• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cwei.png

This is pretty amazing, Buddha.

Also, just because i switched to a more celebratory avatar, doesn't mean anyone can take the Rise one made for me! :mad:
I'll go back to it maybe

Though shoutouts to Dantis for adding this birthday hat, too godlike.

Seeing as this is the persona community thread. I was wodnering are any of you guys fans of Persona 4 Arena? Or fighting fans in general.

I'm looking forward to the improved gameplay and rebalancing of characters.

Seeing as this is the persona community thread. I was wodnering are any of you guys fans of Persona 4 Arena? Or fighting fans in general.

There's a few of us in the PersonaGAF IRC that play fighting games

And I can't wait for P4A2

Gazoinks

I'm not a huge fighting game person (aside from Smash Bros which rocks), so I haven't played Arena, but I plan on picking up A2 when it comes out.

Has there ever been a sheet music book released for the Persona games? 'cause that'd be awesome awesome.

I kind of suck at fighting games, but I've played pretty much every modern one under the sun. I'm really looking forward to Ultra Suplex Hold, especially because Da Man's gonna be my new main.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm pretty much in the same boat in terms of skill level, but excited for P4A2 nonetheless, and fighting games are still pretty fun despite how much I suck at them. Gonna be maining Yukari as hard as I possibly can.

FluxWaveZ

Just takes time. People who "just aren't good" are people who've played over 4k matches and continue to do the weirdest stuff in a match.

FluxWaveZ

I am going to main the Shadows with the force of a thousand suns.

Yup, my plan as well. I've planned a weekly P4A schedule where I'm forced to only play a specific character during that week (aside from online tournaments) to prepare myself to main the Shadows.

TWILT

Banned
Fighting game fan here; I mostly play Mahvel these days, though I still like playing P4A too and I'm a huge Smash Bros fan. I also dabble around in stuff like Guilty Gear.

If the character looks cool and has a sword (Dante/Vergil/Strider, Yu Narukami, Ike, Ky Kiske, etc.), chances are I main them.

kewlmyc

I love watching fighting games, but suck at playing them. I just don't think that spending hours and hours just learning how to get my fingers fast enough to do a small combo is fun in the slightest. I'm gonna force myself to get good at P4A/P4A2 though. Maybe Guilty Gear Xrd as well.

FluxWaveZ

I like fighting games.

If you like fighting games a lot too you should come to the IRC cause lots of us like fighting games.

Fighting games.

I find that a lot of people like to mostly watch and talk about fighting games, but I like to play them.

I love watching fighting games, but suck at playing them. I just don't think that spending hours and hours just learning how to get my fingers fast enough to do a small combo is fun in the slightest. I'm gonna force myself to get good at P4A/P4A2 though. Maybe Guilty Gear Xrd as well.

The beauty of fighting games is you don't have to unless you're a tournament player. That's not what makes one good at FGs. See: Divekick.

I find that a lot of people like to mostly watch and talk about fighting games, but I like to play them.

I like to both play and watch/talk about fighting games.

Like I said, I like fighting games.

Considering I went to Evo, entered nearly all games, and almost made it out of my SFxT pool, as well as pulling some slick comebacks in Marvel, I like to play fighting games.

SOMEONE SAID FIGHTING GAMES

yeah I play them. A lot. My favorite genre of game easily. Too much to suck as badly as I do in many of them. Scrublord Supreme over here.

I am not amazing, or even that good, but I love fighting games. I loves me some Soul Calibur, Marvel, Mortal Kombat, Blazblue, P4A, and other stuff. I like Street Fighter but I haven't really played one that long. Will try out and most likely get Guilty Gear XRD.

Moonlight

Banned
I think it's more a headspace thing for me when it comes to fighting games. Any discipline I try to develop pretty much flies out the window when I'm in an actual match. Can never, ever think ahead either.

FluxWaveZ

Considering I went to Evo, entered nearly all games, and almost made it out of my SFxT pool, as well as pulling some slick comebacks in Marvel, I like to play fighting games.

Oh, I wasn't implying anything on your part. It was merely an observation that your statement reminded me of for some reason. Being able to go to EVO myself would be fun or have any sort of good local activity for fighting games would be good, but I'm stuck with the online realm.

TWILT

Banned

That doesn't explain why you didn't beat Chris G at Evo.
ogbPVKU.jpg

Nachos

I think it's more a headspace thing for me when it comes to fighting games. Any discipline I try to develop pretty much flies out the window when I'm in an actual match. Can never, ever think ahead either.

Yeah, I'm basically the same way. I still mess up even basic magic series sometimes, which is saying something.

kewlmyc

The beauty of fighting games is you don't have to unless you're a tournament player. That's not what makes one good at FGs. See: Divekick.

Yeah, I did enjoy Divekick a lot, and I liked playing Kanji who doesn't really require a lot of combo knowledge when P4A first came out. However, I think combo memerization is still a big part of fighting games, like Marvel. I don't see how you could even find enjoyment in Marvel without practicing and knowing combos. I could be wrong on this though, so I would love to hear your opinion.

Oh, I wasn't implying anything on your part. It was merely an observation that your statement reminded me of for some reason. Being able to go to EVO myself would be fun or have any sort of good local activity for fighting games would be good, but I'm stuck with the online realm.

Ah, sorry, I was a bit more groggy than I am now when I typed that post, so I think I got a little bit on the defensive, sorry about that. Are there any local places near you you can play at?

That doesn't explain why you didn't beat Chris G at Evo.
ogbPVKU.jpg

C'mon man :(

I still count up my main error in that match being that I tried to chip out his Morrigan with a Charging Star on his wakeup instead of spending the meter. That and he got an infinite on my Cap which decided that game pretty quickly.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I did enjoy Divekick a lot, and I liked playing Kanji who doesn't really require a lot of combo knowledge when P4A first came out. However, I think combo memerization is still a big part of fighting games, like Marvel. I don't see how you could even find enjoyment in Marvel without practicing and knowing combos. I could be wrong on this though, so I would love to hear your opinion.

It depends on the fighting game and on the character. Marvel is the most combo focused fighting game that you could probably think of and it's of course crucial to playing it if you're not playing against people of your skill level.

Air dashers are also relatively combo focused, but much less than Marvel. There are characters that focus less on long combos in P4A such as Shadow Labrys or Kanji, but your need to know complicated combos always depends on who you will be playing against. In any case, in P4A, learning the neutral game and how to block is far more important, especially given the auto-combo system.

Then there are other fighting games like Street Fighter or the NRS games where complicated combos are not too essential aside from high level play.

Again, it depends on who you'll be playing against. Do you plan to become competitive and participate in tournaments that require hours of practice and combo knowledge, or to just play casually amongst friends? If it's the latter, you shouldn't worry so much about learning combos because one does improve just by playing. I played 3-4k P4A matches before I actually decided to learn actual combos and not just ones I had invented and come to learn myself.

Ah, sorry, I was a bit more groggy than I am now when I typed that post, so I think I got a little bit on the defensive, sorry about that. Are there any local places near you you can play at?

Only one place I know of and it's called Foonzo. A lot of BB enthusiasts as well as unconventional fighting games like Gundam or whatever there. Not the most competitive place, so I don't go there much. It's also a bar, so it's not my kinda location in the first place.

I enjoy Marvel because, even though I play such a basic team, I enjoy those characters (because, hell, I love Marvel characters), and I enjoy the hype and frantic speed of it all. Sometimes its barely manageable but I love it nonetheless. It's just a fun game overall, I think. Though definitely not the easiest one to jump into feet first.

kewlmyc

It depends on the fighting game and on the character. Marvel is the most combo focused fighting game that you could probably think of and it's of course crucial to playing it if you're not playing against people of your skill level.

Air dashers are also relatively combo focused, but much less than Marvel. There are characters that focus less on long combos in P4A such as Shadow Labrys or Kanji, but your need to know complicated combos always depends on who you will be playing against. In any case, in P4A, learning the neutral game and how to block is far more important, especially given the auto-combo system.

Then there are other fighting games like Street Fighter or the NRS games where complicated combos are not too essential aside from high level play.

Again, it depends on who you'll be playing against. Do you plan to become competitive and participate in tournaments that require hours of practice and combo knowledge, or to just play casually amongst friends? If it's the latter, you shouldn't worry so much about learning combos because one does improve just by playing. I played 3-4k P4A matches before I actually decided to learn actual combos and not just ones I had invented and come to learn myself.

Only one place I know of and it's called Foonzo. A lot of BB enthusiasts as well as unconventional fighting games like Gundam or whatever there. Not the most competitive place, so I don't go there much. It's also a bar, so it's not my kinda location in the first place.

I was planning on just playing online, and yeah you're right about it depending on the characters. When playing as Kanji, it was more about learning how to get in than it was about combos. I plan on maining Junpei and Shu (non persona)
and Adachi if he is eventually playable
when P4A comes out, and from the looks of it Sho might be a combo heavy character. Also, what is the neutral game? There's still not a lot of terms that I understand.

FluxWaveZ

I was planning on just playing online, and yeah you're right about it depending on the characters. When playing as Kanji, it was more about learning how to get in than it was about combos. I plan on maining Junpei and Shu (non persona)
and Adachi if he is eventually playable
when P4A comes out, and from the looks of it Sho might be a combo heavy character. Also, what is the neutral game? There's still not a lot of terms that I understand.

Neutral game basically means knowing what to do when the opponent isn't being aggressive and you're not necessarily on a full out offense either. When action's at neutral. Learning how to get in isn't exclusive to Kanji in P4A, it's just more necessary to do so with certain characters compared to others. Learning how to block and evade is much more important than learning any combo, for example.

Lemstar

Despite how demanding Marvel can get with regards to execution, I think it's a lot easier to have fun with when you're starting out compared to other games of the genre. Day 0 combos are substantially more effective than autocombo/comparable strings, X-Factor exists, and happy birthdays happen. With minimal knowledge of the game, your matches against a slightly better opponent are probably higher in Marvel than they are in any other game.

Also, this is subjective, but Marvel not really emphasizing wakeup oki makes it a lot less infuriating to play.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member

Oh yes I do. My main fighter is Street Fighter x Tekken, but Arena is my second favorite fighter. I actually got into the franchise through Arena, I just saw footage of Akihiko, having no idea who he was or what persona is, and thought it looked so cool I had to buy it immediately.

Of course, by now I've played P3 and am playing P4, but Arena's where it started for me. Ultimax is gonna be so nuts.

Marche90

Fighting games... I like them sometimes, but my skills in those games leaves a lot to be desired. Even when I'm trying to focus on inputting commands most of the time I just end up mashing buttons =/

My favourite fighting game is Ultimate Marvel 3 just because of how energetic and frantic it is. Part of the reason why I never really spent any serious time on the more "realistic" fighters like Virtua Fighter or Tekken is that I just don't get much excitement from two characters throwing same-y punches and kicks at each other for the entire match; I need that extra chaotic element to really get my hype going. It shows in my playtime too, as I've sunk more than 250 into Ultimate and Vanilla Marvel 3 and over 100 into Soul Calibur V and P4A, compared to the <30 I've spent on DoA:D and Tekken 6.

I tend to gravitate towards the bruiser-style characters, since they're less input-heavy and reliant on technique and timing rather than reflexes. I simply don't have the hand dexterity required to pull off cherry tappers, but my head's always in the game and I'm pretty good at thinking three steps ahead. For these reasons, I've made some truly incredible Nemesis comebacks before in UMvC3, and the big guy's my most-played character by far (over 500 matches played with him total!).

PK Gaming

Fighting game fan here; I mostly play Mahvel these days, though I still like playing P4A too and I'm a huge Smash Bros fan. I also dabble around in stuff like Guilty Gear.

If the character looks cool and has a sword (Dante/Vergil/Strider, Yu Narukami, Ike, Ky Kiske, etc.), chances are I main them.

Same here.

I plan on seriously maining Yu in suplex this time. P4A is my favorite fighting game; partly due to the cast of characters, and partly due to gameplay (fighting alongside Personas is really fun).

Famitsu should leak any time now, right?

Yes, but it's unlikely there will be anything of note in it this week. The website lists Puzzle & Dragons Z, Drakengard 3, Call of Duty Ghosts, FFX/2 HD, A Link to the Past 2, Lighting Returns, Monster Hunter 4 and The new Tokyo Majin Gakuen game as the contents. Even if there's Persona-related material, it's almost assuredly going to be rehashed stuff we saw last week.

Oh yeah, I don't know if it has been posted, but it's been confirmed that DAN will have 30 tracks. Some of them will be new and these have been confirmed to be included:
  • Pursuing My True Self
  • Heaven
  • Reach Out To The Truth
  • Time To Make History
  • True Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom