• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

You tellin' me Jiraiya could've been an awesome samurai riding a frog instead of Disco Ninja Frog? For shame.

also lol at Susano-o's hair poking out of the bottom of the frame.

Susano-O was the only ultimate Persona that I liked far less than the one preceding it. That is not sufficiently funky! That older design is cool but doesn't really suit Yosuke.

I'm saying it's too cool for him. >__>

Gazoinks

Susano-O was the only ultimate Persona that I liked far less than the one preceding it. That is not sufficiently funky!

Honestly, I liked most of the first stage Personas more in P4. The only ones I thought looked significantly better were Kanji's and Naoto's.

Honestly, I liked most of the first stage Personas more in P4. The only ones I thought looked significantly better were Kanji's and Naoto's.
I mostly agree, only with Chie's instead of Kanji's. Suzuka Gongen is definitely the coolest of the P4 character's personas imo.

teddie-spinnin.gif
teddie-spinnin.gif

teddie-spinnin.gif
teddie-spinnin.gif

teddie-spinnin.gif
teddie-spinnin.gif

todd360

It's going to be hard going back to the PS3's laggy OS compared to the PS4, but I ready. Ees normal in Brazil.

Will be sending out PM's regarding who's on next week's episode tomorrow by the way. I have a feeling this will be a multy part topic so everyone that wants on will get on regardless.

Should I do a questions post on the podcast website?

The episode is going to be about discussing the countdown reveal right? What kind of questions could people come up with beforehand? I feel like if the reveal is p5 then their will be plenty to discuss already.

Gazoinks

more designs?
Izanagi

Tomoe

Take-Mikazuchi

Kintoki-Douji

Himiko

Himiko was going to be bigger, but PS2 screen limitations. And Jiraiya was the first persona designed.

Awesome stuff.

Take-mikazuchi's original designs were really different. Cool designs, especially the big middle one, but the current version probably fits Kanji's character best.

Early Kintoki-Douji is scary just like early Teddie.

Can't even tell what's going on in most of those Himiko sketches.

Lunar15

For a lot of these designs, it looks like they started out way more traditional japanese looking. Over time the designs became something far more modern and sleek.

Caladrius

Why the obsession with jets and rockets for Teddies personae?

The figure Teddie's Persona is based off of carried a tomahawk. Teddie's persona carry tomahawk missiles instead. More modern looking that way. Most of the Personas from 3 and 4 look very futuristic and having a plain old axe kind of messes that up.

Gazoinks

For a lot of these designs, it looks like they started out way more traditional japanese looking. Over time the designs became something far more modern and sleek.

Yeah. Since P4 is set in a more rural setting and is based on Japanese mythology, it seems like they might've been initially aiming for a more traditional Japanese folky vibe before going all modern and hip.

The figure Teddie's Persona is based off of carried a tomahawk. Teddie's persona carry tomahawk missiles instead. More modern looking that way. Most of the Personas from 3 and 4 look very futuristic and having a plain old axe kind of messes that up.

So it's a folklore pun.

I understand the Kintoki-douji/Kintaro tomahawk missile pun, but in the sketch in the upper middle he has an axe AND for some reason his body is a jet turbine.

plus Kamui and Kamui-Moshiri continue this theme and they have no references to tomahawks or any of that

Sophia

They aren't? I didn't know and I'm so sorry! I'll remove them.

They appear to be from the English release of the Persona 4 Official Design Works, which is a retail book, and thus linking them is against the rules. The P3 concept arts I linked earlier were freely available on AtlusNet, hence the difference.

pan-hime

They appear to be from the English release of the Persona 4 Official Design Works, which is a retail book, and thus linking them is against the rules. The P3 concept arts I linked earlier were freely available on AtlusNet, hence the difference.

I see. Are Udon site previews ok though?
Edited my posts already. I'm such a fool.

Sophia

I see. Are Udon site previews ok though?
Edited my posts already. I'm such a fool.

That you would need to run by a mod for confirmation, although my gut instinct tells me they'd be okay if sourced.

And lots of juniors make that mistake. Dun worry. :p

Pirabear

Banned
I think my favorite concept art are the different designs for Kanji. All of them look awesome and I wished they recycled some for another character.

kewlmyc

Yeah, that Shadow Naoto face filled with disgust and belittlement is just too good. Reposting this list of Shadows we've seen in P4A2 for those who haven't seen it:

Shadows

Yu Narukami (Portrait 1)
Chie (Portrait 1)
Yosuke (Portrait 1, Portrait 2)
Naoto (Portrait 1, Portrait 2)
Kanji (Portrait 1, Intro 1, Intro 2, Win Pose)
Mitsuru (Portrait 1)
Aigis (Portrait 1)
Junpei (Portrait 1)
Yukari (Portrait 1, Intro 1)

We're still missing so many and there's been nothing new from loketest #3... You'd think someone would have taken a pic of "Shadow" Labrys at some point or something.

Shadow Aigis makes me feel weird.

PK Gaming

Does vanilla Kanji get OP in later levels? Because a Physical attacker is generally less appealing for grinding level in SMT back when health was still for physical skills, at least without nice incentive. Kanji wasn't fun to use early on when you get him.

He starts getting good when you get access to his stronger physical skills (heavy level skills) in addition to Matarujaka. Just stick with him (or don't, if you prefer Chie as a character).

Vanilla Kanji is still fairly strong, but not as good as Chie. Kanji has a huge HP pool for physical skills though, enough to last until you need to heal your whole party.

That literally couldn't be farther from the truth.

Vanilla Chie has absolutely nothing over Vanilla Kanji, and yet there's this prevailing thought that she's better. Crappier spells(Bufula is her highest level spell), crappier Physical skills, 0 support skills (and Kanji gets some really good ones) and 25 levels of having to use Black Spot. Oh and he gets Primal Force, which is unquestionably one of the best skills in the game. Vanilla Chie sucks.

Sophia

also, ha, Soejima does mention early Junpei looking like Mark from P1.

Oh that's hilarious. Junpei's actor (Kosuke Toriumi) voices Mark in the Drama CD for Persona 1 that was released after the PSP version.

Vanilla Chie has absolutely nothing over Vanilla Kanji, and yet there's this prevailing thought that she's better. Crappier spells(Bufula is her highest level spell), crappier Physical skills, 0 support skills (and Kanji gets some really good ones) and 25 levels of having to use Black Spot. Oh and he gets Primal Force, which is unquestionably one of the best skills in the game. Vanilla Chie sucks.

Yup. In the original game Kanji is superior for much of the mid and end game. Chie does have a small niche however.

Gazoinks

He starts getting good when you get access to his stronger physical skills (heavy level skills) in addition to Matarujaka.

That literally couldn't be farther from the truth.

Vanilla Chie has absolutely nothing over Vanilla Kanji, and yet there's this prevailing thought that she's better. Crappier spells(Bufula is her highest level spell), crappier Physical skills, 0 support skills (and Kanji gets some really good ones) and 25 levels of having to use Black Spot. Vanilla Chie sucks.

My party in vanilla P4 was Chie, Kanji, and Yukiko. :D

Caladrius

Yup. In the original game Kanji is superior for much of the mid and end game. Chie does have a small niche however.

Is it a GALACTIC niche?

And I could have sworn poer-charged God Hand Chie outdamaged Primal Force Kanji.

I still used Kanji either way so whatever.

I like the characters that came later on a lot more than the early ones, so Chie and Yukiko were replaced literally the moment I got Kanji and Teddie respectively. Yosuke was ironically the one I didn't dump in Vanilla.

I didn't have a party per-se because I tried to use every character equally (and got my ass handed to me a few times because of it)

but if I did it would have been: Teddie, Yosuke, Chie.

PK Gaming

Is it a GALACTIC niche?

And I could have sworn poer-charged God Hand Chie outdamaged Primal Force Kanji.

Power Charge God Hand was actually weaker than 2 rounds of Primal Force.

:lol

Primal Force had stupidly high base power.

Sophia

Is it a GALACTIC niche?

In a single attack yes, but Primal Force will equal or out-damage God Hand over the course of a fight.

God Hand has a base power of 1600. Multiplied by 2.5 for Power Charge, means you get a base power of 4000. Primal Force has a base power of 2200.

Chie over four turns: Power Charge - 4000 - Power Charge - 4000 = 8000 base power.

Kanji over four turns: 2200 - 2200 - 2200 - 2200 = 8800 base power.

On average, over the course of a fight, Kanji's damage will be higher. Mind you, this all falls apart if the enemy is weak to physical due to how Power Charge works. But how many enemies are weak to physical in the game? Almost none, because of the merging of physical categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom