• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Until the Persona brand starts making games that are all style/no substance then you can start worrying Dantis.

Final Fantasy/SE and Persona/ATLUS are two different companies, with two different pilisophies, in two different situations
for better or worse

LETS POSITIVE THINKING!

I'm glad such a game doesn-

persona-4-arena-box-art-725x1024.jpg

Never mind.

Dantis

Heh, we were talking about this in chat yesterday. It's pathetic. Even moreso since he thinks he can beat Skyrim.

And Persona 4 Arena isn't THAT bad. It's not Trinity Souls bad at least, story wise.

Hilariously, Trinity Souls had a lot more 'Persona-esque' moments. One of my many criticisms of Arena is that it has none.

Oh council of PersonaGAF, I call for a motion of no confidence against council chairman Dantis. :D

At the very least, I'll be hyped when it gets announced. I was virtually bouncing off the walls when Arena and Golden got announced, and I managed to stay positive until the band scene and the region lock, respectively.

Once it's out though, that's when I'll have a nerd-breakdown.

Hilariously, Trinity Souls had a lot more 'Persona-esque' moments. One of my many criticisms of Arena is that it has none.

Buh? But the whole thing was just another TV rescue mission from P4. Though personally I didn't care for the story, it's still a kickass fighting game. Kinda sorta liked Labrys' story and the shadow ops stuff though.

Sophia

I still maintain my ground that the P3 cast members + Labrys have really great stories in P4A. It's mainly just the P4 cast members that suck because their stories were more self-contained to begin with.

Lunar15

"All style, no substance" would imply that the gameplay itself is shallow, which I'm not sure applies to P4A. I mean, some fighting fans may disagree, but I think it delivered on that front. At the very least, they did an excellent job of translating the concepts of persona into a fighting game, which is kind of ridiculous.

As for story, yes, it was weak for something persona branded, but I thinking getting offended by it is overreacting. It really wasn't that bad. If anything, I think we just learned that the "inside their heads" visual novel style wasn't the best idea for a persona game with those characters. All the repetition of plot elements due to the visual novel format didn't help either. But at the end of the day, it had a fairly solid arc and retained the core themes of the franchise. There are some 100 hour RPG's that wish they had an actual plot arc and consistent themes.

Personally, I took more offense with the second bath house scene in The Golden than I did with anything in P4A. That, to me, is the more relevant issue to bring up concerning the future of the series.

Korigama

Thanks for the feedback; we'll take that into consideration.

Also, this is highly relevant to most of the people in this thread.

My username is only 6% Waifu Material, but my real name is 1000000% Waifu Material. M-make up your mind, computer... (*´^`*)
My real name, 6%. My username...10,000,000%...hm.

Dantis

Buh? But the whole thing was just another TV rescue mission from P4. Though personally I didn't care for the story, it's still a kickass fighting game. Kinda sorta liked Labrys' story and the shadow ops stuff though.

It is just another Persona 4 rescue mission, but the only narrative parts of the rescue missions are the confrontation with the shadow self, and where these are poignant and relatable in Persona 4, Arena's is minimal and completely unrelateable, because of Labrys' back story.

Arena's plot served two purposes: To expand and connect the nonsense plot of Persona 3 and 4 (Persona 3's plot is complete nonsense, if incredibly fun nonsense; whilst Persona 4's is virtually wholly symbolic, so when you try and justify it it just comes across as dumb) and to serve up some incredibly shallow fan service.

Trinity Soul had character interactions that reminded me of Persona 3 and 4, and I think that's where Persona 3 and 4 excelled. When I think of my favourite scenes, I think of the moments that were happy, sad or genuinely funny. Or I think of the great revelatory scenes where somebody realises their flaws and makes this commitment to alter the path they're taking in life. It's cheesy, but I don't care at all. I love it.

Persona 3 and 4 are afforded this great opportunity that most games aren't, due to its time-scale, pacing and setting, not to mention the talent of the developers, and it allows it to have a lot of very human moments. Much more-so than pretty much any game I can think of.

Arena has none of this. The characters are reduced to caricatures of their former selves, and their interactions are roughly equivocal to some lame fan fiction crossover. There's no niceness, there's no real humour and there certainly isn't anything poignant (Outside of Labrys' incredibly lame plotline at least). Instead we get reams and reams and reams of fluff about how beautiful Mitsuru is and how amazing Narukami is and how pervy Teddie is and how bad at cooking Yukiko is and hey now Akihiko wants to fight everyone gotta get buff right?

It is shallow, unamusing and irrelevant.

You see what you did? You set me off again.

I firmly believe that it doesn't matter what is shown, you will meltdown regardless. :)

*shrug*

You guys only see me at my worst. I'm a pretty dedicated fan when I'm not moaning on the Internet.

Personally, I took more offense with the second bath house scene in The Golden than I did with anything in P4A.

I'll agree with this. I don't take offense to either, but I heavily dislike both.

The Golden one I feel is detrimental to the characters, whilst Arena's is just shit.

Squire

Banned
That bath house scene is like ten seconds.

You guys need to let that shit go. Jesus.

Talk about a petty hang-up.

I know fans complain and criticize, but I never wanna have a relationship with anything I claim to like that's as comtemptuous as the one some of you guys have with Persona.

Moonlight

Banned

I know fans complain and criticize, but I never wanna have a relationship with anything I claim to like that's as comtemptuous as the one some of you guys have with Persona.
Pretty much this.

I mean, seriously. Holy shit.

Dantis

*shrug*

He brought it up in a pretty off-hand manner, and I agreed with him. It's not like we're making threads about it or anything.

Trigger

lol, I can't argue with this.

Squire

Banned
Pretty much this.

I mean, seriously. Holy shit.

I just really realized how short it is myself. That's why I never think about it. You could damn near blink and miss it.

*shrug*

He brought it up in a pretty off-hand manner, and I agreed with him. It's not like we're making threads about it or anything.

Well, I won't put anyone on the spot or name names, but certain individuals have acted like this huge detriment and insult to the series integrity.

I think they need to get a grip. That's all I'm saying.

You see what you did? You set me off again.
Why did nobody warn me not to press the big red button?

Nah I kid. The thing is, when I went into Arena, I wasn't expecting anything much more than that 'fluff' story-wise. Honestly I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to the direction of the actual RPGs.

Meia

Still say we all would have been better served to have the new content for golden(character, etc) be Labrys and have her story added to 4 proper. Had no problem with Labry's story in Arena though, and thought it was handled well. If anything, felt worse for her than I did for Aigis.

Actually, come to think of it, that may have not been a good idea either. She's be a social link then, which means new waifu.

Yup. It's not like they pulled a Lightning Returns and sexed up the characters or anything; it's an incredibly short scene that's so irrelevant it could be considered non-canon and which is included amongst a multitude of awesome new scenes, features and updates which for some reason are often overshadowed by the apparent game-ruining awfulness of a twenty-second scene (seriously, a friend of mine missed it when he left the Vita running to go let his dog out).

I personally like Golden more than vanilla P4, but if one wants to make the case that it's the inferior game then there are much more substantial things one can pick on.

Dantis

Still say we all would have been better served to have the new content for golden(character, etc) be Labrys and have her story added to 4 proper. Had no problem with Labry's story in Arena though, and thought it was handled well. If anything, felt worse for her than I did for Aigis.

Actually, come to think of it, that may have not been a good idea either. She's be a social link then, which means new waifu.

I think it would have been cool if they'd made Marie a playable character who shows up in like July or whatever, and then the rest of the dev time was spent integrating her into previous scenes.

They could have developed her a lot more and actually made her relevant.

Meia

I think it would have been cool if they'd made Marie a playable character who shows up in like July or whatever, and then the rest of the dev time was spent integrating her into previous scenes.

They could have developed her a lot more and actually made her relevant.

Yeah, it's really my only problem with her. Didn't even mind the personality, just hated the bait and switch of "she's here right in the beginning of the game LOL LOCKED IN THE VELVET ROOM."

I just really wanted a Labrys P4 boss fight after running through a dungeon version of Yasogami. Just think of the Kashiwagi shadows! :D

Just bought Apollo Justice. Man that game better not suck. :p

PK Gaming

Marie shows up in the credits alongside Kaguya-hime, so at the very least I think they considered making her playable. I wouldn't have minded that at all (provided they did just that; make playable, but not part of the "main group" outside of the TV world)

Squire

Banned
Marie shows up in the credits alongside Kaguya-hime, so at the very least I think they considered making her playable. I wouldn't have minded that at all (provided they did just that; make playable, but not part of the "main group" outside of the TV world)

That wouldn't work. Any playable party member is going to be a presence in the plot, except for some very rare cases like FFVII where Vincent and Yufi were optional/missable.

And even they were restconned into canon.

PK Gaming

That wouldn't work. Any playable party member is going to be a presence in the plot, except for some very rare cases like FFVII where Vincent and Yufi were optional/missable.

And even they were restconned into canon.

Funny you should mention them, I was just about to edit them in.

Yeah, i'd like it if Marie was given the same treatment as Vincent, Yuffie, etc in Golden. At the very least, she should be treated like Teddie, and not go to go school with them :p

Squire

Banned
Funny you should mention them, I was just about to edit them in.

Yeah, i'd like it if Marie was given the same treatment as Vincent, Yuffie, etc in Golden. At the very least, she should be treated like Teddie, and not go to go school with them :p

Actually, I'm assuming she wouldn't have, had she have been woven into the plot. The cast addresses here as their junior in the game (She seems to be a ninth-grader.)

But there's a reason thinks like Vincent and Yuffie don't happen anymore. The audience at large (well, it used to be large) doesn't like it. They don't want to miss things. Not big ones like party members.

Unless you're playing Suikoden or something where it's the crux of the game.

Trigger

Marie shouldn't have been in the game in the first place IMO. I've said before in previous conversations, but that extra dungeon time could have been used on developing previously existing characters like
Namatame. He never gets to confront his own shadow, and I wouldn't mind more back story on his relationship with the announcer. Heck, he's already been inside the TV so he could work as a playable character.
(P4 spoilers)

kewlmyc

Marie shouldn't have been in the game in the first place IMO. I've said before in previous conversations, but that extra dungeon time could have been used on developing previously existing characters like
Namatame. He never gets to confront his own shadow, and I wouldn't mind more back story on his relationship with the announcer. Heck, he's already been inside the TV so he could work as a playable character.
(P4 spoilers)

But he's not a teenager so no one would like him. T_T

Yup. It's not like they pulled a Lightning Returns and sexed up the characters or anything; it's an incredibly short scene that's so irrelevant it could be considered non-canon and which is included amongst a multitude of awesome new scenes, features and updates which for some reason are often overshadowed by the apparent game-ruining awfulness of a twenty-second scene (seriously, a friend of mine missed it when he left the Vita running to go let his dog out).

I personally like Golden more than vanilla P4, but if one wants to make the case that it's the inferior game then there are much more substantial things one can pick on.

I thought it was obvious that P4G was superior to P4. Unlike P3P, P4G did nothing BUT add content.

I feel Marie's S Link could have been done better.
I get it, your friends need to know her so they'll feel motivated to help Yu save her, but was it necessary to shove your friends into virtually every chance possible in the S Link? What should have been done was have them in some events and not in others, trying to keep it a 50/50 balance at the very least with leaning more towards your friends not showing up being the best option. Instead having your friends in almost all the time gives it a tacked on feeling like "OH HEY PLAYER REMEMBER THESE GUYS TOO RIGHT? IT'S NOT THEIR LINK BUT THEY'RE HERE TOO! AND THEY'RE MEETING HER AND LOOK THE CAST BLARHGHGhghghg" imo. I'm not doing the S Link primarily for those guys, I'm doing the link for Marie. It's like, I'll do Yosuke's S Link because Yosuke, not for some random person who happens to talk to him, or I'll do Yukiko's S Link for her and not for the random reporters, etc. I do the S Links because the primary character, basically, and how Marie's was handled kinda makes it feel not genuine and just plain meh.

Also kinda related, but her dungeon wasn't that good either. I get that they were trying for something different with the rules it had set up, but it was really just more of a mild inconvenience than a fun challenge.

PK Gaming

But he's not a teenager so no one would like him. T_T
It's really hard to like someone like
Namatame
. The game makes you hate him for the brief while
you think he's the killer[/spoiuler] and then immediately makes you pity him when
you discover that he's not the killer. Unless you killed him, you dick!
. But pity is just another form of hate, so in essence I hated him for the entire game.

I'd much rather have Dojima as a party member over him, haha.

Dantis

I'm surprised there's only been 11 episodes. It feels like more.

Considering what a random idea it was, it's actually turned out rather well. I still want to be on it sometime, also.

Venfayth

Due to story reasons, there would have to be massive rewriting in order for a female protag to make sense at all.

I'd be ok with it.

Especially if she was kawaii.

I'm surprised there's only been 11 episodes. It feels like more.

Considering what a random idea it was, it's actually turned out rather well. I still want to be on it sometime, also.

Woah, didn't notice you with that av. Too bright for you!

KLonso

I have a question about Persona 3.

Once I max out my stats, should I still do tasks related to them?

For example, once I max out Charm, do pop quiz answers matter?

Dantis

I'd be ok with it.

Especially if she was kawaii.

Woah, didn't notice you with that av. Too bright for you!

I've been wanting to switch to a Soejima avatar for a while. I still love Kaneko's stuff, but I guess I like Soejima more overall.

I have a question about Persona 3.

Once I max out my stats, should I still do tasks related to them?

For example, once I max out Charm, do pop quiz answers matter?

In general, no, though pop quizzes give you rewards, and I believe you need to place first in one to start Mitsuru's S Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom