• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, they're being pretty generous considering what the player can potentially be doing. In real life, if you found your boyfriend was dating six other girls on Valentine's Day, it wouldn't end with just all of you weeping and being disappointed.... >_>;

You wake up to find yourself locked into a wooden casket, buried six feet underground.

I was disappointed that they didn't beat me up and break up with me. Especially when you consider that I'm nailing their best friends. Even Chie is aware and gets geeked when you pick her iirc. Like, what kind of shit is that?

Fantasy shit. In real life everyone would be pissed the fuck off.

Moonlight

Banned
To this day I still haven't heard any of the rejection speeches. I don't think my heart could handle it.

EDIT: But yeah, if anything P4G proved why there has to be consequences for double/triple/whatever-timing. They basically tried to meet the whole issue half-way and arguably just made the weird disconnect even more obvious.

FluxWaveZ

Fantasy shit. In real life everyone would be pissed the fuck off.

Yeah. At least P4G did add a scene like that if the player decided to date multiple girls, even if it just counted for dating members of the Investigation Team.

This is why I've always argued for the return of Reverse and Broken Social Links in a much more significant way. Real consequence.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there's a particular scene in P4G where you can ask a certain character, "What the heck are you wearing?" or something of the sort. I should replay the game just to see the result of these choices that I usually wouldn't pick.

LX_Theo

Banned
If it's anything like Project Diva, I doubt it'll have non vocal tracks. P4 itself has around 8-10 tracks, P4G has three, Arena has two, the anime has around 10 or so.... still leaves some songs unaccounted for.
Well, Project Diva has the characters singing the songs because of the whole vocaloid thing, no? This is just dancing. They don't have the same restrictions

I was also suggesting that they may warp some of the nonvocal songs into vocal ones with the remixes. Especially the more popular ones (and if they NEED to be vocal)

Dantis

How else do you expect them to react if they find out that you're cheating on them? And on Valentine's Day, of all days.

Within the game world it was fine, but like, it assumed that you actually care about the characters in a certain way that just felt forced to me, you know? The dating is such a small part of the game that I couldn't give a hoot about it at all, and then on Valentine's it assumes my heart will break over this non-existant romance. It just seemed bizarre and awkward to assign it such melodrama.
The writing is fine for it (Though the actual Valentine's scenes are absolutely dire), but the scenes were, like I say, too heavy handed.

Couldn't have cared much less, tbh.

FluxWaveZ

Within the game world it was fine, but like, it assumed that you actually care about the characters in a certain way that just felt forced to me, you know? The dating is such a small part of the game that I couldn't give a hoot about it at all, and then on Valentine's it assumes my heart will break over this non-existant romance. It just seemed bizarre and awkward to assign it such melodrama.
The writing is fine for it (Though the actual Valentine's scenes are absolutely dire), but the scenes were, like I say, too heavy handed.

Couldn't have cared much less, tbh.

I can kind of comprehend, but if you don't care about the dating aspect, then why date?

PK Gaming

A Persona nice boat bad end would be amazing
>No

>>HELL No

Unless our protagonist was this guy:
Makoto.jpg

But if that's the case, we must ask ourselves an important question:
Why are we even playing a Persona game where Makoto freaking Ito is the protagonist.

>No

>>HELL No

Unless our protagonist was this guy:
Makoto.jpg

But if that's the case, we must ask ourselves an important question:
Why are we even playing a Persona game where Makoto freaking Ito is the protagonist.

I stumbled upon the end of that anime accidently... Not even mindbleach could remove the stains.

Dantis

I can kind of comprehend, but if you don't care about the dating aspect, then why date?

Because I like the original scenes from Persona 4. Like I've said before, I think they're smart, sweet and well executed. (For reference, Golden was the first time I'd romanced more than one girl, and that was specifically to see this apparently devastating scene)

I guess I see it that you're kind of pushing your character into a relationship, and from then on, everything is implied. You don't see any more scenes with her, so you just kind of assume that it happens and that's great.

But with the Valentine's scene, it tries to kind of guilt trip you, but it doesn't work because the relationship is implied. Is Rise talking to me the player or me the protagonist? If she's talking to me the player, then I don't give a crap, because I'm obviously fully disconnected from the world. And if she's talking to me the protagonist, then, because the relationship is almost wholly implied, it's like I'm watching in on somebody else's relationship, rather than participating, not to mention one of the participants being a mute guy who has no response to anything.

In something like Uncharted, you care about the relationship between the heroes because of the chemistry between them. The scene at the airport in Uncharted 3 being a great example.
But there is no chemistry in Persona, so why would it bother me? I guess you're meant to kind of apply the chemistry yourself, but if the relationship happens offscreen, then when do you do that?

I guess, basically, it did nothing for me.

Dantis is telling us all more about himself than he intended.

I literally don't even know what this means.

Sorian

Banned
In all honesty, they're being pretty generous considering what the player can potentially be doing. In real life, if you found your boyfriend was dating six other girls on Valentine's Day, it wouldn't end with just all of you weeping and being disappointed.... >_>;

Are you insinuating it would lead to a 7-some?

LX_Theo

Banned
That's basically what they amount to. You spent a special night with x then never spoke to them again.
I don't know about vanilla, but in Golden you could spend more time with them after rank ten (albeit, time spent with no substance since it would advance nothing).

PK Gaming

The ending didn't even really bother me.

What annoyed me was how someone could write such a thoroughly unlikeable character. It's like if you took all of the most unlikeable protagonists in fiction, and fused them together in a quadrillion-way fusion... you'd get this guy.

Even his design makes me want to punch a brick wall.

Even by H-game protagonist standards, Makoto Ito was bad.

Persona is about the masks we wear...

shadi-shocked(a).gif

That's basically what they amount to. You spent a special night with x then never spoke to them again.

It's not necessarily a one night thing, you can still hang out with the character. You also start dating them before you do anything intimate with them. Oh and how can it be a one night stand if you are dating them :lol

Moonlight

Banned
unless the character I romanced was not a party member, then they just sort of drop off the face of the earth until a scene that puts you with your love interest, the very very few that are in there.
I'll concede that the game doesn't take your intimate relationships as seriously as it could (or really, any relationship past Rank 10), but there's definitely still post-Rank 10 scenes and differences in dialogue with your SO(s), particularly in Golden.

I say, your romance option should give you some extra sweet power, but if you dont maintain the relationship with that character, they eventually break up with you, and you just lose that super special power for good. You should be able to 2 time, or even more, but if you get caught, you should get a bad rep around town, and no one or almost no one would romance you anymore, and you lose access to those awesome powers for good. Cheating should work like, you can make plans with your romances, but they never warn you that the plan you made this day overlaps with anyone else, and if you do it one too many times, you are busted.

FluxWaveZ

I say, your romance option should give you some extra sweet power, but if you dont maintain the relationship with that character, they eventually break up with you, and you just lose that super special power for good. You should be able to 2 time, or even more, but if you get caught, you should get a bad rep around town, and no one or almost no one would romance you anymore, and you lose access to those awesome powers for good. Cheating should work like, you can make plans with your romances, but they never warn you that the plan you made this day overlaps with anyone else, and if you do it one too many times, you are busted.

And players who don't want a romance option are now put at a disadvantage for nothing...?

Sophia

Lets leave romance as romance in roleplaying, and just make it an extra thing on top of however social links work in Persona 5. :p

Dantis

I liked how it was in Persona 3. They just need to make it so that you can be in platonic relationships and they're good.

I didn't like any of the extra stuff that Golden added to them, personally.

Moonlight

Banned
Lets leave romance as romance in roleplaying, and just make it an extra thing on top of however social links work in Persona 5. :p
I agree with this.

There should probably still be some incentive to maintaining relationships past Rank 10, anyways, though. Romance or not.

Sophia

I agree with this.

There should probably still be some incentive to maintaining relationships past Rank 10, anyways, though. Romance or not.

Switching it to a gradual scale of power and getting rid of ranks entirely is what I'd do. That way you can have it go the whole game (having a theoretical max, but no absolute max), add replayability, and remove the urge for beginners (and experts...) to feel as if they need to max them out.

Sorian

Banned
This would make it a chore, though.

I think, if anything, they should make the S Links longer somehow.

Or have the relationship start at rank 6 so that you feel like there was more meaningful interaction after starting to date other than "And you spent a long time together
getting it on
"

Moonlight

Banned
This would make it a chore, though.
If events are unique, in the same way that 'date' or 'help me at Junes' events are, then I don't really see the tedium, particularly if the game doesn't so much choose to punish you for not talking to someone for like two months but builds up a system to encourage it. Could be another quirk to time management, where you could better build a relationship (which would affect a certain thing in combat or something) with a character you really like or do the standard Persona thing of trying to meet up with everybody. In that sense, I like Sophia's idea, mostly because I don't really see how well Ranks would cooperate with that idea. When they're 'maxed', it kind of has the implicit (and more or less correct) message that you don't need to bother with it any more.

My only real issue with this, in terms of implementation, is how many 'unique' events you could right. Just getting rid of 'max' sounds all well and good, but that could demand alot of work on part of dialogue, unless you just go ahead with 'You spent a while walking around with x', which probably wouldn't be the strongest incentive to do anything but branch out. That said, there's a whole lot of unique conversations in the night-time small-talk events in P4G, so maybe I'm under-estimating how much they can crank out.

Gazoinks

I've brought this up before, but I'd love longer, harder to complete S.Links with more tangible awards. Heck, piss off the OCD players and make it impossible to max everything! :p

Kazzy

I'll concede that the game doesn't take your intimate relationships as seriously as it could (or really, any relationship past Rank 10), but there's definitely still post-Rank 10 scenes and differences in dialogue with your SO(s), particularly in Golden.

I'm always assumed that a lot of this is down to self-projection, and precisely how you fill those blanks in your mind. It makes it kind of difficult to suspend that disbelief (especially when you're playing that character through almost every day), but I like to think that things occur in between the gameplay stuff, and it isn't just a cast of characters that revolve entirely around your whims. The relationships are largely of your own design, and though there are certainly failings in how they are portrayed, I feel like people are conflating what they actually want from them. I've read criticism of the relationships, for lacking gameplay incentives past a certain point, whilst also wanting for them to be less "gamey" at the same time.

It's a precarious balancing act, definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom