• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Ten bucks says it's
Makoto Yuki.
I hope it's
Makoto Yuki

His moveset potential is limitless
I'd say that's about the only good thing going for P2 nowadays. It was certainly ahead of its time in a lot of ways, but it's become so antiquated that now I'd only suggest it as a curiosity. Though I'm sure CJ can make a good argument for it, I was disappointed in both it and Soul Hackers, but not to the point where I'd outright condemn them.
He can't.

I'd say that's about the only good thing going for P2 nowadays. It was certainly ahead of its time in a lot of ways, but it's become so antiquated that now I'd only suggest it as a curiosity. Though I'm sure CJ can make a good argument for it, I was disappointed in both it and Soul Hackers, but not to the point where I'd outright condemn them.

I would say you are wrong but you are free to feel this way and such :(...you were disappointed in Soul Hackers too!?!?!?

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/3070/w2b4.png

HARD CORE HACKER HACK YOU

kewlmyc

Huh? Well,
Makoto Yuki
Nyarl
, any P2 character... It could mean a lot of things.

Didn't know P2 characters were popular. Could see it being the second one
if it isn't SHO
, and everyone always yells at me that the first one could never happen/would ruin said related game.

FluxWaveZ

if it isn't SHO
, and everyone always yells at me that the first one could never happen/would ruin said related game.

I think most people in this community thread have said that the former could happen given P4A2's set-up.

And it's not whether P2 characters are popular or not, but it's a character that "fans have been asking for."

if it isn't SHO

I would rather a P2 character show up and not Makoto, I would say I am being unbiased but you know my fondness of P2....I would rather Margaret be playable than Makoto then.

kewlmyc

I think most people in this community thread have said that the former could happen given P4A2's set-up.

And it's not whether P2 characters are popular or not, but it's a character that "fans have been asking for."

Wouldn't a character that fans are asking for be the definition of a popular character?

I would rather a P2 character show up and not Makoto, I would say I am being unbiased but you know my fondness of P2....I would rather Margaret be playable than Makoto then.

Margaret would work. They could give her Kaguya or something.

Sophia

Not necessarily. There could be some fans asking for Chihiro to be a playable character for all we know.

I am conflicted.... on one hand you're suggesting the best way to troll P1/P2 fans ever. On the other I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to troll myself like that... o_o

I wouldn't mind Margaret, but she's a redundant character choice

Redundant is putting it lightly. Then again we have two versions of Sho and three versions of Labrys so....

Squire

Banned
Maybe they're trying to push Q now, because they'll be releasing new info on 5 early next year.

Like Sophia says, it's very likely a pretty volumous game. We'll be hearing about it pretty regularly up to June.

The same would certainly apply to P5 though. You can bet the crown jewel is going to marketed as aggressively as they can muster.

Edit: I think it's Yuki , but I've always wanted Margaret.

And at this point? Shadow characters; The SS Redundancy sailed months ago, so they may as well throw Margr a bone.

Gazoinks

Started playing the EO4 demo, which has made me look forward more to Q because I quite enjoyed it and am going to purchase the full thing. Them PQ Jojo poses.

PK Gaming

The entire game is redundant. :p

Eh, I disagree entirely. It looks like the story is actually going somewhere this time.

Also guys, I'm mostly talking from a fighting game point of view. Margaret would be a poor character choice since her moveset concept is bound to be like Elizabeth's.

Eh, I disagree entirely. It looks like the story is actually going somewhere this time.

Also guys, I'm mostly talking from a fighting game point of view. Margaret would be a poor character choice since her moveset concept is bound to be like Elizabeth's.

I don't see it that way, and I don't see how they will make Makoto's unique.

Squire

Banned

So am I. Again, shadows.

They're already doing what you're talking about tenfold.

Sophia

If the P3 protagonist is in, he should have the wild card as a gameplay mechanic. Only way in which I'd accept him as playable.

It could be cool if they had Makoto use multiple weapons like in P3. He'd have a unique visual hook, at least.

Make his fourth button cycle Personas, with appropriate weapon to go with it? Give him Orpheus Telos, Thanatos, and Messiah, with Sword/Bow/Spear as weapon.

kewlmyc

Also guys, I'm mostly talking from a fighting game point of view. Margaret would be a poor character choice.

It's not a bad thing (I really like P4A), but it's a sequel series to two games that had concrete endings that left no open ends. Sounds redundant to me.

Fighting game wise, how is she a poor choice? Sure there is one character that I would want to be the the last character, but she's not a bad choice.

EDIT: Just realized that It won't be Margaret anyway since it's a character that's new to the story and they're not sure will have a playable slot. Margaret was in the last game's story.

FluxWaveZ

Not to directly respond to this post: I heavily disagree with people saying that the roster is in any way redundant. Shadow characters are a new system and can be seen that way, sure, but every individual character plays very differently from the next in the classic ASW way and if Margaret was included, she would play very differently from Elizabeth as well.

The redundancy, in my mind, would come from the fact that she would be another Velvet Room character, and I don't think that that would be a big deal at all. If—and that's a big if since all of this is baseless—she was a playable character there are a lot of ways her moveset could differ from Elizabeth's. Even aesthetically, Margaret's moves would have a far less playful nature than hers and would probably look more threatening. Change Thanatos to another Persona and right there her moveset has changed dramatically.

Anyways, the article's translation particularly refers to a character that may or may not be playable and a "new" character, so it's not talking about Margaret since she was in P4A already.

Gazoinks

If the P3 protagonist is in, he should have the wild card as a gameplay mechanic. Only way in which I'd accept him as playable.

Make his fourth button cycle Personas, with appropriate weapon to go with it? Give him Orpheus Telos, Thanatos, and Messiah, with Sword/Bow/Spear as weapon.

Yeeesss. Kinda like Bartz and Gilgamesh in Dissidia.

Caladrius

I want a "Rocks fall, everyone dies" ending for the sheer shock value.

It's not a bad thing (I really like P4A), but it's a sequel series to two games that had concrete endings that left no open ends. Sounds redundant to me.

Fighting game wise, how is she a poor choice? Sure there is one character that I would want to be the the last character, but she's not a bad choice.

She has a very similar appearance, build and skillset with another character. They would have to do a lot to distinguish her from her sister and still be faithful to her character. (Ryu and Ken antics in a cast of less than 20 is not particularly amusing.)

FluxWaveZ

She has a very similar appearance, build and skillset with another character. They would have to do a lot to distinguish her from her sister and still be faithful to her character. (Ryu and Ken antics in a cast of less than 20 is not particularly amusing or cost effective.)

Disagreed. Labrys and Shadow Labrys already play extremely differently from each other, and they share far more aesthetic similarities than Margaret and Elizabeth do.

PK Gaming

I guess they could have her using multiple Persona, like in P4.

But i'm not too optimistic, given that a single Persona has like a million frames of animation already, it would probably be too much work.
She has a very similar appearance, build and skillset with another character. They would have to do a lot to distinguish her from her sister and still be faithful to her character. (Ryu and Ken antics in a cast of less than 20 is not particularly amusing.)
Agreed.

If Margeret were to use a single Persona, which would she choose? I don't think she has an instantly recognizable Persona.

Necrovex

Thanks guys. Downloading SMTIV from the shop now.

I had no idea that P2 gets so much hate. I thought you guys constantly praise it?

Story is good but playing the game was like punching myself in the balls constantly. It's that bad. I rather play a game like Deadly Premonition than P2.

kewlmyc

Thanatos is already in use, so I'd say no to that (as much as I love me some Thanatos). I'd also say have it be Sword/Spear/Hammer so we have a reference to the slash/pierce/smash gameplay of P3.

FluxWaveZ

Agreed.

If Margeret were to use a single Persona, which would she choose? I don't think she has an instantly recognizable Persona.

If she were to be included, they could probably do anything they wanted. It would depend on her design and/or the game's narrative. Maybe they could give her Pixie, maybe not. Maybe she could be a character who uses the opponent's Persona against them where her C and D moves are replaced by the opponent's Persona, maybe not. It was previously suggested for another character, but maybe her playstyle would rely on switching her C and D moves by switching Personae.

PK Gaming

So am I. Again, shadows.

They're already doing what you're talking about tenfold.
Except Shadows are (with the exception of Shadow Labrys) identical to the P4A version of their respective characters.

I wouldn't even consider them new characters; more like a new game mechanic taken to an awesome extreme that encourages a new style of play. Margaret would be a new character built from scratch.

Whatever they do with Yuki will be lame, if they do anything with him.
image.php

Sophia

Thanatos is already in use, so I'd say no to that (as much as I love me some Thanatos). I'd also say have it be Sword/Spear/Hammer so we have a reference to the slash/pierce/smash gameplay of P3.

Thanatos would realistically play different for him. Although I'd want to keep the increased SP mechanic myself. Maybe merge the bow with the Spear in abilities and go with Hammer.

Caladrius

Disagreed. Labrys and Shadow Labrys already play extremely differently from each other, and they share far more aesthetic similarities than Margaret and Elizabeth do.

They did so by giving Shadow Labrys a highly unusual shadow familiar that's thrice her size and has to be well-coordinated with SLab to work effectively, and the Shos are separated by Tsukuyomi. I don't see them doing something that drastic with Margaret.

It's entirely possible they could make Marge a well-distinguished character, but there's already two characters that look identical already, having 3 sets of similar-looking characters in a cast of under 20 isn't something I see them jumping for.

Mostly I just want to see the Wild Card be used in gameplay, rather than simply be a story element.

You'll take your cutscene exposition and LIKE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

PK Gaming

Messiah is literally the only sensible/viable option, seeing as how Mitsuru, Akihiko, Aigis, Fuuka, Junpei, and Yukari have all retained their ultimate Persona.

Orpheus is outdated and Elizabeth has Thanatos.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Story is good but playing the game was like punching myself in the balls constantly. It's that bad. I rather play a game like Deadly Premonition than P2.
What does this mean?

Deadly Premonition is a good adventure game with bad combat sections that aren't really cumbersome after the director's cut.

P2 would be a good visual novel, I guess. The game part is entirely unredeemable, unlike Deadly Premonition.

kewlmyc

Thanatos would realistically play different for him. Although I'd want to keep the increased SP mechanic myself. Maybe merge the bow with the Spear in abilities and go with Hammer.

Can't have two Thanatos on screen at the same time though. Would get very confusing.

Messiah is literally the only sensible/viable option, seeing as how Mitsuru, Akihiko, Aigis, Fuuka, Junpei, and Yukari have all retained their ultimate Persona.

Orpheus is outdated and Elizabeth has Thanatos.

Orpheus Telos =! Orpheus

It could be argued that Orpheus Telos is is ultimate persona since you need to complete every social link to get it.

What does this mean?

Deadly Premonition is a good adventure game with bad combat sections that aren't really cumbersome after the director's cut.

P2 would be a good visual novel, I guess. The game part is entirely unredeemable, unlike Deadly Premonition.

JUSTINE PLS

FluxWaveZ

They did so by giving Shadow Labrys a highly unusual shadow familiar that's thrice her size and has to be well-coordinated with SLab to work effectively. It's entirely possible they could make her a well-distinguished character, but there's already two characters that look identical already, having 3 sets of similar-looking characters in a cast of under 20 isn't something I see them jumping for.

Wait, who are you talking about when you refer to there already being two characters that look identical? Margaret?

Again, there are a ton of things they could do with Margaret that would differentiate her from Elizabeth. She could be a rush-down character instead of a zoning character. Maybe she could be a second puppet character. Perhaps a second stance change character. Another grappler? Maybe she could be a character that actually needs to read her book in the middle of combat to power up ala Tsubaki from BlazBlue. Perhaps she would be someone else who is based around teleportation like SHO Minazuki or whatever else.

I just can't see the argument that she'd basically be an Elizabeth clone at all.

PK Gaming

Can't have two Thanatos on screen at the same time though. Would get very confusing.

Orpheus Telos =! Orpheus

It could be argued that Orpheus Telos is is ultimate persona since you need to complete every social link to get it.
Uh dude, Telos is just a reward for maxing out all S.links. It has no bearing on Makoto Yuki's character whatsoever. (It's a re-skinned Orpheus >_>)

Messiah is Makoto Yuki's ultimate Persona. It appears in both the design works& the ending credits as his respective Persona. Telos was an FES addition too!

@Flux:You're right, they could make her different. I guess it just boils to me not wanting another Velvet Room attendant haha.

Necrovex

What does this mean?

I haven't touched Director Cut but vanilla DP played like trash. I love DP for its charm and quirkiness. But I hated actually playing the game.

I plan to pick up DP: DC during the Steam Sale. Persona 2 would also make a glorious VN.

Nachos

Don't say you're disappointed in Soul Hackers, I'm buying it today. :p

Well, it was only my opinion. Buddha clearly liked it.

I would say you are wrong but you are free to feel this way and such :(...you were disappointed in Soul Hackers too!?!?!?

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/3070/w2b4.png

HARD CORE HACKER HACK YOU

I LOVED the setting, mostly because I love weird cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk stuff indicative of the era where they came out like Serial Experiments Lain. I just didn't really care for the gameplay or the characters all that much. The game had so many poorly-explained systems but was so easy (even on hard) that I could just ignore most of them, making the battles really boring. I thought the characters had potential, but were so underdeveloped that even the game realized it and made a big push to tell you that you should care, instead of just letting things unfold organically. I tried to like it, but I stopped ~90% of the way through and couldn't bring myself to care about finishing it, even with so little left. Cassandra Morris was AWESOME as Hitomi, though, and she needs to be in more Persona stuff than just ramen girl.

Oh, and "What will you do?"

We'll see it soon enough. There's going to be some overlap in promotion simply because of how close the target release windows are. There already is. They're talking about P4A2 and PQ, which can't be terribly far apart. I imagine we'll here a lot about P4D and P5 at the same time.

Who knows when that starts though.
Right. There really isn't that much incentive for them to make a push yet, but it's not like they're hurting for opportunities to stay in people's minds, with all the different Persona media coming out. I'm sure they know it's a balancing act to have all of them shown, without any overshadowing the others.

I figure they'll have a big reveal before the next movie, and then have another surge of media around the time the movie comes out, just like with the first movie.

Caladrius

Wait, who are you talking about when you refer to there already being two characters that look identical? Margaret?

Again, there are a ton of things they could do with Margaret that would differentiate her from Elizabeth. She could be a rush-down character instead of a zoning character. Maybe she could be a second puppet character. Perhaps a second stance change character. Another grappler? Maybe she could be a character that actually needs to read her book in the middle of combat to power up ala Tsubaki from BlazBlue. Perhaps she would be someone else who is based around teleportation like SHO Minazuki or whatever else.

I just can't see the argument that she'd basically be an Elizabeth clone at all.

I mean Labrys/SLab and Sho/ SHO are nearly physically identical to each other.

It's not that I think she'd be a clone, but my skepticism about her being a viable option comes from thinking that the game needs to be more interesting to outsiders ,and having multiple sets of similar looking characters is already bad enough when there's a need to present a varied cast. Fighting game enthusiasts are going to notice the differences, but the people on the mass market aren't going to be keenly aware of it and aren't going to be likely to find a pair of similar looking characters very interesting.

kewlmyc

Uh dude, Telos is just a reward for maxing out all S.links. It has no bearing on Makoto Yuki's character whatsoever. (It's a re-skinned Orpheus >_>)

Messiah is Makoto Yuki's ultimate Persona. It appears in both the design works& the ending credits as his respective Persona. Telos was an FES addition too!

@Flux:You're right, they could make her different. I guess it just boils to me not wanting another Velvet Room attendant haha.

I know Messiah is what appears in all the art and ending. But I meant Ultimate as in it takes the most work to get, like Izanagi-no-Ookami (whatever he's called) takes the most effort to get in P4. That what I meant by you could argue that Telos is the "ultimate" persona. Gameplay wise Telos is the "ultimate Persona" of P3FES and P3P. Storywise Messiah would be.

I didn't know that he wasn't in the original P3 though. Elizabeth sounds even more threatening.

It's not that I think she'd be a clone, but my skepticism about her being a viable option comes from thinking that the game needs to be more interesting to outsiders ,and having multiple sets of similar looking characters is already bad enough when there's a need to present a varied cast. Fighting game enthusiasts are going to notice the differences, but the people on the mass market aren't going to be keenly aware of it and aren't going to be likely to find a pair of similar looking characters very interesting.

i mean the game isn't designed for mass market appeal though? it's for (A) fighting game enthusiasts and (B) persona super fans.

PK Gaming

I meant Ultimate as in it takes the most work to get, like Izanagi-no-Ookami (whatever he's called) takes the most effort to get in P4. That what I meant by you could argue that Telos is the "ultimate" persona.

I didn't know that he wasn't in the original P3 though. Elizabeth sounds even more threatening.
Oh, sorry

I usually associate "Ultimate Persona" with a person's final Persona, but I guess it would be more accurate for me to say that it's their awakened or "final" Persona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom