• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

Persona 4 Arena is VERY VERY EXPLICIT about the fact that Mitsuru doesn't need any special aid to summon hers. She just needs to concentrate. :p

It was also during Mitsuru's story, the beginning of it, that made it sound like she needed the Dark Hour-like environment she stumbles into to be able to summon in the first place. Haven't played Arena in a long ass time so may be mis-remembering.

Just rewatched it, I'm not wrong necessarily, but again she summons because she has to. I guess we really don't know if there are limits to either cast in regards to this, blah. :p

But yeah, I know she doesn't necessarily need the Evoker, but I've always looked at it as a dual requirement thing: A special time/place and the means.

Sophia

But yeah, I know she doesn't necessarily need the Evoker, but I've always looked at it as a dual requirement thing: A special time/place and the means.

There's no such requirement. Fuuka summons her Persona from the real world at the end of P4A, remember?

Meia

Watching the vid of their supers/instant kills, I just thought their themes were other P3 tracks they hadn't used in games yet, like Junpei's sounded like the Tartarus lobby theme...

Protag

Banned
If you had to pick? The two DDS games. Everyone's told me that the first Radiou game kinda has crap gameplay.

how is DDS in terms of story and characters, considering Atlus' stories, which i love.

and is there a good amount of content?

Sophia

how is DDS in terms of story and characters, considering Atlus' stories, which i love.

Digital Devil Saga is like half way between a traditional RPG and a Megami Tensei game, so the characters are pretty awesome.

You're looking at 40-50 hours for each half. More if you take on the optional bosses in each game, which are among the hardest Atlus has ever made.

Protag

Banned
Digital Devil Saga is like half way between a traditional RPG and a Megami Tensei game, so the characters are pretty awesome.

You're looking at 40-50 hours for each half. More if you take on the optional bosses in each game, which are among the hardest Atlus has ever made.

Hmm, i'm interested even more now. Thats good playtime for each volume.

Trigger

In terms of content and pacing it feels pretty similar to the main SMT games (minus the story branching). In terms of story and characters it's very solid. Probably my favorite cast in an SMT-related game that isn't Persona.

Sophia

Buddha or someone else could probably give you more information about the Raidou games. I haven't played them myself, but from what I hear Raidou 1 has an awesome story but kinda mediocre gameplay. Where as Raidou 2 has awesome gameplay but kind of a mediocre story. Both are action games in contrast to DDS1/2, which are turn based and use the same combat as Nocturne.

EMT0

Banned

Hardest bosses Atlus has ever made.

Atlus has ever made.

Atlus has ever made.

ATLUS has ever made

If these games ever get put on a portable, I'm staying far, far away from the optional bosses.

Sophia

If these games ever get put on a portable, I'm staying far, far away from the optional bosses.

The optional boss in the first DDS game,
The Demi-Fiend
, plays the normal battle music from Nocturne.

Just as a friendly reminder that you're nothing more than a random encounter to him.

cj_iwakura

Hardest bosses Atlus has ever made.

Atlus has ever made.

Atlus has ever made.

ATLUS has ever made

From the optional bosses I've beaten, I'd rank them as:

(No real story spoilers)
Demi-Fiend (DDS) > Elizabeth (Persona 3) > Satan (DDS2) > Lucifer (Nocturne, not REALLY optional but the toughest fight in Nocturne)> Margaret (P4, probably the easiest)

Agreed, None of the new tunes are memorable at all, except for Labrys' music and the main theme.

Also, Raidou 1's gameplay isn't 'crap'. Magna Carta's gameplay is crap. Raidou's is experimental, but perfectly playable.

The story is great.

EMT0

Banned
From the optional bosses I've beaten, I'd rank them as:

(No real story spoilers)
Demi-Fiend (DDS) > Elizabeth (Persona 3) > Satan (DDS2) > Lucifer (Nocturne, not REALLY optional but the toughest fight in Nocturne)> Margaret (P4, probably the easiest)

You fight
the Demi-Fiend
in DDS1? Hot damn.

EMT0

Banned
There's no way I'd eve-wait.

I AM at college. Okay, I take that back. I might actually try that at some point.

on the Vita release :(

cj_iwakura

Ahahahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3nIH7E9Z0

You're not allowed to kill all of his minions, or have elemental immunities equipped. There's probably other rules I don't recall.

Let's see...

-If you take ANY null-skills, you insta-die.
-He's resistant to just about everything except Earth and Almighty. (Since Earth didn't exist in Nocturne, clever of them.
-His demons infinitely respawn.
-After three die, he summons either a Titania or Pixie who tries to put you to sleep. Afterward he casts Gaea Rage. If you have Null Sleep equipped, anyone who falls asleep survives. If no one falls asleep, that's it. So you have to end it as fast as possible. You're lucky to survive ONE of these instances, multiples is a miracle.
-The first team constantly buff/debuff him, as well as Girimehkala throwing out Mamudoons.
-When Demi-Fiend is on his last legs, he gets even stronger.
-He has an insane critical rate, even with Null Critical equipped(which is one of the few he won't kill you for taking).
-If his demons survive more than 30 turns, they suicide and full heal him.

There's a workaround called the Red Star strategy where you can stun-lock his demons into running out of MP, so they can't suicide and full heal him, and you can debuff him to your hearts content and he's stuck with two weak demons, but you still have to survive one Gaea Rage to pull it off.

Dantis

I think 40 - 50 hours seems pretty generous. I got through each half in just over 20.

It's a really great game, though the ending feels somewhat rushed. Really great story, music and art, and no demon negotiation. It's my favourite non-Persona MegaTen game.

Agreed, None of the new tunes are memorable at all, except for Labrys' music and the main theme.

That's the price you pay for not having Meguro on the full OST!

Kitajoh is a much, much weaker composer in my opinion. Even the stuff that isn't bad is forgettable.

cj_iwakura

Heheheh.... Getting to level 99 is pretty much the first step in preparing! :p

By the way, since I'm a lunatic, I can debunk this.

I beat Hitoshura at 97/93/93. Those extra levels really won't help you much. You'll still be on your last legs regardless if he gets a lucky streak going.

fertygo

DDS Gameplay are really great though, my favorite for modern atlus game. Each battle is goddamn satisfying.. argh why I miss the goddamn field hunt.

Soriku

40-50 hours isn't true at all. Main story only, DDS1 is 25-30, DDS2 is 20-25.

IMO Raidou 2 >>>> DDS1 > DDS2. Haven't played Raidou 1. Raidou 2 has very good action gameplay and nice quests. It also isn't as tedious as the DDS games.

kewlmyc

Let's see...

-He's resistant to just about everything except Earth and Almighty. (Since Earth didn't exist in Nocturne, clever of them.
-After three die, he summons either a Titania or Pixie who tries to put you to sleep. Afterward he casts Gaea Rage. If you have Null Sleep equipped, anyone who falls asleep survives. If no one falls asleep, that's it. So you have to end it as fast as possible. You're lucky to survive ONE of these instances, multiples is a miracle.
-The first team constantly buff/debuff him, as well as Girimehkala throwing out Mamudoons.
-He has an insane critical rate, even with Null Critical equipped(which is one of the few he won't kill you for taking).

There's a workaround called the Red Star strategy where you can stun-lock his demons into running out of MP, so they can't suicide and full heal him, and you can debuff him to your hearts content and he's stuck with two weak demons, but you still have to survive one Gaea Rage to pull it off.

I knew people called it the hardest optional boss fight in JRPG history, but holy shit.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
1FBgAVB.jpg

Why does Kanamin wear those big poofy Victorian panty things? They make her look like a literal clown.

Question: Hashino says that P4D came about because fans wanted a game focused around the Persona music. How would everyone have felt if it was more like Theatrhythm? As in, less, you know, girly.

I woulda felt MUCH better than what we got :L. But, and although it pains me to admit it, with persona 4 being so bubblegum pop-y it make sense that they made a big dumb dance J-pop dance game, it just does. Now excuse me I have to go throw up.

fertygo

Its not like FF fan are approve Theaterythm idea from the get go...

They're like "What the fuck is this" or "RIP, Square" like most of them view anything at these day.

Caladrius

Let's see...

So you basically have to do 22500 damage in the space of 90 turns using nothing but Magna and almighty spells?

cj_iwakura

So you basically have to do 22500 damage in the space of 90 turns using nothing but Magna and almighty spells?

The most solid ways of dealing damage are:

Ragnarok with Phys Charge(can do high 900s/early 1k), and it also inflicts Tarunda, which is great for screwing up his demon's buffing. Cu Chulainn is a NIGHTMARE because of this.
Mind-Charged Last Word, maybe 700-800
and Earth Amp/Earth Boost/Mind Charged Teradyne, easily 1200 or so, but it requires solely using Argilla.

Also, Hitoshura's Arahabaki is weak to ice, which is pretty helpful during that phase. You need all the extra turns you can get. The only really tough demons are Cu and Girimehkala. Parvati, Pixie, Titania, and Arahabki aren't nearly as nasty. Parvati can be annoying since she does random elementals though.

Here's another bit of trivia: I had him on the Red Star strategy. Fully debuffed, team fully buffed. I had him under 1,500 HP.

He went crazy. Started attacking everyone with criticals left and right, and almost killed my entire team.

It was terrifying.

Protag

Banned
Alright, ive got to ask this one too. Should i get Soul hackers? ive been debating on whether or not to do so since it came out.

i felt like there wasn't enough content to warrant 40 bucks. Now, its 20, and i think its a good time to act.

How long is it?
how are the characters and story?

cj_iwakura

Alright, ive got to ask this one too. Should i get Soul hackers? ive been debating on whether or not to do so since it came out.

i felt like there wasn't enough content to warrant 40 bucks. Now, its 20, and i think its a good time to act.

How long is it?
how are the characters and story?

Soul Hackers is 30-40ish.

It has my favorite story in SMT, second only to Eternal Punishment. It's fantastic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Its not like FF fan are approve Theaterythm idea from the get go...

They're like "What the fuck is this" or "RIP, Square" like most of them view anything at these day.

What? IIRC most of the responses were actually positive. Some didn't care for the art style, but given the large pool of soundtracks to pull from a ton of us were excited. Still my favorite FF related title in a long time. Can't wait for the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom