• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

Then I'll play it with the sound off. :p

I actually really liked the live version of it, but when Rise's actress sings it, it's way too cutesy for me.

I knew you'd be happy that it was in there, haha. How do you unlock things in the Miku games? Do they have any kind of single player or what?
"Too Cutsey" lol. To be fair, that's not as "cutsey" as her voice can go. They don't call her "Rie Kugloli" for nothing.
As for unlocks in the PDF games:
It's single player only. There isn't any plot outside of the songs themselves. The game uses a shop-based double unlock system. Successfully clearing stages awards points which you can use to buy cosmetic items such as outfits or accessories. The items themselves have to be unlocked by clearing stages on certain difficulties or by using a certain character enough.
What he said. God I got so sick of Rin after unlocking Future Rin, but she's so much better.
Funny enough, I never tired of Senbonzakura in the grind to unlock all those costumes.

Really hope P4D has a ton of unlock able stuff, and nothing as boring as Diva Room.

CrazyDude

Just saw this:

Yeah, I'm betting on a senior core group this time. A focus on academic and societal pressures would be pretty interesting in that context, especially if there was an actual in-game reason to study hard enough to pass your eventual entrance exams. I'm still betting on the villain being some sort of "savior" from social pressure and bonds. The theme of the game would then be between taking the easy way out (Villain doing whatever he does) or working hard to free yourself from your bonds and pressure (with the power of friendship). I also like that, despite what seems like a likely darker tone, the focus on joy will mean that it probably won't be all doom and gloom. I'm kinda hoping for a more extreme version of what P4 did, with high light goofy ups and deep down dark downs.

I can also see the villain somebody who will free people from social pressures. The message will be not to find and escape to these pressures, but to face them head on.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, that'd be interesting as well. I'd guess the S.Link theme will probably be said pressure/bonds, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least one character whose particular bond is addiction to something.

That's it!

I noticed the sound of glass breaking repeatedly in the teaser and Flux pointed out the cork popping. I didn't say so, but I thought something was off about the glass. It sounded like it was relatively thin - you can tell it's not the sound of a broken window or a windshield.

It's breaking bottles.

If you look closely at Hashino and co.'s names as they pop up, they blur slightly. The image doubles, like when you've had a little bit to drink

I bet in P5, there's a new drink in town. One that the people just can't get enough of.

cjkeats

pZGROS6h.png
My first thought was that the chains spell something in moon runes, but there's no way someone would't have picked up on it by now.

That's it!

I noticed the sound of glass breaking repeatedly in the teaser and Flux pointed out the cork popping. I didn't say so, but I thought something was off about the glass. It sounded like it was relatively thin - you can tell it's not the sound of a broken window or a windshield.

It's breaking bottles.

If you look closely at Hashino and co.'s names as they pop up, they blur slightly. The image doubles, like when you've had a little bit to drink

I bet in P5, there's a new drink in town. One that the people just can't get enough of.
Or perhaps the theme could be alchlohalism and drug abuse used as an escape in general.

PK Gaming

That's it!

It's breaking bottles.

Oh man could you imagine? An alcoholic party member... the characters could give him/her an intervention.

That sounds really heavy 0.0

Dantis

All this Persona 5 talk is making me so hyped. Not surprised that we won't see anything until next year, but it's nice to have a confirmation.

"Too Cutsey" lol. To be fair, that's not as "cutsey" as her voice can go. They don't call her "Rie Kugloli" for nothing.
As for unlocks in the PDF games:

What he said. God I got so sick of Rin after unlocking Future Rin, but she's so much better.
Funny enough, I never tired of Senbonzakura in the grind to unlock all those costumes.

Really hope P4D has a ton of unlock able stuff, and nothing as boring as Diva Room.

So there genuinely could be something linked to True Story?

Looooooooooooooooool.

As for content, I have a feeling there'll be a decent amount. Atlus seems to be really good for that kind of thing.

There had better be some non-idol outfits. I'm sure there will be, though.

Gazoinks

Looooooooooooooooool.

As for content, I have a feeling there'll be a decent amount. Atlus seems to be really good for that kind of thing.

Conversely, there'd better be an idol outfit for Kanji.

That's it!

It's breaking bottles.

Oh ho ho, interesting. Seems like it could be plausible. The only thing I'd say is that when the names appear they do blur and double, but they also kind of flicker briefly yellow, which reminds me of a computer screen or a TV test pattern. Maybe supports the idea of addiction being a theme as a whole, with that representing technological addiction? Or rather, maybe addiction isn't the theme but one of the easy way outs used as a way of getting out from the bonds and pressure of society. A kind of sub-theme.

FluxWaveZ

Oh man could you imagine? An alcoholic party member... the characters could give him/her an intervention.

That sounds really heavy 0.0

Sounds like Dojima.

Also, am I a hypocrite by originally thinking that P4A being a canon sequel and all was fine, but being a little iffy with that idea for P4D?

Fighting as a core concept makes sense and designing circumstances for the P3 crew and P4 crew to meet each other makes sense, but P4D seems just way more silly? Taking place at the "Mayonaka Stage", presumably involving dancing to save the world or something... kinda funny.

At this point, though, they can do whatever they want to with P3 and P4. The spotlight's on P5.

Sophia

Looooooooooooooooool.

I have no doubt there will be. Project Diva had lots of non-idol outfits too. Heck, the song I'm listening to (from PDF) now uses a non idol outfit.

Also, am I a hypocrite by originally thinking that P4A being a canon sequel and all was fine, but being a little iffy with that idea for P4D?

No, even I kinda thought that way, despite knowing that the concept is absolutely perfect for a franchise that has live converts almost every year. :p

Dantis

Fighting as a core concept makes sense and designing circumstances for the P3 crew and P4 crew to meet each other makes sense, but P4D seems just way more silly? Taking place at the "Mayonaka Stage" presumably involves dancing to save the world or something... kinda funny.

I find the concepts of both Arena and P4D ridiculous.

Conversely, there'd better be an idol outfit for Kanji.

Oh dear. I'm sure there will be.

I have no doubt there will be. Project Diva had lots of non-idol outfits too. Heck, the song I'm listening to (from PDF) now uses a non idol outfit.

Yessssss.

Moonlight

Banned
The detective work you guys do blows my mind sometimes.

But y'know, if the theme is gonna be all about the "easy way out", something I'd be really interested in seeing is how Persona could seriously tackle suicide (suicidal thoughts, specifically). P3 flirted with it a bit (mostly concerning Evokers and
Ken and Shinjiro
), but nothing serious. It'd be heavy stuff, for sure, but I think if any team could handle it with any degree of grace, it's Hashino's crew.

PK Gaming

Sounds like Dojima.

Fighting makes sense and designing circumstances for the P3 crew and P4 crew to meet each other makes sense, but P4D seems just way more silly? Taking place at the "Mayonaka Stage" presumably involves dancing to save the world or something... kinda funny.

At this point, though, they can do whatever they want to with P3 and P4. The spotlight's on P5.
Nah you're not the only one. P4A seems like a perfectly acceptable continuation of the story; the basis hasn't changed (Persona users VS Shadows). The only difference is the gameplay.

P4D is primarily about dancing... which is pretty bizarre, even for P4 standards. I hope it doesn't affect the P4 universe too much because I can't imagine the heroes being able to fight baddies by dancing... Jesus could you imagine if they took down a new big bad by dancing?

Dantis

It's worth pointing out that Catherine's S Links explored some really dark and depressing themes. The main plot is pretty depressing and mature until the game turns batshit insane on the final chapter too.

Nah you're not the only one. P4A seems like a perfectly reasonable sequel; the basis hasn't changed (Persona users VS Shadows). The only difference is the gameplay.

P4D is primarily about dancing... which is pretty bizarre, even for P4 standards. I hope it doesn't affect the P4 universe too much because I can't imagine the heroes being able to fight baddies by dancing... Jesus could you imagine if they took down a new big bad by dancing?

I disagree with this so much, but I suppose it's all about how you interpret it.

cjkeats

Looooooooooooooooool.

If there's anything going to be linked to True Story, I'd say it would or should be Rise's outfit from the True Story opening in the anime. There's a small figure of it too.
Pn6o87I.jpg

FluxWaveZ

The detective work you guys do blows my mind sometimes.

But y'know, if the theme is gonna be all about the "easy way out", something I'd be really interested in seeing is how Persona could seriously tackle suicide (suicidal thoughts, specifically). P3 flirted with it a bit (mostly concerning Evokers and
Ken and Shinjiro
), but nothing serious. It'd be heavy stuff, for sure, but I think if any team could handle it with any degree of grace, it's Hashino's crew.

"Freeing one's chains" and the catharsis from doing so actually means finding relief in killing yourself and ending your miserable existence.

No, even I kinda thought that way, despite knowing that the concept is absolutely perfect for a franchise that has live converts almost every year. :p

Glad I'm not the only one. Taking down a new big bad that wants to kill everyone by its menacing new style of dance sounds hilarious, though.

Sophia

Glad I'm not the only one. Taking down a new big bad that wants to kill everyone by its menacing new style of dance sounds hilarious, though.

I do kinda wish it was story free and not directly linked to Persona 4, like how the Project Diva games are tho.

I hope Rise does wear that for the song!

Yeah, the majority of the outfits are based on the source material or are relevant to the song.

Squire

Banned
Lol.

Who are you playing as, out of curiosity? I don't think I've ever seen you mention your favourite character(s).

In fact, I'll expand that out to everyone, who is everyone going to play as on P4D?

As it stands? Rise. I'm very curious to see Yukiko though, if she makes it in.

Gazoinks

Lol.

Who are you playing as, out of curiosity? I don't think I've ever seen you mention your favourite character(s).

In fact, I'll expand that out to everyone, who is everyone going to play as on P4D?

I'll play around with everyone, but yeah Kanji. Hypothetically. Don't have a Vita.

Lunar15

I feel like theme of suicide as the "easy way out" was already somewhat expressed in P3. Then again, that was more about dealing with death, where as this could be more about dealing with stress, grind, and the feeling of a worthless existence. What I heard from my friends who grew up in japan is that there is a very strong cultural idea that once you leave high school, everything becomes one massive grind, more so than how Americans view it. There's very little movement between companies, so you're often locked into the first place you work for a very long time.

Hashino's games have all lightly touched upon topical psychological issues in Japan. P3 was clearly about the high suicide rate in japan and the feeling of hopelessness that leads to suicide. P4 was about dealing with people who cover up the truth from society, which while not specific to Japan, has a very large presence in japanese society. (If you've ever seen Freakonomics, they talk about this in depth, in the section about Sumo Wrestlers cheating). Catherine was definitely a reference to the declining marital and birth rates in japan (and other affluent societies), where men are becoming less dominant and more indecisive.

I'm not saying these games were breathtaking exposés on pressing issues, but rather that Hashino's team takes themes from what's actually affecting people at the time.

Lol.

The two I want to play as haven't been announced yet. Naoto and Yukiko.

But, I will play as Kanji.

Moonlight

Banned
Rise, of course. Not only is she the best, if there's one thing Golden needed, it was Rise costumes. Given that she's practically guaranteed to have tons of them in P4D, I can satisfy my need through this game!

I feel like theme of suicide as the "easy way out" was already somewhat expressed in P3. Then again, that was more about dealing with death, where as this could be more about dealing with stress, grind, and the feeling of a worthless existence.

Hashino's games have all lightly touched upon topical psychological issues in Japan. P3 was clearly about the high suicide rate in japan and the feeling of hopelessness that leads to suicide. P4 was about dealing with people who cover up the truth from society, which while not specific to Japan, has a very large presence in japanese society. (If you've ever seen Freakonomics, they talk about this in depth, in the section about Sumo Wrestlers cheating). Catherine was definitely a reference to the declining marital and birth rates in japan (and other affluent societies), where men are becoming less dominant and more indecisive.

I'm not saying these games were breathtaking exposés on pressing issues, but rather that Hashino's team takes themes from what's actually affecting people at the time.

Damn, Should have played Catherine. If only my 360 hadn't red ringed. :\

Dantis

Too much Rise love here. Of the announced characters, I'll be using Narukami. I'll use Teddie if he's in and Naoto if she doesn't look silly.

I feel like theme of suicide as the "easy way out" was already somewhat expressed in P3. Then again, that was more about dealing with death, where as this could be more about dealing with stress, grind, and the feeling of a worthless existence.

Well, I mean, more broadly, they're all about this idea of overcoming something. P3 is about coming to terms with inescapable truths, P4 is about accepting personal flaws and Catherine is about overcoming various forms of infidelity (Amongst other things). I think Persona 5 will be about getting a grip on the parts of your life that drag you down. Maybe it will be smoking, or drinking or who knows what? But I think that might be the way that it goes.

PK Gaming

Lol.

I'm pretty exclusively going to use Narukami.

And maaaaaaaaybe Kanamin.

Dantis

I've literally only just realised that Rise's whole getup on P4D is an idol version of her P4 uniform (I'd already realised that Narukami's was). Perhaps that will be the theme for each character?

Also, the P5 thread has gone to shit. Arguments abound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom