• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

On another note, rewatching the third and fourth trailers for the Persona 3 movie... I'm starting to see Noriaki Akitaya's signature style creep in. Lots of attention has been made to where characters are in a scene and what they're doing in it.

I just dislike having to rely on it when I feel like I should be making a more active effort to try more challenging maneuvers.

Getting your basics down is far more important than trying challenging maneuvers.

FluxWaveZ

I just dislike having to rely on it when I feel like I should be making a more active effort to try more challenging maneuvers.

Well, then this might be a fundamental reason why you lack compatibility with the genre. The point isn't to look flashy or pull off the most technical, advanced stuff possible. The point is to win.

And where I'm going with this isn't towards the point of abusing anything you can to not lose (which is a very valid one), but towards the point that advanced combos are one of the last things one should attempt to learn when trying to get good at a fighting game. If you don't know how to block and be aggressive when you need to, combos won't help.

One of the things auto-combos help new players do (and stuff like two-button DPs) is take their minds off of matters of execution and make them think more about the neutral game, which is what's actually important and not challenging maneuvers one finds in Challenge Mode or in a combo video.

I actuallly used a lot of auto-combos in the beginning, because I couldn't do any of the harder combos, even after some practice I couldn't finish most of the challenges, they're completely insane, I guess I'd need to play more, and also get a stick?

I'm not really sure how fighting games work to be honest, sometimes I can't understand a thing the players are saying.

FluxWaveZ

I actuallly used a lot of auto-combos in the beginning, because I couldn't do any of the harder combos, even after some practice I couldn't finish most of the challenges, they're completely insane, I guess I'd need to play more, and also get a stick?

I'm not really sure how fighting games work to be honest, sometimes I can't understand a thing the players are saying.

- Challenge mode combos are unnecessary and mostly inefficient (which is why it's "Challenge" mode; a lot of the best players won't even bother with the complicated ones because there's the high risk of dropping them. The goal of a combo mid-match isn't to challenge yourself, it's to pull it off with a high potential success rate)
- An arcade stick is unnecessary (unless you play Shadow Labrys)
- Terminology is unnecessary (unless you're at the point where something like "negative edge" and "okizime" are something you actually need to understand, and one needs to have done a lot of playing to get to that point)

Caladrius

Getting your basics down is far more important than trying challenging maneuvers.

Well, then this might be a fundamental reason why you lack compatibility with the genre. The point isn't to look flashy or pull off the most technical, advanced stuff possible. The point is to win.

And where I'm going with this isn't towards the point of abusing anything you can to not lose (which is a very valid one), but towards the point that advanced combos are one of the last things one should attempt to learn when trying to get good at a fighting game. If you don't know how to block and be aggressive when you need to, combos won't help.

One of the things auto-combos help new players do (and stuff like two-button DPs) is take their minds off of matters of execution and make them think more about the neutral game, which is what's actually important and not challenging maneuvers one finds in Challenge Mode or in a combo video.

Challenging maneuvers may not have been the best choice of words, I meant being able to execute the inputs for individual attacks consistently. I've always had trouble with executing moves that require stick rotations and combinations of buttons. I will keep those things in mind though.

FluxWaveZ

Challenging maneuvers may not have been the best choice of words, I meant being able to execute the inputs for individual attacks consistently. I've always had trouble with executing moves that require stick rotations and combinations of buttons. I will keep those things in mind though.

Oh, so QCF/QCB motions (which are the only motions in P4A aside from S. Lab and Mitsuru's charge motions)? All that should take is a straight hour or two in training mode just pulling them off over and over again to gain it as muscle memory.

Today I have begun on the road to betterment in Arena... and can't try out the new stuff I learned online 'cos my smelly Internet connection is playing up.
Yeah. No one starts playing a fighting game and is suddenly great at it. It's why I don't fully understand the complaints of people claiming they suck at fighting games. It just takes (a lot of) time and effort and actual motivation to improve and do research on the game.

I didn't feel like I really knew what I was doing until I hit the 1,000 - 1,500 matches played mark in P4A. I'm at 7k-8k now and I still feel like I have a lot to improve.

P4A was the first fighting game I played seriously and I made it a conscious effort and goal to get good at it, which has paid off.
What's your win percentage?
I'm probably gonna go back and forth between Yukari and Aigis. :S
If there's gonna be a Junpei-off we should totally have an Aigis vs. Aigis match :p

- Challenge mode combos are unnecessary and mostly inefficient (which is why it's "Challenge" mode; a lot of the best players won't even bother with the complicated ones because there's the high risk of dropping them. The goal of a combo mid-match isn't to challenge yourself, it's to pull it off with a high potential success rate)
- An arcade stick is unnecessary (unless you play Shadow Labrys)
- Terminology is unnecessary (unless you're at the point where something like "negative edge" and "okizime" are something you actually need to understand, and one needs to have done a lot of playing to get to that point)

-Hmm I see, I'm glad then, I can barely manage to do them with no enemy, let alone use it in battle.
-Oh I thought that everyone that got addicted got one because it was easier to use (I find them harder though, but I figure this is because of lack of practice)
-Yeahh umm, it's not secret I have no ideia what those mean, but thanks! It's nice not having to remember so many things.

FluxWaveZ

Today I have begun on the road to betterment in Arena... and can't try out the new stuff I learned online 'cos my smelly Internet connection is playing up.

What's your win percentage?

Well, first off, (online) win percentage is meaningless. It is in no way directly proportional to a player's skill level and that's particularly apt in my case where I've fooled around in a lot of my matches, Player and Ranked matches alike.

That said:

Out of 7,917 total matches, I've won 5,750, making for a total win ratio of 72%. 76% in Ranked, 70% in Player.

Edit: Oh cool, still ranked in the top 10 S. Labs in terms of PSR. What a crap ranking system; they gotta fix that in P4A2.

-Oh I thought that everyone that got addicted got one because it was easier to use (I find them harder though, but I figure this is because of lack of practice)

There are a whole lot of tournament level players who use a controller. Many people go with arcade sticks because that is what they're used to from playing in actual arcades. It's all a matter of personal preference, and someone who's used to playing with a controller will definitely have a significant period of adjustment if they decide to switch to playing with an arcade stick. Neither control scheme makes for an inherently better player (unless, again, you play a character that kinda needs a stick like S. Labrys).

Caladrius

^Clumsy I must say that avatar is absolutely baller.

I was on the fence about picking up Ultimax, but I think I'll give it a go. Thanks folks.

todd360

The thing is everyone gets destroyed online once in a fighting game. It's impossible to know if it's for your or not off one game, because only those uber rare genius level players don't get destroyed their first few games.

It takes practice to win, and it doesn't help that Story mode's difficulty is basically near impossible to lose.

I know it takes a lot of practice. Its just that I can't justify putting in all the work to get good at the game. I like the game but its not really something I want to become pro level at just because it involves persona. I just feel like I don't really enjoy fighting games enough to try to get good.

It's a reference to Gurren Lagann ED1

Oh my god.

I feel stupid because I love Gurren Lagann but always skipped the endings.
kGicxQW.jpg

I'm game. Aigis vs Aigis mirror matches are hilarious. I'm out of practice however.
I-I NE-EED-ED YO-OU-UR HA-AAL-LP

There are a whole lot of tournament level players who use a controller. Many people go with arcade sticks because that is what they're used to from playing in actual arcades. It's all a matter of personal preference, and someone who's used to playing with a controller will definitely have a significant period of adjustment if they decide to switch to playing with an arcade stick. Neither control scheme makes for an inherently better player (unless, again, you play a character that kinda needs a stick like S. Labrys).

I get it now, it all depends on the player, the character, probably the game... Never thought much about it, but it doesn't seem that hard, I guess I'll "stick" with my controller then. That joke was really lame and I am aware, I'm so sorry.

^Clumsy I must say that avatar is absolutely baller.

Ohh thanks, I'm kind of sleepy now but I'll try to improve it later!

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, that Shadow Naoto face filled with disgust and belittlement is just too good. Reposting this list of Shadows we've seen in P4A2 for those who haven't seen it:

Shadows

Yu Narukami (Portrait 1, Win Pose, Win Pose 2)
Chie (Portrait 1, Intro 1)
Yosuke (Portrait 1, Portrait 2)
Naoto (Portrait 1, Portrait 2, Win Pose)
Kanji (Portrait 1, Intro 1, Intro 2, Win Pose)
Mitsuru (Portrait 1, Win Pose)
Aigis (Portrait 1)
Junpei (Portrait 1)
Yukari (Portrait 1, Intro 1)
Akihiko (Portrait 1)

We're still missing so many and there's been nothing new from loketest #3... You'd think someone would have taken a pic of "Shadow" Labrys at some point or something.

Yeah, that Shadow Naoto face filled with disgust and belittlement is just too good. Reposting this list of Shadows we've seen in P4A2 for those who haven't seen it:

Shadows

Yu Narukami (Portrait 1)
Chie (Portrait 1)
Naoto (Portrait 1, Portrait 2)
Mitsuru (Portrait 1)
Aigis (Portrait 1)
Junpei (Portrait 1)
Yukari (Portrait 1)

We're still missing so many and there's been nothing new from loketest #3... You'd think someone would have taken a pic of "Shadow" Labrys at some point or something.

Wow I hadn't seen Mitsuru's and Aigis's yet! Mitsuru's psycho face looks awesome! Thanks for posting this.

Moonlight

Banned
Shadow Kanji's intro stuff is absolutely hysterical, and makes me really excited for the kind of personality we'll see come out of the Shadows.

Chie's probably has my favourite expression. So dang malevolent.

Well, first off, (online) win percentage is meaningless. It is in no way directly proportional to a player's skill level and that's particularly apt in my case where I've fooled around in a lot of my matches, Player and Ranked matches alike.

That said:

Out of 7,917 total matches, I've won 5,750, making for a total win ratio of 72%. 76% in Ranked, 70% in Player.

Edit: Oh cool, still ranked in the top 10 S. Labs in terms of PSR. What a crap ranking system; they gotta fix that in P4A2.
Whooa. Welp, if win percentage really is meaningless maybe I'll just ignore it :p. I'm not sure what PSR is though... only that it goes up a little every match and I don't know what for.
I'm game. Aigis vs Aigis mirror matches are hilarious. I'm out of practice however.
I ain't much good at this game anyways... yet. That's why I'm getting back into Arena now so I can put up a fight when Ultimax comes around!
We should play together some time, I need to get better as well, theres always an Arena tourney at a local con and I would love to enter it.
Sure.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Shadow Kanji's intro stuff is absolutely hysterical, and makes me really excited for the kind of personality we'll see come out of the Shadows.

Chie's probably has my favourite expression. So dang malevolent.

Shadow Chie scares me :(

Caladrius

My god it's only a week away.

That Sunday is going to be insane no matter what.

Will I emerge victorious in the avatar bet that I never wanted to win?

Will NeoGAF melt down?

Will our savior be delivered unto us!?

Find out next week ONNNNN

PERSONAGAF

Snakeyes

Shadows

Yu Narukami (Portrait 1)
Chie (Portrait 1)
Naoto (Portrait 1, Portrait 2)
Mitsuru (Portrait 1)
Aigis (Portrait 1)
Junpei (Portrait 1)
Yukari (Portrait 1, Intro 1)

Goddamn Shadow Junpei, you scary.

Levito

Banned
Brace for tears of joy and/or hatred!

It's going to be hard going back to the PS3's laggy OS compared to the PS4, but I ready. Ees normal in Brazil.

Will be sending out PM's regarding who's on next week's episode tomorrow by the way. I have a feeling this will be a multy part topic so everyone that wants on will get on regardless.

Should I do a questions post on the podcast website?

I wonder if the Shadow characters are going to have different insta-kills. I need to see their P4 boss version in the game like you don't understand. I.MUST.INSTAKILL.SOMEONE.WITH.THIS.GUY.
571338-untitled_2.png

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if the Shadow characters are going to have different insta-kills.

I wouldn't count on it since that seems like a little too much effort. All of the Shadow version IKs will probably be the same as the normal versions. Seeing Shadow Yu pull off Yu's would be a bit weird, though, so maybe that could be an exception (or not).

Squire

Banned
It's going to be hard going back to the PS3's laggy OS compared to the PS4, but I ready. Ees normal in Brazil.

Will be sending out PM's regarding who's on next week's episode tomorrow by the way. I have a feeling this will be a multy part topic so everyone that wants on will get on regardless.

Should I do a questions post on the podcast website?

Yeah, I think so. If the site goes live at 8AM and we record at 2, that gives people time to react, think, and then post a question if they have it.

We won't know anymore than they do, of course.

Edit: And I agree. Goddamn I'd love P5 and P4A2 on PS4. I'll take PS3 no problem, but damn, son.

That feel when last gen.

Caladrius

I wonder if the Shadow characters are going to have different insta-kills. I need to see their P4 boss version in the game like you don't understand. I.MUST.INSTAKILL.SOMEONE.WITH.THIS.GUY.
571338-untitled_2.png

Looks like someone ordered a STUPID LOOKING BOSS!

Disclaimer:
I do not think Yosuke's shadow is significantly more ridiculous than his compatriots.

Only really "good" shadow boss design wise is probably Shadow Teddie. He's awesome. Edit: Actually his voice and "characterization" is awesome enough to bring him up a lot.

Oh shit, I just realized, we get to play Shadow Teddie? YES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom