persona Community thread nearly everyday. :p

Squire

Banned
They had the Nanjo Group in P2 on top of extensive P1 characters, so it's not unreasonable to have the Shadow Operatives in P5.

You can do cameos and such without destroying or taking over the narrative. :p

I agree. I'm guess I'm just curious how they play that as a minimal element of the story (assuming it is indeed minimal) considering, you know, what they are.

I disagree that they hamper the pace or disrupt the narrative for the most part, but yeah it would be nice if they stopped existing in a bubble. Incorporate them into the story a bit more, like how Persona 4 Golden handled Adachi's social link in the later ranks. And absolutely NO more social links like Marie's....

Most of the character development in p4 happened in those links and in scenes outside of the s links they would revert back to their slink rank 1 selves, it was a step back from 3 in that regard.

Lunar15

To be honest, I don't really care too much about what they might change.

I like the team that works on these games. I trust their writers, artists, designers, and musicians. I'm willing to go where they want to go.

PK Gaming

There should be a 5 year time skip, if that's the case. As per usual, the Persona 4/3 cameos should be limited to 1-2 characters at most.

Squire

Banned
Most of the character development in p4 happened in those links and in scenes outside of the s links they would revert back to their slink rank 1 selves, it was a step back from 3 in that regard.

That seems like a stretch. I'm not the exact same person when I'm with a friend, or a group of friends, or my parents.

I mean I'm behaving differently in a different setting. That's human.

kewlmyc

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. It's one of the things I didn't like about P4 compared to P3. Other than facing their shadows, none of the main characters have any character development outside their social links.

Why don't characters in anime and games ever have an eye infection

Pus leaking out of one eye anywhere

Realism!

Please tell me you have gone to the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom