• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

How is the anime? Is it worth watching after finishing P4G?

If you liked the game then you should probably like the anime too, since it's essentially the same thing. It makes no bones about being a video game adaptation, so the pacing is off (they did the best they could in 26 episodes though) though they do change a few things up. (like the social links which are condensed into a few episodes and a couple of other things) the art and animation are admittedly subpar, but you get used to it pretty quick.

It's worth watching just to see how they characterize the protagonist. (Yu Narukami) He's really great in the anime.

Sophia

It's strange how this is totally different in Golden.

Golden is a better balanced game. There are no useless party members there, just overpowered ones; and some of the new content favors having all the party members leveled.

Great, thanks for all the answers. I guess I'll just stick with my Chie, Yosuke, and Yukiko team.

Yeah when in doubt Chie/Yosuke/Yukiko is the team to go with in the original P4.

More like wonderful. I thought it was awful that your very last team mate was the worst overall. She should have been at least half as good as she is in the remake.

Naoto was intended to be the party's second fire user. Hence why she has Agidyne in the remake from the get go, and why her evolved Persona resists fire in both versions of the game.

PK Gaming

Golden is a better balanced game. There are no useless party members there, just overpowered ones; and some of the new content favors having all the party members leveled.

Yeah when in doubt Kanji/Yosuke/Yukiko is the team to go with in the original P4.

Fixed that for you :V

Dantis

I kinda like that Yumi, Shihoko, and Lotus Juice have become a trio these days.
It equally bums me out that we haven't seen Mayumi since P3P and the one concert she was in. :(

Keep in mind that Meguro has only headed up one soundtrack since Mayumi Fujita was in P3P, and that was Catherine and featured no Persona regulars (Presumably deliberately).

She could definitely show up in future projects.

I seriously think you would like plenty of animr an are just unwilling to let yourself accept that. This is coming from someone who isn't too hot on it either....you didn't watch that little witch academia thing did ya?

Oh, is it that time again? :p

And no I didn't.

Sophia

Fixed that for you :V

In the original game, they both have their advantages end-game. Kanji has better sustained damage + group buff, but Chie has the better burst damage. Hilariously, in P4G Kanji blows Chie right out of the water because he can get POWER CHARGE. Which is pretty overpowered seeing he has Primal Force, the most powerful single target skill in the game.

Oh, is it that time again? :p

And no I didn't.

If you can like a Seiji Kishi directed show with how medicore of a director he is, then there are a lot of anime out there you'd enjoy.

Dantis, PLEASE watch Cowboy Bebop. It's pretty much everything I gather you like, condensed into anime form.

Plus it's story is waaaaaay better than The Last of Us', which I guess makes it the Citizen Kane of anime :V

Dantis, PLEASE watch Cowboy Bebop. It's pretty much everything I gather you like, condensed into anime form.

Plus it's story is waaaaaay better than The Last of Us', which I guess makes it the Citizen Kane of anime :V

Jim Sterling once said that Dynasty Warriors was the Citizen Kane of gaming, does that make Cowboy Bebop the Dynasty Warriors of anime?

Caladrius

In the original game, they both have their advantages end-game. Kanji has better sustained damage + group buff, but Chie has the better burst damage. Hilariously, in P4G Kanji blows Chie right out of the water because he can get POWER CHARGE. Which is pretty overpowered seeing he has Primal Force, the most powerful single target skill in the game.

It's a shame they didn't really take greater advantage of the completely insane skill combinations they gave the party members. I know Margaret basically requires you to use shield of justice, but other than that nothing stands out.

Frickin' amped Mind charge Agidyne/Burning Petals and Chakra Ring Dragon Hustle.

Squire

Banned
Atlus needs to put Persona avatars up on PSN.

Umm...

Young Magus

You man,
You cool man.
Yo Dantis, listen to this cool man.

PK Gaming

I totally disagree with that assertion, in fact I feel like Kanji is consistently better throughout the entire game.

1. Kanji doesn't have a 25+ level gap between his good physical skills. His earlier access to good physical skills and higher STR actually make him have more burst damage.
2. Despite having a lower magic stat, Kanji is stronger on the magic front due to his access to Ziodyne/Maziodyne (and Electric Amp, should you choose to use it, though it's a late skill)
3. Kanji is more of a team player (Matarukaja, Masukunda, etc)
4. Matarukaja. It bears repeating because it's one of the best skills in the game.
5. Once he learns Primal Force, he's your best damage dealer.

Chie's only advantage over Kanji is multi-target physical moves, and to be honest they're not noteworthy until she gets Agneyastra(food for that, Rampage is her most damage move until she gets Agneystra). There is literally no other reason to use her in Vanilla once you get Kanji.

Unless you like her more and really, that's the most important thing that matters.

Dantis

If you can like a Seiji Kishi directed show with how medicore of a director he is, then there are a lot of anime out there you'd enjoy.

My little brother would be sad to hear you say this. He loves Angel Beats.

SELL IT TO ME.

From what I remember from reading about it, it sounded a bit like Firefly. Is it at all like Firefly?

Also, Last of Us most likely has better writing and acting, if not overall plot.

Sophia

My little brother would be sad to hear you say this. He loves Angel Beats.

Angel Beats is probably his best work. He excels in comedy, but his skills involving drama are lackluster.

SELL IT TO ME.

From what I remember from reading about it, it sounded a bit like Firefly. Is it at all like Firefly?

Also, Last of Us most likely has better writing and acting, if not overall plot.

It is very much like Firefly. Although it has a more Sci-fi Noir flair that Firefly lacks. Actually, now that I think about it, I recall hearing that Firefly was partially inspired off Cowboy Bebop itself.

TLoU's presentation was outstanding, but the story by itself failed to dodge many of the tropes that plague zombie/dystopian fiction and was unremarkable as a result. Joel was a fantastic character though, I'll give them that.

TLOU's strong point is its characters. It doesn't need to dodge most of those tropes when it has a magnificently written cast like that.

kewlmyc

Cowboy Bebop is great. It's one of the two anime that I recommend for anybody who wants something good to watch. The other being Baccano.

Cowboy Bebop = a group of bounty hunters getting into various adventures which include both fun and serious storylines. (26 epsiodes and one movie)

Baccano = A collection of stories revolved around 1930's America that all blend together by the end of the series. Featuring the mafia, train robberies, immortality, and all around craziness. Pretty violent. (16 episodes)

Sophia

If that's the case, this guy must be the Uwe Boll of anime.

LOL No he's not anywhere near that bad. He is an average director tho. He's actually pretty good at humor (Angel Beats, Carnival Phantasm, Humanity Has Declined), but his skills in directing a scene are a bit lackluster. Much of the P4 Anime adaptation's issues are thanks to poor scene transitions for drama.

Lunar15

Cowboy Bebop's great. It's a fairly gritty sci-fi take on noir, westerns, and john woo films. It's an excellent anime for people who hate anime. It's well written and clever, not pandering. While I wouldn't say it's exactly like firefly, it matches firefly's gritty realistic take on the future, and a mix of serious themes with some occasional lighthearted fun. Comparing it to Last of Us is probably not a good idea, and doesn't really help its case. Also, dat 90's anime style...

spikespiegel.jpg

Also Yoko Kanno's soundtrack is monumentally good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftxDrStny8

cjkeats

LOL No he's not anywhere near that bad. He is an average director tho. He's actually pretty good at humor (Angel Beats, Carnival Phantasm, Humanity Has Declined), but his skills in directing a scene are a bit lackluster. Much of the P4 Anime adaptation's issues are thanks to poor scene transitions for drama.

I've never actually seen any of his work outside Persona and Angel Beats, although I've been meaning to check out Humanity Has Declined ever since it aired. I don't really follow directors, mostly just character designers and voices.
I thought the humour in the P4 anime was very will done. A lot of the reason I enjoyed it was the humour.
Angel Beats however..just, ugh. No other anime has left such a bad taste after watching it, and you know me, I like everything.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm a few hours into the game (can't tell for sure since I leave my game suspended on my Vita and it seems like the clock keeps going. According to that I'm 54 hours in.) and I just got to the "different' school. So far I am enjoying the dungeon crawling and loving the soundtrack. The story seems so-so and the battles are a bit on the easy side. But like you, I'm playing through it for the connections to P2 (bought IS on sale) and to learn about the origins of the Persona series.
Unfortunately, I think if this game was longer than the ~20-30 hours I've heard it is, I wouldn't be playing it.

Playing on vita also and 30 is a good estimate for the true ending(SEBEC route)...maybe 35. I'm closing in on 30 hours and am about to fight the final boss before the true ending content. Id guess an extra 5-7 hours for me is left.

My other issue right now is how many demons fuse into levels far beyond what I can ever equip! So many are 60+! I'm mid 40's at endgame and I can't imagine how anyone would equip a lvl 80 persona. It's just weird and dumb. My fusion list is tiny given how many personas require crazy levels.

Sophia

I've never actually seen any of his work outside Persona and Angel Beats, although I've been meaning to check out Humanity Has Declined ever since it aired. I don't really follow directors, mostly just character designers and voices.
I thought the humour in the P4 anime was very will done. A lot of the reason I enjoyed it was the humour.
Angel Beats however..just, ugh. No other anime has left such a bad taste after watching it, and you know me, I like everything.

Only thing I've really liked from Kishi myself was Carnival Phantasm, and that's only partially his doing as it was adopted from a gag manga he didn't write. I firmly believe that Persona 4 the Animations is decent in spite of Kishi, not because of him.

I tend to follow directors and production staff more than anything. You can usually tell what's going to be good if it has a good staff. Although rarely you get stuff like Guilty Crown that doesn't live up to the hype on it. :\

kewlmyc

Angle Beats would have been good if given 26 episodes. Without it, it felt rushed and the transitions between comedy and drama felt off.

Lunar15

Heard the soundtrack before, don't care for it at all.

Added the first Blu Ray to my rental list though.

This might be one of those context things. See, CB's action scenes were drawn to fit the music, not the other way around. The action and the music blend wonderfully.

Lunar15

On top of being a big inspiration on Firefly, Cowboy Bebop is a lot better than Firefly.

They're different. I think I personally enjoyed CB more though. It's been a long time since I've watched either, though, so there could be nostalgia goggles in effect.

I dunno, I recommend CB to people who like video games and some anime. I've even taken a bet on people who've never watched anime at all but have an open mind, and everyone pretty much enjoys it. It's the only anime I'll actively recommend to just about anyone.

Squire

Banned
TLoU's presentation was outstanding, but the story by itself failed to dodge many of the tropes that plague zombie/dystopian fiction and was unremarkable as a result. Joel was a fantastic character though, I'll give them that.

Tropes aren't a "plague" to be "dodged". They're story telling tools you can use and you can do so with skill or without. TLOU is the latter.

Cowboy Bebop is pretty pulpy, but the characters themselves and the direction make it. I think TLOU has more going for it than CB, but I do appreciate both as great works.

Edit: CB is definitely better than the incredibly overrated Firefly.

Dantis

Believe it. I really like Firefly, and yet still believe that Bebop is a lot better.

Firefly hits all the right spots for me as far as TV shows go.

Bebop is already down two by nature of being an anime and also lacking Nathan Fillion.

Way to dismiss something you've never seen.

I was going to make some comment like "Have you met me?" but instead I'll do you the honor of a real response:

Firefly is one of my favourite shows. I rewatch the season once or twice a year. I love pretty much everything about it, and I consider Out Of Gas (One of the episodes) amongst my favourite episodes of anything ever. Whether Bebop is objectively better is obviously a non-thing so it's all subjective. And subjectively I can assume that it is very unlikely that I'll enjoy Bebop more than Firefly.

Sophia

I think Inorigo is being sarcastic.... I hope.... Levito's probably serious however. Shame on you both for speaking ill of Firefly. :(

Lunar15

You guys have to learn, belittling something someone likes is not a good way to convince them to watch something else!

C'mon guys, that's "pushing stuff on your friends" 101.

Squire

Banned
I think Inorigo is being sarcastic.... I hope.... Levito's probably serious however. Shame on you both for speaking ill of Firefly. :(

Firefly sucks. Sorry. I know it's gott a fandom, but it's an incredibly bland show that thinks it's so smart for some reason when it's just generic pulp.

I enjoyed Serenity though, so it's not all bad.

Oh, I also enjoyed Christina Hendricks' guest appearance.

Tropes aren't a "plague" to be "dodged". They're story telling tools you can use and you can do so with skill or without. TLOU is the latter.

Cowboy Bebop is pretty pulpy, but the characters themselves and the direction make it. I think TLOU has more going for it than CB, but I do appreciate both as great works.

Edit: CB is definitely better than the incredibly overrated Firefly.

The only problem is that it relies on the tropes so heavily that a veteran of the genre such as myself could predict almost every story beat and twist long before they happen, leaving the brunt of the intrigue on the two main characters. In the end, only one or two of the twists legitimately surprised me, which made the story a pretty simple Point A -> Point B adventure.

I mean, I still though it was a great, 9/10 game worthy of praise, and maybe my hype for it let me down in the end, but I felt Bebop did its plotting and characterization better without relying on as many tried-and-true techniques.

Firefly hits all the right spots for me as far as TV shows go.

Bebop is already down two by nature of being an anime and also lacking Nathan Fillion.

Bebop is also up two by nature of being able to do things that would be impossible in a live-action show and also having Steve Blum.

Sophia

Firefly sucks. Sorry. I know it's gott a fandom, but it's an incredibly bland show that thinks it's so smart for some reason when it's just generic pulp.

I'm going to continue to pretend you're being sarcastic. I'll give Levito credit below for at least having a good opinion. :p

Bebop is also up two by nature of being able to do things that would be impossible in a live-action show and also having Steve Blum.

Steve Blum is so amazing. :D

Levito

Banned
And then you wonder why I don't trust your opinions on television!

Except unlike you, I watch/experience something before I pass judgement entirely on it. :p

I wouldn't call it "generic dogshit", but it's nowhere near top tier western dramas. Firefly fans evangelize the show to an absurd degree. Often it gives off the feeling of a bandwagon where people just endlessly bitch that it was cancelled. I don't think it's bad at all, just vastly overhyped by the fanbase.

As for what my favourite TV shows are:

-Breaking Bad
-Twin Peaks
-The Wire
-Homeland
-Trailer Park Boys
-Madmen
-Star Trek: The Next Generation

Squire

Banned
Breaking Bad is perfect. Aaron Paul should play Kanji in the live-action Persona 4 TV series.

Kristen Ritter can play Yukiko.

Dantis

Bebop is also up two by nature of being able to do things that would be impossible in a live-action show

This is how not to sell me on a show.

Seriously.

Except unlike you, I watch/experience something before I pass judgement entirely on it. :p

I wouldn't call it "generic dogshit", but it's nowhere near top tier western dramas. Firefly fans evangelize the show to an absurd degree. Often it gives off the feeling of a bandwagon where people just endlessly bitch that it was cancelled. I don't think it's bad at all, just vastly overhyped by the fanbase.

Ask for what my favourite TV shows are:

-Breaking Bad
-Twin Peaks
-The Wire
-Homeland
-Trailer Park Boys
-Star Trek: The Next Generation

Twin Peaks is the only one of these I like, and even then I think season 2 is a bit shit. My favourite Lynch stuff is his post Twin Peaks work. I love things that are a bit weird.

Also, whilst we're discussing overrated shows, Breaking Bad and Homeland? Ooft. Come on.

kewlmyc

I haven't made it past episode 2 of Breaking Bad. Should I go back?

This is how not to sell me on a show.

Seriously.

Despite everyone throwing shit at you right now, you should seriously give Cowboy Bebop a try. Not sure what your hang up on anime is (it's a type of animation, that's it.), but give Cowboy Bebop a try
and Baccano.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom