• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

I'd like something more like Theatrhythm simply because the story would be non-canonical. The girly parts can stay, seeing as thats half their audience. :D

I doubt this. I think a lot of their male fans enjoy that kind of thing anyway, but I don't think it's even close to half of their audience that are female.

No, it's not. At all. All the original staff except Okada was credited. (Well, the Japanese voices actors weren't credited, but Atlus USA probably removed them like they did in P3/P4's credits.)

I was thinking about the Ninja Gaiden releases after Itagaki left Tecmo. Pretty sure he wasn't credited for any of those either.

Squire

Banned
Question: Hashino says that P4D came about because fans wanted a game focused around the Persona music. How would everyone have felt if it was more like Theatrhythm? As in, less, you know, girly.

EDIT: Before somebody gets mad at me, I basically mean if it wasn't centered around idols and J pop and dance battles and whatnot.

I think it would've been totally fine, but honestly? I think they had to go the idol route because of Rise. If they hadn't that would've started a line of query as to why.

And really, none of this needs to be canon, regardless of the form it comes in. I'm surprised they're endeavoring to keep it that way.

Edit: And dude, nice save, but you really have to knock it off with this "girly" shit. I know you don't mean to offend, but please, join us in 2013.

Sophia

I doubt this. I think a lot of their male fans enjoy that kind of thing anyway, but I don't think it's even close to half of their audience that are female.

It is in no way conclusive, but the numbers and ratios from the P3 Movie suggest otherwise.

Squire

Banned
It's in no way conclusive, but the numbers and ratios from the P3 Movie suggest otherwise.

And you could probably gather a pretty good amount of anecdotal evidence yourself.

I'm not gonna poll my twitter feed or anything, but it seems like quite a few women like Persona. I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumbered males in the western fanbase.

Meia

Honestly, I can't be too surprised that they chose this form for the music game. When your series actually has had a few idols and stuff here and there, and 4 features an idol, it's kind of the perfect way to do this.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is they apparently just can't go "Oh, it's not really canonical, just a kind of "what if" thing we thought would make for a fun setting." Like everything else in terms of rhythm games, how well I'll enjoy the game is probably going to come down to which songs they choose to do, and if they do "remix" them, that I'll actually like the newer versions of them.

Jintor

Yes because there's no line between extremely cutesy and feminine and hyper macho garbage.

there's a far greater amount of shit that leans macho garbage than girly

I really do find you harping on about how 'girly' it is or isn't extremely irritating, to be honest

Squire

Banned
It would be dumb to not do it as an idol game.

Rise is an idol.

The fanbase loves her.

There's no better alternative.

Dantis

I think it would've been totally fine, but honestly? I think they had to go the idol route because of Rise. If they hadn't that would've started a line of query as to why.

And really, none of this needs to be canon, regardless of the form it comes in. I'm surprised they're endeavoring to keep it that way.

Edit: And dude, nice save, but you really have to knock it off with this "girly" shit. I know you don't mean to offend, but please, join us in 2013.

Unless you have a better word for it, then girly and/or feminine is what I'm sticking with.

It is in no way conclusive, but the numbers and ratios from the P3 Movie suggest otherwise.

I'm not convinced that it suggests anything, haha.

Honestly, I can't be too surprised that they chose this form for the music game. When your series actually has had a few idols and stuff here and there, and 4 features an idol, it's kind of the perfect way to do this.

The only thing that kind of bugs me is they apparently just can't go "Oh, it's not really canonical, just a kind of "what if" thing we thought would make for a fun setting." Like everything else in terms of rhythm games, how well I'll enjoy the game is probably going to come down to which songs they choose to do, and if they do "remix" them, that I'll actually like the newer versions of them.

It's mildly concerning that the remixes aren't in-house. I think it's likely they're going to J-pop-ify them all.

dkoy

I'm never here whenever there's discussion going on :(

Where did Atlus state explicitly that P4D is canon? I haven't seen it anywhere so I'm taking it as a "what if" scenario already.

Question: Hashino says that P4D came about because fans wanted a game focused around the Persona music. How would everyone have felt if it was more like Theatrhythm? As in, less, you know, girly.

EDIT: Before somebody gets mad at me, I basically mean if it wasn't centered around idols and J pop and dance battles and whatnot.

Ah. Frustrating, but not too bad then, I suppose.

I think this is maybe a common practice, right?
I'd have preferred that. I'd like to play a Theathrhythm level set to Kimi no Kioku. I imagine they could rearrange it so that it could fit the idol setting, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Then again the rearranges they're going to come up with now could still be great.

Squire

Banned
Unless you have a better word for it, then girly and/or feminine is what I'm sticking with.

Man, come on. Really.

Dancing is a gender neutral art. What's "girly"? Floral colors and sparkles? 'Cause P4 is full of those and you like that game so much you bought it three times.

Meia

I think the point is more, "Why change the songs at all, I'd KILL for a music game that featured, you know, the actual SONGS from the games, like a Theaterrhythm."

:p

Squire

Banned
I think the point is more, "Why change the songs at all, I'd KILL for a music game that featured, you know, the actual SONGS from the games, like a Theaterrhythm."

:p

Nothing is stopping them from including the original versions for some songs, but remixes specifically for the purpose of making a song more suitable to dance to is a cornerstone of pop.

And now I realize I can't wait to hear "Sky's The Limit" and "Beauty of Destiny" remixed.

The next P Music Fes is going to be so hype when they inevitably use a few (or a ton of) P4D tunes.

Sophia

Yeah the next music concert is going to be nuts. Persona Q music, Persona 4 DAN music, Persona 3 movie music, Persona 5 music.... o_o

Dantis

Man, come on. Really.

Dancing is a gender neutral art.
What's "girly"? Floral colors and sparkles? 'Cause P4 is full of those and you like that game so much you bought it three times.

It sure is. I know a few dancers. One guy I know is an incredible dancer. Completely amazing.

He doesn't dance like this though. This is a particular niche. One that I think 'most people' (Whatever that even really means) would consider pretty feminine.

It's the vibrant pink backdrop, it's the flowers, it's the outfits, it's the actual dances themselves. Dancing can absolutely be a masculine thing, but this doesn't have a trace of it.

I'm not even saying that that's a bad thing. It's not going to stop me playing, but I would have preferred something a little less, personally.

Hey hey hey hey. Daisuke Asakura is more than just mere Japanese Pop. You should not be acting like the lead of Iceman is a bad thing! :|

Glorious Gate Odyssey for those who want to listen.

That's... fine, I guess. It's not bad. But it's not something that I'd listen to. And most importantly, it isn't Meguro. ;)

Yeah the next music concert is going to be nuts. Persona Q music, Persona 4 DAN music, Persona 3 movie music, Persona 5 music.... o_o

I think the only P4D music they use will be the original tracks that they write for it. I can't imagine them doing the remixes over the in-game versions.

Squire

Banned
It sure is. I know a few dancers. One guy I know is an incredible dancer. Completely amazing.

He doesn't dance like this though. This is a particular niche. One that I think 'most people' (Whatever that even really means) would consider pretty feminine.

It's the vibrant pink backdrop, it's the flowers, it's the outfits, it's the actual dances themselves. Dancing can absolutely be a masculine thing, but this doesn't have a trace of it.

I'm not even saying that that's a bad thing. It's not going to stop me playing, but I would have preferred something a little less, personally.

So basically less of the stuff that P4 practically oozes.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

fertygo

I don't know if its girly, but I thought the dancing so far shown good balance of street dance and pop.. its closer to disco atmosphere instead idol-ish so far which I'm kinda surprised.

And the logo is disco ball, so its there to stay I guess.

Dantis

We're discussing, not fighting.

Saccharine? Idol culture? Idol focused? Come on man

Of all the things I say, this is the one that bothers you? I'm actually surprised.

I don't know if its girly, but I thought the dancing so far shown good balance of street dance and pop.. its closer to disco atmosphere instead idol-ish so far which I'm kinda surprised.

And the logo is disco ball, so its there to stay I guess.

I disagree.

Dantis

Weren't you just saying the other day you liked the art of Yu in those magazine scans? That's a classic disco pose.

The Soejima art is amazing. The dances don't show anywhere near that level of style though (From the... uh... thirty seconds we see in the trailer...). The dances were less disco and more FFX-2.

Clearly, P4DAN needs the Bee Gees in just for Narukami to dance to.

Someone get on the phone to Atlus!

Dantis

Is it just me or is P3P quite a bit harder than P4G? I had no problems with P4G on normal but i'm struggling with P3P on easy.

P4G was absurdly easy. I suppose it was to make it more approachable.

P3P is still much, much easier than P3 and FES. You just need to be more careful than in P4 and make sure you save often when you're in Tartarus.

gender politics stuff riles me up in any form I guess

Clearly, haha!

Meia

Is it just me or is P3P quite a bit harder than P4G? I had no problems with P4G on normal but i'm struggling with P3P on easy.

In general, P4G is just really really REALLY easy. 3P is easier than Fes was if you consider you can actually control your own party and you can stay in Tartarus for as long as you want per night.

Each subsequent game/port has been easier than the last, wondering if that's just where they see Persona going in terms of difficulty.

Dantis

In general, P4G is just really really REALLY easy. 3P is easier than Fes was if you consider you can actually control your own party and you can stay in Tartarus for as long as you want per night.

Each subsequent game/port has been easier than the last, wondering if that's just where they see Persona going in terms of difficulty.

All of Hashino's games have been pretty tough. Catherine was so tough that they had to patch in an easier difficulty level.

I'm not worried about P5 being too lax, personally.

Soriku

Finally no more of the same music compromising the entire concert. Though P5 won't be out in time so things will be sparse on that front, until the 2015 concert.

Hmmm, talking about the male:female ratio in the Persona fanbase?

Anedoctal I know, but the other day in Shinjuku girls outnumbered guys in a 60:40 ratio more or less. Definitely more than half, and definitely the most passionate and vocal.

EDIT: Ah I missed the No Fighting post >_<
This thread moves too fast :p

Meia

Finally no more of the same music compromising the entire concert. Though P5 won't be out in time so things will be sparse on that front, until the 2015 concert.

Hey, we got a second lyric to Snowflakes because of that. :p

I do wonder what Kanamin's persona is going to be/look like, as it's about the only reason I can see for going a "story" route in the first place.

Meia

Ugh..Personas were supposed to be activated by specific people, Not handed out like candy to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

I think Personas could be given out freely in 1/2, but they were more restricted in 3 because reasons(I'd imagine the "potential" thing had more to do with people that could probably summon them but didn't have the knowledge how though). 4 probably could be said to have gone back to the free thing, so long as you pass the "trial" to acquire one.

Then again, there kind of was a trial of sorts in the early games too, though I may have just been reading too much into it.

Meia

What was the point of people forcefully using Personas in 3 if they were never gonna use that plot line again? :lol

Just something new? Who knows. It could just be a simple matter of a group like the Kirijos figuring out a way to do it since the more traditional methods are cut off.

I STILL need to get through EP to find out exactly what the bridge between the old and new series is, hrm. "Here, we have this being that bestows Personas to people so long as they can remember their name when he meets them, but suddenly 3 happens and he's nowhere in sight(kinda).

I still want to know if the cast from 4 can summon outside of the TV world. I don't believe they can, but then again I don't know if the cast from 3 can evoke outside the Dark Hour. I think a line in P4A kind of hinted they can't.

Persona 3's Answer spoilz:
I think the "potential" thing in 3 was just people like Mitsuru was when she was a little girl: People who could have a persona appear if put in a life or death situation, due to some inner resolve they already had. The group saw Mitsuru do it, so it wouldn't be too shocking if she was the base that they did the rest of their research on from that point, and even explains the whole "evoker" thing as well, in that just putting a damn gun to your head stimulates the same thing she probably felt when she first summoned.

God I love game-world mechanic discussions. :D

Soriku

I thought the P4 cast might've been able to summon outside if the TV once
the TV world starting merging with the real one.

If they can't...well are Personas really that different? The P3 cast can summon without needing the TV world but the P4 cast can't?

Meia

If they can't...well are Personas really that different? The P3 cast can summon without needing the TV world but the P4 cast can't?

But they may need the Dark Hour to, which probably isn't all that different of a situation then. P1 and P2 were the only ones that really featured the cast mates being able to summon anywhere they wanted to. It COULD just be a case of neither of the later casts having any reason to summon outside of their respective environments, but who knows?

Sophia

But they may need the Dark Hour to, which probably isn't all that different of a situation then. P1 and P2 were the only ones that really featured the cast mates being able to summon anywhere they wanted to. It COULD just be a case of neither of the later casts having any reason to summon outside of their respective environments, but who knows?

Persona 4 Arena is VERY VERY EXPLICIT about the fact that Mitsuru doesn't need any special aid to summon hers. She just needs to concentrate. :p

P4 cast can't summon outside of the TV world, this is mentioned by Rise on the school trip and Yosuke during P4G's band event.

Well I guess they could if they had evokers also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom