• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems like a stretch. I'm not the exact same person when I'm with a friend, or a group of friends, or my parents.

I mean I'm behaving differently in a different setting. That's human.

It is a repeated complaint by many people of P4, I get what you mean, but it is a noted weakness of the game.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. It's one of the things I didn't like about P4 compared to P3. Other than facing their shadows, none of the main characters have any character development outside their social links.

tumblr_mjmtdykKvx1qe9g4mo1_500.jpg

kewlmyc

Yes, the irony in SE announcing that while Atlus gets shit for supposedly releasing harem games was not lost on me.

To be fair, it's an mobile game that no one outside of Japan will ever play.

I don't even think it's present, but to each his own, I suppose. *shrug*

It isn't really present, but there are some vibes. For instance, I went back to finish Golden today after not playing for 5 months and the scene where they're fighting over who is going to ski with Brotaganist feels like something out of a harem vn.

On a side note, the P3 reference during the ski trip was greatly appreciated.

Meia

Catgirl

Even better - a meido catgirl

Dog girl. Koro gets a waifu.

It isn't really present, but there are some vibes. For instance, I went back to finish Golden today after not playing for 5 months and the scene where they're fighting over who is going to ski with Brotaganist feels like something out of a harem vn.

You mean one of those scenes that the people who made Persona 4 originally aren't responsible for? :p

The volume issue is being addressed in future episodes, so just bear with it for now. It's due to a recording mishap that we now know how to correct.

Sophia

Hey guys.

Guess what's up.

I'll be uploading 1 or 2 episodes a day from now on, providing PK and my schedules don't get in the way.

I'll repeat what I said in chat. Not a bad first episode, but you need to sort out the volume issue. It keeps increasing and decreasing, and worse, your voices are drowned out by the game itself. Also PK mumbles a bit too much, so that might be something to practice on.

In general, speak as if you're speaking to friends, not as if you're speaking to an audience. :)

I can't wait to see you guys do more!!! I love duo/group LPs. :3

kewlmyc

You mean one of those scenes that the people who made Persona 4 originally aren't responsible for? :p

Whether or not the original people behind P4 wrote it or not, it made it into P4G therefore it still counts. Still, it isn't that big of a deal, not enough for P4 to be considered a full blown harem game. It still has some harem tendencies though.

Trigger

Shadow Rise is still one of my favorite bosses. I hope the shadow as the Other Self still gets played up in P5. I don't feel like that theme was as strong in P3 as it was in P4/P2.

Good news! My project of ripping all the P4 audio and forming it into a basic audiobook is going well! I just got up to
Nanako's death
, but the bad news is that from here on out, I actually have to pay more attention, because of the additional japanese audio mixed throughout, and the branching endings. It's really clunky so far, as it gives audio for each dialogue response, so it can be a bit confusing, and there's also no background music or effects... just voice... but it'll suit my wants. I'll try to post it once I finish tagging and chaptering everything.

Squire

Banned
Good news! My project of ripping all the P4 audio and forming it into a basic audiobook is going well! I just got up to
Nanako's death
, but the bad news is that from here on out, I actually have to pay more attention, because of the additional japanese audio mixed throughout, and the branching endings. It's really clunky so far, as it gives audio for each dialogue response, so it can be a bit confusing, and there's also no background music or effects... just voice... but it'll suit my wants. I'll try to post it once I finish tagging and chaptering everything.

Wait, you're converting the dialogue into an audio book? This could be... alright? I'm trying to picture that story minus S. Links, which are 90% text.

Wait, you're converting the dialogue into an audio book? This could be... alright? I'm trying to picture that story minus S. Links, which are 90% text.

Story dialogue and beats, no S.Link stuff (since only rank 10 was spoken). Stuff like King's Game, the beauty pageant, all of the shadow confrontations, etc. I haven't gotten to it yet, but hopefully Adachi's ludicrous
"bitches"
speech, and so on.

Squire

Banned
Story dialogue and beats, no S.Link stuff (since only rank 10 was spoken). Stuff like King's Game, the beauty pageant, all of the shadow confrontations, etc. I haven't gotten to it yet, but hopefully Adachi's ludicrous
"bitches"
speech, and so on.

Good luck. I'm interested to hear that.

Dantis

Nanako's death

Man, PersonaGAF comes out with some crazy stuff.

Cool idea!

Tizoc

I've been wondering: In what Persona game is Igor's background or origin revealed? Is it ever? Cuz all I know about him is that he's in the Velvet Room and that's it.

Squire

Banned
I've been wondering: In what Persona game is Igor's background or origin revealed? Is it ever? Cuz all I know about him is that he's in the Velvet Room and that's it.

He and the other attendants are creations of Philemon. That's basically it.

Dantis

I have to say, I've really come around to Shadow World.

When I first heard it, I thought it was the weakest opening song by far. Now, I dunno. I feel like it's heavily representative of P4G, if not vanilla P4.

kewlmyc

I have to say, I've really come around to Shadow World.

When I first heard it, I thought it was the weakest opening song by far. Now, I dunno. I feel like it's heavily representative of P4G, if not vanilla P4.

I'm still not a big fan of the animation though.

.JayZii

Banned
Shadow Rise is still one of my favorite bosses. I hope the shadow as the Other Self still gets played up in P5. I don't feel like that theme was as strong in P3 as it was in P4/P2.

I'm not sure which I would want out of P5. I like the different approaches to the relationships between the characters and their personas between P3 and P4 though. In P3 the SEES group forcibly releases their persona by using an evoker. In P4 each character faces their shadow and gains control of their persona which they can then summon at will. The P4 characters earn their personas after their first character arc, then upgrade it after their second, social link character arc. Overall, this leads to a more familiar feeling with your characters and personas, there is no implication of a lack of control after a shadow has been defeated and a persona acquired. In P3 the personas felt a bit more dangerous, or at least more unpredictable (Orpheus stuffed with a Thanatos anyone?) . The characters did not face themselves to earn it, so there is more fear and uncertainty about releasing their inner self and showing it to others. Yukari in the beginning of the game is a good example of this; when she is the most standoffish at the beginning of the game is when she is the most uncomfortable/afraid of the evoker and her Persona. This is reasonable since one has to ostensibly shoot themselves in the head to use it, but her real fear was allowing others to see her inner self.

The characters of P3 have to more realistically open themselves up to each other in order to get to know one another. Whereas P4 sidesteps that whole setup by having the party see the worst in each other by way of their shadows. The acceptance of each other comes more quickly and easily in 4 because the characters know what everyone is dealing with on a personal level. In 3 all the characters felt like islands unto themselves which required more effort to get them to open up. The geographical location affects this as well. The city is frigid and the country is warm, when it comes to characters.

So it really depends upon what sort of themes they are exploring in P5. I get the feeling that they are going to mix things up again, though.

kewlmyc

you don't like bin yosuke dancing? shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame on you

bin yosuke dancing is shit, but rise, kanji and naoto have sick-ass dances to make up for it

Kanji, Naoto, and Rise are the only ones dancing. Don't even get me starting on whatever the hell Chie's doing.

It makes my knees buckle like an anime girl.
Oh God, the animation left him crippled.

you don't like bin yosuke dancing? shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame on you

bin yosuke dancing is shit, but rise, kanji and naoto have sick-ass dances to make up for it

Yosuke and Naoto's are the worst, and what the heck is Kanji even doing? The way Yu walks up at the start is pretty cool though.

And my god, I need to practise drawing eyes. Or at least how the gaze falls. I've redrawn Aigis' eyes so many times, and every time I think I've got it right I come back later and they look slightly off-kilter again. Might just give her a derp face and be done with it.

Dantis

Yosuke and Naoto's are the worst, and what the heck is Kanji even doing? The way Yu walks up at the start is pretty cool though.

And my god, I need to practise drawing eyes. Or at least how the gaze falls. I've redrawn Aigis' eyes so many times, and every time I think I've got it right I come back later and they look slightly off-kilter again. Might just give her a derp face and be done with it.

I have no idea how you can spend so long on one image. Once I pass about ten hours, I just say "Screw it, I'm done".

I have no idea how you can spend so long on one image. Once I pass about ten hours, I just say "Screw it, I'm done".

Well I'm training to be a concept artist so most of the time I'm doing quick-fire drawings. I chose this as a personal side project sort of thing, pick a professional style that's really different to what I usually do, no time limit, let's see how close I can get. So it was important I picked something I knew I wouldn't get bored of. Remember that Shadow Yukiko pic I started ages ago? That was dumped after about 5 hours. I'm determined to get this one right :p.

Hey guys, episode 2 is up. The sound errors are particularly present in Gekkoukan, but we beg you stick with it until the issues are resolved in Episode 5. The only way this run can go is up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Not sure if this is more of a Persona 4 thread, but I just got a Vita and loaded all 5 games onto it. Currently going through Persona 1 since it was always recommended to me in the PSX days but never got around to it. I also skipped Eternal Punishment on PSX since I couldn't rightly experience it without IS and now it is possible.

Persona 1 is dated, but kind of cool. Took a bit of time to wrap my head around the negotiation system as well as the combat structure. Essentially it has some real nifty ideas, but poor planning and execution. Negotiation is true trial and error, but the results can occasionally lead to some bonus surprises given the different emotional responses of the demons.

You pretty much always want to get an eager (yellow)response for their tarot card for fusion, but the road of guessing can lead to some blue, red, and orange results which can occasionally lead to funny dialogue or a bonus item when you do eventually stumble on the "yellow" contact menu option(which you spam once found). I suppose crazy fans may use the negotiation system to get rare items for min/maxing fusions...but the game hardly demands much attention given how imbalanced the combat is in the player favor.

Without press turn, weaknesses and immunities don't mean much and need not be super exploited for success, and in most cases guns or melee attacks can do obscene damage beyond the affinity system. So outside of what I imagine late game bosses and optional dungeons deliver, the whole fusion system and affinity bonuses aren't a big deal.

The game obsessively throws healing options and save points at the player relentlessly though(maybe a remake change?) which also messes up the balancing a bit. I rarely if ever feel low on resources.

Characters and world is charming though. Was stunned when the game gives you a massive choice a few hours in that segregates the entire game! Following the Snow Queen path or going after SEBEC is akin to choosing who to side with in Witcher 2 leading to completely altered game scenarios, playable NPC's, dungeons, endings, etc... It's an easy choice to miss, but one that at least allows for interesting replay.

Looking forward to moving through the rest and getting into P2 finally!

Tizoc

Having finally foud a guide for the Contact in Persona 1, I'm gonna restart my playthrough-
1- Talk to everyone in every location whenever possible
2- Focus on Contacting each and every enemy til I get all cards
3- Get all Persona to Rank 8 before fusing them

Guide in question:
http://persona1.wikidot.com/contactguide#toc0

For some reason Mark is becoming my fav. character atm:
For one thing he somehow starts the very first battle wielding a FREAKING AXE; WHERE THE FUCK DID IT COME FROM?
Also he dances crazy.

Tamanon

Banned
It was even worse in the original Persona 1 in the US, you couldn't even do the Snow Queen quest.

Yet the guide still listed it just to taunt you.

kewlmyc

Currently playing through Memories of Grief. The fact that you lose half HP after every fight, yet that's the only way to get breaker items and chest keys is a pretty neat feature. Too bad Hassou Tobi destroys nearly everything in the dungeon with 99 strength. Is the final boss of this dungeon immune to physical and if so, are there any physical breaker items?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Having finally foud a guide for the Contact in Persona 1, I'm gonna restart my playthrough-
1- Talk to everyone in every location whenever possible
2- Focus on Contacting each and every enemy til I get all cards
3- Get all Persona to Rank 8 before fusing them

Guide in question:
http://persona1.wikidot.com/contactguide#toc0

For some reason Mark is becoming my fav. character atm:
For one thing he somehow starts the very first battle wielding a FREAKING AXE; WHERE THE FUCK DID IT COME FROM?
Also he dances crazy.

Yea Mark looks goofy, but he is winning me over. He's just this game's Junpei, or the silly comic relief to lighten the mood. I kind of anticipate some bad stuff happening related to him though...maybe?

It may be overkill needing that guide. You fight -so many- random battles that it is easy enough to just work down each negotiation like a checklist as you face repeated enemies to eventually find the response that works. Once you get a card that demon can no longer communicate until you fuse the card or remove it from your inv...but talking to them again will remove them from battle as they offer some money, gold, or free xp so long as you are carrying their card.

It is faster to use the guide I guess, but also keep in mind that you have a hard limit of tarot cards you can carry, so you will have to regularly abandon some monster cards you earn in the same dungeon or fuse them regularly to clear stock post dungeons. Kind of sucks actually since you must go to the velvet room to do so, and many of the fusions in the early game are unusable given how crazy the level reqs are to equip! (I fuse a lv 2. pixie and a lv 9 whatever and I get a level 50 monstrosity?? wut?)

Also, again since the game so far is kinda imbalanced and super easy and lacking Press Turn, you really need not concern as heavily about perfect fusing or crafting a solid deck. I hear Snow Queen path is a much harder challenge(mostly due to time limit dungeons...blech. But also entirely unique sets of demons that are more powerful than SEBEC path).

Meia

Currently playing through Memories of Grief. The fact that you lose half HP after every fight, yet that's the only way to get breaker items and chest keys is a pretty neat feature. Too bad Hassou Tobi destroys nearly everything in the dungeon with 99 strength. Is the final boss of this dungeon immune to physical and if so, are there any physical breaker items?

Yes, it repels physical, and no, there are no breaker items for physical. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom