• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Hi PersonaGAF!

I just bought Persona 3 FES off the psn store for $5 and was wondering if I should play the game on normal or hard? This is going to be my first persona game so I'm not sure which difficulty to choose.

You answered your own question. If it's your first Persona game, play it on normal. Unless you have extensive experience with the mainline SMT games.

Meia

Hi PersonaGAF!

I just bought Persona 3 FES off the psn store for $5 and was wondering if I should play the game on normal or hard? This is going to be my first persona game so I'm not sure which difficulty to choose.

Differences between difficulty levels:

- Hama/Mudo(one shot kill abilities) have a higher chance of hitting you.
- Enemies do more damage.
- Cost of summoning demons from the compendium is much higher.
- You do less damage.

Bold is the real killer, and unless you're familiar with the game's systems, you're probably better off starting on normal for your first time. I mean, hard works if you're willing to grind money or something, but man those compendium costs are killer.

jaxword

7OxgNUU.jpg

What exactly is this Wonfes? I'll be in Japan in a few weeks and if it's a store or something similar, it'd be fun to visit...

Squire

Banned
I have no idea! >_>;

Neither do I, actually. I wanna say it lasts a week or so? It always feels like news comes out of it twice as long as other conventions.

And it's just pictures of figures. It's not like E3 or Comic-Con where you see something and then take time out to write about it.

jaxword

Oh well. I guess I won't be seeing that when I'm in Tokyo.

I wonder if there's anything like an "Atlus" store there, like there is with Square Enix?

Dantis

Only just saw this.

I think you're joking, but you're right: He's got every reason to lie.

Also, Atlus has no games for 2014. They've got SMT x FE, which is almost certainly funded by Nintendo and will be published by Nintendo in every region because Atlus would be out of their already bankrupt minds to take a bath on a niche Wii U game.

Ergo: They have no games for 2014.

I was joking that it's going to get announced tomorrow (Or rather, today (Even though it totally is)), but I do genuinely think that his comments shouldn't be given any credence whatsoever.

I also think SMT x FE will be mostly Intelligent Systems, not Atlus. Just a feeling I have.

Refyref

Only just saw this.

I was joking that it's going to get announced tomorrow (Or rather, today (Even though it totally is)), but I do genuinely think that his comments shouldn't be given any credence whatsoever.

I also think SMT x FE will be mostly Intelligent Systems, not Atlus. Just a feeling I have.

They sure made it seem to be an Atlus game with IntSys only being marginally related (as in producing/supervising), but I guess we'll have to wait until they give more info to know.

Dantis

They sure made it seem to be an Atlus game with IntSys only being marginally related (as in producing/supervising), but I guess we'll have to wait until they give more info to know.

The Fire Emblem guy described it as Fire Emblem set in the modern day.

I can't see why Atlus would make that over IS.

Like you say though, we'll have to wait and see.

Refyref

The Fire Emblem guy described it as Fire Emblem set in the modern day.

I can't see why Atlus would make that over IS.

Like you say though, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm more talking about how the trailer showcased the name Atlus all the time, with IntSys only appearing in the copyrights at the end.

Besides, all IntSys has said about it is that it will be set in modern times, unlike FE. (But like SMT, not that is matters.)
They didn't say anything about how it plays. (Although I'm betting it's probably close to FE since that's how crossovers usually end for some reason.)

Dantis

For a long time, I’ve wanted to create a Fire Emblem in our times, in the real world. Imagine a Pegasus that comes from the sky and lands on Building 109 of Shibuya, Tokyo. I always thought that would be incredible.

*shrug*

I took that to mean that it'll play like Fire Emblem.

Only just saw this.

Persona 5. Believe.

I'd hope its because Atlus runs a tight time frame between Game Announcement > Launch Date > Japanese Launch > NA Date > NA Launch, but we'll see.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
About 20 hours into Persona 1 PSP right now...(SEBEC path)

The difficulty has really ramped up in the latter dungeons(I only have 2 left I think for true ending). Whereas most of the game is an imbalanced mess in the early goings(starter demons are waaaayyy too powerful, enemies do little to no damage, healing and savepoints are all over the place) I am now being assaulted by regular beasts that do require actively focusing on weaknesses to survive. It's still not difficult, just that later Persona's I fuse are a bit more specialized in ability spread and this can cause issues with the rigid enemy weaknesses later on. Obviously higher fused persona's give a moderate stat bump to my party and offer more powerful spells than the more versatile early game demons...but this is par stuff for the franchise.

Also, at a certain point the enemy levels jump dramatically beyond your party. Most of the game had me entering new dungeons at pace or slightly beyond the avg. enemy level, but lately I have been playing serious catchup despite never running away from the numerous encounters. Sadly this means negotiating for new demons to fuse is worthless until I level up to match(demons won't give you their tarot card if you are under leveled)...which lately happens by the time I finish a dungeon rather than in the middle.

Since I am approaching the game very casually from a fusion/tactics angle(not trying to min/max anything, constantly rotating new "appropriate leveled" demons to equip for everyone as older ones max out), this has led to some interesting combat scenarios that force me to deal with party weaknesses and a lack of perfect ability setup mid-fight. It keeps me on my toes in combat and I prefer the challenge to ensuring my demons are immune to anything the next dungeon can throw my way. (That's boring!)

So while the game has improved dramatically as a dungeon crawl experience in the mid/late game, the plot and characters unfortunately has really suffered. I really dug the early goings, the cast was well defined and the mysteries somewhat engaging...but the mid game doldrums start showing up with a few jRPG tropes and filler events(granted this is a mid 90's game), and the villain just likes to heckle my party after doing some bad deed and leave the door open for me to follow and later kick his ass. I do hear the true ending is quite good and strays away from the atypical jRPG trappings though.

I'll post more thoughts once I complete the game, but this has been a nifty history lesson in the franchise so far. I really only wanted to play this game for the connections it had to Persona 2(which are two games I have been dying to play for decades!). I doubt I will go back and do the Snow Queen Quest or any optional dungeons before moving on, game isn't THAT good.

FluxWaveZ

Amazon just notified me of another delay with the Persona 4 Arena: Official Design Works:

The new estimated ship date is: January 07, 2014 instead of August 2013.

The difficulty has really ramped up in the latter dungeons(I only have 2 left I think for true ending). Whereas most of the game is an imbalanced mess in the early goings(starter demons are waaaayyy too powerful, enemies do little to no damage, healing and savepoints are all over the place) I am now being assaulted by regular beasts that do require actively focusing on weaknesses to survive. It's still not difficult, just that later Persona's I fuse are a bit more specialized in ability spread and this can cause issues with the rigid enemy weaknesses later on. Obviously higher fused persona's give a moderate stat bump to my party and offer more powerful spells than the more versatile early game demons...but this is par stuff for the franchise.

Also, at a certain point the enemy levels jump dramatically beyond your party. Most of the game had me entering new dungeons at pace or slightly beyond the avg. enemy level, but lately I have been playing serious catchup despite never running away from the numerous encounters. Sadly this means negotiating for new demons to fuse is worthless until I level up to match(demons won't give you their tarot card if you are under leveled)...which lately happens by the time I finish a dungeon rather than in the middle.

Since I am approaching the game very casually from a fusion/tactics angle(not trying to min/max anything, constantly rotating new "appropriate leveled" demons to equip for everyone as older ones max out), this has led to some interesting combat scenarios that force me to deal with party weaknesses and a lack of perfect ability setup mid-fight. It keeps me on my toes in combat and I prefer the challenge to ensuring my demons are immune to anything the next dungeon can throw my way. (That's boring!)

So while the game has improved dramatically as a dungeon crawl experience in the mid/late game, the plot and characters unfortunately has really suffered. I really dug the early goings, the cast was well defined and the mysteries somewhat engaging...but the mid game doldrums start showing up with a few jRPG tropes and filler events(granted this is a mid 90's game), and the villain just likes to heckle my party after doing some bad deed and leave the door open for me to follow and later kick his ass. I do hear the true ending is quite good and strays away from the atypical jRPG trappings though.

I'll post more thoughts once I complete the game, but this has been a nifty history lesson in the franchise so far. I really only wanted to play this game for the connections it had to Persona 2(which are two games I have been dying to play for decades!). I doubt I will go back and do the Snow Queen Quest or any optional dungeons before moving on, game isn't THAT good.

If unbalanced, overly easy battles turns you off, welllll the PSP version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin is basically the easiest game in the entire franchise. Both P2 games have stelar plots and characters though

Amazon just notified me of another delay with the Persona 4 Arena: Official Design Works:

The new estimated ship date is: January 07, 2014 instead of August 2013.

Aw dammit. I had a feeling this would happen. What is it with art books and delays? This is the third I've pre-ordered that's been delayed for several months.

Thanks for the notification anyway.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If unbalanced, overly easy battles turns you off, welllll the PSP version of Persona 2: Innocent Sin is basically the easiest game in the entire franchise. Both P2 games have stelar plots and characters though

Shit. Maybe I'll just do Hard mode then in P2(doing Normal in P1 now). Doubt it would help, but I am more interested in the plot and characters which I keep hearing is some of the best in the SMT franchise.

Oh and I also hope the music is a bit more varied in P2. I enjoyed the arranged OST in P1 at first, but the extremely limited selection had me muting the entire game after a few hours. The battle theme alone...ugh.

brandnew

I'm a few hours into the game (can't tell for sure since I leave my game suspended on my Vita and it seems like the clock keeps going. According to that I'm 54 hours in.) and I just got to the "different' school. So far I am enjoying the dungeon crawling and loving the soundtrack. The story seems so-so and the battles are a bit on the easy side. But like you, I'm playing through it for the connections to P2 (bought IS on sale) and to learn about the origins of the Persona series.
Unfortunately, I think if this game was longer than the ~20-30 hours I've heard it is, I wouldn't be playing it.

Squire

Banned
Personally, I'd assume that the Arena art book has been delayed because Udon do a great translation job, and I imagine it takes a long time.

Also, I know I've posted it before, but I'm listening to Kitajoh's remix of Beauty of Destiny. It's not a patch on Meguro's version, but it's an interesting change all the same.

Obviously, it's filled with very synthy drums and violins, because, you know, Kitajoh.

Meguro's songs for the anime are really underrated it seems. I love Sky's The Limit and Beauty of Destiny.

Dantis

I loved it, and I am very much not an anime fan.

It's purely for the fans. Meguro composed the entire soundtrack (Which is, hilariously, more than Golden and Arena). Lots of clever nods to the games (Including an AMAAAAAZING Catherine reference).

It's worth watching I'd say. Just be aware that they take P4's symbolism and make it literal. Like, all the time.

cjkeats

They're amazing. His work on the anime OST is better than his Golden and Arena work in my opinion.

Determination is glorious, and Shihoko Hirata and Yumi Kawamura doing a duet on Key Plus Words is mega awesome fan-service.
I have to agree, the anime had some great music.
Arena and Golden are great too though, but yeah, anime trumps them.
Did Meguro do "Time for True Revelation"? I like that one. , I guess so according to your last post.
How is the anime? Is it worth watching after finishing P4G?
Sure. It's not what I would call "quality" anime, but it's a fun refresher and cool to see how they handled the protagonist and some of the S. Links.

Dantis

I have to agree, the anime had some great music.
Arena and Golden are great too though, but yeah, anime trumps them.
Did Meguro do "Time for True Revelation"? I like that one.

He did the whooooole soundtrack. Kitajoh did the remixes for the LE bonus discs.

Meguro's stuff on Golden and Arena is mostly good (Though I really hate True Story), but I feel like Kitajoh's is all wrong.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
I'm currently playing through Persona 4 on the PS2, and I'm in November, just entering
Nanako's Heaven
So far I've been trying to keep all my party members at an equal level, which seems to result in a lot of grinding before each boss, to get my whole team to it's recommended level.
Should I be doing this? Or should I just pick a team of 3 and only focus on leveling them? It's starting to sound pretty tempting, skipping all that extra leveling, but is that not recommended, seeing as how I'm just now entering the endgame? What do you guys think?

cjkeats

I kinda like that Yumi, Shihoko, and Lotus Juice have become a trio these days.
It equally bums me out that we haven't seen Mayumi since P3P and the one concert she was in. :(

Sophia

I'm currently playing through Persona 4 on the PS2, and I'm in November, just entering
Nanako's Heaven
So far I've been trying to keep all my party members at an equal level, which seems to result in a lot of grinding before each boss, to get my whole team to it's recommended level.
Should I be doing this? Or should I just pick a team of 3 and only focus on leveling them? It's starting to sound pretty tempting, skipping all that extra leveling, but is that not recommended, seeing as how I'm just now entering the endgame? What do you guys think?

At that point in the game you can largely wing it with whatever party you want for the most part. Having a balanced party is the way to go. You're playing the original version of P4, so Naoto is nigh-useless because you'll be fighting a lot of bosses. I'd put priority on making sure Yukiko + Chie or Kanji + Yosuke or Teddie are leveled up.

That said, if you want to power level a party member faster and you're confident in your ability to solo with the protagonist, just take ONLY that party member into the dungeon to level them faster. There's also an exploit you can abuse in the next dungeon if you want to easily level people.

I loved it, and I am very much not an anime fan.

I seriously think you would like plenty of animr an are just unwilling to let yourself accept that. This is coming from someone who isn't too hot on it either....you didn't watch that little witch academia thing did ya?

Caladrius

Nanako's Heaven

Raise only 3 of them, doing more than those is a waste of time. Make sure they have good elemental coverage and at least one healer and you'll be good to go. As a side note, I would not advise using Naoto. In the original release her skillset is atrocious and doesn't do very much against bosses.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nanako's Heaven

You don't have to level up just three party members if you don't want to.

Usually, with the MC you fill in the gaps that the others might be missing.

I, personally only leveled up three party members, fwiw.

Oh yeah, forgot that Naoto is useless in Vanilla P4. Don't waste the time leveling that character.

jaxword

Raise only 3 of them, doing more than those is a waste of time. Make sure they have good elemental coverage and at least one healer and you'll be good to go. As a side note, I would not advise using Naoto. In the original release her skillset is atrocious and doesn't do very much against bosses.

It's strange how this is totally different in Golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom