• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

Guess I'm the only one in this thread who liked Bioshock Infinite. While the story wasn't perfect and some parts were tedious (fuck that ghost boss), it was the most fun I've had with a shooter in years. Plus the settings were fantastic.

Surprised PersonaGAF, including myself, weren't all gung-ho about GTAV like pretty much everyone else on GAF.
image.php

AHEM so back to Persona. That podcast thing with Lordknight and Dacidbro is happening on Friday.

Man I so wish Suplex was going to be out for EVO, even if it was Japan would just stomp everyone else at that point.

Also, how many of you are going to EVO 2014?
If a nice portion of PersonaGAF goes, I'll go to hang with you guys.

EMT0

Banned
If there was a pun there, it wasn't intentional.

The topic has veered pretty rapidly off course. It's no longer about Persona, or it's stories, or how awesome Aigis is. :(

You DID see the direction of the conversation the last time Aigis was brought up, right?

Necrovex

that's what i've been trying to tell him!

Lara's character development is one of the most laughable piece of writing this generation. It makes Kingdom Heart look Oscar-worthy by comparison!

I couldn't make it past the first hour of Tomb Raider where Lara Croft went through so much ridiculous pain it became comic. Also QTEs. I hear it improved after that, though.

If I get a 3DS for Xmas you can probably add SMTIV and Fire Emblem Awakening to my list. :p

I *really* need to play my copy of SMTIV. It continues to stare at my soul.

As for my top 5 this year:

1.) Gone Home
2.) The Stanley Parable
3.) Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons
4.) Dragon's Crown
5.) The Last Of Us

What is Gone Home? I first saw it on VGX, and its existence confuses me. I still need to play Stanley Parable.

Hell, I have a list of games that I must play: Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 U, Wonderful 101, MGS Revengence, SMT IV, (finish) ACIV, Metro Last Light, X-Com, and Rome Total War II.

Guess I'm the only one in this thread who liked Bioshock Infinite. While the story wasn't perfect and some parts were tedious (fuck that ghost boss), it was the most fun I've had with a shooter in years. Plus the settings were fantastic.

Surprised PersonaGAF, including myself, weren't all gung-ho about GTAV like pretty much everyone else on GAF.

I realized the flaws in Bioshock Infinite, but I quite enjoyed its storytelling.

cj_iwakura

I haven't played many new games this year, but...

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV
2. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
3. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
4. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
5. Killer Is Dead

Honorables: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Class of Heroes II, Black Rock Shooter, Anarchy Reigns

Fire Emblem , Dragon's Crown, and Tales of Xillia will probably wind up there when I finish them.

Caladrius

Good things?

Considering that I'm DTL's trolling, methodical and far more unhinged counterpart?

If there was a pun there, it wasn't intentional.

The topic has veered pretty rapidly off course. It's no longer about Persona, or it's stories, or how awesome Aigis is. :(

You had a typo there and it made me think of MY IMMERSION

And do you want a fanfic about Aigis eating ice cream with E123 Omega, Marcus Fenix and Roxas?

I haven't played many new games this year, but...

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV
2. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
3. Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
4. BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma
5. Killer Is Dead

Honorables: Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Class of Heroes II, Black Rock Shooter, Anarchy Reigns

Fire Emblem and Tales of Xillia will probably wind up there when I finish them.

Deadly Premonition is flawed as hell, but I dare say, despite that, it is quite swell.
Wouldn't you agree Mister Francis York Morrigan? I dare say I will be playing that game some more again.

cj_iwakura

Deadly Premonition is flawed as hell, but I dare say, despite that, it is quite swell.
Wouldn't you agree Mister Francis York Morrigan? I dare say I will be playing that game some more again.

Once it clicked, I couldn't put it down. The story is truly something special.

Sophia

You had a typo there and it made me think of MY IMMERSION

And do you want a fanfic about Aigis eating ice cream with E123 Omega, Marcus Fenix and Roxas?

Aigis eating Ice cream is okay as long as you can keep it in character. No other characters or your OC fanfiction stand-ins tho! :(

PK Gaming

Levito

Banned
If a nice portion of PersonaGAF goes, I'll go to hang with you guys.

I know Armada and myself are going. Trying to convince keats to go as well.

I think Ven, Mo, and Smed are too?

DO IT MAN WE CAN SOCIAL LINK IN REAL LIFE.

What is Gone Home? I first saw it on VGX, and its existence confuses me. I still need to play Stanley Parable.

Gone Home is game you should read nothing about and just play, best experienced that way. All I'll tell you is it made me cry several times in 2 hours.

Deadly Premonition's got a really great story. Tone is way off at times and most of the game is janky and broken as hell, but it's actually pretty damn clever.

cj_iwakura

Deadly Premonition is the Persona 2 of Open World/Horror games confirmed.

The horror segments got on my nerves in DP, but I endured them.

I've done the Arab Map Quests in Eternal Punishment.

All of them.

You have to map out every. single. tile. of a dungeon to get ridiculously OP spell cards. and I do mean OP.

RIP in Peace Inorigo, what happened?

Have you ever watched Madoka? Think of posting in this thread as using up your soul gem - 500 posts in this thread is the critical limit, and once you go past it it's only a matter of time before you go -poof-!

Lara's character development is one of the most laughable piece of writing this generation. It makes Kingdom Heart look Oscar-worthy by comparison!

What's wrong with Kingdom Hearts.

Nachos

Infinite's problem's with it's story are not it's dedication to how accurate is replicates real world physics. It's a piece of fiction, it doesn't need to be scientifically or mathematically accurate. I mean Booker flies in going 100km an hour bashing a dude in the skull off of a rollercoaster rail. If we're taking real physics Booker would shatter every fucking bone is his body if he did that. :p

Infinite's problem is it's story is at the mercy of the genre it's apart of, that game straight up should not have been a shooter. Booker has about as much depth to his character as an extra on Smallville cause we have to spend 80% of the time shooting waves of dudes.

There are many other problems with that game though, like how it just throws out themes of race when it has nothing to do with the actual story.

As for my top 5 this year:

1.) Gone Home
2.) The Stanley Parable
3.) Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons
4.) Dragon's Crown
5.) The Last Of Us

You're absolutely right, but it certainly doesn't help. Infinite suffered a lot from its science in a way that was more "Oooooooohh spooky ghost" content with barely diving into any of the world building nuance being more hard science fiction would allow. Video games benefit from not needing to adhere to reality in the strictest sense, while still enforcing a set of rules that can make understanding their consistency all the more easier. It's when the world doesn't entice you enough to want to turn that little nitpicker in the back of your mind off that's the problem.

I just wasn't invested in the world enough to want to do it. It's kind of baffling that Infinite suffers from a poor sense of place when the first game created the audio log trope to service its world building. Disregard physics all you like, as long as it's done with the interest of making the world as interesting as possible. Not being able to do a simple laplace transform doesn't stop one from being able to write solid fiction, even if all the facts and rules don't quite make sense. It's just when the game is clearly a bunch of isolated set pieces loosely duct-taped together that I have problem. I was on a media blackout going into the game, but at the very least I was hoping for the game to be like Silent Hill by allowing Colombia to be as much of a character as the actual ones. As much as I like Booker and Elizabeth, the game didn't deliver on that.

Looks like I kinda missed the boat on GOTY lists. Then again I wouldn't be able to post one anyways, very few games I played this year are brand new (not a rerelease) or a fighter (those rarely ever end up being GOTY anyways). Just that I'd only be able to say it;s either gonna be Dragon's Crown or Metal Gear Rising when all is said and done.

Caladrius

RIP in Peace Inorigo, what happened?

Looking through his posting history he probably broke the nebulous "complaining about the thread" rule. Hopefully he won't be gone too long.

So that's a yes, then.

You're gonna regret saying that, Gaz.

Aigis eating Ice cream is okay as long as you can keep it in character. No other characters or your OC fanfiction stand-ins tho! :(

A robot having Ice cream by herself is nonsensical and boring.

It needs to be nonsensical and awesome.
Or poignant or if it's one of those fics, sexy.

I am a competent academic writer but I haven't written fiction before. I want to but I keep getting sidetracked.

Sophia

I am a competent academic writer but I haven't written fiction before. I want to but I keep getting sidetracked.

Sorry, I should have clarified. No characters from other video games! :p

I've always wondered what Aegis's favorite ice cream flavor would be.

That is a good question. Try asking Aigis.... as soon as she gets the blog back from Junpei and Ryoji.

PK Gaming

The horror segments got on my nerves in DP, but I endured them.

I've done the Arab Map Quests in Eternal Punishment.

All of them.

You have to map out every. single. tile. of a dungeon to get ridiculously OP spell cards. and I do mean OP.

He has a name you know >_>

Salem

EMT0

Banned
Looking through his posting history he probably broke the nebulous "complaining about the thread" rule. Hopefully he won't be gone too long.

You're gonna regret saying that, Gaz.

On the subject of fanfiction, I've written some before. And not that kind of fanfiction. Not for very long although I had some modest success hit-wise. Most of the reviews I got said that the writing was fine and that my takes on it were unique and enjoyable, but rereading what I wrote always gave me the impression of mechanically sound writing with garbage delivery.

Caladrius

Sorry, I should have clarified. No characters from other video games! :p

You're absolutely right.

P3 x TRINITY SOUL FIC HERE I COME!

On the subject of fanfiction, I've written some before. And not that kind of fanfiction. Not for very long although I had some modest success hit-wise. Most of the reviews I got said that the writing was fine and that my takes on it were unique and enjoyable, but rereading what I wrote always gave me the impression of mechanically sound writing with garbage delivery.

It takes a lot of practice and reflection to really nail the delivery down. Gotta keep in mind what works and what doesn't and take it to heart. Write enough with those lessons in mind and always be crtiical and you'll improve steadily.

Fanfiction is often bad because people just don't commit to the craft.

Looking through his posting history he probably broke the nebulous "complaining about the thread" rule.

At this point we should all know better than to go into "Guy said a thing" threads because they are universally trash.

You're absolutely right.

P3 x TRINITY SOUL FIC HERE I COME!

everyone grew up and they could no longer summon their personas so there is no story to tell, THE END.

Necrovex

Gone Home is game you should read nothing about and just play, best experienced that way. All I'll tell you is it made me cry several times in 2 hours.

Deadly Premonition's got a really great story. Tone is way off at times and most of the game is janky and broken as hell, but it's actually pretty damn clever.

I'll pick up Gone Home at the next Steam Sale, along with Stanley Parable.

Deadly Premonition is one of my favorite video game stories this generation.

Have you ever watched Madoka? Think of posting in this thread as using up your soul gem - 500 posts in this thread is the critical limit, and once you go past it it's only a matter of time before you go -poof-!

1) Are we talking about Madoka Magica?

2) Refer to KH 3DS story of
time traveling paradox and everyone is sora!!!!
The massive retcon that occurs throughout the series that would make Kojima blush. These are only a few examples. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Kingdom Heart's story, but I enjoy it in a way where someone would like 50 Shades of Gray.

The massive retcon that occurs throughout the series that would make Kojima blush. These are only a few examples. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Kingdom Heart's story, but I enjoy it in a way where someone would like 50 Shades of Gray.

To be honest I literally know nothing about Kingdom Hearts except for back when I was in high school and KH1 was new this one dude was complaining about how
Mickey Mouse
shows up at the end of the game and
defeats the final boss
or something.

Edit: Oh yeah, I remember thinking the main dude and heroine looked like Tai and Kari from Digimon so.

cj_iwakura

My only fond memory of KH is beating Sephiroth at L92. I remember everyone was like 'you have to be at 99, no matter what'. Yeah right.

Caladrius

Probably would be better than the actual Trinity Soul. Speaking of which...

.... here's a good thing to write out of the story!

I'm not quite sure when Persona became Peter Pan....

Trinity Soul is a Persona fanfic and therefore ripe for even more fics that have the potential to surpass it. And since Trinity Soul is non-canon there is no canon to work with and you can fuck with the TS elements however you like as long as the characterization works!

It's batshit crazy (and occasionally sweet), but that's part of what makes it loveable and genuinely hard to predict.
(The time traveling nonsense at least has some precedence with the Timeless River.) You forgot that everyone is also Master Xehanort

Nachos

Persona-related question to get things on track: So my sister has finally let me try out her Vita again, and I'm interested in getting deeper into P4G, but I'm still in the middle of a FemC P3P playthrough from a few years ago. Which one should I do first? I've already played P4 vanilla and FES.

From a gameplay standpoint, nothing at all. From a story standpoint? Quite a bit. The first one had a solid enough story, but as time went on, they clearly tacked on more and more nonsense onto the plot to write themselves out of a corner. There's a reason why people joke about Sora/Xehanort being every other character in the game. It also doesn't help that Terra was an unwitting buffoon whose sheer stupidity was tailored to be convenient to the plot and single-handedly managed to be the cause of everything that went wrong to every other character.

3D end-game spoilers:
Also, time travel that was never foreshadowed in any prior games, despite this being near the end of the story. Also, "this X-mark nonsense that looks like the Greek letter chi just so happens to let us track you wherever you go, lol.

I adore, adore, adore the games, but they're a fantasy version of a bad soap opera at this point, dropping new plot devices in at a moment's notice, and running away really, really fast to avoid any scrutiny.

TWILT

Banned
Top 5 games of the year? Well...

1. Fire Emblem Awakening: While I technically have more hours into Pokemon, Fire Emblem gave a better long last impression for me. Have like 6-7 playthroughs of it, really addicting, great characters, fantastic music (also my OST of the year too!), and all around a fantastic game that can be played in your own way. Easily one of my favorite Fire Emblems and my game of the year.
2. Pokemon XY: Some might argue that it's same old, same old, but I never really understood the problem of that. The most refined Pokemon game yet, seeing my favorite Pokemon in 3D on a handheld is really something else. Gameplay's better than ever, new Pokemon designs while few in numbers, they make up with it with quality, lots of Pokemon to catch, and feels like a really fun journey from start to end. Also, Greninja's the most styling Pokemon ever.
3. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: The game's awesome, that is all. Uhh, I have no idea how to describe it properly, so here's an image describing exactly how I feel about the game.
4. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Mainline SMT's back and better than ever, SMTIV shows that Atlus still has it with the mainline series, without a drop in quality. One of the best JRPGs for the 3DS right now, SMT fans don't want to miss this game. If you're looking to get into SMT, here's your chance.
5. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies: Just when I thought we would never get another Ace Attorney game, Capcom (for once) delivers with Dual Destinies. The series is still strong, with the amazing writing, dialogue and music, and looks fantastic in 3D. Ace Attorney fans definitely don't want to miss this game. Take that!

Honorable mentions: Last of Us, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Tales of Xillia, Zelda: Link Between Worlds, Dragon's Crown

I'll prolly make some silly blog post about this in January or something. Getting a Wii U with Mario 3D World and Wonderful 101, and hoping they make my top 10~.

Sophia

Persona-related question to get things on track: So my sister has finally let me try out her Vita again, and I'm interested in getting deeper into P4G, but I'm still in the middle of a FemC P3P playthrough from a few years ago. Which one should I do first? I've already played P4 vanilla and FES.

If you have a good grasp on where you were, finish P3P first. If not, dive into Golden.

Guessing this isn't a digital copy of P3P? Otherwise you could transfer your save to the Vita and continue there.

Necrovex

It's batshit crazy (and occasionally sweet), but that's part of what makes it loveable and genuinely hard to predict.
(The time traveling nonsense at least has some precedence with the Timeless River.) You forgot that everyone is also Master Xehanort

I'll shit on KH's story all day long, but I do have a major heart for it. I love its batshit insanity. There's a reason why I adore Xenosaga.

Nachos

If you have a good grasp on where you were, finish P3P first. If not, dive into Golden.

Guessing this isn't a digital copy of P3P? Otherwise you could transfer your save to the Vita and continue there.

Nope, got a physical copy for that sweet Junpei hat. I'll try getting back into P3P and see if I can get my bearings, but if not, I'll just dive into Golden. Thanks!

FluxWaveZ

Prediction: At least 1 new P4A2 character to be announced between December 16-27.

(posting it here randomly so that when it happens I can quote this post and seem like a genius)

Edit: Oh, and my top 5:

1. Ace Attorney 5
2. The Last of Us
3. GTA V
4. BioShock Infinite
5. Beyond: Two Souls

Notable mention to Anarchy Reigns for being so garbage. Also, Wolf Among Us and TWD: Season 2 would probably have their place in my top 10 if they weren't episodic.

Lemstar

Top five games released this year that I played:

• The Last of Us
  • Ellen Page
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • SMT4
  • Tearaway
Pickings are kind of slim; everything past the first two would probably not be on there if I played more stuff.

Top five this year:

• Persona 4 Golden
  • The World Ends With You
  • Hotline Miami
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

(disclaimer: something something subjective opinions stuff)

I liked it lol, it was my number one game of 2013.

about GTAV: I don't know why, but I could never get more than a few hours into the GTA series, they're fun, they're stories are great, but i just can't do it... I still need to finish 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom