• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Ooops and I forgot Game Of Thrones!

Parts of season 2 of Twin Peaks are definitely bad, you'll find very few Twin Peaks fans that think otherwise too.

Also, whilst we're discussing overrated shows, Breaking Bad and Homeland? Ooft. Come on.

Salty because Breaking Bad and Homeland have more than 1 season? ;D

Squire

Banned
Also, whilst we're discussing overrated shows, Breaking Bad and Homeland? Ooft. Come on.

Brother, don't take this the wrong way, but are you fucking kidding me? I haven't seen S2 of Homeland, so I'll give you that, but Breaking Bad? It's easily one of the best TV shows of the past decade.

Dantis

Ooops and I forgot Game Of Thrones!

Yeah, no.

Game of Thrones is amazing.

Watched the first season of Homeland. Really bored me and I hated everyone except for Saul. Bonus points for starring Morena Baccarin of Firefly fame though!

I think Breaking Bad just isn't a show for me. I was expecting like Boardwalk Empire levels of plot and seriousness and production values, and that's absolutely not what it is. I got about halfway through the first season and haven't gone back. No interest.

Dantis, try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpQ1Y2eqL4

If you don't dig that tune, I give up.

Meh.

It's not bad, but it's not something I'd ever listen to. It's also really repetitive.

Brother, don't take this the wrong way, but are you fucking kidding me? I haven't seen S2 of Homeland, so I'll give you that, but Breaking Bad? It's easily one of the best TV shows of the past decade.

Everyone seems to love it, but it does nothing for me whatsoever. Hence why I'd consider it overrated, I guess!

Breaking Bad is perfect. Aaron Paul should play Kanji in the live-action Persona 4 TV series.

Kristen Ritter can play Yukiko.

As long as Ron Perlman plays Dojima (shut up, I don't care how much sense it makes).

Also, Ray Park can play Yu because he's used to going entire movies without saying a single line.

This is how not to sell me on a show.

Seriously.

I never put down Firefly! I just stated two things Bebop has going for it!

Twin Peaks is the only one of these I like, and even then I think season 2 is a bit shit. My favourite Lynch stuff is his post Twin Peaks work. I love things that are a bit weird.

Twin Peaks is fine and dandy, but BB is far and away a better show overall. The writing and characterization alone make it worth the watch, and this is coming from a guy who's only watched like, 6 TV shows all the way through.

I haven't made it past episode 2 of Breaking Bad. Should I go back?

Yes, go finish it now. Quickly, so you can catch the Season 5 Pt. 2 premiere in a couple weeks!

cj_iwakura

I'll be honest. I never made it that far in Game of Thrones. I lost interest after the third episode and never rented the future episodes. I should probably read the books.

But... that track isn't that great tho, and it kinda hurts my ears.

It's pure 80s synthesized bliss!

Ah well.

Squire

Banned
efabuIh.gif

Dantis

Why must you apologize for every single thing even when it's not your fault? Besides, we won. He put Cowboy Bebop in his rental queue. No help to Levito and Inorigo on that however. :p

You guys are terrible at convincing people to do things.

Dantis

That I admit. But it's much harder when we have people who don't have any tact when giving out their opinions (See: "Firefly sucks.")

I do think you'll genuinely enjoy Cowboy Bebop however. It's got a lot of the same qualities that Firefly has.

We'll see. There's a lot that I dislike about anime. I'd be surprised if it avoided all of it.

It seems further removed than most shows though, at least.

Sophia

We'll see. There's a lot that I dislike about anime. I'd be surprised if it avoided all of it.

It seems further removed than most shows though, at least.

Anime's a medium, not a genre. Most of it's trash just like how most TV and video games are too. Luckily we have stuff like Bebop that stands out.

Crayons

Banned
SMT: Persona, SMT: P3P, SMT:p2:IS and Persona 2: EP are all $10 on the PSN store, which two are most worth the money?

I already have P3:FES and P4G

Dantis

I don't mean to badger you or anything, but I really don't think anime has any inherent qualities. What do you dislike about the style as a whole?

You say that, but then people say "Watch Attack on Titan, it's really dark and mature" and then post a GIF of a 15 year old girl flying through the air slicing things with a big sword and my brother tells me the ridiculous plot and yuck.

I'm sure there are exceptions and maybe Bebop is one of them, but a lot of anime have stylistic choices in terms of content, setting and writing that are similar and push it beyond a medium and into a label.

SMT: Persona, SMT: P3P, SMT:p2:IS and Persona 2: EP are all $10 on the PSN store, which two are most worth the money?

I already have P3:FES and P4G

Get P3P and IS.

EP is always $10.

Squire

Banned
You say that, but then people say "Watch Attack on Titan, it's really dark and mature" and then post a GIF of a 15 year old girl flying through the air slicing things with a big sword and my brother tells me the ridiculous plot and yuck.

I'm sure there are exceptions and maybe Bebop is one of them, but a lot of anime have stylistic choices in terms of content, setting and writing that are similar and push it beyond a medium and into a label.

You're not being fair now. You made it clear to us you didn't like that sort of thing. Who here has recommended AoT to you?

Sophia

Not that I really wish to criticize your brother, but his opinion of shows isn't the greatest if he loves Angel Beats as anything more than mindless fun.... :\

cjkeats

Thinking about Angel Beats makes me want to puke. The only thing I think back fondly about it is the music.

Maybe I should give it another go to see if it's as bad as I remember. It probably isn't. I know I laughed when I realized it was (mostly)a key show.

Taruranto

I fucking hate Twin Peaks.

S1 is bearable, but then S2 turns into a soap-opera with supernatural elements that don't make any sense. You could probably skip half of each episode without losing anything. Actually, you probably should.

Fuck Twin Peaks!!!

AB is the epitome of bad written drama.
The phrase "Train wreck" comes to mind, but it’s really not accurate. Trains have momentum and direction. This does not. A better analogy would be a pack of feral chihuauas in heat. With grenades taped to their backs. Entertaining and destructive, maybe even cute and tragic at times, but ultimately a waste of explosives and snake food. I don’t think having more episodes would have helped at all either. The problem wasn’t the pacing, it was that from start to finish, the show had absolutely no idea what it wanted to do, where it was going, or what its endgame was. It would do slapstick for ten minutes, then suddenly turn deadly serious, and then it tossed in romance literally five minutes from the end. Then they would compare someone missing a fly ball to someone else having their entire family murdered like they were events of the same importance. That certainly made it interesting to talk about, but I’d say the same thing about Maburaho or Princess Lover.

Squire

Banned
I fucking hate Twin Peaks.

S1 is bearable, but then S2 turns into a soap-opera with supernatural elements that don't make any sense. You could probably skip half of each episode without losing anything. Actually, you probably should.

Fuck Twin Peaks!!!

AB is the epitome of bad written drama.

And they say I have no tact.

cj_iwakura

Attack on Titan starts out fantastic, but slows to a crawl.

I'd recommend Dantis watch Serial Experiments Lain if anything.
(totally not biased)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom