• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

I'd love for some real diversity in shadow design.

Pls P5, don't just reuse the same designs again!

WAIT.

Remember how they said there was a clue in the chairs?

Riiiiight.

Now remember the table enemies in P3&4?

RIGHT!

Chairs confirmed for Shadow enemy in P5.

Saint statues with spikes inside, killer origami butterflies, tress with legs that hit you with their branches, and weird obesse rocking chair shadows...Yeah some of them are crazy.

EMT0

Banned
I wish we still fought demons if only because then, it'd be stupid easy for Atlus to have a wide range of unique enemies. Take away negotiation, I don't care. As long as my enemies are unique and SMT-based rather than some abstract blobs of 'what is this', I'll be happy.

...I'll still take my indistinct mishmash blobs though.

Setsu00

Well, it looks like they're adding new Shadows in Q, so I guess if P5 uses the concept again, we'll probably see some more new ones
and an aweful lot of old ones too

Anyway, I'm a fan of Marie. Kaguya is awesome; I can't wait for the Soejima Personas from P5.

Well, it looks like they're adding new Shadows in Q, so I guess if P5 uses the concept again, we'll probably see some more new ones
and an aweful lot of old ones too

Anyway, I'm a fan of Marie. Kaguya is awesome; I can't wait for the Soejima Personas from P5.

I'd rather have Kaneko Personas :(

I want more persona users as villains in P5(and I don't want them to be a part of some stupid fucking cult either).

P5 is going to be the game that every SMT game takes assets from for the next 10 years or so, so expect a lot of new stuff! :p

I just hope they use Kaneko designs again(unless they found a demon artist that's as good as he is).

stupididiotjerkfaceihateyougodie

more like FUCK OFF you 14 year old Hot Topic model reject. Awful character is awwwwwwwwful.

DEAD

Caladrius

I'm sorry, but Soejima Personae > Kaneko Personae.

The P2 team's official story Personae barring Apollo are all kind of lame.

I like Kaneko's funky, fashion-oriented Personas, but I prefer the more futuristic looks of the Soejima-era designs. (Of course I do love mecha and robots so my opinion is not exactly unbiased.)

Moonlight

Banned
I'd say Soejima's got a more consistent track record than Kaneko. I'll give you most of the evolved forms of the P4 Personae being pretty underwhelming, but Izanagi, Konohana Sakuya, and Tomoe Gozen are all great. Caesar is still the best Persona design yet, in my opinion, and Orpheus and Hermes were great looking, too. I liked the Prime versions of the first story Persona you get the most, out of P2's lot (and of course, there's no art I can find of them), and Apollo is definitely a great design, but just about the only one I'd say as truly great out of the P2 designs.

EDIT: I'll amend and say that I haven't seen the EP designs yet.

Acid08

Banned
I honestly don't care much about the Persona designs, I'm all about their stats and attacks. It's a nice bonus when one looks cool though.

Some are so bad they're good like the toilet guy.

Trigger

Too many of Kaneko's persona designs look like people in goofy suits. I much prefer Soejima's stuff. His designs tend to better incorporate the mythology and plot significance of the persona.

Too many of Kaneko's persona designs look like people in goofy suits. I much prefer Soejima's stuff. His designs tend to better incorporate the mythology and plot significance of the persona.

One of Soejima's comments on the Persona 4 design was that he wanted them to look like people in suits, and the opposite in p3, he wanted to make them look like impossible for a human to be inside them.

Levito

Banned
Some are so bad they're good like the toilet guy.

"Where did you get your Persona at Soejima--the toilet store?"

Brick-Tamland1.jpg

Dantis

I think Kaneko's personae are miles better overall, personally.

Soejima's are super hit and miss. I dislike a lot of the P4 ones.

They're more thoughtful and fitting with the themes, but that kind of applies to all of Soejima's work next to Kaneko's.

Trigger

One of Soejima's comments on the Persona 4 design was that he wanted them to look like people in suits, and the opposite in p3, he wanted to make them look like impossible for a human to be inside them.

That certainly makes sense when you think of designs like Tomoe and Konohana Sakuya.

I think Kaneko's personae are miles better overall, personally.

Soejima's are super hit and miss. I dislike a lot of the P4 ones.

They're more thoughtful and fitting with the themes, but that kind of applies to all of Soejima's work next to Kaneko's.

Really? I always thought that his demon designs were on point and that's what they would look like if they actually existed.

Hades has a slice of chocolate cake on his head. I can't get over that.

That's not what it is :lol(probably joking but just in case). Both Soejima and Kaneko have different design philosophies when it comes to persona. Compare Soejima's Nergal or Kaneko's Lucifer to the designs they have done in Persona. I wish they would use the same style as the other games when designing persona.

Caladrius

Really? I always thought that his demon designs were on point and that's what they would look like if they actually existed.

Kaneko's designs focus on the mythology of the figure that's actually selected for the character. They make lots of references to the source material the demons are derived from and are generally accurate, but only bear a small resemblance to the character they belong to.

Soejima's designs only look vaguely like the mythological figures, but generally make the Persona more strongly resemble the character they belong to, either in physical appearance or characterization. (Caesar, Kintoki Douji, Take-Mikazuchi and Io come to mind.)

Which ones you prefer are probably contingent on whether you think of Personas more as an extension of SMT's concept of Demons (being manifestations of aspects of the human spirit) or more exclusively as reflections of the possessor's psyche.

Edit: This post is way late, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom