• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.jpg

That's pretty damn cool

Levito

Banned
I had a blast making this one-- 142 layers of chairs, chains, shackles, and holiday cheer! :p I honestly wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I'm definitely happy with the results.

I've really enjoyed working with the S.Link FM guys on these graphics, and I can't wait to see what's in store for the podcast in 2014 aka #YearOfPersona. As a special holiday bonus, here's an HD wallpaper version of the Episode 23 title card:

You are humbug.
Want Happy Holidays?

142 layers? Jesus Christ man--you're a wizard. Thanks again for helping with this, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Also set that wallpaper as my desktop background at work. :D

After avoiding the S. Link podcast for awhile, I decided to finally toss it onto my iPhone. Once I complete my first listening to The Beatles (yes I have never listened to Beatles beside a few occasions at parties and some Rock Band), Rachel Maddow and GiantBomb, I'll listen to it.

Haha thanks for giving it a shot!

If I were to recommend some episodes, they'd be:

Episode 5: Mind Games
Episode 7: Voices in My Head with Erin Fitzgerald
Episode 11: EVO 2013 – The Thirst Is Real
Episode 12: Every Day’s Great with Karen Strassman
Episode 21: S.Link FM vs. Cathedral Of Shadows

Those are baller as fuck.

Shouta

Whale feathers.

That entire whale thing was probably the worst aspect of the show. It was just such an obtuse metaphor in the first place. Even when you understand it (whales are both revered and feared in Japanese lore, as I recall), it's much easier to use a different one that was less associated with Japanese culture and thus easier for everyone to understand.

Nachos

If I were to recommend some episodes, they'd be:

Episode 5: Mind Games
Episode 7: Voices in My Head with Erin Fitzgerald
Episode 11: EVO 2013 – The Thirst Is Real
Episode 12: Every Day’s Great with Karen Strassman
Episode 21: S.Link FM vs. Cathedral Of Shadows

I'd definitely recommend episode 17, too, where they interview Michelle Ann Dunphy. Basically, the podcast might suffer some problems down the line due to it being a little TOO topical at times. All these episodes involving wild speculation are fun at the time they're produced, but there'll come a time when the topics discussed might become too antiquated, potentially even just a few months later.

The interview episodes are generally a whole lot better about this, because they're not really interviews -- they're discussions. Sure you guys sometimes ask some of the most rote questions possible, like "Uh, how'd you get started started with voice acting" but that doesn't matter, because the conversation doesn't just stop at a simple answer. You guys actually have the chops and enough chemistry to keep things going beyond that. So yeah, I'd recommend the episodes where the guys sit down to interview someone as a launching point.

(I like that you guys are at the point where one could actually debate about which episodes are the best now. For something that sounds like it started as a bit of a drunk joke, you guys have come a long way.)

EMT0

Banned
The podcast mentioning that next year would be the year of Persona got me thinking. You guys informed me about next year being Atlus' 25th anniversary, and, well, it honestly seems like a lot is going to drop via the way of Atlus next year. And I do mean A LOT.

Daylight
Code:
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/Daylight_Logo.jpg/800px-Daylight_Logo.jpg[/IMG]

Devil Survivor 2: Break Record
Code:
[IMG]http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/5153a7601245a.jpg[/IMG]

SMT x Fire Emblem
Code:
[IMG]http://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SMTxFE-RPG.jpg[/IMG]

Persona 3 The Movie #2

Persona Q
Code:
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Persona_Q_splash.jpg[/IMG]

Persona 4 Ultimax
Code:
[IMG]http://www.otakustudy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Aigis-1024x543.jpg[/IMG]

Persona 4 Dancing All night
Code:
[IMG]http://punkandlizard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/1385294014-persona-4-dancing-all-night.jpg[/IMG]

Persona 5
Code:
[IMG]http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Persona5Tease.jpg[/IMG]

There's probably more yet to be announced, since the only things that would be developed by Atlus' Team 1(the not Persona Team) are Persona Q and DeSu2.

As well as other things that I sort of stumbled on and gives me some hope:
Next year is the year of Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV

Year of Atlus incoming

I just finished watching Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story. I'm not sure how to feel about it. While I liked it, it seemed a bit forced. HEAVY spoilers ahead!
The whole Devil-Homura thing pretty much came out of nowhere. She was all about saving Madoka and making her happy in the series and then she traps the whole universe inside herself?
It seems like a twisted way to achieve her goals.

Levito

Banned
I'd definitely recommend episode 17, too, where they interview Michelle Ann Dunphy. Basically, the podcast might suffer some problems down the line due to it being a little TOO topical at times. All these episodes involving wild speculation are fun at the time they're produced, but there'll come a time when the topics discussed might become too antiquated, potentially even just a few months later.

The interview episodes are generally a whole lot better about this, because they're not really interviews -- they're discussions. Sure you guys sometimes ask some of the most rote questions possible, like "Uh, how'd you get started started with voice acting" but that doesn't matter, because the conversation doesn't just stop at a simple answer. You guys actually have the chops and enough chemistry to keep things going beyond that. So yeah, I'd recommend the episodes where the guys sit down to interview someone as a launching point.

(I like that you guys are at the point where one could actually debate about which episodes are the best now. For something that sounds like it started as a bit of a drunk joke, you guys have come a long way.)

Yeah the reactionary and news episodes will definitely become antiquated. Though at the same time prediction episodes can be fun to listen to in retrospect--one listener told me they thought it was funny hearing us lament the absence of Yukari and Junpei--and hope another version of Arena would come out...and well :p

But yeah the discussion episodes with guests are always the best, there's a timeless quality to them. Going to try and do even more of them in the new year, pushing for JB Blanc, Yuri Lowenthal, and Lotus Juice. The latter two have already both agreed to join us but a time still needs to be settled.

Thanks for the feedback though, really appreciated. It's been about a year since I started posting on PersonaGAF chatting, bickering, too animeing, discussing, and getting to know all of you. Fantastic community here folks, you're all wonderful.

Necrovex

I just finished watching Madoka Magica: The Rebellion Story. I'm not sure how to feel about it. While I liked it, it seemed a bit forced. HEAVY spoilers ahead!
The whole Devil-Homura thing pretty much came out of nowhere. She was all about saving Madoka and making her happy in the series and then she traps the whole universe inside herself?
It seems like a twisted way to achieve her goals.

Homura was cracking big time during the film, and Madoka's comment about wanting to be human must have struck home (my friend noticed that part). Foreshadowing of Homura going insane was in the works during the first few acts.

The ending is more fitting than the TV show, considering the deconstruction route and Gen hating life.

But yeah the discussion episodes with guests are always the best, there's a timeless quality to them. Going to try and do even more of them in the new year, pushing for JB Blanc, Yuri Lowenthal, and Lotus Juice. The latter two have already both agreed to join us but a time still needs to be settled.

I know it's been said before, but you definitely need to ask Michelle Ruff to join the podcast for an episode! :D I don't think she's on Twitter, but she has a group/page/whatever on Facebook.

Levito

Banned
I know it's been said before, but you definitely need to ask Michelle Ruff to join the podcast for an episode! :D I don't think she's on Twitter, but she has a group/page/whatever on Facebook.

That's the plan--once Persona Q and Suplex come out we have a reason to ask people like Michelle on.

Jintor

I'm really enjoying this OT episode, but I wish you'd ID one another a bit more. :(

but then it took me like 70 episodes to start identifying the Idle Thumbs guys by name so idk

Squire

Banned
That's the plan--once Persona Q and Suplex come out we have a reason to ask people like Michelle on.

Yep. Let her get reacquainted with Yukari first and well take it from there.

Thanks for your comments re: interview episodes HeavenSmiley. I love doing those and talking to the voice actors and I always have a good time listening to the fighting game episodes with Dacidbro, so I'd recommend those to someone just listening as well.

Conversational interview podcasts are the best kind.

Dantis

I'm really enjoying this OT episode, but I wish you'd ID one another a bit more. :(

but then it took me like 70 episodes to start identifying the Idle Thumbs guys by name so idk

Sean and Jake sorta kinda sound really fucking similar.

Doesn't help that all of them are completely in-sync and make the same kind of stupid jokes.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The podcast mentioning that next year would be the year of Persona got me thinking. You guys informed me about next year being Atlus' 25th anniversary, and, well, it honestly seems like a lot is going to drop via the way of Atlus next year. And I do mean A LOT.

Year of Atlus incoming

Daylight is just being published by Atlus USA though.

And SMT x FE might not be until 2015 as we haven't seen anything from it.

qKuwBt7.png

EMT0

Banned
It's going to come out to about ~$130 after selling off the stupid Skylanders stuff. I thought it was a good price for a Smash and SMTxFE box :(

Smash Bros if you're into that?

Yep, that was a big motivator to buy it. I'm not anywhere close to panic mode, just that unfun pessimism is unfun when there's no reason to think Nintendo's going to shitcan games.

Omikaru

Pretty much all I want for Wii U at this point is Bayonetta 2 and X. My hype for Smash is pretty much nonexistent, and I want to see if Mario Kart 8 is even half as good as Sonic & All-Stars Transformed before I go near it.

Pretty much all I want for Wii U at this point is Bayonetta 2 and X. My hype for Smash is pretty much nonexistent, and I want to see if Mario Kart 8 is even half as good as Sonic & All-Stars Transformed before I go near it.

Is it because Brawl left a bad taste in your mouth after they made it "more casual"? Or is it something else?

You mention Bayo 2 but not Wonderful 101. No hype for that game either?

LX_Theo

Banned
I still don't get the hearts on her jacket. Still haven't gotten around to playing Eternal Punishment, but was that ever explained? Or was it just some weird design choice that was just left out there?

Gazoinks

I still don't get the hearts on her jacket. Still haven't gotten around to playing Eternal Punishment, but was that ever explained? Or was it just some weird design choice that was just left out there?

She bought the outfit for 1 yen. Or Ulala picked it out. Both of those get mentioned, but I don't remember which applies to her actual outfit.

cjkeats

Maya has no fashion sense so ulala picks out her clothes.
Look at ulala. That should explain everything.

From what I recall Ulala designs and/or picks out Maya's clothing so maybe it's a little quirk of hers

Omikaru

Is it because Brawl left a bad taste in your mouth after they made it "more casual"? Or is it something else?

You mention Bayo 2 but not Wonderful 101. No hype for that game either?

I just don't really care about Nintendo IP as much as I used to. It's not the rehashes, it's just that they're not as good as they used to be. They feel like cheap imitations of their classics, which is just tragic. I'm still in for Zelda, and that's about it at this point; everything else is pretty heartbreaking to play these days, Smash included.

As for The Wonderful 101, I didn't like it. The art direction was terrible, and I didn't really like anything else about the game to be honest. I'm not surprised one bit that it bombed, quite frankly.

LX_Theo

Banned
She bought the outfit for 1 yen. Or Ulala picked it out. Both of those get mentioned, but I don't remember which applies to her actual outfit.

Kaneko is a pervert.

Maya has no fashion sense so ulala picks out her clothes.
Look at ulala. That should explain everything.

From what I recall Ulala designs and/or picks out Maya's clothing so maybe it's a little quirk of hers

Well, that definitely explains it. From multiple perspectives, even. Thanks all.

Acid08

Banned
I just don't really care about Nintendo IP as much as I used to. It's not the rehashes, it's just that they're not as good as they used to be. They feel like cheap imitations of their classics, which is just tragic. I'm still in for Zelda, and that's about it at this point; everything else is pretty heartbreaking to play these days, Smash included.

As for The Wonderful 101, I didn't like it. The art direction was terrible, and I didn't really like anything else about the game to be honest. I'm not surprised one bit that it bombed, quite frankly.
Eh, Smash was never anything more than a fun party game. Brawl was still that despite not being as good. I'm willing to give the new one a shot just for the portable version.

Plus Nintendo just dropped the best Zelda game in more than a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom