• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Arena is "All style, no substance", which is why it was just showcased at the biggest fighting game tournament in the world and has a enormous amount of depth to it's gameplay?

I realize you were talking about the story Dantis, but that's a pretty unfair assessment of the game as a whole.

I'm surprised there's only been 11 episodes. It feels like more.

Considering what a random idea it was, it's actually turned out rather well. I still want to be on it sometime, also.

You should! It's hard setting up times with people in the UK cause of the time difference, but we can work something out in the future.

Dantis

Arena is "All style, no substance", which is why it was just showcased at the biggest fighting game tournament in the world and has a enormous amount of depth to it's gameplay?

I realize you were talking about the story Dantis, but that's a pretty unfair assessment of the game as a whole.

It was actually just a joke. ;)

How so? I can't really think of many reasons off the top of my head other than a few social link things.

I assume he's talking about the Izanagi thing.

Lunar15

That bath house scene is like ten seconds.

You guys need to let that shit go. Jesus.

Talk about a petty hang-up.

I know fans complain and criticize, but I never wanna have a relationship with anything I claim to like that's as contemptuous as the one some of you guys have with Persona.

I mean, "offense" is being used highly lightly here. It's not like i'm up in arms calling it "indecent" or anything. I'm just saying that it would be more of a "red flag" towards the series going a more pandering route than P4A was. Please, if bath scenes bothered me, I would have quit playing a lot of japanese games years ago.

These are minor quibbles. This is one of the problems with internet communication, it's easy to take what someone's saying and magnify it. There's no inflection to gather how much someone actually cares about what they're talking about. I think the recent situation with Phil Fish is pretty indicative of that. Everyone in here are pretty huge fans of the series, so I never take any one's complaints with the series out of context. It's just people who love a thing so much that it's easy to point out minor flaws in otherwise excellent experiences.

Dantis complains a lot, but he's certainly not the only one by a long shot. We all have issues with the series. But I wouldn't call anyone's opinions "contemptuous", Well, okay I've seen a few that were pretty intense, but not really from the regulars.

Trigger

Due to story reasons, there would have to be massive rewriting in order for a female protag to make sense at all.

I don't think so: FeMC in P3P had male personae (Orpheus is still called Orpheus and Thanatos/Messiah weren't even feminized) so it's not like they couldn't just do the same with a P4 female lead. A few events would just have their perspective gender flipped I imagine.

Dantis

These are minor quibbles. This is one of the problems with internet communication, it's easy to take what someone's saying and magnify it. There's no inflection to gather how much someone actually cares about what they're talking about. I think the recent situation with Phil Fish is pretty indicative of that. Everyone in here are pretty huge fans of the series, so I never take any one's complaints with the series out of context. It's just people who love a thing so much that it's easy to point out minor flaws in otherwise excellent experiences.

Absolute truth.

If I could 'Like' this post, I would do.

You say things like that constantly though, so it's hard to tell. ;D

Ha! Probably true.

When Persona 5 is definitely 100% announced tomorrow, we should record a podcast about it.

Levito

Banned
It's pretty funny that a lot of the people that consistently complain about a 10 second bathhouse scene in P4G are also the same people that get really defensive whenever the topic of how Persona(P4 specifically) mistreats some of it's minority characters.

Seriously guys, take a step back, and chill. There are far too many fanbases out there that get completely ruined by people the front utter contempt for the things they enjoy.

Levito

Banned
SMT IV is for lame ass pleeb weaboo's that can't afford HDTVs and therefore use their welfare checks to get the lame 99% 3DS.

Lunar15

It's pretty funny that a lot of the people that consistently complain about a 10 second bathhouse scene in P4G are also the same people that get really defensive whenever the topic of how Persona(P4 specifically) mistreats some of it's minority characters.

Seriously guys, take a step back, and chill. There are far too many fanbases out there that get completely ruined by people the front utter contempt for the things they enjoy.

I think everyone's pretty chill, at least on this topic. I think it was more heated around when it came out.

The bath house scene isn't this horrible thing that ruins everything. It's just a tad disappointing, at least to me. But I mean, there's tons of things people feel weird about, like the way Kanji is treated, the "harem" aspect of the games, etc. It's just all part of it, and some people are affected in different ways. But I've rarely ever gotten the feeling from anyone that any of these things are so bad that they hate the franchise and don't want to get another one. It's just all minor disappointments.

The point of a community thread is to discuss these points. It's like, Dantis has problems with the way P4A's story unfolded. I don't blame him. I didn't think it was really all that bad myself, but hey, we're having a discussion on the narrative structure and what we expect out of the series. I don't really like that second bathouse scene, so someone could explain to me why it wasn't that bad, and that'd be fine. Fact is, we're really just nervous and excited for P5, so we're just voicing our opinions about what we want/don't want to see retained in the next installment.

It's like I said, I tend to view the people in this thread as people with a base level of appreciation for the series as a whole. From there, the only thing we can discuss is the differences between what we did and didn't like. The key is to not take offense.

Levito

Banned
The point of a community thread is to discuss these points. It's like, Dantis has problems with the way P4A's story unfolded. I don't blame him. I didn't think it was really all that bad myself, but hey, we're having a discussion on the narrative structure and what we expect out of the series. I don't really like that second bathouse scene, so someone could explain to me why it wasn't that bad, and that'd be fine. Fact is, we're really just nervous and excited for P5, so we're just voicing our opinions about what we want/don't want to see retained in the next installment.

Yes this is the community thread, and discussion is what we're here for. The thing is, the negative discussion has overtaken the thread as of late, most of the time I come in here. It's the same people complaining about the same things repeatedly, after a while, it starts feeling really contemptuous. There's also a couple people that seem to just jump in the thread every so often just to shit on the franchise.

Now dissecting or voicing your opinion should be always welcome, but it should be across the board. When say the representation of minorities topic comes up, it sends most people in this thread into a defensive frenzy despite(at least when I brought it up) some of us are trying to have a rational discussion about it. What I thought was ironic is seeing the same people that continuously shit on the franchise actually defend it for once. ;)

It's like I said, I tend to view the people in this thread as people with a base level of appreciation for the series as a whole. From there, the only thing we can discuss is the differences between what we did and didn't like. The key is to not take offense.

It's not about taking offence, it's the consistent(near daily) retreading of the negative stuff. I'm far from the only person that feels this way.

Again it could be a by-product of being in a community thread in which we must stay on topic despite there being no news to discuss.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
SMT IV is for lame ass pleeb weaboo's that can't afford HDTVs and therefore use their welfare checks to get the lame 99% 3DS.

To be fair, SMT IV is a game that should not have been on a handheld, period.

It seriously hurts the presentation. Otherwise it is a fantastic game.

Squire

Banned
I'm surprised there's only been 11 episodes. It feels like more.

Considering what a random idea it was, it's actually turned out rather well. I still want to be on it sometime, also.

It's crazy, yeah. I think we can say we've been fairly successful.

We really need to work something out to talk to you and Jintor.

Dantis

Yes this is the community thread, and discussion is what we're here for. The thing is, the negative discussion has overtaken the thread as of late, most of the time I come in here. It's the same people complaining about the same things repeatedly, after a while, it starts feeling really contemptuous. There's also a couple people that seem to just jump in the thread every so often just to shit on the franchise.

Now dissecting or voicing your opinion should be always welcome, but it should be across the board. When say the representation of minorities topic comes up, it sends most people in this thread into a defensive frenzy despite(at least when I brought it up) some of us are trying to have a rational discussion about it. What I thought was ironic is seeing the same people that continuously shit on the franchise actually defend it for once. ;)

It's not about taking offence, it's the consistent(near daily) retreading of the negative stuff. I'm far from the only person that feels this way.

There's a lot of exaggeration here, man.

I think the only real way to solve this is to have a wrestling match.

It would be neat if it happened. We should see how Skype runs sometime.

Levito

Banned

We definitely should, the only way we could really do it is on a weekend though, at way people not in NA could come on at a reasonable hour.

Honeslty I'm not quite to do for the next episode, if you guys have any ideas we should just go with it.

Maybe the P3 movie trailer stuff, but there's only so much to talk about there.

think the only real way to solve this is to have a wrestling match.

tumblr_m14tmtEv061r92ldso1_400.gif

Dantis

What timezones are you all in, anyway?

Also, you haven't done an episode about art and music yet, right? And I don't think you've done one about Arena's plot either.

When you look back on it, the Rock is actually kind of amazing. I don't think I ever appreciated that when I was like, 11 or whatever.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Also, you haven't done an episode about art and music yet, right? And I don't think you've done one about Arena's plot either.

I'm Eastern.

Art and music, not yet, that's in the works, I think levito is trying to get Dale North on for that and we decided there isn't really much material to dedicate a podcast to Arena's story mode.

(Sorry for double post, I'm on mobile atm and it's a pain to edit on this thing. )

kurbaan

Banned
So I just wanted to pop in here to say I bought P4G a few days ago on the PSN sale for Vita and wow can't believe I missed this gem when it came out. The game has taken over my life I'm already past 40 hours just finished
summer and school started again

I have a copy of Persona 4 on PS2 and got past the first dungeon but got distracted from the game. I think being on handheld really make's the game much easier to play anytime as opposed to on the home console. If there is a P5 I hope there is a Vita version.

Trigger

When you look back on it, the Rock is actually kind of amazing. I don't think I ever appreciated that when I was like, 11 or whatever.

Goddamn the Rock is so hot. The things I would do to that man! I wish he could smell what I'm cooking.

He really is such a talented man. I like his work.

So I just wanted to pop in here to say I bought P4G a few days ago on the PSN sale for Vita and wow can't believe I missed this gem when it came out. The game has taken over my life I'm already past 40 hours just finished
summer and school started again

I have a copy of Persona 4 on PS2 and got past the first dungeon but got distracted from the game. I think being on handheld really make's the game much easier to play anytime as opposed to on the home console. If there is a P5 I hope there is a Vita version.

Atlus isn't ashamed of making us double dip for games. I'm pretty sure there will be a P5 portable at some point, lol.

Levito

Banned

Yeah those still need to be done, also want to do one about P3/P4 fans going back and trying P2.(IE: returning to older media)

It's been hard organising times for episodes recently, but things are looking up.

In terms of how entertaining a wrestler could be, The Rock was just on another level, blew right past his peers. (Seriously, all those clips are still hilarious)

I haven't watched wrassiln' in like 11 years(and probably never could again), but the memories of The Great One still resonate.

kurbaan

Banned
Atlus isn't ashamed of making us double dip for games. I'm pretty sure there will be a P5 portable at some point, lol.

Well i meant more like same day as PS4 version because I dont think I can imagine playing these games without the Vita's instant resume and stand by. Unless the PS4s supposed instant pause of a game as great.

Dacidbro was streaming the episode and BananaKen was actually watching, it was great. Funniest episode by easily, can't wait to share it.

Yeah I saw he tweeted that he was streaming it on friday, but I didn't have access to a computer then so I couldn't watch it live. Can't wait to see how it comes out

Lunar15

You know guys, Armada got to speak with someone from Atlus about P5 at EVO.

I left it out of the recording, but if you really want to hear what was said, listen to the very beginning of Dacid's stream here.

And no, this is not a troll, he really did talk to one of Atlus USA's staff at EVO. I'd advise keeping the expectations in check for a while though. :p

EDIT: Wait it looks like Dacid cut it out too, nevermind.

What was said?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom