• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

I honestly don't know what my game would be. There's still a lot of games I haven't played from this year, and I don't count HD (1.5) remixes, but as it stands, I'd probably go with New Leaf. Even six months after it's come out, it remains the only game I still try to play every day. Second place would be Etrian Odyssey IV (it's been a while since I've wanted to play any RPG enough to want to 100%; not even the SMT games can get me to do that).

As far as disappointments go, it'd definitely be Bioshock Infinite. The shooting was barely serviceable enough to get me through the game for what should've been the highlights of the game, which I found predictable and forgettable. The characterization was fine, but if you've looked into quantum physics as an from an educational standpoint, as either a math or physics major (especially the poor physics majors), you'd realize how heavy-handed and clumsy the plot was with its foreshadowing. I could NOT for the life of me understand how people thought the story was "mind-blowing."

You don't even need to be that educated. The plot holes were driving me up the wall and I don't know anything about anything.

Marche90

Oh, we're talking about GOTY now? Since I didn't played that many games, my list will only be a Top 3. I'm pretty sure that The Last of Us would be here if I had played it, but alas, I didn't, for example. The same goes for Zelda and Mario, among others

1.- Fire Emblem Awakening (spent around 150 hours in here. I don't know how I did it)
2.- Tomb Raider
3.- SMTIV

Now I'm sad that I didn't played the top games this year :(

At least I managed to play Valkyria Chronicles (long overdue) and Catherine! :)

Lunar15

I'm ok with messy and nonsensical plots as long as there's a strong thematic resonance throughout the game that is clear and consistent. Look, neither P4 or P3 have mind blowing plots that are really pushing the boundaries of storytelling. But they're resonant and have clear themes that are carried through every aspect of the story. When they bend the rules, it's usually done so with proper creative license to deliver the right feel and theme. We suspend the need to follow the logos because we are drawn into the pathos. A lot of great stories have nonsensical plots with tons of holes if you really think about it. The best ones make us forget about them.

Bioshock Infinite, however, didn't do any of that. It just had a lot of nonsense. Anything emotional hit the ground with a thud, making us thrive off of the logic of the world which... obviously didn't make sense due to the theoretical nature of it all.

Jintor

tumblr_mxjo9n5yMo1r3qiawo1_r1_500.png

I don't feel like ordering this list because I had a lot of interesting experiences but nothing particularly standout. In terms of enjoyment, though:

• State of Decay
  • Ace Attorney 5
  • XCOM: Enemy Within
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance
Hon. mentions: Antichamber, Papers Please, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Stanley Parable, and Nintendo gamez

Subhonorable mention: TLOU for Dantis-kun's sake

Dantis

I don't feel like ordering this list because I had a lot of interesting experiences but nothing particularly standout. In terms of enjoyment, though:

• State of Decay
  • Ace Attorney 5
  • XCOM: Enemy Within
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance
Hon. mentions: Antichamber, Papers Please, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Stanley Parable, and Nintendo gamez

Subhonorable mention: TLOU for Dantis-kun's sake

No Last of Us.

*Adds another reason to the list*

EDIT: LOL, I missed the subhonorable mention. Reason retracted.

As far as disappointments go, it'd definitely be Bioshock Infinite. The shooting was barely serviceable enough to get me through the game for what should've been the highlights of the game, which I found predictable and forgettable. The characterization was fine, but if you've looked into quantum physics as an from an educational standpoint, as either a math or physics major (especially the poor physics majors), you'd realize how heavy-handed and clumsy the plot was with its foreshadowing. I could NOT for the life of me understand how people thought the story was "mind-blowing."

You don't even need to be that educated. The plot holes were driving me up the wall and I don't know anything about anything.

I'm ok with messy and nonsensical plots as long as there's a strong thematic resonance throughout the game that is clear and consistent. Look, neither P4 or P3 have mind blowing plots that are really pushing the boundaries of storytelling. But they're resonant and have clear themes that are carried through every aspect of the story. When they bend the rules, it's usually done so with proper creative license in aiming to deliver the right feel and theme.

Bioshock Infinite didn't have that. It just had a lot of nonsense.

Scrambles am cry

Squire

Banned
1. SMTIV
2. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
3. XCom: Enemy Unknown/Within
4. Assassin's Creed IV: Back Flag
5.Pokemon X

RPG heavy year this year.

I really need to get Gods and Kings

ACIV might slip into my top 5. I just got the hang of the boat combat last night, which was my only real gripe with it.

SR4 is incredible. I was so surprised.

Remember Me is good, but it was miles off my game of the year. I had some problems with aspects of it.

SR4 is really great, totally.

I have issues with Remember Me also, but it gives you such a clear window into that world and that character, I couldn't get enough it.

And it does have strong fundamental design.

kewlmyc

In no particular order:

Metal Gear Rising
Bioshock Infinite
The Last of Us
Muramasa: Rebirth
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Honorable mention: Dangan Ronpa English Fan Translation (game technically didn't come out this year, but damn did I enjoy it)

Probably would have included SR4 if I played it, I love that franchise.

Lunar15

I played so few games this year that honestly, I'd be doing a disgrace to GAF by making a goty list. I enjoyed all the games I played though.

Platinum pretty much took care of me this year. Wonderful 101 and MGR were two of the best games I played all year.

No joke: I really can't bring myself to play TLoU. I'm sure it's a fantastic game, but I had some really heavy shit go down this year and I just don't want to play such what seems to be an emotionally draining game. I have no problem watching depressing movies, but playing a depressing game just seems to be a whole other thing.

Meia

I had no problem with Infinite's story, and really liked it. I had a massive problem with the structure of the game itself, and the incessant need to have more shootbang just because we need to have more shootbang.

Let's have
a nonsensical boss fight where you're shooting bullets at a ghost, never really hurting it, but just enough for it to say "Aight then" then wander off, only for you to repeat this same thing two other times.
This also doesn't even touch on the other things that really pissed me off in the game, enemy waves after Bioshock 1 lovingly crafted every single enemy placement in that game(seriously, having enemies actually patrol an area vs. endless ships flying in to drop off more fodder), plus having Big Daddies sprinkled about really helped it, while the "big" enemies of Infinite were just part of these mindless waves.

Then you watch the promo videos, the early demo, and then play the pre-launch game about what side you'd be on in the world, and you say to yourself "Where's that game that was advertised, I would play the shit out of that as opposed to this hot mess we got."

Caladrius

The variety of answers is pleasing.

Since everyone seems to be aiming for a top 5 my full list is
1.)Super Mario 3D World
2.)SMTIV
3.) Pokemon X/Y
4.) Animal Crossing
5.) Saint's Row IV

Are there any other games that come out before the end of the year or is it over? (Unless mods count)

Nachos

Yeah, but being a math major let me really appreciate the nuances of what didn't work. =P Still, it's a wonder it was coherent at all considering that game's development.

Even if the series still has its own set of problems, 999/VLR are still my favorite games to take artistic liberties with q. mechanics.

Also, I really need to play SR4. On top of that, Ace Attorney 5 would be #3 on my list. #yearof3DS

Lunar15

Man, I apparently need to play SR4, don't I? I think i'll wait for the winter steam sale.

I'll just make a Rise and have Laura Bailey be her voice actor.

EDIT: no idea why I said Lauren.

PK Gaming

So we're doing this, huh.

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Partly due to the OT on neogaf. Playing through this game during the height of its popularity on Neogaf was one of my most cherished experiences.
2. Pokemon X: It's Pokemon
3. Fire Emblem Awakening: One of the most customizable games ever. You can play this game in any way you want.
4. Super Mario 3D World: Fantastic platforming experience (I haven't really enjoyed any of the Mario platformers since Galaxy 2)
5. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies / TLoU: A solid entry in a fantastic series / One of the few games that lived to the hype. Single & Multiplayer modes were equally good.

Squire

Banned
So we're doing this, huh.

1. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Partly due to the OT on neogaf. Playing through this game during the height of its popularity on Neogaf was one of my most cherished experiences.
2. Pokemon X: It's Pokemon
3. Fire Emblem Awakening: One of the most customizable games ever. You can play this game in any way you want.
4. Super Mario 3D World: Fantastic platforming experience (I haven't really enjoyed any of the Mario platformers since Galaxy 2)
5. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies / TLoU: A solid entry in a fantastic series / One of the few games that lived to the hype. Single & Multiplayer modes were equally good.

Man what a Nintendork.

No joke: I really can't bring myself to play TLoU. I'm sure it's a fantastic game, but I had some really heavy shit go down this year and I just don't want to play such what seems to be an emotionally draining game. I have no problem watching depressing movies, but playing a depressing game just seems to be a whole other thing.

Yeah, exactly.

This reminds one of the films not on that list that could be is Blue Valentine. It's not really violent at all, but it's emotionally taxing.

I highly recommend it. It's a fantastic film through and through. I could and have said the same about TLOU as a game, but because it is just that - a game, it's more oppressive I think.

Almost any. :/
Chrom/Cordelia and Laurent/Inigo were things that needed to happen.

Just pretend there's another slink rank after the third one where laurent says "hey inigo let's get married because i love you, even if none of our previous slink ranks suggested any sort of romantic attachment," because that's how most of the marriage proposals worked.

Marche90

Almost any. :/ Chrom/Cordelia and Laurent/Inigo were things that needed to happen.

What Chrom really needed was a bigger support pool =/

In fact, the pool should have been bigger for the characters in general. Those SpotPass characters were the worse in that regard.

At least I get to S-rank Tiki and Lucina with my Avatar! \o/ (counts for something, I guess)

Necrovex

1) Last of Us
2) Tomb Raider
3) God of War Ascension
3) Puppeteer
5) Fire Emblem Awakening

That'll about do it. Phenomenal year though. Played (And really enjoyed) so many games.

SR4 is incredible. I was so surprised.

Remember Me is good, but it was miles off my game of the year. I had some problems with aspects of it.

Now *this* is a major surprise. I did not expect you to like Tomb Raider at all due to the sheer focus on the story (and the awfulness of it all) and 'cinematic' gameplay. I wanted to love Tomb Raider, but I couldn't for the life of me. :'-(

I haven't thought much about my GOTY list but a rough draft would involve The Last of Us, Fire Emblem: Awakening, DMC, GTA V, AA5 and Bioshock Infinite. SR4 was a major disappointment. Before I finalize my list, I need to get my Wii U, which won't happen until X-mas. I'm also sure that I am forgetting a lot of other games.

As a side note, I am looking to buy a PS3 version of Persona 4 Arena for around $15 (US). This is for a X-mas present to another Gaffer.

Jintor

Now *this* is a major surprise. I did not expect you to like Tomb Raider at all due to the sheer focus on the story (and the awfulness of it all) and 'cinematic' gameplay. I wanted to love Tomb Raider, but I couldn't for the life of me. :'-(

that's what i've been trying to tell him!

Gazoinks

I couldn't make it past the first hour of Tomb Raider where Lara Croft went through so much ridiculous pain it became comic. Also QTEs. I hear it improved after that, though.

If I get a 3DS for Xmas you can probably add SMTIV and Fire Emblem Awakening to my list. :p

Levito

Banned
Infinite's problem's with it's story are not it's dedication to how accurate is replicates real world physics. It's a piece of fiction, it doesn't need to be scientifically or mathematically accurate. I mean Booker flies in going 100km an hour bashing a dude in the skull off of a rollercoaster rail. If we're taking real physics Booker would shatter every fucking bone is his body if he did that. :p

Infinite's problem is it's story is at the mercy of the genre it's apart of, that game straight up should not have been a shooter. Booker has about as much depth to his character as an extra on Smallville cause we have to spend 80% of the time shooting waves of dudes.

There are many other problems with that game though, like how it just throws out themes of race when it has nothing to do with the actual story.

As for my top 5 this year:

1.) Gone Home
2.) The Stanley Parable
3.) Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons
4.) Dragon's Crown
5.) The Last Of Us

Caladrius

To avoid spoilers, I'm going to be ambiguous, but I am immersively disappointing at how the Vox Populi subplot was handled in Infinite.

That's quite punny of you.

What Chrom really needed was a bigger support pool =/

In fact, the pool should have been bigger for the characters in general. Those SpotPass characters were the worse in that regard.

At least I get to S-rank Tiki and Lucina with my Avatar! \o/ (counts for something, I guess)

I find it funny that the co-protagonist had one of the most shallow support pools. It really doesn't help his image as "leader of The Shepherds", especially when the Avatar makes a big chunk of all the strategic decisions.

The spotpass supports were just pitiful.

Just pretend there's another slink rank after the third one where laurent says "hey inigo let's get married because i love you, even if none of our previous slink ranks suggested any sort of romantic attachment," because that's how most of the marriage proposals worked.

That's how fanfic gets made.

Do you know what would happen if that pushed me into writing them?

Gazoinks

To avoid spoilers, I'm going to be ambiguous, but I am immersively disappointing at how the Vox Populi subplot was handled in Infinite.

In general Infinite's first half feels divorced from its second. They bring up all the social and racial concerns and then they kinda don't go anywhere and focus on other things instead.

Do you know what would happen if that pushed me into writing them?

Good things?

Jintor

After Human Revolution I kinda feel like every GOTY Edition or whatever game should come with Director's Commentary. That shit is fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom